Next Game

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Next Game

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

This is the rough draft of a recruitment thread for my new game:

Now that I sorta have this whole thing figured out……..I think it is time for me to start a brand new 1E game up on here.

Is anyone out there interested in an adventure rife with high fantasy? A game that will run on here indefinitely and allow for characters to develop all the way up from first level newbies to high level heroes packing powerful magic items? The possibility for dangerous and sometimes profitable adventures will be endless in this one, starting out with the very basics and building up from there. A captivating storyline will be systematically uncovered by the characters as you advance along at your own pace. For those interested, this adventure starts out on the high seas followed by a fun little romp across a dense and untamed jungle island. From there......literally anything can happen.

Though loosely based in the world of Greyhawk, this game will be run as a sandbox style adventure with an open world concept, full of mystical magicks and deadly monsters. It will be based heavily on character building and storyline. Players that enjoy creating and expanding on their characters will most certainly enjoy this game as there will be plenty of opportunity to become rich, well equipped, worldly adventurers. There will also be plenty of chances and choices to make (or break) your character. I usually reward exceptional play and smart ideas with bonus experience points, giving the superior player a slight advantage over the players who might not help out that much with the in character role playing or the problem solving aspects of the game.

I already have a few players interested in joining. (from a former game of mine) If anyone else would like to sign on, we can start to develop new groups as more and more players join in. I figure that I could accommodate two or even three complete groups that are running simultaneously at any one time. I would also entertain the idea of running smaller "splinter" groups or even a solo mission or two if that opportunity presented itself. Risky business that solo adventuring, but highly profitable when successful.

So.....anyone up for a long term AD&D game?

The posting rate will likely vary depending on the group you are in, but I can usually reply to a players post in a day or two at the very latest. If I get a group of players that want a faster game, that is fine too. I suspect that the average posting rate will be about every 2 or 3 days.

I have a lot of players asking about this one now. I might not even do a recruiting thread. I might just post this in the game thread and not do a public invite.

We can start character discussion on here but don't post anything permanent as this thread will be archived along with the game. I will start a new thread in the new game once it's created.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Next Game

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will require a short history/background from each character. It doesn't have to be much, I am basically looking for 3 things:

Where are you originally from geographically?

Do you still have any family there (or elsewhere) or any other ties to that area?

How is it that you came to be an adventurer?

It would make it easier for me if you picked places in the general area of the games intro. WoG, somewhere between the Crystalmist and the Lortmil mountain ranges. If your story is good enough, I can make exceptions to this.

Here is a map of the general area. You will be starting out in the Kingdom of Keoland, in the little town of Saltmarsh (not on map), on the west coast of the Azure Sea, on the very northeast edge of the Hool marshes.
IMG_0761.GIF
IMG_0761.GIF (540.88 KiB) Viewed 1191 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

People have been finding flyers like this one posted all over the towns and villages of the Kingdom, especially around the area of Saltmarsh.

Looking For Adventure?

Why not give old Captain Quark a try? Come on down to the docks in Saltmarsh to gain free passage to the island of your dreams. Fun and adventure awaits in a brave new world thanks to a brand new island recently discovered on the Azure Sea. Your help is needed to clear the lands, settle new towns, and claim a small part of this paradise for your very own.

We are looking for several brave adventurers, old and new, that would like to take part in this endeavor. You must have a weapon with you or some other means of protecting yourself. You must also be brave enough to face the unknown, as this island seems to be uninhabited by anyone other than the natural flora and fauna.

If this sounds like something that would be right up your dark ally, then come on down to the Docks district of Saltmarsh at sunrise. There are ships departing daily. Passage is free and it only takes 2 days to get there. Experienced captains are standing by now.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them when you arrive at the dock.

Good Luck!!!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Nuke66 »

Nice, I will need to do a little reading on Greyhawk, but I sure hope the dice are nice to me, a good 'ol fasioned Barbarian would be wonderful!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sorry, no Barbarians. 1E Core classes only in this one I'm afraid. However......

You will have 2 options for rolling up ability scores.

You can create and then roll a macro for six rolls of 4d6, dropping the lowest, and placing them in any order. This must be in a macro and show up as a roll in your log.

Or

You can use 72 points, split however you like, with no scores lower than an 8. This allows for every possible class and makes for some pretty powerful characters. You'll need that.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You can take maximum starting gold to use for equipping your characters. Anything too far out of the norm will have to be run past me first. Remember, if it's not on your sheet, you don't have it.

Please keep rough track of you encumbrance as well. I'm not a huge stickler on this but being overly encumbered will affect your movement rate. Not a good thing when you're running away from.....

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Nuke66 »

OM, do you have a game number for the roller yet?

I suppose I'll see what the dice do before I decide, since a barbarian is out :(

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Not yet.

I have request in though.

Hang tight.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Never mind that last post.

