Agents of the Denver-Pacific.

Stirling
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Stirling »

Departing Cheyenne. Heading along the rail track to Laramie.

2.00pm.
May 3rd 1879.

Rourke and Alice complete their morning rituals. For the martial artist it consists of some contemplative meditation and flowing oriental kata's. It ends with some more savage blows on stuffed cushions. Rourke's 'morning glory' exercise is disappointed as Ms Terri leaves before sunrise.

Horses are named and claimed at the livery. Intent on some practise, Rourke suffers a fall and injuries his pride. You collect supplies and head off on the mission to recover the kidnapped surveyor from the native tribe. With little information to go on, the decision is taken to ride out to the spot the rail track laying was halted.

Laramie (in the Deadlands map at least) lies about 60 miles due north of Cheyenne. The prospect of a two days journey in the saddle being cut to a handful of hours by rail, welcome to all except the plain Indians who for unknown reasons have launched a pre-emptive strike to halt the lines progress. That the railhead serving the Cheyenne North platform carries a plaque which simply states 'This line terminates here' is ominous or not is yet to be discovered.

The track leaves the town initially heading eastwards towards Allerdice Springs, a collection of farmhouses built under the lee of a ridge of granite rocks which fringe the western stretch of open plains. These first few miles pass without incident. The going is slow as you adjust to life in the saddle and bond with your horses. Despite the farrier disparaging their attitudes, both mounts are well behaved. You reach the settlement in mid-afternoon.

Passing a couple of arable farms on the outskirts you follow the track until it comes to the station. As well as a basic arrivals / departure platform and ticket office, the station here has a few carriages and stock wagons. Presently the carriages double as bunkhouses for the railroad labour crews who restlessly lounge about.

okay. Give an action post or anything you would like to do or investigate here.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

Re: Agents of the Denver-Pacific.

#2 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

By the time Alice has finished her morning exercises, her bright mood has returned. All through the day she follows Rourke's lead, carefully watching everything he does so she can learn more about being out on her own. Out on the trail she's quieter than she had been the previous few days, but this time it's because she is taking in the wonders of the great outdoors. It is a beautiful spring day and though she may end up a bit saddle soar by days end, she enjoys every minute of it.

Upon reaching Allerdice Springs, Alice still defers to her partner on handling introductions and procuring a place to stay for the night. She is content to be the 'silent partner' of the pair until she feels more experienced.

Question: Were Alice and Rourke given any kind of credentials they can present indicating they are agents of Denver-Pacific?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Bluetongue »

The next morning you breakfast and see Mr Bartlett in his office. He has an official contract for you which authorises you to work and investigate on behalf of the Denver-Pacific. 
Rourke he asked also as part of his new clothes for a badge or buckle to fasten his neck string. I guess he has a paper copy of the contract in his jacket pocket.

He leisurely trots his horse up to the closest gathering of workers. "Good afternoon. How is the siesta? Is there a foreman among you?" He dismounts, tying the horse (still unnamed, maybe keep Domino or Deuce). He makes sure the DP brand is visible. He waits a moment for an answer and looks for a likely office or desk.

What can he notice among the workmen? I am interested if folk are wounded from the Indian raid (how recent was that exactly?). Are they beligerent, friendly, scared, armed?

In fact he will state the reasons for their arrival. "I understand work has been halted recently because of trouble with the Pawnee. We are here to investigate the incident and track down the surveyor. Who can tell me what happened? "

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

Allerdice Springs. East of Cheyenne.

3.00pm.

The duo approach a crew of workers lazing around the station. You demonstrate your authority and one gopher jumps up and shows you to an office. A senior amongst them appears, doffing his cap but eyeing you suspiciously.

"Kinda caught us off guard. Sure work has been halted and the men are weary and well ... kinda scared. They been through a lot recently and no use lying. Difficult to motivate the labourers when incidents and accidents happen. Been that way best part of a month. Truth be told we are losing men. Get paid by the yardage we lay and if the track laying halts we don't get paid."

