(CLOSED) Character Generation

Antman9
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

(CLOSED) Character Generation

#1 Post by Antman9 »

Please post any and all character info, questions, and comments concerning character generation/creation for the Classless System (i.e. The 0e Experience)
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Character Generation

#2 Post by Antman9 »

I had a conversation with MonkeyWrench that may clear some things up for others.

In my system:

- NPC's have varying skills based on age, profession, and experience.
- A 0-Level character is an NPC that has decided to become and Adventurer
- NPC and Creature levels are based on HD (hit dice)
- All PC's use the same scaled level system 1,2,3,4, etc. with each Race having it's own HP value.

When thinking about the Classless System (The 0e Experience):
- A character starts by considering their NPC experience (NOT a Class)
- What life experience and/or events led the NPC to become an adventurer
- That experience amounts to a personality, events that created that personality, and one or more things that drive them to do the things they do (Pathology).

When describing your character:
- List those events, personality traits, quirks, etc. that, when combined, make your character who they are.
- You do NOT need to list specific skills per se, but rather experiences that imply those skills.
- EXAMPLE: Grognork the Gnoll was raised in a small unsophisticated Gnoll village, where food was ingested raw or prepared half-hazardly with no accouterments, sides, seasoning, or thought as to taste. He found himself with a desire to eat better food, which eventually led to an overwhelming desire to find the perfect culinary dish. He set out to become the best chef in all the land. His fellow villagers found his desire appalling and downright offensive to their ways. They subsequently shunned and eventually banished him from their land on threat of death. He began travelling in search of a mentor...long story short he had several life changing experiences that led his becoming a sous-chef where he learned the fine art of cooking. His overwhelming desire to find the perfect culinary meal led him to adventuring (0-Level character).
- All of those experiences (without being said) imply that this character is good with all things culinary, including culinary type utensils and cutlery, spices, herbs, including poisonous plants and animals, a fine motor dexterity with his hands, an improved sense of smell, quite possibly a distrust of other Gnolls in general and possibly even small villages. He will have exceptional skills with kitchen knives of all shapes and sizes, including other weapons of similar size and make.
-

More to follow...I have to get to class...
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Antman9 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I'm simple Half Giant his father was a woodsman and taught him the ways he currently knows I assume a woods man is sort of like a ranger (in a sense) perhaps more like a lumberjack but does know his way around the forest, could locate herbs and such, knows how to cut a tree down the right way, likely knows more odd ball things than the others would that could come in handy on a quest ;) Knows how to throw an axe with great accuracy and strength.
That's a great start GreyWolf. What kind of personality traits will your Half Giant have? Having a few good and bad points is always good. Listing a few life experiences that drove him to become an adventurer will help too, they will add to the character's overall pathology (as to why they became an adventurer).

Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well lets see Mother is a Fire Giant and Dad is a Human so yeah that has a long list of "fun" life experiences raised with no mother essentially learning only from his father. While being good in the woods doesn't know how to act around women was often left alone being part giant and this has left him with some personality flaws shot temper lack of understanding how to act around women and fear of being feared or treated differently due to his over large size. Was once mistook for being part of the circus someone thought he was part of the freak show this really upset him. Skin color being different from humans and his height as well as his strength set him aside from regular folk. However he likely would fit in with others that are out of the normal.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by MonkeyWrench »

So, this is what I've been kicking around... And before anyone thinks it, all of those examples from antman were MINE before he said them. The thief used my brainstorming and then stole my ideas!. Liar!

I will be trying out a Gnoll chef, or I guess cook might be another word for him.
1. Knowledgeable in most, if not all, styles of cooking.
2. Able to find and identify all kinds common and exotic kinds of ingredients
3. Skilled in the use, both melee and throwing, of knives and small axes that share the same swinging motions as a cleaver would
4. Resistant or at least knowledgeable on poisonous and venomous plants and animals, since one would need to know of any toxins while preparing food.
5. I would say knowledgeable about food culture as well, what certain places are known for as far as food goes or where certain ingredients can be found, etc
6. Able to find or know the weak spots of animals/beasts/monsters since they are knowledgeable on the different types of cuts and general biology of most edible creatures and then be able to tell that to their group members to make encounters easier.
7. etc on anything else I might be forgetting a fantasy styled traveling chef would know

As for the whole background and personality thing...

