Session 15: Assault on Carn Angor

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Session 15: Assault on Carn Angor

#1 Post by Johnny Champion »

DM: Use this TOPIC for discussion on our session tonight. Use this for mostly for In-Character discussion or some form of it.

Map: Angor and Surrounding for Reference
Carn Angor and Surrounding
Carn Angor and Surrounding
Angor and Surrounding.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1045 times

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Session 15: Assault on Carn Angor

#2 Post by Johnny Champion »

Rhourk wrote:Nihil looks about at the carnage inflicted by the party, clearly impressed at the prowess of those so much farther along their path than him.

OOC: is anyone else close to a level? I am going to assume that Nihil will level because he only needs 2k xp. If no one else needs to we can skip it. It would really help him catch up though, otherwise all his xp is going out the window. Also we can cut the travel time in half by having Lumiere Word of Recall us to town. On that note we should also visit the gnome city/town eventually and have Faelwyn bond their teleport circle. hey are highly magical creatures and probably have one.
DM: Level him up fully and I will provide more details later.

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Rhourk »

Works for me. Thanks.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Agnati »

Rhourk wrote:OOC: is anyone else close to a level? I am going to assume that Nihil will level because he only needs 2k xp. If no one else needs to we can skip it. It would really help him catch up though, otherwise all his xp is going out the window. Also we can cut the travel time in half by having Lumiere Word of Recall us to town. On that note we should also visit the gnome city/town eventually and have Faelwyn bond their teleport circle. hey are highly magical creatures and probably have one.
According to the character sheets, Rickul & Kaleb (to the best of my knowledge, Craig) are about 20k away from lvl, Lumiere is about 15k away. Not sure about the rest of the party.
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Rhourk »

Yeah I don't see 20k from that last run, so we should be good to press on.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Agnati »

Rhourk wrote:Yeah I don't see 20k from that last run, so we should be good to press on.
We're actually looking at XP for the last 2 sessions

Tungsten
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Tungsten »

OOC: I'm about 20k and 25k away from next levels.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by Johnny Champion »

I had a chance to think about the encounter with Potromo (14th level Conjurer).

Though I think I am correct that this ability is not a spell in a conventional manner (no spell slots used) and that he should be able to teleport himself while bound and gagged, I was wrong in a few other areas.

1. The location to which he teleports, must be seen and within 30'. I had him teleport outside 30'. That should not be allowed.

2. He may have been blindfolded and if he was, that was another error made.

3. In regard to general spell casting: We need to determine the hand movements necessary to accomplish the Somatic requirements.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Johnny Champion »

Experience Point Totals: 146593 XP

PC Totals:
Groot 5924
Tungsten 22457
Lumiere 22457
Mooki 22457
Kaleb 22457
Faelwen 22457
Rickul 22457
Nihil 5924

Monsters: 79450 XP
Potromo
Fighters (4)
Conjurers (4)
Clerics (2)
Thieves (2)
Gnolls (>15)
Gnoll Packlord
Gnoll Fang
Goblins (>30)
Grell (3)
Trolls (3)
Umber Hulks (2)
Golems (Flesh and Clay)
Medusa (2)
Fomorians (2)
Minotaurs (2)
Hags (3)

Treasure (Coins): 2230 XP
93pp, 3320gp, 2100sp = 4460gp

Treasure (Gems and Jewelry): 16913 XP
See Spreadsheeet

Magic Items: 16500 XP
Potions
Bracers,
Spell Book
Staff of Darkness
Coven Ritual Tome
Elven Spider Cloak
Mummy Robe

Quests: 31500 XP
Rathillion 8000
Restore Loden 10000
Ionna Feign 5000
Turrus Fatem 5000
Goblin Cave 3500
Last edited by Johnny Champion on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Agnati »

Via email, Lumiere wrote:Lumiere is with the rest of the party as they go outside and approach Nihil standing over the body of Potromo. "Master rogue, we appreciate your zeal and your particular expertise, but you will not execute our hostages without the rest of the party present and agreeing that it's the best or only course of action. Though you have proven a most valuable member of our party, please refrain from this behavior in the future."