You can see among the workmen, several are bandaged with minor wounds. One of the carriages contains some more severely injured workers. "Local doctor does what he can. Clean wounds, keep gangrene at bay," one says.

As far as the surveyor goes you obtain the following information from the foreman.

"The progress towards Laramie was cutting across a wide vale. About a dozen miles due north. Claimed to have been old sacred burial grounds but the Sioux withdrew long ago. Anyway, the line was attacked by a band of warpainted natives in a co-ordinated attack. During the night the camp tents were over run in a stampede. Braves slaughtered the workers who sought refuge among the carriage stock, taking many scalps. The surveyor, Abel Tyrone who was directing the route got taken away, bound. The supply wagons derailed and the small shunting engine literally sliced apart.

And that is not all ... many of the labourers fled back along the track they had laid, harassed as they ran. Like 'Gomorrah and Lot's wife'. Those who choose to look back at the unfolding destruction, well they were turned into 'pillars of salt.

The men are afraid to go back. A reconnaissance crew went a week or more ago but they have not returned since."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Enjoys the new authority his recent deposition has acquainted him with. Flashing his badge and widest smile.

"Well, we come from the seat of the highest office. That be Mr Bartlett's to you and me. An this here railroad ain't stopping for hell or high water. No Indian trouble either.

Sure I heard right that this branch gonna be named Denver-Canada and your crew been setting a rock solid foundation for sure. Now Mr Bartlett don't want no 'month behind' schedule. Double time for a month but double pay. Just get this stock rolling and track laying.

Now I appreciate your concerns. Deputy Alice and I have come to 'get you back on track' and to get you back Mr Tyrone.

Indian raids is one thing but filling these men heads with wrath of God judgements is another. Folk running from dangers imagine all kinds of frightful fancies coming to take their scalps. We will go investigate your scouts and check out the site. Now tomorrow being Sabbath, I'll expect you men to ready your gear come Monday morning."

now Rourke doesn't have much persuasive skill so I rolled this if needed:
Rourke tries Persuasion (unskilled) [1d4-2] = 2-2 = 0 WC [1d6] = 3

Maybe Alice could use her charm to encourage the workers, speak to them about how Laramie is cut off in Indian territory and the need to get through or something else creative. And ask any questions I missed.

Not really planned much together but restarting the labour will be a credit for us.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#6 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

Alice listens intently to the foreman's story. She doesn't know who 'Gomorrah and Lot's wife' are, but she's a bit disturbed by the imagery the foreman describes about workers being turned to salt. It seems unlikely, probably a wild exaggeration, but then she could do some things that most people would scoff at as well so it would be safer to be on guard.

The martial artist is a little disappointed at the cavalier attitude her partner seems to have for these clearly harried workers. Sure, the ultimate goal is to get the rail line completed, but the safety of the workers is just as important in her eyes. It's the foreman's job to take care of the workers; it is the job of herself and Mr. Rourke to rescue the kidnapped surveyor and possibly figure out what has the locals so riled up.

Still, she doesn't want to outright contradict her partner in public, so she tries to be diplomatic. "Mr. Foreman, would it be possible to talk with some of your men who have first-hand accounts of what happened? Also, is there anyone in this camp who knows the language of the natives in this area?" she asks the older man softly.

It would have been helpful if Mr. Bartlett had recruited a local guide or at least someone who can speak the local languages to accompany us, Alice thinks to herself. Maybe they'll get lucky and one of the camp workers picked up some of the local tongue. She would much rather come to some kind of accord with the local tribe than to fight them. She and Mr. Rourke would be at a severe disadvantage if it comes down to a fight, being both outnumbered and with the locals being much more familiar with the lay of the land than they would be.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Stirling »

Alice Go ahead and give me a persuasion roll.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by Gremlin »

Talking isn't her thing [1d4-2] = 3-2 = 1, [1d6-2] = 5-2 = 3

Alice gets +2 to her Charisma from her attractiveness, but -2 from her outsiderness so that's a wash unless they don't care that she's Chinese.
Also, I noticed only one out of all our characters has any skill in Persuasion...