Rakjak was born and raised within a normal Gnollish tribe. The tribe was smaller in size, situated in the plains, and survived off of hunting and raiding; killing anyone that tried to stop them and eating everything they found as is. But for as long as Rakjak has known this was never enough for him, he first found his calling when grabbing some left over meat and then adding some nearby spices taken in a recent raid; adding them together and then finding out just how small his tribes dietary palette was. When he attempted to show his tribe the error of their ways, trying to convince them that his new discovery would change their entire way of thinking, he was swiftly set upon and beaten, then banished from the tribe under threat of death should they ever see his lying face again.

After having been ran off from his home and family Rakjak made the personal vow that he would make the most delicious meal and then prove them all wrong. Since then he walked from small towns to large cities in search of someone that would train him, all turned him away, stating that a Gnoll could never become a chef and such a creature has no business in a kitchen. Never giving up hope Rakjak continued his search until the fateful day he found one man that would teach him, hanging upside down from a rope attached to a tree...

Rakjak came upon the man, taking in his appearance, looking at his messy and frizzled hair as if the man was just struck by lightning, his dirty and disheveled clothing that spoke more of a beggar's lifestyle, but most of all his weathered and grizzled face and complete focused gaze even in such a circumstance. Following the old mans gaze Rakjak found he was inspecting a mushroom that was growing out of a nearby tree, after speaking to the hanging man and learning that the man intending on "cooking" the mushroom rakjak cut him down for the reward of watching and tasting the mans cooking, from then on Rakjak followed the obviously eccentric cook known as Hubert Vidorkian on the mans journeys, learning all he could on how to cook.

On one such journey down to a secluded part of a smaller continent of the world Rakjak's life took another unexpected turn, while going through a mountain pass to a rebuilding city known as Dragon's belch Rakjak and his mentor were set upon by orcs and while rakjak was able to escape with his life his mentor was not. Now stranded in an isolated part of the world with no money and no mentor Rakjak decides that the only way to reach his goal now is to become an adventurer, honing his skills while getting the necessary funds together as well as going into dangerous places where the most rare ingredients can be found...
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Dram »

This is what I have so far.

Lyaera was found outside a orphanage. She was always a outcast as a dark elf. She stayed in the orphanage till was she was 13 years old when she ran off with gypsy traveling circus. Lyaera worked with the animals for many years. The animals seemed to relax when Lyaera was tending to them. She was nicknamed "Ravinae " (Lion Whisperer) by the gypsies. She also worked for a 1/2 elf named One Eyed Jax as a knife thrower. He taught her how to be a expert knife thrower. Lyaera was always after coin but not at the risk of her life. She believes that running and coming back to fight another day is more beneficial to living long prosperous life. Stealing and pickpocketing the fairgoers made her a lot of extra money. One eyed Jax took most her profit. When Jax was killed by a jealous husband she left the fair trying her hand at adventuring.

1. Expertise in handling animals.
2 Loves all animals and will not let anyone harm a innocent creature that is protecting its your or lair
3. Expert at knife throwing.
4 Will not engage in a fight she believes is unwinnable.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Sol »

History

Zirus hails from a nearby territory which is controlled by his people – Marsh Haven. His folk tend to keep to themselves, but any who pass near to or through their territory are subject to the often harsh sovereignty of the Lizard Tribe. Zirus is an aspirant to the tribe’s Priest Class and has served in rituals for blessing of food and personal objects. He aspires to join the main circle at which point he will be awarded with true power. In order to foster true wisdom and prepare for this next stage in his ascension, Zirus has elected to travel into the wider world as a way to learn more about its people, its customs, and devour them.

Personality

Zirus is not especially talkative, but will often engage with others and with his environment nonverbally. Zirus has been known to disengage from his surroundings – delving into his own personal space from time to time as if suddenly in deep contemplation or meditation. Zirus has an intensely spiritual outlook on the world – but has limited respect for or understanding of non-reptilian religious orders.

Attitude Towards Party Members

Zirus views fellow party members as curiosities. Warm-blooded ways of relating are foreign to Zirus. However, he has learned how to emulate the sorts of niceties that are exchanged between humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings. His attempts at social behavior and small talk sometimes come off as forced which, to be fair, they are. Zirus does recognize the need to value the other members of his party – understanding quite well that their survival is tied to his own. This respect is strained, though, for a fallen party member – for then Zirus’s practical side would identify that person as food.

