Ch 1. The Inn of the Unseen Servant

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Ch 1. The Inn of the Unseen Servant

#1 Post by Stonjuz »

His approach to the Great City is less remarkable than the half-elf had imagined. Rain pours down on the bard as one door of the doublegate is opened for him.
The gatekeeper says to the new arrival, "Welcome traveler. Business in Greyhawk?"
Unsure how to reply initially, the half-elf looks about and can see rows of buildings, large and small, to the left and the right of the gate's courtyard. Directly across from the yard is an inn with a banner above.
site_logo.png
site_logo.png (18.31 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
JobaTett
Scout
Scout

Re: The Inn of the Unseen Servant : Action Thread # 1

#2 Post by JobaTett »

"I'm just here to hang out, you know? Play some music, meet new people, that kinda chiz." Jacob takes his lute into the inn and begins playing some music hoping that he makes some money or attracts the eye of a pretty lady. He also listens out for rumors that could lead to work or good stories.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Stonjuz »

Our young hero suspects this is just what he's looking for, turns quickly and heads across the mud-strewn courtyard ignoring the gatekeeper further.
The gentleman asking the question shrugs and says..."...." jacob detect noise 25% [1d100] = 57

Avoiding the early morning traffic is easy enough, but the muck is being splashed about periodically.
ooc-roll a Dex/Balance check to avoid soiling any garment other than feet and sandals. First impressions are everything. ;)
JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by JobaTett »

Dex Check: [1d20] = 5

We'll go with that for now ...but, your roll does not show up on my campaign search.
Dont just use on the fly.
You have not dedicated the Character rolls to a character there too?
Once you do, I can oversee that kinda stuff, cause thats what DMs do. 8-)
Campaign is
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Stonjuz »

A good soaking cannot be avoided, but the unflattering spray of mud is, as Jacob works his way to the inn, still clean for the most part. Excitedly, he feels for his musical instrument under his arm, still trying to keep it dry as possible.
Just as the half-elf is within twenty feet of the door, it opens abruptly and a dwarf can be seen holding the door open. His attention is to whatever be inside the establishment.
"What do ya mean the bar is closed for the night? It's only 5 minutes after dawn."
The dwarf handles his drink well, save for the fact that he doesn't even notice the rain, nor the rain-soaked half-elf, and waves his hand in disgust to whoever is inside.
He turns, leaving the door ajar, walks down the canopy covered stair then adds...
"No, I don't want no stinkin' breakfast."
and looks about for direction before heading to his chosen.

Jacob steps under the canopy leaving him at the bottom of the stair and out of the rain. Without hesistation, he takes both stairs in one stride and enters.
'The Inn of the Unseen Servant. Aye, this must be the place.' he thinks to himself.
jacob local history 13[1d20] = 10 Bardic History 5%[1d100] = 21
OOC Thats one !!!
JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by JobaTett »

Jacob just plays music, having no idea where to go from here except to wait and play music.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Stonjuz »

JobaTett wrote:Jacob just plays music, having no idea where to go from here except to wait and play music.
The bard crosses the threshold of the bar and instantly brings his lute to arms and begins to strum and pluck the strings.
First, assign your rolls to the campaign and then make your music roll with a +2 penalty to the roll, due to it's dampness, and possible de-tuning while on the road from the last village.
His garments drip and form a decent sized pool at his feet, but the newcomer, too occupied with his first impression to notice, raises his brow from the instrument to scan his audience and sees......

For future reference, anytime you want to 'play music' in any new encounter, you need to make the roll check added to your declaration in the post.
JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by JobaTett »

[1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15 vs 12

Funny how I remember being a Bard and having the NWP to play music, and yet I still have to roll for it. I mean, surely it's a song he's played many times before. What, is he nervous or something?