Then she kneels down and, cringing, breaks every one of Potromo's fingers before casting Revivify on him and returning him to life. Lumiere decided to revive Potromo, the evil wizard, and interagate him to find out what he knows. She has a feeling that he has alot to say. Plus she doesn't need him warning the vampires that we're coming. While fighting Potromo, Kaleb is struck by his evil staff and since he and Lumiere shared a Warding bond, she felt the effects of the darkness on her very soul, so she is a little more cautious than normal.

As he lays bound and gagged, Lumiere stands over him thinking that he knows something. Lumiere bends down and touches his forehand with a soft touch to bring him back long enough to question him. As his eyes start to open, Lumiere steps back and says, " Now that you are restrained from using any magic, you are to answer our questions. "Let this be the first thought through your evil mind, Potromo. You have been granted half a breath of life and are surrounded by a party of adventurers, each of them more than capable of snuffing out your small flicker of life, out in the middle of this open field. There's nowhere for you to go and should you even twitch in the wrong direction, our rogue friend will certainly take pleasure in finishing you off for a second time.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by Johnny Champion »

Agnati wrote:
Via email, Lumiere wrote:Lumiere is with the rest of the party as they go outside and approach Nihil standing over the body of Potromo. "Master rogue, we appreciate your zeal and your particular expertise, but you will not execute our hostages without the rest of the party present and agreeing that it's the best or only course of action. Though you have proven a most valuable member of our party, please refrain from this behavior in the future."

Then she kneels down and, cringing, breaks every one of Potromo's fingers before casting Revivify on him and returning him to life. Lumiere decided to revive Potromo, the evil wizard, and interagate him to find out what he knows. She has a feeling that he has alot to say. Plus she doesn't need him warning the vampires that we're coming. While fighting Potromo, Kaleb is struck by his evil staff and since he and Lumiere shared a Warding bond, she felt the effects of the darkness on her very soul, so she is a little more cautious than normal.

As he lays bound and gagged, Lumiere stands over him thinking that he knows something. Lumiere bends down and touches his forehand with a soft touch to bring him back long enough to question him. As his eyes start to open, Lumiere steps back and says, " Now that you are restrained from using any magic, you are to answer our questions. "Let this be the first thought through your evil mind, Potromo. You have been granted half a breath of life and are surrounded by a party of adventurers, each of them more than capable of snuffing out your small flicker of life, out in the middle of this open field. There's nowhere for you to go and should you even twitch in the wrong direction, our rogue friend will certainly take pleasure in finishing you off for a second time.
Potromo, gasping for breath as he reenters the living: "I offer what ever knowledge I have in payment for my life...what is it you want of me?"

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Rhourk »

Nihil: I am sorry if you disapprove, righteous one. But I have not executed anyone. He was far from helpless. He assaulted me with magic to kill me with my own nightmares, he teleported from under your nose, and I assume as he was at his full spell casting capabilities that his next spell would have slain me outright, summoned aid or removed him from the field of battle completely. I would have gladly explained the situation to you when you made your way here from the area that he escaped from. But look you have revived him after all, please carry on, let me get out of your way.

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Rhourk »

Kaleb looks at the rogue, looks at his axe, and appears to be deep in thought.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Agnati »

Johnny Champion wrote:Potromo, gasping for breath as he reenters the living: "I offer what ever knowledge I have in payment for my life...what is it you want of me?"
Rickul gives a knowing nod to Groot for a Zone of Truth to be cast before putting his +1 Greatsword to Potromo's throat.
"We know you by name, conjurer, but who exactly are you? What is your business in these lands and, most importantly, who do you work for and what is their plan?"