Attitude Towards Society / Civilization

Any group larger than 100 is abstract to Zirus. He has a limited understanding of laws unless they have an apparent and immediate purpose. He does recognize the authority of the strong over the weak. Zirus sees the value of abiding by local customs – though what he does when he is not being observed may tend toward the practical rather than the lawful.
Ready your Sword, your Spells, your Warhammer. The Iron Realm Podcast awaits!
http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Being a Gnoll chef I can see Rakjak and Zirus getting along famously.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Antman9 »

Sol,

I am moving your The 0e Experience thread post here. I meant to lock that thread so that it stays clean with a single post; much easier for everyone to read that way. Not your fault, it's mine.
Sol wrote:Hello! I love this idea! It sounds like we will no longer be using our current character sheets, but I am not sure. Is the background listed on my sheet currently enough to start with? Many thanks! I like the organic way this is going.
Thanks for the support. Very much appreciated. We will still be using the character sheets for now. I don't want to make any big leaps, for myself and the players.

Zirus' Background:
History

Zirus hails from a nearby territory which is controlled by his people – Marsh Haven. His folk tend to keep to themselves, but any who pass near to or through their territory are subject to the often harsh sovereignty of the Lizard Tribe. Zirus is an aspirant to the tribe’s Priest Class and has served in rituals for blessing of food and personal objects. He aspires to join the main circle at which point he will be awarded with true power. In order to foster true wisdom and prepare for this next stage in his ascension, Zirus has elected to travel into the wider world as a way to learn more about its people, its customs, and devour them.

Personality

Zirus is not especially talkative, but will often engage with others and with his environment nonverbally. Zirus has been known to disengage from his surroundings – delving into his own personal space from time to time as if suddenly in deep contemplation or meditation. Zirus has an intensely spiritual outlook on the world – but has limited respect for or understanding of non-reptilian religious orders.

Attitude Towards Party Members

Zirus views fellow party members as curiosities. Warm-blooded ways of relating are foreign to Zirus. However, he has learned how to emulate the sorts of niceties that are exchanged between humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings. His attempts at social behavior and small talk sometimes come off as forced which, to be fair, they are. Zirus does recognize the need to value the other members of his party – understanding quite well that their survival is tied to his own. This respect is strained, though, for a fallen party member – for then Zirus’s practical side would identify that person as food.

Attitude Towards Society / Civilization

Any group larger than 100 is abstract to Zirus. He has a limited understanding of laws unless they have an apparent and immediate purpose. He does recognize the authority of the strong over the weak. Zirus sees the value of abiding by local customs – though what he does when he is not being observed may tend toward the practical rather than the lawful
You have pretty much everything you need for your character to transition aside from one element: A detailed description of your character's profession before he became an adventurer.

So basically list or describe the experiences that imply his best and worst skills/abilities. Perhaps specific events, training, studies, everyday activities that he would be proficient in. Possibly a mentor that helped? or someone or some event that pushed Zirus in the direction of adventuring? However you envision your character is fine with me, I'm just throwing out options for example purposes to get your mind moving in the right direction. One possibility is that you discovered a secret tome or worked with an elder to develop certain mystic skills (just ideas).

Then describe how you envision those abilities/skills working. We will work together to bring your vision to fruition. Sometimes I like to research existing sources, classes, races, etc., to get the juices flowing, and then brainstorm my own ideas.

You are the only one using a Cleric/Wizard type class right now. I will work on the transition details for that class of character to the classless system. For the most part, presently, we (you and I), if you ready to transition toward the 0e Experience, will discuss (in the Character Generation thread) how you envision your "cleric/Priest" skills working. Or you can continue playing your character under my present Cleric description.
Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Sol »

Antman,

Thank you for the nudge. I will update my character sheet (description) according to your requirements here. And yes! It sounds like fun delving deeper into the background of Zirus-s-s-s-s-s-s.

; )
Sol
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Antman9 »

We still have a couple of folks working on their backgrounds and character sheets. I still owe MonkeyWrench a workup on the Gnoll and Sol something on the cleric/priest transition details to the classless system. If Nuke wants to participate in the Classless System I can work up some details for a Psion type character (let me know Nuke).

I will make the first adventure thread post on Thursday evening, regardless of wether or not all of the characters are complete. We will just finish them up as we move forward. Please review your character notes below and make any changes/additions you like.

Here are the characters so far:

GreyaWolfVT : Kel Axelrod – Half Giant
  • 7’3”, 290 lbs, 33 yrs old, orange hair, sooty black skin.
  • Mother was a Fire Giant
  • Father was a Human Woodsman
  • Lived an isolated childhood harvesting timber with his father (primary skills).
  • Socially awkward, nervous around women
  • Short temper brought about by mocking due to societal abnormalities
  • Fear of being misunderstood, ridiculed, shunned.
  • Seeks out others that fall outside societal norms.
  • Sought a life of adventuring to find his true place in the world (???)
NOTE: Can you give a couple of details that specifically inspired your character to become an adventurer?

