wolfpack
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

and so it begins.....

#1 Post by wolfpack »

Location: The Wooden Splinter, city of Markainus, the kingdom of Arisland
Time: Winter 4th term

Brother and sister look on as the tavern employee drags the unconscious man out of the door and dumps him in the street. The owner bends over and pockets the lose teeth that were left behind on the floor.

Apparently calling the cheap gin swill and making threats isn't worth the 2 copper pieces the putrid drink costs. Hildr makes a mental note to suggest to her brother to find a better inn next time, they could certainly afford better than this.

Sarin just smiles at the scene, this place always appealed to the vagabond in him.

Hildr had journeyed here to the gateway city (so called because it is the first city of Arisland one passes through when traveling from Starlorn through the more wild terrain) on behest of the Council of Priests in Oslodin. Her mentor, Venheim a council member, gave her instruction to come to Markainus and meet with the high priest here. there were some disturbing rumors that Hildr must investigate.

Venheim would not tell her exactly what the rumors were, saying it is best to get it directly from the head priest in Markainus so nothing would be lost in translation. He gave her council to keep this to herself and consider this assignment official church business, no one not even her brother should know the details. She was acting as an agent of the council and the Lord Priest himself was aware of the rumors and that the council was dispatching an agent. For his part Venheim was skeptical of the rumors.

Sarin hearing that his beloved sister would be traveling joined her, he had been here before when searching for information on his true father so had some familiarity with the city.
Last edited by wolfpack on Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: and so it begins.....

#2 Post by Rex »

Hildr

"Sarin, I am going to see the High Priest. Where do you want to meet later? Perhaps somewhere other than this place would be best."

Hildr readies her gear and once she has a response from Sarin she heads to the find the High Priest.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sarin "Meet? What you mean I can't go with you dear sister?" he says with a sly grin knowing well she wouldn't want him to be anywhere near a high priest. "Whatever is wrong with this establishment? I find it rather comfy. If you can overlook the random tooth here and there and the swill they call gin. Just remember duck dodge dip and duck. That's usually how i avoid the random swinging fist anyway. Oh very well if you do not wish to meet here we can meet somewhere else. No I wont even jokingly suggest a brothel...again." he smiles and chuckles thinking about the one time he told his sister to meet him at a brothel that she didn't know that was what it was until she got there. "Did you have someplace in mind sis? Perhaps the local bladesmith's? Or I suppose we could meet at a guildhouse if you'd prefer."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Hildr

"I will meet you at the Armor and Arms Emporium then. You can look at all the blades you want."

Hildr then heads off to meet the High Priest.
GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sarin "So be it. I shall see you there, don't take too long I do so get easily distracted when I'm bored." he chuckles.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Hildr

Hildr heads to the Armor and Arms Emporium and meets with Sarin.

"Come along I want a place we can talk without being overheard."

She then heads outside and finds a place she is confident they won't be heard by anyone. "Is this good, anyone around?"

Assuming Sarin thinks it is safe, if not ignore the conversation.

"The High Priest wants us to investigate strange going ons at the temple of Odin. We will go there tonight at 10:30 and give the individual who we meet our weapons and armor, then we will go to dawn prayer and when they ask for those who wish to join the priesthood we will volunteer. We will then be placed in the acolyte dorm. I think it best we pretend not to know each other. The High Priest meets with the acolytes individually once a week so we will give him our updates then. Do you have any questions or ideas Sarin? I know it is a lot but I have to do this and I think I will need your help."
GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sarin finishes up his business and walks over to his sister hand on the hilt of a new sword smiling proudly. "Some place private huh well I think I know just the alley." he says. Once to the location he looks around knowing all the secret places to eavesdrop in this alley and once he determines it clear he will signal his sister.

