Action Thread 14

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 14

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – Dawn

Though initially uncomfortable at the nearness of the wolves the DAMs settle down pretty quickly. Ancor and Rosin aren't sure if it's the fact that the quartet are just that much tougher now, or the goodly animal vibes of the place, or the grass the DAMs are eating right under the tree. Ancor and Rosin have seats, wiping their brows, against the tree trunk, and start to eat. There is food set out around the trunk, picnic style, plenty for 8 men. Van looks around the place with an amazed and almost youthful smile on his face. He walks among the orchards before settling down. Eyman lays down and passes out, also a calm smile on his face.

You see nothing of the bear or Melissa. The wolves and birds are around constantly but no longer come close.

Wanted to leave it open as to what you guys wanted to do, Melissa stated no time frames, but who knows what she'd consider dilly dallying. It's daybreak, but not sure if you wanted to rest before tackling the wererat or head out now. Up to you. As for tiredness, the four of you feel great, you know that the time and the food here in Melissa's Zone have done you much good, moreso than just the fact you haven't had a bath in almost a month.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Jeloon; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 14

#2 Post by Alethan »

Till would prefer to freshen up with whatever facilities are available and rest a bit before heading out.

Not sure what the others want, though.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

Ron, I'd like to rewind a bit to a couple hours before daybreak. Bruard will move within 60 feet of the treehouse, (I assume that's possible, and if he's not already there), and use his wand of enemy detection. Let me know if it detects anything nearby.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Argennian »

When the three of them get to camp, Yosef will query Van about anything that they or the animals might have seen or heard while they were gone. On the way back to Shard, he speaks to them about what has transpired and what he, Till, Bruard and Jeloon have signed up for. Yosef makes sure that they know to be respectful and stay calm in Melissa’s area. He also confirms they know they must also stay wary in case trouble should arise or if things turn out not to be as they seem. With Jeloon’s presence and blessing, the elf instructs Van and the others not to threaten hostility or attack unless they or the animals are attacked. If they get into trouble in our absence, they should use their signal whistles to alert us.

ToniXX wrote:Ron, I'd like to rewind a bit to a couple hours before daybreak. Bruard will move within 60 feet of the treehouse, (I assume that's possible, and if he's not already there), and use his wand of enemy detection. Let me know if it detects anything nearby.
Yosef will make sure to move away from the others and swing his arms around as if stretching out in a feigned calisthenics-like manner when Bruard does this, so that if there are any watching them, they are hopefully momentarily distracted to look at him and not see what the cleric is doing.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

ToniXX wrote:Ron, I'd like to rewind a bit to a couple hours before daybreak. Bruard will move within 60 feet of the treehouse, (I assume that's possible, and if he's not already there), and use his wand of enemy detection. Let me know if it detects anything nearby.
Good call! But the wand stays quiet. Apparently there are no enemies within 60' of you. That would capture Melissa (as she is likely up in the tree) and a wolf or two, and anything else that you can't see. Still drains a charge though.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote:When the three of them get to camp, Yosef will query Van about anything that they or the animals might have seen or heard while they were gone. On the way back to Shard, he speaks to them about what has transpired and what he, Till, Bruard and Jeloon have signed up for. Yosef makes sure that they know to be respectful and stay calm in Melissa’s area. He also confirms they know they must also stay wary in case trouble should arise or if things turn out not to be as they seem. With Jeloon’s presence and blessing, the elf instructs Van and the others not to threaten hostility or attack unless they or the animals are attacked. If they get into trouble in our absence, they should use their signal whistles to alert us.
While Eyman snores away, Van briefs you as to what's been happening. He says that they've seen, what he assumes were wolves now, stalking around the campsite. But never too many, and never too close. Also the birds buzzed them a couple times. But things were quiet, they were well hidden at that camp.

Van says "excellent" when you tell him what you've signed up for, and unconsciously adjusts the grip on his spear. Then, after listening, he has a concerned look on his face "wait, are you leaving us behind when you go to get the wererat?"