MonkeyWrench : Rakjak – Gnoll
  • Appearance: (???)
  • Raised in a small tribe of raiding scavenger Gnolls.
  • Born with a higher intelligence than his parents/tribe.
  • Became drawn to a better culinary existence.
  • After repeated attempts at culinary reform, he was ejected from the tribe
  • Sought out a cooking apprenticeship in civilized society, but Rejected at every turn.
  • Culinary desire turned to obsession, beginning a lifelong obsession for culinary excellence.
  • Stumbled upon a traveling eccentric hermetic cook who would teach him.
  • Driven to the adventuring life after his mentor was killed by Orcs, Rakjak now wanders the land in search of rare ingredients to perfect his culinary art.
  • Tends to see creatures for their culinary attributes, including how they might taste, how best to dissect and prepare them, etc.
NOTE: Can you expand upon your character’s physical appearance/stature. Also describe how your character react/act in structured social environment, around strangers, around his own kind? How will he regard the rest of the adventuring party in combat?

Dram : Lyaera Arabana – Dark Elf
  • Appearance: 4’9”, 115 lbs, 138yrs old, midnight black hair, green eyes, facial scar
  • Orphan
  • Treated as an outcast, never finding a suitable home.
  • Ran away at the age of 13 and joined a gypsy traveling circus.
  • Found a natural connection with the circus animals
  • Mentored by One-Eyed Jack the knife thrower
  • Made a living by robbing fairgoers, but was forced to hand over a majority to Jax.
  • When Jax was murdered by a jealous lover, Lyaera sought a life of adventuring.
  • Believes in living to fight another day, taking calculated risks, and a long and prosperous existence.
NOTE: Can you describe, with a couple of points, how your character will react/act in structured social environment, around strangers, around her own kind? How will she regard the rest of the adventuring party in combat?

Sol : Zirus – Lizard Man
  • Appearance: 6’5”, 210 lbs, 22 yrs old, amber eyes, green reptilian skin
  • Member of a large, secluded, highly organized Lizard tribe
  • Often quiet, though not anti-social
  • Tendency toward deep contemplation and meditation
  • Intensely spiritual outlook of the world
  • Views outsiders (non-Lizardmen) as foreign/strange curiosities to be studied
  • Has adopted a behavior consistent with social norms, customs, and rules of any outside society, group, or party member to serve his own purpose: to infiltrate and learn the ways of other societies.
  • Grew up as an aspirant to his tribe’s Priest Class, participating in rituals.
  • Desires to t join his main circle of priesthood.
  • To attain ascension Zirus must travel the world, garnering wisdom about the wider world, its people, and their customs.
NOTE: Can you expand upon this area: “Grew up as an aspirant to his tribe’s Priest Class, participating in rituals.” Possibly give a few details about that experience. Did he study in books, ancient and or new, about his own cultural history, the wider world, spiritual studies? Did he participate or was he mentored in some form of priestly/clerical rituals/prayers that brought about some tangle effect (spell type abilities).

thesniperknight1 : Caiden Cross – Human
  • Appearance: 5’9”, 145 lbs, 26 yrs old, blue eyes, black hair, slightly tanned skin, average build and appearance, small facial scar.
  • Born of wealthy, honest merchants.
  • Entire family murdered when he was 14.
  • After seeking out and killing his family’s murderer, he was recruited by an assassins guild.
  • Taught in the ways of fighting, and to overcome strength with speed, agility, and finesse.
  • Detests fighting but will stand to fight with his comrades.
  • Outgoing attitude with a sarcastic sense of humor.
  • Keeps his personal problems to himself unless beneficial to the group.
  • Believes in, and respects others, who live by a moral code.
  • Became torn by the lifestyle, of killing and robbing, even though innocents were never hurt.
  • Upon the discovery that the Duke ordered his family’s death, he took a hard look within.
  • Discovered an ugly beast called Greed, eating at his soul, bent on a revenge that could never be sated.
  • Vowed to never again let greed rule his emotions, and so sought a life of adventuring.
NOTE: Your background opens up a lot of non-weapon, and/or non-lethal combat option for your character. If you would like to pursue these option make a post here in the Character Generation so we can discuss them.

