[Continued] - Quirin/Dwarves II - 5 April, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[Continued] - Quirin/Dwarves II - 5 April, 1 VC

#1 Post by Keehnelf »

Continued from the previous thread.
Last edited by Keehnelf on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Expedition - Quirin/Dwarves II - 5 April, 1 VC

#2 Post by KingOfCowards »

sulldawga wrote:You think our buddy Uhtlutz here would have just gone on his way if we had ignored him and let him go? Don't be delusional. He would have reported back to his leaders and we would have run into those guys either way. At least now they're not between us and our escape route.
"No way of knowing really. Uhtlutz may have thought we were no more of his concern once we left his area, or we may have been well upon our way by the time he reported back. Either way, it was a snap judgment - and what's done is done. I think we could handle that group with the right tactics, but if the rest of you would rather head back. I guess that's what we do."
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sulldawga »

Ogres are 4+1 HD creatures. A Sleep spell can affect them, but only them and no other hobbos.

Ogres also can be affected by Charm Person, which Quirin knows but doesn't currently have memorized.

We can try to Charm the boss hobbo but if he's statted out like a Hobbo King, he's a 5 HD monster and he'll have 1d4 bodyguards with him who are like 4 HD monsters. Sleep would work on all of the guards with one spell but the boss can't be put to sleep.

We're still only looking at a 65% chance of putting the Ogre to sleep.

Quirin could close to within 120' of the Boss and try to Charm him from a distance without him knowing. If that fails, we only have one Sleep left and potentially several high level foes to deal with.

I don't know why we'd gamble on all that if we didn't have to. 1st level PCs have to know when to run away and fight another day.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Keehnelf »

If you're facing a mixed group of monsters, Sleep will automatically target the lowest HD creatures available first. Between targets with the same HD, you can elect to specifically target based on available HD affected.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by KingOfCowards »

sulldawga wrote:Ogres are 4+1 HD creatures. A Sleep spell can affect them, but only them and no other hobbos.

Ogres also can be affected by Charm Person, which Quirin knows but doesn't currently have memorized.

We can try to Charm the boss hobbo but if he's statted out like a Hobbo King, he's a 5 HD monster and he'll have 1d4 bodyguards with him who are like 4 HD monsters. Sleep would work on all of the guards with one spell but the boss can't be put to sleep.

We're still only looking at a 65% chance of putting the Ogre to sleep.

Quirin could close to within 120' of the Boss and try to Charm him from a distance without him knowing. If that fails, we only have one Sleep left and potentially several high level foes to deal with.

I don't know why we'd gamble on all that if we didn't have to. 1st level PCs have to know when to run away and fight another day.
The leader might be a hobgoblin king or he might not. I guess we won't know until we are higher level. I think the big question is what their leader is mounted on. Two sleep spells take out everyone except the ogre, the leader's mount, and possibly the leader, and then its two (or three) against seven with three healers in our back pocket to take care of us if we go down. Assuming that they make their morale check. I don't think its an easy fight, but nor do I think its a suicide mission like its made out to be. It seems I am outnumbered, so it's not worth arguing over. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Not trying to stir up trouble.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Its tempting to go after them but also quite reckless. They all get saves vs. Sleep remember. We can go check out that black tower on our way back though.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by sulldawga »

Guys, I'm going off-line for vacation in about two hours so if someone else can assume the mantle of "Caller" and figure out what the party wants to do next, I'd appreciate it.

Quirin, Abi, Buryl, and Crivit have voted to head back and I think that's a majority so I propose we end discussion and get on the move. Take Uht with us until we reach dwarven land and then let him go, and give him all his possessions back. Yes, even the horn.

As long as we have sufficient rations (call it three days), I am fine with us exploring somewhere else before we head back to Vaul. I don't think we should report our failure to the Thane just yet. Either the tower/labyrinth or that rune-covered door is fine with me.

Quirin's tactics involve staying the hell out of melee combat if at all possible. He prefers to cast Sleep and then use his bow from a distance first.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram spits in disapproval, but follows orders. "Alright. You heard the elf, back the way we came." He gives the prisoner an authoritative nudge with his spear to get him on his way.
1 day rations deducted
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by hedgeknight »

Dejected and quiet, Krysta goes with the group.

Rations deducted.
Winter is coming...
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Spartakos »

Galen tries to cheer Krysta. "Be not dejected; we have seen sights I doubt mortal man has in many a year, if ever, and the gaining of knowledge is never a worthless pursuit. We may well return and complete this quest another day." He will take his position at the front once more, back the way we came.

I say we check the labyrinth, then. If my trusty map is right, we'll want to get back in sight of the dwarven hold, then head south-southeast.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by hedgeknight »

Krysta smiles at Galen. "You're right > no sense in brooding. It was pretty exciting to visit a dwarven hold. Pelor forgive me for acting foolish > may his light continue to shine on us all!"
Winter is coming...
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sulldawga »

Wow, you guys haven't gone anywhere since I left! Let's get going now that I'm back!
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Spartakos »

Well, we had our marching orders in. I think the DM's been a little out of it. Hopefully, he'll be recovered (or less busy) soon.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Keehnelf »

April 11, 1 VC - 10:20am

The party agrees to head back westward, following the line of the forest steadily toward the southwest and the edge of the moor with the hobgoblin in tow. He offers no complaint, but seems less chipper than the day before, which the group takes as a good sign.

The next morning they come within sight of the folds of the moorland in the west and it is time to release the hobgoblin.

Please deduct one day's rations each.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by sulldawga »

Quirin

You've been an exemplary POW, Uhtlutz. It'll be a shame if I have to kill you the next time I see you. If you're ever looking for a job with a little more freedom, I'd let you explore with me anytime. Your discipline is laudatory.

I know this is a bit of retcon, but can we say that Quirin spent the night looking for a map in Uht's books, copied it down, and also copied down the coordinates Uht was hitting on his patrol? Would be nice to know what territory the hobs are patrolling regularly.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Keehnelf »

The map in his stuff is large and extremely detailed. You can get a lot of info from it, but it will take quite some time to copy.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by KingOfCowards »

Maybe we should take the map with us if we don't have time to copy it
GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by GTan_Baq »

Abi deducts one days rations
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by AleBelly »

<duplicate> :oops:
Last edited by AleBelly on Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by AleBelly »

Crivit turns to the hobgoblin. "I apologize for our group taking you as a prisoner. We must inconvenience you by taking your map. I'm sure there are many others at your headquarters, and as explorers, this will prove vital to us. It will keep us out of your territory, so this serves us both to live in peace."

Day's rations deducted.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”