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Stirling »

Allerdice Springs. East of Cheyenne,

3.15pm.

The foreman listens intently to the two agents.

Foreman: opposed roll Persuasion Smarts [1d6] = 4

Alice the +2/-2 would cancel each other out correctly but your Wild Card roll is not subject to the penalty for non-skill use like the persuasion roll. So I will take the 5 result.

He clearly is not impressed. "Well 'deputy greenhorn', you come with your fancy clothes on a fancy horse and speaking such fancy words. I've no doubt that fancy Mr Bartlett is safe behind his desk and wants us 'whipping in order'. It is one thing when a man downs tools like a yellow quitter and another thing to call a man out as a liar.

Now you listen to our terms. Come Monday morning you give us a 'bona fide' all clear and the wagon wheels will roll. In the meantime, the Denver-Pacific can show good faith and pay the Doctor's fees.

In answer to you Ma'am. Wagon yonder with the green cross got the most injured men in. They can give you all the up and close personal testimony you need."

He looks you both in the eye then summons one of the men. "Billy Two-Jaws around here? Go fetch him." The man leaves. "Billy speaks some local lingo. He might be willing if you ask him. His choice, his scalp."

Within a few moments a scruffy olive skinned youth appears. He has typical native black hair and facial features but speaks with a local accent.

okay post your actions and conversations. Include any rolls for use of trait skills.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#10 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

Alice tries not to look amused as the foreman dresses down Mr. Rourke. When he's finished saying his piece, she tips her hat to him and says, "Thank you kindly, sir. I am sure the Denver-Pacific will do right by your men. I will personally relay your request for reimbursement of medical expenses to Mr. Bartlett with my endorsement when we return to Cheyenne. The rail line could never be finished without the hard work of you and your men; I will make sure Mr. Bartlett recognizes your efforts."

Turning to her partner, Alice remarks, "If I may be so bold Mr. Rourke, perhaps you could begin interviewing the injured men to get more details about what happened. I think I should speak to Mr... um, Two-Jaws."

At that, Alice approaches Billy. With a respectful bow, she says, "Good afternoon, Mr. Two-Jaws. I am Deputy Alice. Me and my partner Deputy Rourke have been sent by Denver-Pacific to rescue Mr. Tyrone and to hopefully settle the dispute with the local Pawnee. I would very much like to do both without any further bloodshed. You can speak the native language, yes? Would you be willing to translate while we attempt to mediate this dispute? Denver-Pacific would pay for your services, of course."

Master Negotiator Alice [1d4-2] = 1-2 = -1, [1d6] = 4

Modified by whatever combination of Attractiveness, Outsider, unskilled and/or offer of money that the GM sees fit to apply.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Puts his hand in his jacket and pulls out his wallet. He counts out $35. "So the Doctor does what he can. I think this will be enough to cover sufficient for the past week's administrations. Let us not trouble Mr Bartlett any more than we need." He pushes the cash over the desk to the foreman. "I'll take a receipt and your report on the men. How many were lost in the incident. Perhaps the Doctor can advise on those affected long term with broken bones and those considered a liability and in need of being pensioned out." Rourke makes the last point direct at the foreman. "Include details on missing stock and supply shortfalls. We will all do what's neccessary to ensure any bottlenecks to the track laying is uncorked. Now before our business concludes here, I will go talk to your men and understand the situation we may be heading towards."

Rourke tries Persuasion (unskilled) [1d4-2] = 2-2 = 0 WC [1d6] = 6

Rourke tries Persuasion WC Ace re-roll [1d6] = 5

He hopes the cash down payment and veiled threat will demonstrate his determination and not be brow beaten by the outspoken foreman.

Going to the Infirmary carriage next. I will ask the men to describe the chronology of what happened and also any recent history of native harassment. Also any specific information relevant to Abel Tyrone. what he looks like, his nature, skills, job specification.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Stirling »

3.20pm.