nuke66 : Lafradon (Laffy) – Pixie
  • Appearance:
NOTE: Can you work on your Pixie’s pathology/background? Thanks.

stephberg: ??? – Nemed (Melivora: Honey Badger)
  • Appearance:
NOTE: Get busy, you!
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

NOTE: Can you give a couple of details that specifically inspired your character to become an adventurer?
What makes anyone seek out something out of the normal humdrum activities of life? Boredom, wanting more in life, something happened that gave a taste of the thrill of adventure? Answers would be Yes, Yes & Yes. Strange things have been happening even in other places besides Dragons Belch that have shocked and scared other folks but not Kel it exhilarated him gave him a rush of Adrenalin chasing after an over-sized spider and dispatching it with his axe. The other giant insects that came to his town he did the same thing to and found it was a lot of "fun" and was so much more different than just living day in and day out as a woodsman. After the town was cleared of these bugs though Kel found himself bored again and stuck back in the normal average life of a woodsman once more. Decidedly hearing news of other places having similar strangeness Kel decided I'm sick of this common life I want to adventure help other towns like mine with these crazy happenings.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Sol »

Antman9 wrote:NOTE: Can you expand upon this area: “Grew up as an aspirant to his tribe’s Priest Class, participating in rituals.” Possibly give a few details about that experience. Did he study in books, ancient and or new, about his own cultural history, the wider world, spiritual studies? Did he participate or was he mentored in some form of priestly/clerical rituals/prayers that brought about some tangle effect (spell type abilities).
In Zirus's tribe, the Priest Class held all the power. Even their eight-armed leader would bend his plans according to the wisdom of the Priests. Zirus recognized this power-behind-the-throne at an early age and was attracted to it. As he became older, he realized the nuances of that power - the way that Lizard Culture had, subtly, been guided from the temple.

Books were rare in his home, the Festerlands, since most disintegrated in the humidity. Some rare few were preserved by the Priest Class - their locations and contents were guarded secrets. But the bulk of high knowledge amongst his people was passed from tongue to tongue - or else recorded in stone within the temple itself.

Zirus gained the favor of the priests in his adolescence by making himself useful and performing menial tasks for them. He was called to participate in rituals, the most common of which involved the slaughter of food animals, but occasionally also of their enemies. On one such occasion, an innocent was slaughtered and feasted upon - a thinking being of another race - and something about this event settled badly with Zirus, though he did not challenge the action at that time and rather chose to bury his disdain. He would not speak of it again for many years.

Zirus was given the gift of power by the Priests when their elder, Hosaava, recognized the Hunger within him. The Hunger for divine understanding. He trained long with these new abilities as a member of the Temple's Inner Circle, mastering especially power over plants and prophecy. In time, he would also seek the ability to heal, especially against poisons and toxins.

As he reached adulthood, politics shifted within the Priesthood and so more and more often, the tribe would bend to the will of their Chief and carry out attacks on neighboring humanoid tribes - halflings, elves, dwarves - who were captured systematically and consumed as food in the name of their goddess. Zirus's previous misgivings were rekindled, and he began to question these acts. He was shunned by many in his own order and threatened by his people, and though he had some allies within the tribe, it had become clear that if he was to gain further understanding, that he must leave the tribe and seek the answers elsewhere.
thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Antman9 wrote: NOTE: Your background opens up a lot of non-weapon, and/or non-lethal combat option for your character. If you would like to pursue these option make a post here in the Character Generation so we can discuss them.
Caiden's fighting style is using whatever is there to his advantage, improvising on the spot a way to defeat enemies using various tactics. A lot of the time all that he has is simply his two fists and using technique to overcome strength is sometimes his only option, a form of martial art if you will, but integrating that into dnd seems a bit far fetched, I am not sure how that would even work
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Antman9 wrote:MonkeyWrench : Rakjak – Gnoll
  • Appearance: (???)
    NOTE: Can you expand upon your character’s physical appearance/stature. Also describe how your character react/act in structured social environment, around strangers, around his own kind? How will he regard the rest of the adventuring party in combat?
Rakjak is probably a bit smaller than the average Gnoll, standing at 5'10, and is entering into a Gnoll's version of middle age at 18 years old and weighing about 195 pounds. He has a more thin and muscular physique from all the time running, climbing, and general traveling during his apprenticeship and searches, preferring to be more wiry and agile. He has tanned fur with spots covering his back, shoulders, arms, and legs; the fur covering his front is without any spots. Personality wise he is both parts joker and butcher, usually in a joyful mood and confident that he knows his place in the world. In combat he takes joy in the slaying and butchering of enemies, often remarking on their uses as food ingredients.

