OOC 1

Antman9
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

OOC 1

#1 Post by Antman9 »

OOC Stuff Here!!!!
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC 1

#2 Post by FantasyChic »

Obligatory post so I can easily find this thread again since I still don't know how this site works
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Jack »

FantasyChic wrote:Obligatory post so I can easily find this thread again since I still don't know how this site works
You can subscribe to an entire forum: so at our forum, 393 you can click on the subscribe link under "Page 1 of 1 [ 4 topics ]".
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Antman9 »

Hey All,

Just wanted to touch base and see how everyone is coming along. I had a pretty rough week at work, so I didn't get as much done as i would have liked. Trying to catch up today.

A quick note on my GM'ing style
I like to keep the players involved in decisions I make as a GM. Which means I often ask the players lots of questions. Is the campaign moving in a direction that meats your needs? etc, etc. I am of the opinion that a campaign has two sides, the players and the GM. Not "What the GM says goes, period." So please feel free to shout out whatever comment, opinion, question, etc. you may have. I am always open to criticism (good/bad). If the players aren't having fun, I'm not having fun.

Hoping to have a few more updates completed by the end of the day today. If you see any glaring mistakes, or grammatical/formatting errors in the The Core thread (or anywhere else) please let me know and I will get them fixed up in a jiffy.

Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Antman9 »

I would like to set a date to begin this little adventure of ours, at least tentatively. I'm thinking we could make a start of it around Monday, June 20th. How does that sound to everyone (as long as everyone can be ready by then)?

A simple Yes/No will suffice. For those so inclined, a lengthy dissertation is acceptable as well.

I will begin putting together the finer points, in outline form, in the Campaign Discussion thread, for what we have decided thus far, and what still needs worked out.

:)

Antman9 (Marc)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Sure.
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by FantasyChic »

I should be able to get something done. Got a bit started, should be able to post for critique tomorrow.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by Jack »

Antman9 wrote:I'm thinking we could make a start of it around Monday, June 20th.
Shiny!
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Antman9 »

Hey All,

Just wanted to check in real quick. I have PBX server migrations all week this week, so I've been furiously working on those dumb things. I wanted to start going over crewmember profiles today, but never got the the chance. I am planning an starting that tomorrow. I've kind of been browsing through them though, and they are looking good so far. Everyone seems to have a pretty solid idea of what they want, or several ideas for some.

Keep in mind you'll want to leave room for them to grow as the story plays out, but I think pretty much everyone is doing that. I'll give comments on each crewmember as I look them over.

Jack: Do you still want to work with me to create a custom ship, or should I just make one up?

Everyone: Now is a good time to shout out preferences for your ship. One of the original ideas was that, Jack's character I believe, would owe money on the ship. Is that still the direction we want to go? Or there is the option where you start with a clunker and then move toward getting something better. Just some thoughts. Shout out any ideas you have. I'll be posting more about this in the next couple of days, including the ideas proposed thus far.

I'm also going to go back through the posts and compile everything we've discussed so far. I'm looking forward to getting this thing moving (even though it may not seem like it yet). Been a busy couple of weeks. And one more thing, don't be afraid to shout out any irritations, thoughts, or ideas concerning the campaign or how I'm DM'ing it. This is a group effort, and I want you guys to enjoy it. If we begin to move in a direction you're not as keen about, let me know. I encourage criticism and feedback.

Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Jack »

Antman9 wrote:Jack: Do you still want to work with me to create a custom ship, or should I just make one up?
I'll see if I can put up a draft today. I'm thinking of something very similar to Serenity at the moment.
Antman9 wrote:[...] Or there is the option where you start with a clunker and then move toward getting something better.
"Six Gurtslers crammed under every cooling drive, so that you strain your primary artery function, and you end up having to recycle secondary exhaust through a bypass system, just so's you don't end up pumping it though the main atmo feed and asphyxiating the entire crew! Now that's [a clunker]." ;)

I do like the Voyager episode "Deadlock" tho, so some kind of salvage could make for a cool episode.

The "Ship's captain" distinction's trigger "Protect the crew" states:
when a Crewmember in the same scene as you acquires a Complication, spend 1 PP to take it away and step it back.
Why would you take it away and step it back?
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Just catching up.

Yes to Monday.
Whatever you want to the ship.

Even if we have our own ship, we could start our first episode as a "[Jack's Character] couldn't make a payment, so he worked a deal that he and his crew would drive a clunker back to [insert planet] in lieu of said payment." Just a thought. It would allow more time to create a ship, anyhow. Or maybe it is how he makes his down payment.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

Ship:

I always like to consider being-a-little-different... I think the Firefly is a bit more boring. if we are willing to consider playing Firefly in something other than a Firefly, I suggest the following comparable options:

Road Runner Class Independent Blockade Runner: this seems perfect for Jack's insurrectionist flair and it suits our crew style.

Orion Class Alliance Enforcement Craft: this best fits the crew, I think, particularly accounting for newest posted sheets. If we got one that was decomissioned and fixed it up (Defanged Tiger, Stolen, or Won Her In A Card Game distinctions).

Wakinyan Class Surveyor: also an awesome ship if we are doing more tactics and cons than cargo hauling. Also gives a good tie to Rusty's PC, who maybe came with it from its previous owners/miners.

For other distinctions, I like:

Off the Grid. Perhaps a black ops trick by my PC, or a helpful addition by your ship building friends.

Built for Stealth.

Deep space ready.

Experimental. Seems to fit if you are using the Seht storyline.