Foreman: opposed roll Persuasion Smarts [1d6] = 4 Rourke plays verbal poker with the foreman and wagers against influencing the man's job. He gets a raise with his persuasion meaning the foreman bites his tongue instead of increasing the machismo and heading towards a 'situation' in the office. He calls the gopher again and instructs him to find the Doctor who can give a clearer medical diagnosis for the injured. "Yep, I got some papers and reports. Take me a while to file them together. You go about your business they'll be ready for when you depart."

Rourke enters the green cross carriage. Sunlight filters through the blinds to reveal a makeshift medical facility. One end of the carriage are walking wounded, still bearing the trauma of being pierced by arrows or coshed by war club or tomahawk. It is noticeable there are no gunshots wounds. Clearly the natives stick to the 'Old Ways', forsaking modern weapons and technology.

The far side of the carriage has several men in various stages of traction, pulleys hoisting ropes to set fractures and bone breaks suffered by the crushing and bludgeoning impact blows of being run over in the stampede.

The men talk, sharing common experiences."Abel Tyrone worked with an 'Indian agent' in Laramie.

Tall guy, middle aged, bespectacled but not bookish. A geologist fellow from back east. Spoke with a quiet authority. Likeable. Diligent. A taskmaster."
You get various eulogy regarding his character positively.

"We were laying a portion of the track to circle around some ancient piece of grassland. We bored a tunnel through one set of hills to divert the rail. Seems like one tribe got more upset than the other. Supply wagons started getting bush whacked first. Then outriders were found shot to pieces by arrows. Tyrone and the Indian agent tried to find the root cause but the Sioux council were not interested in discussion. Seems like there is some internal struggle going on that we are not privy too."

"Buffalo came outta nowhere. You could hear them like one hears a train before it rounds the bend. Earth vibrates with their thunderous hooves. They ran right across the encampment. Driven by whooping and hollering war painted assassins. Faces painted with vermilion and black dye. They had wild eyes like they were hysterical, berserk.

Worse was this great beast. A giant of a buffalo, the colour of rust and dried blood. It exhaled hot steam and had horns like an elephants tusks. It charged the shunt engine, goring it apart like a tin of sardines.

Some of us sought refuge, some fought, others ran. Those who headed for the tunnel suffered worse. The beast harried them, tossing and trampling many.

It threw me in a ditch. My legs broke I crawled away into the bush. It snorted and reared. My colleagues looked frozen in fear. When dawn came they still stood where I last set eyes on them. Frozen they were. As if carved from the sandstone."

You get some garbled stories. There is no distinct reason apparent.

Alice talks with Billy Two Jaws. "I speak Oglala Sioux on account of my Ma. Pa traded fur skins with the chief. Must have had a dowry for Ma too. So Indians named for for my bilingual heritage. Can jibber and jabber some other too. Ain't spoke much in a while though."
Billy Two Jaw recruit roll [1d6] = 3

He listens to your request. "Well. I would like to help, specially so since the men got hurt so bad. If you can get me a horse. Foreman Joe keeps a couple in the yard corral. Do I get deputised? I guess I could pack my things real easy."

So, you successfully recruit Billy to scout abd translate for you. Post any further actions or questions.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

Upon recruiting Billy, Alice gives him a sincere "Thank you, with your help hopefully we can save lives", then leads the both of them to the quartermaster. She politely uses her authority as a deputy of the railroad to temporarily requisition a horse for their new guide, showing her badge if necessary.

That taken care of, Alice joins Rourke in the temporary infirmary to listen to the tail end of the stories the men are telling her partner. In her opinion it is likely getting too late now to leave camp, not with hostile natives in the area, but aside from opining to Rourke that it would be safest to leave first thing in the morning, she will defer to the gunman's judgement.