While Rakjak has traveled to many different towns and cities he is still from a Gnoll raiding tribe and his mannerisms act out that, while in a group of fellow adventurers he will find the strongest person and listen to them as the leader, following their orders as the pack leader, unless he does not deem anyone in the group stronger than him and as such will take the leadership role, confronting any that wish to take it from him. As a Gnoll Rakjak has no preference over where his food comes from, this includes other sapient races, and while with his own group or with strangers will most likely comment on the tastiness or probable tastiness of their particular race, the only thing that Rakjak will not abide by is cannibalism of ones own race, finding the topic of cannibalism far too barbaric.

As a rule most tribes of Gnolls fight each other, always striving for dominance, as he came from such tribes Rakjak will see most fellow Gnolls as hostile unless he has a reason not too, such as if they are city born and not affiliated with any tribe or the leader tells him to back off. If the fellow Gnoll is city born then Rakjak will either display curiosity or disdain, depending on who and what the Gnoll is. While Rakjak has not forgotten the rejection he faced, and that will play a part in his interactions with strangers, he cannot help but be fascinated with the different types of technology that civilizations have made towards the art of cooking.

While in combat with his fellow group members he will defer to the strategy of the leader unless he has a reason to follow someone else, his particular combat style was taught to him by his fellow Gnoll raiders, fast attacking and flanking maneuvers, often barking out an enemies weak spots as he finds them so that the group can capitalize on it to take the enemy down faster. Throughout combat Rakjak will express both frustration and joy, frustrated if the enemy doesn't go down fast enough and the pure joy of finding more ingredients. If a party member is not pulling their own weight, at least in the eyes of Rakjak, he will openly say something on it and even confront them, remarking that if they cannot help the group in battle then they can help the group in a cooking pot.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Dram »

NOTE: Can you describe, with a couple of points, how your character will react/act in structured social environment, around strangers, around her own kind? How will she regard the rest of the adventuring party in combat?

Socially she will stay in the background and watch and observe the people around her as she trusts very few. In a group that she trusts Lyaera will work as a team player. Some would consider her a hoarder as she keeps everything. Her backpack is full, mostpeople would call it junk. But if it there is a real threat of danger she move into the shadows and wait for it to be safe or attack if the opportunity is in her favor. Around others of her race or a orphan she will protect them and offer them any help she can.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Sol »

Dram wrote:Some would consider her a hoarder as she keeps everything. Her backpack is full, mostpeople would call it junk.
Oh, this is a cool twist. I am thinking of a character that, every now and then, pulls out just the right odd object to save the day. This is probably perfect for Antman's story-centric kind of game, too.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Antman9 »

Great job everyone. Some really interesting dynamics going on here. Heehee. This aughta be good.

Updated characters stats:

GreyaWolfVT : Kel Axelrod – Half Giant
  • 7’3”, 290 lbs, 33 yrs old, orange hair, sooty black skin.
  • Mother was a Fire Giant
  • Father was a Human Woodsman
  • Lived an isolated childhood harvesting timber with his father (primary skills).
  • Socially awkward, nervous around women
  • Short temper brought about by mocking due to societal abnormalities
  • Fear of being misunderstood, ridiculed, shunned.
  • Seeks out others that fall outside societal norms.
  • Survived giant bug attack on his village and discovered a knack for adventuring
  • Sought a life of adventure for the pure joy of killing giant bugs and things for the betterment of society, kind of.

MonkeyWrench : Rakjak – Gnoll
  • Appearance: 5’10”, 195 lbs, 18 yrs old, orange hair, tanned fur with spots, thin & muscular.
  • Raised in a small tribe of raiding scavenger Gnolls.
  • Born with a higher intelligence than his parents/tribe.
  • Became drawn to a better culinary existence.
  • After repeated attempts at culinary reform, he was ejected from the tribe
  • Sought out a cooking apprenticeship in civilized society, but Rejected at every turn.
  • Culinary desire turned to obsession, beginning a lifelong obsession for culinary excellence.
  • Stumbled upon a traveling eccentric hermetic cook who would teach him.
  • Joyful, confident, joker & butcher; a follower at heart but takes charge when required.
  • Takes joy in slaying and butchering his enemies in a chef-like manner.
  • Will not abide cannibalism.
  • Considers other Gnolls hostile unless circumstances dictate otherwise.
  • Fascinated by the technological and civilized advances in cooking apparatuses of modern civilizations.
  • Combat strategies: fast-attack, flanking-maneuver-combat-barker
  • Driven to the adventuring life after his mentor was killed by Orcs, Rakjak now wanders the land in search of rare ingredients to perfect his culinary art.
  • Tends to see creatures for their culinary attributes, including how they might taste, how best to dissect and prepare them, etc.