As for signature assets, they are all cool. Which ones are picked depends on what kind of jobs Jack is intending to pursue.
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Jack »

These are some of my favorite options for the ship:

Classes:

Firefly Class Transport 8
Engines 10
Hull 8
Systems 6
Designed as a multi-purpose boat, this mid-bulk ship is extremely versatile and can be used as a salvager out in deep space or to haul passengers from one town to another. Though variations exist, all Firefly ships have the capacity to take off and land vertically and are engineered with certain fixed compartments: cargo hold, engine room, quarters, and bridge.
Connected operations: when rolling to fix a ship’s Complication, you may step up the difficulty die to fix two complications at once. Step up any complication that results from this roll.
Everybody has one: when you create an Asset or take a complication related to everybody knowing your kind of ship, step it up.
//The show, and lots of drawings of the layout, make this easy to imagine.

Distinctions:

Off the grid 8
Where did she go?: spend 1 PP to create a No record found d8 asset when trying to prevent someone from tracking you through the Cortex.
Things go smooth…er: take or step up a complication related to your ship's missing identification to reroll a die when dealing with the law.

Been around the 'verse 8
Well-loved: crewmembers on board may share PPs with another crewmember who's operatin' the ship.
They don't make 'em like this anymore: step back the difficulty die when making a Fix roll to repair the ship. Step up any complications that result.

Smuggler's delight 8
Hidey holes: when a crewmember is trying to conceal cargo, add the ship's hull die to the roll.
Covert: when making a sneak roll with the ship, the pilot may spend 1 PP to reroll.

Cobbled together 8
Frankenstein's boat: spend 1 PP to switch the die ratings of Engines and Systems for the rest of the scene.
She's got class, lots of class: spend 1 PP to create an Unknown Ship Class d8 asset when someone tries to identify your ship.

Ordinary 8
Familiarity breeds contempt: turn one of your ship's assets into a complication of the same die rating to gain 1 PP.
These ships, they're all the same: spend 1 PP to find exactly the parts you need at a salvage yard, junk shop, or trash heap. The part enters play as a d8 asset.

Built for speed 8
Focused thrust: when using engines for raw speed, double engines. Remove the highest rolling die and add three dice together for the result.
Full burn: spend 1 PP to reroll a pool containing the engines dice. On your subsequent roll, both 1s and 2s count for complications.

Signature assets:

Crybaby 8
This device is perfect for those who've turned to a life of crime. The crybaby is a modified satellite that sends out a fake distress call to distract the law. Unlike most other signature assets, the crybaby can be deployed far from the ship and then retrieved for later use when the coast is clear.

Electromagnetic shielding 8
Your systems have been upgraded with advanced shielding and programs designed to keep hackers out and your digital and heat signature in. When power is shut down to minimal safe amounts, it's nearly impossible to detect your ship from a distance.
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by FantasyChic »

Do we need the Crybaby asset? From what I've gathered, we don't have many of those who are against the law or are criminal types. I could be wrong, but I know for a fact my character isn't a criminal. Not necessarily a cop, but you know.

-Dr. Seuss
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Jack »

If we choose the Road runner class Independent blockade runner ship, see if we can replace the "Catch me if you can" trigger: "Spend 1 PP to step up a complication inflicted on a chasing ship."
with the "Rippin' and fixin' montage" trigger from the Kintsugi class salvage ship:
"Spend 1 PP at the beginning of a timed action involving repairing a ship or gathering salvage. For each of your rolls during the timed action, your crew may reroll any die that comes up 1 instead of accepting a PP for it. If the reroll is also a 1, it can't be rerolled."?

Keeping:
[] Quick off the ground: spend 1 PP to double engines when launching from a planetary surface.
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Jack »

FantasyChic wrote:Do we need the Crybaby asset? From what I've gathered, we don't have many of those who are against the law or are criminal types. I could be wrong, but I know for a fact my character isn't a criminal. Not necessarily a cop, but you know.
Maybe then have a character with a Guild trader distinction (p.181)? Also an Alliance salvage permit signature asset (p.187)? No smuggling, except for our "perfectly legitimate" deliveries to Salisbury?
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Jack »

Jack wrote:
FantasyChic wrote:Do we need the Crybaby asset? From what I've gathered, we don't have many of those who are against the law or are criminal types. I could be wrong, but I know for a fact my character isn't a criminal. Not necessarily a cop, but you know.
Maybe then have a character with a Guild trader distinction (p.181)? Also an Alliance salvage permit signature asset (p.187)? No smuggling, except for our "perfectly legitimate" deliveries to Salisbury?
Is the new draft of Percy with permits to legally trade and salvage better?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

So, we aren't pirates, we are Alliance privateers? I can dig that. ;) Seems fair - an investigator, a former Alliance officer, a former Alliance ship mechanic, and a captain with a rebellious streak but legal licenses.

But we are working with Seht, doing clandestine jobs for them under Alliance noses. Pro-law but anti-corruption? Seems to be our theme as each of us ran into distasteful and corrupt practices which drove us from our former lives. Pro-law makes us good at loopholes. ;)

What kind of jobs are we expecting, then?
Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#19 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Hi, everyone! If this post shows up, then I guess I'm here.

If you'll take me, I'm glad for the opportunity to join you. I've been wanting to try some Firefly roleplaying for years, but life seems too busy to try to join up with some local Browncoats (down in Portland), and none of my friends are into roleplaying, so I've been waiting and waiting I guess.

I can do creative writing and I can do gaming, but even after some tinkering at RPGGeek, I feel pretty clueless on how the marriage of the two really works. Feel free to offer advice any time.

I'm traveling some several times this summer, but I'll do my best to stay current with everything.

Okay, now where is that character creation info?

-Q
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Welcome Quaid!
It helps me to think of it more like acting. And the nice thing about this sort of RPG is that it is (somewhat) background-focused. You build your character with a history and their current distinctions and skills stem from that. All you need to do is think about what would that person do in that situation.

What sort of character were you thinking of playing?

Return to “Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)”