I will make a roll for the requisition in case it is necessary.
Persuasion to requisition a horse [1d4-2] = 4-2 = 2, [1d6] = 3
Ace roll [1d4] = 1
Only a 3 either way, but hopefully the roll isn't necessary or at least gets a bonus due to her being an official agent. Otherwise I'll need to adjust my post a bit to acknowledge the difficulty in getting a horse for Billy.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Tries to empathise with the wounded men. Stories of Indian attacks he can relate too, as well as stampedes though his experience is with horses not herd creatures of the plains. The giant buffalo, sounds more like a dragon but surely they are fantasy stories. Still he was shaken by the wolfboy changing form and that was a first to see. He rubs his chin in some disbelief but politely nods as he listens.

The Indian agent in Laramie. That might be a person to enquire about. He will have a bigger idea of the tribes in the area hopefully and some local knowledge. Too far to travel there and return here.

He shares what he has learned with Alice. "We have a supposedly kidnapped surveyor, hopefully still alive. The Indians might feel he has some intrinsic value to keeping him alive. The 'recon' group of labourers less so. Been gone a week plus. Sounds ominous.

The line stoppage is only a dozen miles. We can make it in two or three hours. Still a few hours left of daylight and we can return if there is any trouble."

"Billy Two-Jaws. Do you know where the recon group went. Can you take us to the vale where the Indians and buffalo stampeded?

Better sort him out a personal weapon too as well as a horse. Does the foreman or any of the labourers have a shotgun or rifle he can use.

If everything is agreeable we can depart, I guess following the laid track to the scene.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Stirling »

3.45pm.

Alice organises a mount for Billy Two Jaws. There are a couple of lean and flighty ones tied to the rear yard posts.

"Bring her back and don't get yourself into any trouble." The foreman advises Billy. He hands an old shotgun and some cartridges over as well. "Keep yourself safe. The boys will be proud of you."

Rourke shares his findings abd determines to set off while daylight remains.

Late in the afternoon the trio trot off, soon leaving the wooden houses and shanty shacks of the small town turning by the outcrop of rocks which run along the ridge line to your east. You ride northwards across some undulating grasslands following the laid track. Billy Two-Jaws points out some local features. "Those Hells-Bells been laying tracks from the east, all the way through Kansas and Nebraska.
Ain't to fussed about those folk, even name their stations by devilish names. Hades, Gath, Abyss. I say any trouble we get is caused by them folk."
He says of the Wasatch Railroad, one of the main competitors to the Denver-Pacific.

"To the south-east I hear the Union reinforcing some old encampments. We got a new iron bridge crossing the creek ahead. Then more open country. Line goes straight until the Uncas Horseshoe, that's a curve of hills which we tunnelled through. After that ... well you'll see for yourself."

Flowing from it's source in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, the La Ramie Tears Creek waters run bubbling over smoothed boulders, still cool in the spring sunshine. The iron bridge which crosses the banks is supported by a single stone pillar which has been erected in the middle. The squat structure has been carved with two faces, almost like a large totem pole. One depicts a western face the other a tribal figure which looks upstream. Short fir trees, sycamore and walnut grow along the banks, casting shadows on the creek in the fading light.

at this point I will ask for Notice checks and any actions or further questions you may want to ask.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Rourke Notice roll [1d6] = 2 Wild Card [1d6] = 1

He should be more wary, Indian massacre and steam breathing buffaloes, but he seems unconcerned or ignorant of any dangers ahead.

Reaching the bridge I will take my horse down to the creek to water it. As he rides along he will ask Billy Two-Jaws, "Did the Union nvestigate the massacre. We ran into some troopers on the journey from Denver. Officer seemed keen to fulfill all his duties. Would think the raids be a good mission for them?

Have all the tribes relocated into Sioux Nations territory? What do you know of this 'sacred ground' that the surveyor navigated around?

Have the Denver-Pacific had much trouble, physical trouble, fighting, sabotage and the like from the Wasatch RR or their agents?

