Kult: Divinity Lost (Recruiting)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Kult: Divinity Lost (Recruiting)

#1 Post by drpete »

I'd like to try to give the recent reboot of the classic horror game a try if there are interested players.

The idea of the game is that the world, as we know it, is a lie, designed to keep us docile and asleep, but that world is crumbling, revealing horrors to those awake enough to see them. Sort of a cross between Matrix and Hellraiser. We would discuss just how gruesome/edgy you wanted the game to be.

The setting for the game will be (at first) 1920s NYC. Players would play prison guards unaware of the "illusion", what the game calls "sleepers". If the game goes for a while, we would eventually move to the modern day, with "awakened" characters.
Last edited by drpete on Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: LFP for Kult: Divinity Lost

#2 Post by Scott308 »

OK. I looked this up, and if you can put enough rules in the game forum for us to be able to create characters and get the basics down, I'd be interested. Honestly, you had me at Hellraiser! I would be down for as gruesome/ edgy as possible. I like my horror movies/ books beyond the point where most people have to tap out, so full-on extreme horror would be fine with me. Less than that, if others aren't comfortable with that level, would be ok as well.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

The basic game mechanic is roll 2d10+stat.

15+ is a success, 10+ is success with complications, 9- is " your attempt has unintended repercussions".

These starting characters would have a few stats (arranged by the player), a "dark secret" (chosen from a list, but forgotten as of start of play, background stuff that might slowly get revealed) a few "disadvantages" (also from a list. More directly relevant, like: haunted, greedy, etc). Some relationships get defined, appearance, etc, and we'd be ready to go.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

For the curious, here is a link to the quickstart, alpha version of the rules (on bgg, so I think this is legit...?)

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1414 ... ules-alpha
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by rossik »

im in! can i play with only the quickstart?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by drpete »

Sure can :)

As I mentioned, above, we'd be playing slightly simpler characters than the archetypes in the quickstart... regular people, rather than partially awakened.

One issue with this is that you would pick "any" of the dark secrets and disadvantages, rather than from curated lists by archetype, so I'll compile a list. The rules for the individual disadvantages are contained inside various archetypes in the quickstart, so there would be some cross referencing to do.
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by rossik »

awesome! can i be a librarian kind of pc? just made one for a game here, might use the same background to see if he can survive both games, heheh
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by drpete »

Well, the starting situation will be that you are prison guard captains. If you would like to be very bookish, that's fine... :)
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Urson »

Ok- if you're doing this, I'll give it a try. I don't mind gore/grue, but I'm not wild about blood/pain/body horror for its own sake.
FA FO
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by drpete »

Alright, welcome aboard :)

We can have a conversation about the types of horror you want/enjoy, and places we don't want to go, absolutely.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Urson »

I guess mostly it's a matter of having seen players get wrapped up in playing out torture scenes.
There are monstrous things in the world- and worse in game worlds- but the PC's (and Players) don't really need to be Monstrous IMHO.
....And if that means this is the wrong game for me, I'll politely bow out now. No judgements, I just choose not to be part of that kind of thing.
FA FO
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by drpete »

Huh... ok. I guess I thought I was agreeing with your request, but... hope to play with you in something else, some time. Cheers.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:For the curious, here is a link to the quickstart, alpha version of the rules (on bgg, so I think this is legit...?)

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1414 ... ules-alpha
Admin Note
This file has been researched and is fine.
  • I found this on Facebook (here):
    Facebook.png
    Facebook.png (206.23 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
  • Which, when you go to download the file from their Dropbox, is the file being shared in the BGG post:
    File.png
    File.png (25.79 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
So, use away! :D
[/ooc]
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by rossik »

i believe my only "dont" is about rape or other sexual violence
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#15 Post by Scott308 »

drpete wrote:Huh... ok. I guess I thought I was agreeing with your request, but... hope to play with you in something else, some time. Cheers.
I don't think Urson was backing out of the game, just that if it was going to veer that way, he would not want to play. I think we should be able to accommodate no sexual violence or torture by PCs (beyond possibly saying something like "Bob tortures the prisoner to get a confession." No need to go into detail on things like that. Is that pretty accurate, Urson?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Urson »

Yeah, that covers it. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. I think most of us can see the difference between hard-edge RP and some sick puppy getting his kicks. I was just saying that if we wander across that line, people should take a step back and re-think what they're doing.
FA FO
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by drpete »

Oh, yeah... no prob.

The setting *does* include things like "hell" (inferno) where people are tortured/tormented by demonic beings, etc, but it doesn't need to be made super graphic, or be done by PCs...
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by drpete »

Alright, to answer Urson's question a wee bit more explicitly, in terms of where I was intending to go...

The characters in this game are, by construction, somewhat more morally compromised than in a heroic fantasy story. They have darkness in their pasts, and flaws that will play a role in their story.

In the scenario I am intending to run, you would be guard captains for a tough warden. Some questions I will ask in character creation are:

What did you do to impress the Warden, so that he made you a guard captain?

How, if at all, are you connected to the network of bribes and contraband that flows through the prison?

Since arriving, the Warden has been encouraging the guards to enforce stricter disciplinary measures in the overcrowded prison. A few inmates have died as a result, but you have gotten a handle on a discipline situation that was growing hopeless. Further, your new promotion depends on doing as the warden says. How have you justified this to yourself *so far* and how comfortable/uncomfortable are you with the status quo?

I'd say that we can steer clear of "torture" stuff in this scenario, but there's a zone there of "do you play along?" stuff built into the premise above. Does that sound too dark? I'm open to tweaking it...
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by rossik »

fine by me

Peter Brent

Peter always thought about doing the right thing. His grampa was a preacher and his dad were cops, both died in the same car incident.
After the first impressions about his new job at the prison, he soon figure it out a way to survive there and keep his creed: the prisoners must remain inside the bars at all cost.
Obsessed with his physic, Peter train a lot to make himself a "perfect instrument" to insure the will of law and God. He takes no bribes, often answering that kind of offer with violence.

One day he found plans of escape inside a mattress, and one by one, he corrected all responsible by it.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Urson »

Your plans and intent look fine to me. If I had read the 'quickstart' book sooner, my misgivings wouldn't have come up. I understand a lot better now the intent of the game. Deal me in- but I'll need to think about a character concept.
Are you just using the 4 archetypes listed? Or are there more?
FA FO

Return to “Looking for players or games”