Apophos 2042

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Apophos 2042

#1 Post by Urson »

Soon (it's hard to gauge time accurately along the Highway) Harry comes over the CommsAll right, Ya'll. We're here. I been talking to SamanEric over the radio, so I've got a few more facts for ya. He'd finished his run, collected the loot he wanted, and was headin' back for the On-Ramp when Security from the Depository caught up with him. He had two days running battle with 'em. 'Bout ten miles from the On-Ramp, they finally shot off enough of his run-flat tires that he hadda stop. He abandoned his cargo there, and made his way back to the On-ramp on foot.
"Doc's with him, so he'll git patched up OK. But I'm stayin' on the Highway so I kin tell him his cargo's in good hands. He says there were at least 4 Security units doggin' him, and he thinks there might have been an observation drone, too. He sent GPS data, so your Guides can navigate ya in. Security Units aren't heavily armed, but they're damm stubborn.

As Harry is talking, you arrive at a broad overpass. A 1930's-era roadster is pulled off in the breakdown lane, and a big, burly man is kneeling beside it, working on someone lying in the dead grass.

Please give me two marching orders: one for single-file on narrow roads, and a second one for areas where you can travel two abreast.
FA FO
ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Apophos 2042

#2 Post by ylinett »

Like most of the rest of his life he worries not about where he is, front, back, middle...these things seem to have a way of working themselves out.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Grognardsw »

Ike Heinlein, explorer

Ike hovers his saucer over the roadster and man. He telescopes his viewer for a closer look.

He activates his loudspeaker: "Do you require assistance?"
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Pulpatoon »

Tel slows down to inspect the man on the side of the road, drawn as much by the 30's Roadster as by charity.

Re: convoy order: Who's got the most armor? Let's put them in front.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

Marlowe Spade also pulls over, his Tucker looking right at home near the 30s Roadster. He gets out and tries to get a look at whoever is in the dead grass.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Pulpatoon »

Seeing Spade pull over, Tel follows suit—Three period cars in a row.

Tel: "Jiminy, let the others know we're making a stop. Flying Knife, check the area."
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Urson »

The guy lying down in the grass appears unconcious, and is dressed in the same sort of mismatched clothes Bait wears. He's got a couple of visible wounds, but 'The Doc' is quickly and efficiently tending him. The Doc is a big, muscular guy with a deep, bronze tan, close-cropped copper-brown hair, and a largish pistol slung on his right hip.

Nothing else remarkable, except a blood trail that leads from the Off-Ramp to the place where SamanEric is lying.
FA FO
Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by Spectreman17 »

Bait, Desert Runner:

Doesn't look like too many of you have much armor, I'll run point. If you don't got armor, just be fast enough that nothing can hit you. I then slam the gas a crank a bit of NO2 and start doing tight donuts around the three parked cars, causing as much smoke as I can. get your cars moving, they got things handled on this end, let's go get some cargo I pull out of my donut and floor my car to shoot flames out my trimmed exhaust, right behind the front wheels, and start heading down the on/off ramp.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Pulpatoon »

Pointedly ignoring the squealing donuts around her, Tel says, "Jiminy, let Bait know it looks like we got someone from his end of the woods, if he curious."

Looking at the man of bronze, he adds, "Need a hand there? Did you see what happened?"

Tel rolls and appraising eye over the roadster, looking for any indications that it is more than what one might expect.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Urson »

No thank you. I've got this handled. And no, I was further up the Highway when i heard that SamanEric was in trouble. I found him here.
FA FO
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Pulpatoon »

Tel: "You're the Doc, then? Harry mentioned you were with SamanEric. When he comes around, let him know we're securing his cargo."

Tel hops back in his sedan and rejoins the convoy.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Urson »

The road into Apophos winds between a couple of low hills. The temperature drops rapidly, and a sudden gust of wind rocks your vehicle on its springs. A cloud of dusty snow blows past, and when it clears, you find yourself driving out of a cul-de-sac in a suburban neighborhood.
There are one-and two-story houses along both sides of the street, some with broken windows or missing shingles. The trees are either brown, dead evergreens or leafless maples, standing in expanses of bare cracked earth. Somehow, this world feels abandoned.
Your Guide says "Welcome to Texas. Take the right onto Moran Drive, ahead."
Last edited by Urson on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
FA FO
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Grognardsw »

Ike Heinlein, spaceman

Ike asks HAL: "Are you familiar with this world HAL? Can you monitor any common airwave communications in the area?"
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

"Texas," huffs Marlowe. "Effie, is Texas still part of the United States in this timeline, or is it a whole other country?"
ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by ylinett »

Looking at the waitress he says "Take the wheel." When she looks at him he repeats "Take it from my hands.
Cause I can't do this on my own.". Picking the brick up he lets go of the Wheel and begins to examine it. Is there some sort of manual input? Can it register a stylus being run over its surface? He maintains his current speed, no need to make this more difficult on his copilot.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Urson »

The Guide will accept touch-typing or voice commands, either one.

Effie:Texas is part of the US in this timeline. In most of the timelines where it isn't, it has had enough effect on world events that it's reflected in the Off-Ramp name.

HAL:I am quite capable of monitoring such, yes. I am currently not picking up any active broadcasts, only the 'ping' from the GPS satellite system..... correction; I just intercepted a digital burst on a standard military frequency. It was faint and unintelligible.
FA FO
ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by ylinett »

Quickly inputting his request the man attempt to gain access to the video feed and/or gps locations of the hostile vehicles. If the encryption is not overly difficult he will attempt to take control of the drone.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Grognardsw »

Ike, space oddity
Urson wrote:
HAL:...I just intercepted a digital burst on a standard military frequency. It was faint and unintelligible.
"HAL, can you amplify and determine coordinates? Connect to my saucer radar if that helps."
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Not as shiny as the last place I went, but still an upgrade. Marlowe, you from around these parts?"

"Lana? Could you display a map of the area, complete with our groups position? Maybe keep it displayed on the windshield?"

Axel will follow Bait, rolling in second position with the party bus.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Urson »

Grrr- you _would_ ask for a map! I'll see what I can flange up

The Guides all indicate the same thing regarding the transmissions: We are approximately ten miles from the reported position of SamanEric's truck. When we are closer, I will have better success intercepting the transmissions.
FA FO

Return to “The Possible Highway (GURPS)”