I don't think Van and Eyman had whistles.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Till thinks the two mercs should join us. It's what Jeloon is paying them to do. Or, at least, bring Van and leave Eyke (sorry... a little Art History humor there) er, Eyman, to help guard the donkeys and helpers. Van seems interested in helping us; Eyman, not so much - possibly because he's taken quite a few shots so far. Probably wouldn't hurt to let him rest up a bit. You KNOW he'd get mauled by the wererat, then we'd have to see if Melissa had any belladona we could shove down his throat...
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:While Eyman snores away, Van briefs you as to what's been happening. He says that they've seen, what he assumes were wolves now, stalking around the campsite. But never too many, and never too close. Also the birds buzzed them a couple times. But things were quiet, they were well hidden at that camp.

Van says "excellent" when you tell him what you've signed up for, and unconsciously adjusts the grip on his spear. Then, after listening, he has a concerned look on his face "wait, are you leaving us behind when you go to get the wererat?"
Yosef considers Van's question with a smile and reassess him. "Well, to be perfectly honest, we still do not have enough information on this wererat and his potential minions to know how we are going to accomplish this. I know you are both loyal and brave, Van. I would not have any issue with fighting by your side."

rredmond wrote:I don't think Van and Eyman had whistles.
Yosef takes the signal whistle from around his neck and hands it to either Van (if he is staying to protect the others) or Eyman (if Van is going with us). "In case we need to separate, you take this. Till still has his so we can signal you as well."

OOC: marking off character sheet! :)

Edit: to reflect that Yosef's signal whistle is being given to whomever is staying behind with the pack animals.
Last edited by Argennian on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Till thinks the two mercs should join us. It's what Jeloon is paying them to do. Or, at least, bring Van and leave Eyke (sorry... a little Art History humor there) er, Eyman, to help guard the donkeys and helpers. Van seems interested in helping us; Eyman, not so much - possibly because he's taken quite a few shots so far. Probably wouldn't hurt to let him rest up a bit. You KNOW he'd get mauled by the wererat, then we'd have to see if Melissa had any belladona we could shove down his throat...

OOC: Lol, no doubt about Eyman! He might go down fast and often but he's a trooper nonetheless!

If we do decide to bring anyone, I'd vote for Van only. He can hold his own and has a decent magical weapon. Eyman would just get dropped and one of us would have to help save him, imo.

Too bad Dave has been absent as I'd really like to get his input. Have any of you guys heard from him? He came on the boards shortly awhile back but never took my pms. Is he okay??

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

Exchanged a quick email with him outside the forums.

He said he had some personal things taking up all his time and that is the way it was going to be for a while.

No ETR.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Exchanged a quick email with him outside the forums.

He said he had some personal things taking up all his time and that is the way it was going to be for a while.

No ETR.
OOC: Damn. Thanks for the heads up, Al. At least he wasn't in an auto accident or in the hospital then (I hope)?

I guess the fact that he still wants to return when he can is a good thing, however. Wish him all the best!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Working with limited internet capabilities, but I'll try to do my best.
How long are you resting... or rather, how long y'all letting Eyman sleep. :D
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

"Let's let Eyman sleep for as long as he needs. He could use the rest for better recovery."

Till will sleep until dawn. He'll wake up Ancor and Rosin at that time and get them busy with finishing camp preparations and make sure they understand they're to help out Melissa in any way possible while Till is gone. He warns them to be on their best behaviour, as the wolves look particularly hungry this morning.

(I don't believe we've done enough to get us all even close to leveling, so I'm not worried about doing a rest-to-level kind of thing.)

Then, he will start getting ready for the trip - honing his sword and dagger edges, checking over his gear and tidying it up, washing up as best he can with whatever Melissa has made available to them (he doesn't expect a bath, but... even a bucket of water and a bar of lye soap would be fine).

Once he's ready, he'll assist the others with whatever they might need.

Whenever Melissa makes herself available to give them whatever information she can about the wererat, he will stop what he is doing and intently listen to whatever she has to say.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Argennian »

Once Bruard is able to determine that Melissa is not an enemy, per se, Yosef will settle in with the men and force himself to calm down. He tells Van to keep an eye out with the others while they catch a few hours of sleep. He asks to be woken at first light.

In the early dawn, Yosef takes out a new piece of parchment paper and will sketch what he has seen of Shard. He will note the outer towers and the "slice" they are currently in. He hopes that he can show it to Melissa and have her identify specific places and things, including of course the wererat's lair. He will also be sure to catch up his journal until such time as the party can speak with her about the specifics they'll need to undertake the mission.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 6a

I'll have to get on XPs, with a module such as this, there'll be some more other than just treasure and kills. My notes are a little chaotic on XPs though at the moment. Not sure if I've shared, but I'm a DM who splits total XPs equally among PCs.

