Barrowmaze (LL/AEC)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Barrowmaze (LL/AEC)

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

I'm testing the waters to see if there is enough interest in a Labyrinth Lord Advanced Edition Companion (LL/AEC) game of Barrowmaze. Players would start as 1st level characters and hirelings would be highly suggested. I would like to see a post daily from each player (weekend excluded) however I know the real life can frequently get in the way so posting should be at least once every other day; once again weekends are excluded as I know I am hardly ever on line once I leave work.

I know people are going to ask about house rules. This would be the first LL game I have run (I have run many other game systems, this isn't my first time running a game), so I only have a few house rules to start.
  1. All characters start with full hit points at 1st level.
  2. 0 hp = unconsciousness. You lose 1 hp/round till -10 and then permanent death. A Heal is needed to bring you above 0 to stop blood loss.
  3. I use the ascending AC system from Swords & Wizardry for combat.
I welcome any other questions and interest.
MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Barrowmaze (LL/AEC)

#2 Post by MrHemlocks »

Sounds like fun...count me in! What is the advanced edition LL? I have the Revised Edition (Fourth Release)
September 2009, but not sure how the advanced differs from mine.
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ybn1197 »

The advanced edition is a separate book from the core Labyrinth Lord. It basically turns Labyrinth Lord into a 1st edition hybrid. It adds Good and Evil to the alignment axis and does away with Race as class. It also adds Gnome, Half-Elf and Half-Orc as races and Assassin, Druid, Monk, Ranger, and Paladin as classes. It also adds more spells and monsters to Labyrinth Lord. I am also allowing the use of the Archer and Bard as presented by Barrel Rider Games for those who have access to them.

The core Labyrinth Lord book is required to use the Advanced Edition but an no-art version is available to download for free.
Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Tomcat42 »

Dayum! A LL mega-dungeon is right up my alley. Unfortunately I'm already in 4 games here. I'll monitor this thread just in case you don't get enough takers on this gem. Good luck!

edit - Fargit! Count me in (can't pass up an opportunity like this one). Just yell if/when this one is ready to get up and gallop.
Last edited by Tomcat42 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."
MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by MrHemlocks »

ybn1197 wrote:The advanced edition is a separate book from the core Labyrinth Lord. It basically turns Labyrinth Lord into a 1st edition hybrid. It adds Good and Evil to the alignment axis and does away with Race as class. It also adds Gnome, Half-Elf and Half-Orc as races and Assassin, Druid, Monk, Ranger, and Paladin as classes. It also adds more spells and monsters to Labyrinth Lord. I am also allowing the use of the Archer and Bard as presented by Barrel Rider Games for those who have access to them.

The core Labyrinth Lord book is required to use the Advanced Edition but an no-art version is available to download for free.
I am going to download the no art advance version. The archer is for levels 20+? Least that is what is mentioned on rpgnow description.
DMStue
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by DMStue »

Yeh I'm definitely up for that! "Drendon Fallowbriar - Halfling Adventurer at your service!"
Drendan Fallowbriar - Halfling Thief in "Valnwall: The Barrowmaze (LL)"
DMStue
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by DMStue »

I'm in, if you'll have me :)
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ybn1197 »

thirdkingdom wrote:I'm up for this. How are we doing character creation?
Die rolls will be done here with the dice roller. Stats are generated by 4d6 (drop lowest) rolled six times and arranged as desired. You may roll another set if your total modifiers are 0 or lower.
Tomcat42 wrote:edit - Fargit! Count me in (can't pass up an opportunity like this one). Just yell if/when this one is ready to get up and gallop.
Will do.
MrHemlocks wrote:I am going to download the no art advance version. The archer is for levels 20+? Least that is what is mentioned on rpgnow description.
That is correct. The archer is a 20 level character sub-class of the fighter. They receive bonuses to attack and damage with ranged weapons. Bonuses apply to short range at first. Short and medium range around 4th. And all around 8th. The amount of bonus increases with each level.
DMStue wrote:I'm in, if you'll have me :)
Welcome aboard. I see that these were your first two posts. Glad to have you.
DMStue
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by DMStue »

ybn1197 wrote: Welcome aboard. I see that these were your first two posts. Glad to have you.
Yep, whilst I am active online I dont currently have any online games underway. When I was pointed to your post by a G+ community I follow, the chance to play Barrowmaze using LL was too much of an opportunity to miss.

I signed up straight away and here we are. :D

Now ..... if I can get my head around the Dice Roller .....

Did this work ?

Stats: STR:13, DEX:15, CON:11, INT:14, WIS:10, CHR:8
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ybn1197 »

It looks right. I can't see the macro you used to roll the dice, but the end result looks right.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

ybn1197 wrote:
It looks right. I can't see the macro you used to roll the dice, but the end result looks right.
If you use the auto generation tool, you can't see the macro. It is built into the program.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by MrHemlocks »

Count me in. Now do you have some sort of character template for us to use? When do you plan on starting. I plan on making a character this weekend...after reading the advanced book.
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by ybn1197 »

MrHemlocks wrote:Count me in. Now do you have some sort of character template for us to use? When do you plan on starting. I plan on making a character this weekend...after reading the advanced book.
Character Template? If you mean character sheet, just use the service provided here at www.unseenservant.com. As for starting, I hope to start by the end of next week. I want to purchase the Illustration Booklet for Barrowmaze before we get started and I don't get paid again until next friday. :oops:
riftstone
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by riftstone »

I would be interested in this.
MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by MrHemlocks »

Next week for starting... great! That will give me plenty of time to read the books and make a character ;)

We will not being doing a campaign? This adventure is just one BIG dungeon crawl? Both options are fine with me :)
Finglas
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Finglas »

I'd like to join, too, if there is still room.

Thanks!
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by ybn1197 »

MrHemlocks wrote:Next week for starting... great! That will give me plenty of time to read the books and make a character ;)

We will not being doing a campaign? This adventure is just one BIG dungeon crawl? Both options are fine with me :)
Between Barrowmaze I and II, there are 375 listed encounters and plenty of oppurtunity for the GM to add their own encounters. So this is just one BIG dungeon crawl which should keep us entertained for quite a long time.
riftstone wrote:I would be interested in this.
Finglas wrote:I'd like to join, too, if there is still room.

Thanks!
Plenty of room I believe. Though I have never run a game on these boards before, my experience with starting a game is that not everyone who expresses interest is able to keep with the game. So I take all who are interested and then start out with all who are able. All I ask is that everyone communicate their character designs so that all the needs are covered.
DMStue
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by DMStue »

ybn1197 wrote:I use the ascending AC system from Swords & Wizardry for combat.
Not having played S&W, how does this work?

For example:- In the descending system I have chainmail, a shield and a -1 bonus to AC, giving me an AC of 3(4 without shield), how does this translate in the ascending system?

Apart from a background and a few minor details, my character is almost built :)

-- Link Removed. --
Last edited by DMStue on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by ToniXX »

DMStue wrote:Apart from a background and a few minor details, my character is almost built :)
Links to your PC on the dice roller won't work. You wouldn't want anyone to edit your PC, would you?
I'd also suggest putting thief skills in the 'Notes' section, and there is an area for equipment too (inventory tab). You put these items in the description area (which is fine) but is intended for a overall description of the PC (how he or she looks, his or her demeanor, etc).

If you want to show a public preview of your PC, use the 'sheet' tag. It will look like this:
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Looking for players or games”