Game ID # is 522

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Nuke66 »

But no thread yet, LOL, Adventures in Greyhawk?

and maybe roll first, then take the 72 points if you get screwed by your roll? Please?

Max HP's too?

and I can't wait!

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Storm11 »

I took the 72 points and made a half-Orc fighter/cleric of Pholtus god of light

Here is his preview sheet

Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nuke66 wrote:But no thread yet, LOL, Adventures in Greyhawk?
Even though this is like my sixth game on here, I still forget how to do these things every single time.

and maybe roll first, then take the 72 points if you get screwed by your roll? Please?
Sorry. If I do that for you, I would have to do it for everyone. Some players already have their characters turned in. :D

Max HP's too?
Yes, max hit points at first level.

and I can't wait! :mrgreen:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Storm11 wrote:I took the 72 points and made a half-Orc fighter/cleric of Pholtus god of light

Here is his preview sheet

Nice.

Encumbrance?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Storm11 »

It's still a work in progress but almost there. Still have to figure out his weight, his encumberance and his saving throws and put a picture up.

But hopefully he is ok as a PC so far. I wondered if he could gain further cleric levels after 4th if he found a book or used a wish spell or an ioun stone of power or got lucky with the deck of many things etc?

Also how are you doing the initial aging modification, are they added to the scores at creation or only afterwards once we are in play a while? Cheers ears
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Storm11 wrote:It's still a work in progress but almost there. Still have to figure out his weight, his encumberance and his saving throws and put a picture up.
Cool!

But hopefully he is ok as a PC so far. I wondered if he could gain further cleric levels after 4th if he found a book or used a wish spell or an ioun stone of power or got lucky with the deck of many things etc?
Ya, he looks alright from here. You know.....anything can happen in a fantasy world. :D

Also how are you doing the initial aging modification, are they added to the scores at creation or only afterwards once we are in play a while?
I don't think Ive ever used that. You can pick your age and make any modifications that you'd like. Once the game starts, I will be keeping close track of time as it passes.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Inferno »

With Scouring of the Shire wrapping up, I'll be able to join this game. Thanks for running it, OM.

Given the idea of years passing in the campaign, I thought it might be interesting to play a 10 year old who grows up during the course of the game; the events of which form his adult personality. I'm thinking a human street urchin/Artful Dodger type, who escapes trouble in Saltmarsh by stowing away onboard Quark's ship with no idea where it is headed.

Either that or Blodget is returned to 1st level by the capricious Efreeti that had made him 9th level as a cruel joke.

Either way, I'll play a thief. When I'm back home, I'll decide and get you a sheet.

Nuke, fwiw, I always thought the Ranger was originally designed to cover some of the barbarian's rugged outdoorsman abilities, but it gets kind of lost in the whole 'Aragorn, Ranger of the North' baggage. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Inferno wrote:With Scouring of the Shire wrapping up, I'll be able to join this game. Thanks for running it, OM.
I saved a spot for you.

Given the idea of years passing in the campaign, I thought it might be interesting to play a 10 year old who grows up during the course of the game; the events of which form his adult personality. I'm thinking a human street urchin/Artful Dodger type, who escapes trouble in Saltmarsh by stowing away onboard Quark's ship with no idea where it is headed.
Love this! (with a few modifications)

Either that or Blodget is returned to 1st level by the capricious Efreeti that had made him 9th level as a cruel joke.
Also fine by me.

Either way, I'll play a thief. When I'm back home, I'll decide and get you a sheet.

Nuke, fwiw, I always thought the Ranger was originally designed to cover some of the barbarian's rugged outdoorsman abilities, but it gets kind of lost in the whole 'Aragorn, Ranger of the North' baggage.
I would also agree with this opinion. It would be easy enough to make a Barbarian-like character using the Ranger stats and rules. It's just a name.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#18 Post by Scott308 »

I was thinking elven ranger, since that would be different than whatever else I have played since I joined the Servant, but if you want to go with the ranger option to replace your barbarian, go right ahead, Nuke. I'll play something else.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Happy to see the interest guys!

Here's what things are looking like so far:

Storm- Half-orc Fighter/Cleric
Inferno- a thief
Nuke- Barbarian ?
Scott- Ranger something else?

? Bluehorse ?

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Nuke66 »

Well, we will see what the dice say. Ranger is an option. I still am not quite sure why the UA classes are out, but I abide by OgreMages decision. Inferno's concept is kinda fit for a thief-acrobat under UA, I doubt anyone would be interested in a Cavalier, so the Barbarian is the only real addition. I do understand the 'magic-user' avoidance issue, but that generally is, shall we say, modified. Is the lack of the rule book? It is available as a .pdf download.

But, Imma gonna roll up here and see what happen with base stats.

Scott, if you want to do the ranger thing, go ahead!

Return to “Dark Clouds Gather AD&D 1E”