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Johnny Champion »

Agnati wrote:
Johnny Champion wrote:Potromo, gasping for breath as he reenters the living: "I offer what ever knowledge I have in payment for my life...what is it you want of me?"
Rickul gives a knowing nod to Groot for a Zone of Truth to be cast before putting his +1 Greatsword to Potromo's throat.
"We know you by name, conjurer, but who exactly are you? What is your business in these lands and, most importantly, who do you work for and what is their plan?"
Potromo: "There was a time I was a great adventurer, part of band of brothers, who fought for power and treasure. We never viewed ourselves as champions of good or justice. It seems the rumours of your power and fidelity are true and for that, I find myself an admirer. But, time has marched on and I've grew past my brothers and decided to seek knowledge and power in solitary. I created Ionna Feign as a means to expand my reach and isolate me from the details of the outside world. Isok came to me at first telepathically. I realized the power of the Sironeau Vampire Realms of the north and was aware of the legend of Isok. His power and reach beyond our plane intriqued me and I soon entered service with him in exchange for greater access to the Negative Plane and powers beyond."

He continues: "So it is Isok to whom I owe service, but it seems that has ended," he smiles and coughs up more blood "could someone remove this bolt from my face?"

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Johnny Champion »

** EDIT NOTE **

I have updated (increased) the XP totals due to a necklace found in the Potromo's Chest.

Some of the gems your party found in his chest were more carefully analyzed..there were in fact green garnets and NOT jade and quartz was found and the amethyst qty was adjusted. The Gem spreadsheet is correct.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Agnati »

Johnny Champion wrote:
Agnati wrote: Rickul gives a knowing nod to Groot for a Zone of Truth to be cast before putting his +1 Greatsword to Potromo's throat.
Potromo: "There was a time I was a great adventurer, part of band of brothers, who fought for power and treasure. We never viewed ourselves as champions of good or justice. It seems the rumors of your power and fidelity are true and for that, I find myself an admirer. But, time has marched on and I've grew past my brothers and decided to seek knowledge and power in solitary. I created Ionna Feign as a means to expand my reach and isolate me from the details of the outside world. Isok came to me at first telepathically. I realized the power of the Sironeau Vampire Realms of the north and was aware of the legend of Isok. His power and reach beyond our plane intriqued me and I soon entered service with him in exchange for greater access to the Negative Plane and powers beyond."

He continues: "So it is Isok to whom I owe service, but it seems that has ended," he smiles and coughs up more blood "could someone remove this bolt from my face?"
Rickul looks around and notices Nihil's amused smirk, then to the rest of the party for a yay or nay nod as to whether we spare his life for more information or finish him off for the second and last time.
"You should know that if we even get a hint that those in Angor have been warned of our coming, you will not die... for that would be too easy. Instead, we will hunt you down and imprison your soul in the very same gem carried by those that failed to guard you the first time. Now, tell us what Isok has planned and how to get to him. What challenges do we face in Angor and how can we get save passage within?

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Rhourk »

Ha, even if Nihil was smirking (and he may be) you couldn't see it!

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by Johnny Champion »

Agnati wrote:
Johnny Champion wrote:
Agnati wrote: Rickul gives a knowing nod to Groot for a Zone of Truth to be cast before putting his +1 Greatsword to Potromo's throat.
Potromo: "There was a time I was a great adventurer, part of band of brothers, who fought for power and treasure. We never viewed ourselves as champions of good or justice. It seems the rumors of your power and fidelity are true and for that, I find myself an admirer. But, time has marched on and I've grew past my brothers and decided to seek knowledge and power in solitary. I created Ionna Feign as a means to expand my reach and isolate me from the details of the outside world. Isok came to me at first telepathically. I realized the power of the Sironeau Vampire Realms of the north and was aware of the legend of Isok. His power and reach beyond our plane intriqued me and I soon entered service with him in exchange for greater access to the Negative Plane and powers beyond."

Rickul looks around and notices Nihil's amused smirk, then to the rest of the party for a yay or nay nod as to whether we spare his life for more information or finish him off for the second and last time.
"You should know that if we even get a hint that those in Angor have been warned of our coming, you will not die... for that would be too easy. Instead, we will hunt you down and imprison your soul in the very same gem carried by those that failed to guard you the first time. Now, tell us what Isok has planned and how to get to him. What challenges do we face in Angor and how can we get save passage within?
Potromo "The bridge across Mons Fatem and Mons Angor is guarded by a band of Cloud Giants. They take no quarter and tend to enjoy removing limbs from surly gnolls. At times, some of their number hunt in the Darkwood Glade, the valley to the northeast of Angor. Depending on this folly of theirs, there may be as few as 5 giants or as many as 15 manning the bridge. They are exiled from Terre Aliquam and often seek news of their lost kin. Though I sense you know not what I speak. Be that as it may, these giants make fun of the castaway Fomorians to which I am sure you dispatched...those do love elven flesh however."