No, he knows the song well.
If not for the penalty imposed due to circumstance, he only failed by 1, which normally would mean the audience just wasnt paying attention.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Stonjuz »

Jacob's ear is trained enough to hear that he should have checked his tuning before beginning. He also knows the untrained ear may not 'catch' his, slightly out-of-phase, G string. His fingers tell him the fretboard is slippery wet. The nose hints of baked bread. Feet step out of the gathered pool and his body reminds him that he is still soaking wet. Two scanning eyes inform him that the normal looking Inn is empty.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Stonjuz »

The tarp covering the back of the supply wagon headed to the Great City may seem like a way to get past the gate guards unnoticed and without question but Nayman thinks it over as the wagon driver prepares the horses for the short trip. 'Nyrond's reach surely cannot extend all the way across the Urnst to Greyhawk,...or can it?'
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Vargr1105 »

Without a dime to his name and no equipment apart from the clothes on his back and a pair of longswords, Nayman Lesh starts trying to find his way to the Inn of the Unseen Servant as soon as he gets off the supply wagon inside the city. That establishment had a reputation even among the seedy elements of Nyrod's ill-fated brotherhood of larceny and he hopes to make contact with some representative of the Greyhawk's Thieves Guild there.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Stonjuz »

The entrance to the Inn isn't blocked, but a dwarf, in the courtyard, does stand between our human rogue and the door, scratching his head in indecision.
The trained ear picks up the sound of a lute inside the establishment.

A closet door will open momentarily and a mop, with bucket, will emerge to begin mopping up the puddle the bard has brought in, apparently under their own force. Jacob's eyes grow bigger.
If you havent figured it out by now...its The Inn Of The UNSEEN SERVANT.
Anyone surprised at all?
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Vargr1105 »

Nayman approaches the confused-looking dwarf.

"Excuse me, Sir. Would ye mind granting passage? I needs to enter the establishment."
Epichicken
Scout
Scout

#14 Post by Epichicken »

Thor'ar replies with a slurred speech, "oh.. but only of all of the bestest of means my jolly good man. I remember me when doors consisted of the most depressed wood..." His tongue rambles on as he shifts slighty to the left so that the rogue is granted passage.
JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#15 Post by JobaTett »

Jacob ignores the Unseen Servant and looks to the newcomer "Welcome, sir. My name is Jacob Tetro, if you'd be so kind as to pay me, I'd be happy to play you a song."
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Vargr1105 »

"Alas, mister bard, I am the poorest man in Greyhawk City. With no coin to name or purse I can nay make a even a blind beggar sing for an alm, let alone pay a professional such as thou."
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Stonjuz »

Inside the Inn, the main item of note is a large portion of wood, at the end of the bar featuring a postcarving of two monkeys. On the left, the first monkey has one hand over his own mouth, the other hand covering the second monkey's eyes. The second monkey has both hands covering its own ears, its mouth ajar.
There is a sign stating Innkeeper services, above and behind the bar. (With a few exceptions, prices are identical to those listed in Players Handbook.)
The mop finishes around Jacob and moves to Nayman's vicinity momentarily then puts itself away. The door to the oven then opens and a tray of bread slides out, then 'carried' across the room and lands on a table near the bar. A bell behind the bar rings.

That's two !!! And a half. (the dwarf is still out in the rain, or on the bottom of the stair, under the canopy)
Epichicken
Scout
Scout

#18 Post by Epichicken »

Thor'ar, after trying to drink from his empty hand and realizing that his hand held no drink, returns inside to the Inn. "Where be that wretched invisible man-butler? Another pint of ale my good friend! And you, with the good sounding piece of wood, make the lumber sing to me! It has been long since I have heard tune or song." with this remark Thor'ar reaches into his pocket and presents a silver coin, which he throws in the general direction of the bard, hoping that he would catch it. After his intoxicated toss he shambles over to the bar.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Stonjuz »

The silver piece hangs airborn momentarily having reached the pinnacle of its arc. The ample overhead to the ceiling has room to spare.
Upon the stove in the kitchen area to the rear, a lid comes off of a pot and a large spoon begins stirring whatever is inside of it.
Just to the right of the bar, at eye level, a chalkboard contains the message..
Today's breakfast special ....goat sausage gravy w/bread....5cp
From his spot near the bar, the dwarf can see that the kegs and bottles are still shut behind doors, signalling that ale and spirits are still not being served at this hour.
Water vessels are seen sporatically about the tables near the one holding the breads.
That's THREE !!!
Thor'ar has the option to have paid for rooms earlier. But an Inn that wont offer the dwarf anything besides water, cider and milk at the moment, may not be his ideal lodging.
Depending on how long it takes to fill the group, it could be a long morn'.
JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#20 Post by JobaTett »

Jacob takes the coin and plays a song. After he's done, he says "Could one of you invisible workers grab one of my salted herrings and prepare it for me? It's been such a long travel and I've not eaten since last morn." Jacob wonders where the Mage/Inn owner is.

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”