"Hmm I'll do it but wont me walking around with blades be a dead giveaway that I'm not an acolyte? I never did train on the priestly weaponry you know." he groans abit a the through of having to sneak into a temple "Granted we'll be lucky if i don't burst into flames setting foot into a temple of any kind save for a temple to Hermes."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Hildr

"You will be fine, Hermes will understand. It falls right under his type of thing. Acolytes primarily train with the spear which has an edge so you will do fine. Our weapons will be hidden in a closet in the High Priests office if we need them."
GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sarin looks down "But I just bought this one...I don't want to leave it with some high priest..." he sighs disappointingly. "Spears ugh. I do so prefer my sword..." he trails off. "Fine...what else is there to this? Were there more details?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Hildr

"Yes, but you wont like them. Over the last several months he has noticed several of there normal parishioners have disappeared. They were all poor and most homeless so no one took notice. They contacted the guard and they searched for them but found no trace. It is their opinion they just left the city, however that seemed out of character.

They did not go any further until last week when one of there 1st year acolytes came to me. He said he had noticed strange things around the acolyte barracks.

He found remnants of burnt offering that were not in sacrificed in the temple hearth, and among the ash he found this a child tooth that was scorched.

He also swears he saw a blood stain on the bathhouse floor. We investigated but found nothing, we also questioned the acolytes even using a prayer to the all father to indicate lies and nothing.

The High Priest asked him to just keep his eyes and ears open among the others and in the barracks and he intended to follow his situation. Two days later he disappeared and has not been heard from again.

The High Priest then counseled with great Odin through divination. As is often the case when dealing with divine powers the answer is never completely clear. However it was clear something is a miss within our congregation and there is a tint of evil."
GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sarin "Well that is quite a bit. So this will be tricky if they don't allow me to keep some of my tools and or items. But if you want my opinion it sounds like someone is killing these people that are vanishing, and they most likely worship one of the darker gods of the lands."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Hildr

"Agreed, I think we need to try to hide a set or 2 of your tools where we can get to them. Maybe in some plants around the temple. I have some coin if you want to buy another set."
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by wolfpack »

This is what Hildr knows.

When someone submits to be an acolyte of Odin they are taken in and given a determination test. essentially a wisdom test where you have to solve a dilemma puzzle. While there are a number of variations they all have similarities.

Normally a simple wisdom check is needed to pass the test (roll 4d6 take the lowest 3 and total has to be equal to/under your wisdom score) because Hildr can prep sarin his check will be a very easy check (roll 7d6 take lowest 3) and Hildr auto passes.

Once the test is passed you will be taken back and given plain gray robes to change into and taken to a barracks.

As for sneaking in something small like a pouch with thieves tools it will require an easy pick pockets roll how easy depends on how much attention you have drawn to yourself.

things like weapons and armor would not be possible to sneak in.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Hildr

Hildr will work with Sarin to prep him for the test.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by wolfpack »

That night you go to the temple kitchen entry where you are met by an older man in priestly robes.

I am Brother Gilbert, I was ask ed to meet you here by the high priest and collect some things to take to his office.

He has a large sack with him.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Hildr

Hildr passes him her Chain armor, Spear, Shield +1 and 2 war hammers.

"Thanks." She beckons for Sarin to hand his over.
GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sarin greets the man "Hi Gil." with a polied wave then a pout as he sees the sack....rectlantly he hands over his long sword, dagger, shield, quiver, bow and pack.

wolfpack do i need to post that roll now or is there a scene coming up that i do that in?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by wolfpack »

The man assures you the high priest will receive the items and shuts and locks the door.

The next morning you go to early mass dressed only in peasant clothes. The high priest stands on the balcony and delivers morning prayers, he ethen asks for all those who wish to make an offering to enter the foyer. He then asks if any gathered feel the call of the all father to serve.

You raise your hands as well as do 5 others. senior acolytes come and gather the 7 of you and take you into a back section of the temple. There you are led into separate rooms for the test to be administered

greywolf you can roll now
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Hildr

Hildr goes along and silently says a prayer to Odin for Sarin.
GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Return to “Adventure in Antiquity (1e)”