"If you make it across the bridge, you will soon approach the Carn. Beware the Soul Sarzens who patrol the perimeter. There was once 15 of these dreadful creatures, and know there are only 10 of their kind, as many have not returned. The master had invested much in them. However, I have seen them ride in pursuit of prey and leave the Keep unguarded for hours at a time. This may an option."

"The keep itself is ancient and the windows have all been closed in. There is only one way into the castle. Clear the bridge or bypass it...avoid the Sarzens...enter the Iron Gate. Below the falls, underneath this very turris lies an abandoned tunnel. The tunnel leads to an opening between the Mons and a slender stone bridge that crosses the chasm. On the Mons Angor side you will find the tunnel begin again...but I caution you to read the glyphs first above the entrance. I have had no time to research this passage. I've always been granted passage across the Great Bridge."

"The Master calls for me and I respond. I am sure he will call for me soon to attend his needs. If I fail to answer, he will venture from his coffin in form of a flock of bats and enter my room. I know not what he will think when he finds me absent and the rest of the Turris Fatem decimated.

He hesitates: "My life's essence has returned...I feel my strength return. Isok, The Valiant, The 13th Count of Angor, a mighty noble of the Kingdom of Flahrim, a land that bounded the southern coast of the Nyr Dyv." he continues addressing Nihil: "You know this land my dark friend? You know what it is I speak and who it is who dwells here. He vaulted to power and overthrew the King of Flahrim after descending and then returning from a transformation into darkness. He is one of the first of his kind, a vampire lord of legend. His brethren of the north call for his return and the unification of their kingdom of ages lost...The Infernium of Flahrim. Remember his title. It may save your life."

Potromo
Potromo
wizard potromo.jpg (71.32 KiB) Viewed 999 times

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Rhourk »

He hesitates: "My life's essence has returned...I feel my strength return. Isok, The Valiant, The 13th Count of Angor, a mighty noble of the Kingdom of Flahrim, a land that bounded the southern coast of the Nyr Dyv." he continues addressing Nihil: "You know this land my dark friend? You know what it is I speak and who it is who dwells here. He vaulted to power and overthrew the King of Flahrim after descending and then returning from a transformation into darkness. He is one of the first of his kind, a vampire lord of legend. His brethren of the north call for his return and the unification of their kingdom of ages lost...The Infernium of Flahrim. Remember his title. It may save your life."

Upon being addressed by Potrmo, the one called Nihil regards the captive wizard, "Weak minded fool, you would lick at mighty boots indeed. What would one such as he need of you? What do you think your fate would be once your purpose was exhausted? You would court the creeping horrors and death that lay waste to cities and wipe nations from memory."

He turns to Lumiere, "You should have left him dead. If he returns to his master, even in victory his soul is forfeit, and we will just have to deal with his flesh again. I hope he is just telling stories to frighten us, because if Isok the Mighty does return, our only solace will be that eternal night will hide from our sight the rivers of blood that flow through these lands."

Kaleb grabs the rogue by the should and spins him around to face him, "it's just another Vampire, we have dealt with Vampires before".

The one called Nihil jerks free of the Paladin's grasp and brushes his now rumpled cloak, "Isok isn't "A Vampire", he is "The Vampire", serving no master but his own hunger. His Dark powers gained through his own unquenchable lust and desire to kill the living and rule the dead world he will leave in his wake. He is Death and Darkness made flesh. The Land itself dies where he walks. Withered in Darkness that the God's themselves have not pierced. This is not subjugation facing these lands, but obliteration."

Kaleb turns and stomps away alone, deep in troubled thought.

Return to “Black Obsidian: D&D Next”