Melissa comes down early, and brings breakfast. The wonderfully hearty smells wake Eyman, who's looking better than he has in days after his hard, but short sleep.

Melissa tells you that the rats used to spy for her. They have tunnels all over the city in each shard, and were instrumental in keeping track of the evil humanoids doings. But since the arrival of the wererat some months ago, he's using his abilities to control the rats. Now she's sure the wererat's shard is unhealthily overpopulated by giant rats, and that they have likely created a few more tunnels. The wererat is an interloper as well. The humanoids, who each rent their own shards, know that the shard the wererat is occupying is supposed to be an "empty" shard, or one up for rent; but they also know that something has overrun it. She thinks that they believe it just to be overwhelmed with giant rats and other ferral monsters; not the semi-organized wererat and his plans to sneakily take over.

She wants the wererat forcibly removed so that she can use her spies again... also because he's a worrisome character being next to her and his plans conflict with hers.

She then sits back against the tree, smiles at Eyman who is gorging himself on the good food, and awaits your questions.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Jeloon; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Argennian »

Yosef brings forth his map and asks if Melissa can mark the slice or shard in question, as well as any distinct features of the others.

"So the other shards in the city are rented out to others? How is that arrangement arrived at, if I may ask?"

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

Till waits for a response to Yosef's question, then follows up with, "These 'shards', as you call them, are quite big. Where is he most likely to be found within that shard? I imagine, with all of your friends flittering about, you have some idea. And I assume you'd rather we spare as many of the feral animal lives as we can? Would killing the wererat return the giant rats to their normal routine of... whatever it is giant rats peacefully do? In order to do that, a direct strike, right at the wererat himself, is going to be the best plan."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 6:15 a

Argennian wrote:Yosef brings forth his map and asks if Melissa can mark the slice or shard in question, as well as any distinct features of the others.
"So the other shards in the city are rented out to others? How is that arrangement arrived at, if I may ask?"
She looks at you for a bit, then says, "this isn't really information that is needed now. But as an act of good faith, or an 'advance' on the information I will give you once the were rat is gone, I shall share a bit of Shard. The Shards, or Zones as the Cultists call them, are 'owned' by them. By virtue of being here first, they are the de facto owners of the city. But this city, and the one it's built upon, have been here much longer than the Cultists. But owners of each Zone pay rent to the Cultists, and engage in mutual protection of the city, and most take turns guarding the entrance to the city in Zone 1. Then it's 'live and let live' as long as you don't bother anyone else, and stay in your own Zone." She helps right your map and says "we are here" marking an X at the oak tree (it's the red X on the map), "and the wererat is in the Zone 6, though the cultists do not know he is there, and he pays no rent".
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (143.02 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
Alethan wrote:Till waits for a response to Yosef's question, then follows up with, "These 'shards', as you call them, are quite big. Where is he most likely to be found within that shard? I imagine, with all of your friends flittering about, you have some idea. And I assume you'd rather we spare as many of the feral animal lives as we can? Would killing the wererat return the giant rats to their normal routine of... whatever it is giant rats peacefully do? In order to do that, a direct strike, right at the wererat himself, is going to be the best plan."
Marking an R in Zone 6 she answers, "he fancies himself king, so has set up residence in the temple here, and (as far as my birds can tell) doesn't leave it much. As far as the giant rats, they will fall out of his charms once he is dead, then they will be confused for a bit until I can befriend them again and keep them from trouble. There are too many at this point though, so if a few were to die in this mission, it would restore balance. Wonton killing of those creatures I would not want." She looks again at you all, and then smiles. "Any other questions before you are to head out?"

[/b]HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

Till shrugs and simply asks, "What's the best way in?"

(Don't want to advance the action until ToniXX (and Jeloon's replacement?) has a chance to chime in...)
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard smiles at the Druidess and says We shall carry out this mission with the utmost diligence and professionalism, m'lady. My god, the lovely and great Shinare, also disapproves of the wanton killing of defenseless animals. He has nothing more to add, and awaits the answer to Till's most recent query.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”