Can he make out any significant details on the carved faces of the supporting pillar.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#17 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

As before, Alice is mostly enjoying the scenery. However, when Rourke isn't questioning Billy she does attempt to strike up a conversation with their guide. Just things like where he's from and how he likes working for the railroad. While she is genuinely curious about Billy, she is also trying to gauge how Denver-Pacific treats the average worker in their employ.

When they reach the bridge, Alice also leads Copper down to the creek for some water. She is more interested in the river and trees than the bridge itself.

Notice [1d4] = 2, Wild die [1d6] = 3

Not noticing anything unusual Alice wanders a little along the shore, looking to see if there are any small, smooth stones that are suitable for throwing.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Stirling »

Bridge over La Ramie Tears Creek.

Six miles north of Allerdice Springs.

4.50pm.

The three riders spur their horses alongside the track line, conversing as they go. Billy Two-Jaws answers as he is able. "Union cavalry were informed and they followed a trail to the border with Sioux and halted.

As far as I know, most tribes have joined the newly established Nations but as they live nomadic lives and hunt migratory herds, several groups routinely cross into Wyoming. We get war parties harassing stray pioneers or isolated farmsteads.

Don't know so much about the land they circumnavigated. I think old chiefs or medicine men had history there.

There was the Battle of Boulder. Not sure of the repercussions but a lot of Wasatch hardware got left to become scrap. Rumour has it conflict is coming somehow. If they want to reach California then they got to bypass our lines and the mountains somehow."

In response to Alice he shares, "Been labouring probably since I left school. Work is regular. Seems though most guys drink and whore their money away, if you pardon my language Miss. Denver-Pacific sell us a dream that 'a better day is coming'. They try to apprentice novices with trained men, if you show aptitude for stuff they at least try to promote skills. For bridge building or working in the ironworks or like mapping for Mr Tyrone. Seems no better or worse than grousing around town or being saddle sore herding beefstock. But then that's all I know."

You stop at the creek to water your horses and refresh yourselves. Alice you can find a pouchful of egg shaped stones. Billy tries to help but finds himself just skimming stones across the waters. He challenges you to see who can achieve the most skips.

Rourke studies the carved Indian face on the supporting pillar. It is a typical caricature and not representative of any figure you may recognise. A small flock of geese, disturbed by the stone flinging fly into the air from a patch of thick reeds. They fly honking overhead and pass the bridge. A couple fly low under the bridge span and apparently get entangled in some draping wire, snaring a leg or wing and leaving them dangling in mid air a few feet below the track and close to the pillar.

"Got goose on the menu if we can reach them. Don't want to pepper them full of lead pellets though." Billy says looking at the pair of you in anticipation of dinner.

next actions and any rolls please.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

"Well let's have a gander at these geese." He tries a play on words.

How wide is the river and the distance between the bank to the pillar? How deep the waters? And how high the bridge over the creek?

Would still have to climb up the tower and stretch out to grab a goose by its leg or wing. He assesses how possible is looks to scale the pillar, using some of the carved features as hand and footholds. Maybe best to check out from the top down first?

So Rourke will walk across the bridge to just above the pillar and look over the fence or barrier. Can he see between the wooden sleepers the river below or is the bridge solid along its length? If he can't see the geese he hopes to hear them or at least get some hand signals from the bank.

Looking for a way to reach the snared geese.

Rourke Notice roll [1d6] = 4 Wild Card [1d6] = 5

"Billy If I shoot the geese and cut them loose can you make it below so they don't get swept away?"

I am thinking too that a brace of wild fowl will be a pretty meal and could be used as trade in any exchange of information with Indians we might meet?

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

With her horse watered, Alice leads her to a meadow next to the trail to forage for a little while while the men puzzle out how to catch a goose. She's not too keen on joining them since she doesn't want to risk falling into the creek over a bird. Growing up she didn't have the opportunity to learn how to swim.

"Do you think that will take long?" she asks. "It's getting late and I'd rather not be out in hostile territory in the dark."

She tries not to sound impatient, but she doesn't want to dally her for too long.

Return to “Deadlands Reloaded (Savage Worlds)”