Dram : Lyaera Arabana – Dark Elf
  • Appearance: 4’9”, 115 lbs, 138yrs old, midnight black hair, green eyes, facial scar
  • Orphan
  • Treated as an outcast, never finding a suitable home.
  • Ran away at the age of 13 and joined a gypsy traveling circus.
  • Found a natural connection with the circus animals
  • Mentored by One-Eyed Jack the knife thrower
  • Made a living by robbing fairgoers, but was forced to hand over a majority to Jax.
  • When Jax was murdered by a jealous lover, Lyaera sought a life of adventuring.
  • Believes in living to fight another day, taking calculated risks, and a long and prosperous existence.
  • Distrustful of outsiders, but will work closely with a select few she trusts.
  • Hoarding addict.
  • Combat tactics: Sticks to the shadows, opportunistic attacker.

Sol : Zirus – Lizard Man
  • Appearance: 6’5”, 210 lbs, 22 yrs old, amber eyes, green reptilian skin
  • Member of a large, secluded, highly organized Lizard tribe
  • Often quiet, though not anti-social
  • Tendency toward deep contemplation and meditation
  • Intensely spiritual outlook of the world
  • Views outsiders (non-Lizardmen) as foreign/strange curiosities to be studied
  • Has adopted a behavior consistent with social norms, customs, and rules of any outside society, group, or party member to serve his own purpose: to infiltrate and learn the ways of other societies.
  • Grew up as an aspirant to his tribe’s Priest Class, participating in rituals.
  • Witnessed, as a participant, the ritualistic murder of an innocent, tainting his faith in the order.
  • Inducted into his Temple’s Inner Circle.
  • Mentored in the divine skills of plants, prophecy, poisons & toxins, and healing.
  • Concerned his order could no longer provide the necessary training to achieve further enlightenment, Zirus set out to seek answers elsewhere.

thesniperknight1 : Caiden Cross – Human
  • Appearance: 5’9”, 145 lbs, 26 yrs old, blue eyes, black hair, slightly tanned skin, average build and appearance, small facial scar.
  • Born of wealthy, honest merchants.
  • Entire family murdered when he was 14.
  • After seeking out and killing his family’s murderer, he was recruited by an assassins guild.
  • Taught in the ways of fighting, and to overcome strength with speed, agility, and finesse (the martial arts).
  • Detests fighting but will stand to fight with his comrades.
  • Outgoing attitude with a sarcastic sense of humor.
  • Keeps his personal problems to himself unless beneficial to the group.
  • Believes in, and respects others, who live by a moral code.
  • Became torn by the lifestyle, of killing and robbing, even though innocents were never hurt.
  • Upon the discovery that the Duke ordered his family’s death, he took a hard look within.
  • Discovered an ugly beast called Greed, eating at his soul, bent on a revenge that could never be sated.
  • Vowed to never again let greed rule his emotions, and so sought a life of adventuring.

nuke66 : Lafradon (Laffy) – Pixie
  • Appearance:
NOTE: Can you work on your Pixie’s pathology/background? Thanks.

stephberg: ??? – Nemed (Melivora: Honey Badger)
  • Appearance:
NOTE: Get busy, you!
TAG2000
Squire
Squire

#19 Post by TAG2000 »

Tahlasar Vamir
Gruagach Elf
4'6", 90 lbs, gray hair, Black eyes, brownish-green skin

Tahlasar was an odd child, always shunned or seen as an outsider due to his exotic control of his innate magic ability. Strangely, plants seem to grow faster and bloom beautifully when they’re near him. Everyday was a constant battle to avoid all other tribe members as he had no interest in such interaction. Tahlasar was more concerned with the surrounding life of shrubbery and other seedlings. Other tribe members were disgusted by this discussing his ‘twisted morals’ and inability to entertain the thought of a conversation. The ultimate decision of the tribe elders was to banish him. Tahlasar’s mother a very quiet woman, was pressed with a very difficult decision leave with her son or abandon her son altogether, not being able to make the decision, Tahlasar was taken from her, and it was made for her. He was drugged and tossed in the river to drown.
He awoke tangled in grass near the river unable to move, after sitting a wiggling for a few seconds the grass seemed to unroll and free him. Left to his own devices Tahlasar wandered in the forest looking for someone or something to guide him through this new life he has been forced into. After just a few minutes of looking, he found a very bright plant that seemed to be calling him, almost commanding him to consume it. Quickly, the urge became too great, and he ripped the flower from it’s stem and ate it whole. Several minutes passed when suddenly a sensation of incredible pain overtook him. his entire body felt as if it was on fire, and from somewhere deep within him, something was twisting in very dark ways.Convulsing, unable to control his own body, writhing from the pain, Tahlasar passed out.
Once again Tahlasar woke up unable to move but this time when he opened his eyes the only thing he was met with was absolute darkness.This new strength felt as if it coarsed through his veins, he felt powerful. expecting to be freed just like last time he stays calm and wiggles slightly but nothing happens. Panic begins to set in and Tahlasar tries to rip himself free but nothing happens. After an anguishing moment of panic he looks inward for his calming center. deep within his mind he finds something new, in this meditative state Tahlasar focuses on this and allows it to show him the way. Voices fill his conscience , everything he was thinking about disappears and is forcibly replaced by something new, as if someone or something else is in charge. A deep pounding fills Tahlasar’s head and pain begins to surge through his mind. He was no longer in control but he knew he had to be so he pushed back and eventually fought off these thoughts and refocused. Tahlasar felt control of more than just himself he thought about his freedom and the plants around him started to move away, he was free but his clothes were gone these new plants wrapped him as if they were a part of him. Vines seemed to grow from his own flesh and small thorns protruded from the foliage that covered him.
Tahlasar was not the same person as before, his body had changed entirely and he had no idea how to control it. As days pass Tahlasar tests this new ability that he has gained and learns that he can interact with the plants around him but the only thing he could fully control was the plants that covered his body, able to make them grow or shorten on command and slightly change their purpose. Tahlasar’s body was not done changing yet, over the span of 4 weeks more thorns began to grow, more vines grew and Tahlasar taught himself how to use them to his advantage. Cutting, grabbing, hunting, these new abilities had a plethora of uses and kept him alive. Voices talked to Tahlasar throughout all this teaching him how to properly use his surroundings to aid him and defend him from any predators. Eventually the voices told him he had to fight usually he wouldn't be the type for fighting but something within him was different he wanted to test his abilities so he set out to find a proper opponent.
stephberg
Scout
Scout

#20 Post by stephberg »

Stephberg : Tahari – Honey Badger
4', 185 lbs, 20 yrs old, off white fur with dark black strips
Highly intelligent and inquisitive.
Often does not recognize the danger in front of him due to his inquisitive nature.
Lived a very sheltered, plush, life, devoid of social strife.
Very laid back and avoids physical confrontation until absolutely necessary.

Tahari’s father studies linguistics, striving to know the phonetics, phonology, and morphology, of all the high languages. He speaks 8 different languages fluently, and can write 11. His mother runs the prestigious Cavelle School of Etiquette. Believing that thru our behavioral patterns, and manors, in social situations, we could advance our status in the global society that has emerged. She has very little patience with those not learned in her ways, and not tolerance what so ever for what she deems to be rude behavior, regardless of cultural relevance.
Tahari, also highly intelligent, was always more interested in how they got to where they are, and the development of all the species around them. With such a short history, he sought out to answer the questions “Why” and “How”. Why were some creatures advanced, while others were not? How does their biology differ from others? While his parents simply accused him of simply ignoring the important studies in life and playing with bugs in the dirt, Tahari was starting a life long search and study of life itself.
Tafari very quickly found himself thinking of far off lands and all the wonderful new creatures he could encounter and study, and he devised a plan to get his parents to pay for just such a trip.
Tafari concentrated on everything his parents placed in front of him, setting the curve on all subjects of study, as well as, quickly mastering half a dozen languages, and the proper etiquette of the societies that his parents deemed the “High Races”. On the day of his graduation came the proposal. Tafari would leave the island to study language and culture on the big island, and as it just so happens, all the species he can find along the way. After hours of discussing, scheming, and convincing, it was all set and Tafari’s travels began.
Quickly realizing traveling alone would be suicide, it was suggested that he seek out Netheril for guidance, and possible placement with a group.
:ugeek:
"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission!"
-Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

Return to “Dragons Belch: A New Beginning”