Before the moor...(Pre-First exploration.)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Before the moor...(Pre-First exploration.)

#1 Post by Distorted Humor »

All of you have ended up in Newtown, a small village on the Northern moors. The word had quickly spread, that some lucky man and found a pearl of great value in the barrows north of Newtown. Soon the folks where pouring into the village to make their fortunes. Some of you may be here to defeat evil, many of you are here to make a small fortune in gold and silver. The area is teaming with new arrivals, it seems like anyone with a dirk has made his or her way up to Newtown. The Inn is overflowing with people, the shopkeepers are selling gear, and every day new Wagon merchants are arriving, selling everything from nice woolen clothing, to "magical" charms to ward off the dead.

(This is for finding out rumors, hiring hirelings and retainers, and all the stuff you want to do before you set out onto the Barrows, which is a half day walk from Newtown. you are not the only adventuring party that is seeking fortune in the Barrows. Due to the constraints of Play by post, I recommend that you assume that you have all decided to join up in the tavern.)
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Before the moor...(Pre-First exploration.)

#2 Post by Distorted Humor »

Some Rumors you have heard....

It is said that a twisted, mutated people live in the Barrowmaze.
Tribes of different humanoids make their home in the Barrow Mounds.
A elven maiden was recently freed from the Barrowmaze.
Not only was a Pearl found, but someone found a chalice worth 1000 GP
The dead have been seen walking the Barrowmoor with increasing frequency.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rukellian »

OOC: Is the real deal now, can we start posting what our characters are doing and saying? Or is this still some setup info before the campaign?
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Distorted Humor »

Rukellian wrote:OOC: Is the real deal now, can we start posting what our characters are doing and saying? Or is this still some setup info before the campaign?
since everyone rolled stats, this is the real deal. We will not get going into the actual Barrow moors until later. This gives time for players to finish up equipment lists and the like.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rukellian »

Before heading into the Tavern to meet up with his newly found adventuring party, Rukellian posts two ads for hiring extra hands, one at the Temple (outside the main entrance) and one at the entrance to the Tavern.

To all able-bodied men or women…

I am going out on an adventure with several other people!
I would like to bring with me two extra people under my wing.
One person will be obligated to guard our group’s equipment and mounts, keeping watch at night when needed.
The other person will be at my side at all times, acting as a bodyguard.
I will pay my two people 30 gold up front and allow them any amount they ask for when it comes to end adventure spoils, from my share of course.
My two people will also receive equal treatment when it comes to my healing prowess, no person left behind I say! I will also offer to cover any extra expenses for new equipment that is needed, if I have enough coin left.
If you find these terms acceptable, I can be found at the local Tavern or Temple. I go by the name of Rukellian. I’m a tall, blonde guy who is probably smiling.

Taking a seat at a vacant table in the Tavern, he starts munching on some bread that he purchased.
OOC: I assume its at least 3 copper, so I will deduct it from my sheet.
"Mmmm! This is some delicious bread. Thank you very much!" Rukellian says in a joyous tone, smiling away.
Last edited by Rukellian on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Distorted Humor »

OOC: The going rates for these guys are

Non-combatant humans who serve as torch-bearers, porters, potion-testers, door-spikers, etc. Suggested rate of pay: 5sp/day.
Zero-level human men-at-arms. Suggested rate of pay: 1gp/day.

30 GP will get a LOT of people applying, but I just want to make sure you know the going rate.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rukellian »

OOC: yep, my character, you will come to find out, is very generous with his coin. Negotiations will probably proceed when people actually meet him. He is paying 30 gold up front, so the pay per day will vary.
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Distorted Humor »

Well, News quickly spreads

These individuals come to be hired

Men at arms (Zero level)
Gulson - A former stableboy, Kinda thin, has Leather Armor and a Longsword, Dagger.
Dinto - a halfling with a sling
Hurtag - not strong looking, but comes with Chain mail, shield, Longsword and armor, and 10 torches
Parwood - a former Begger with a hand-ax, leather armor.
Talon - a former Dishwasher with a club and dagger, but looks healthy
Hemna - a Farmers daughter with a dagger, club, chain mail, and shield. has a Mason hammer on her belt.
Larwin - looks like a thug, but has a club and dagger and leather armor, and a roll of torches.

Retainers (1st level)
Bardoon - Someone who is skilled fighter with Longsword and Leather Armor.

Torch-Bearer
Mogullen - former Latrine digger , has a dagger
Mardred - a half blind former mercenary
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rukellian »

Seeing a whole bunch of people forming around this table, Rukellian starts to get excited, realizing that his fliers worked like a charm. Putting his bread down, he scans their faces and gives each person a warm smile. "Hello everyone! My name is Rukellian. Those who have responded to my fliers know the nature of my request, or at least I hope so!" Giving each of them another quick look, he smiles again, squinting his eyes with joy. "Its getting a bit crowded here. Why don't we all go to that side of the room over there, and I can start getting down to the picking process."

Getting up from his seat, Rukellian pockets his bread and then starts to guide the group of people to the wall he mentioned, away from the direct flow of people coming in.

"Now before I make any decisions here, I want to say a few things, if you would listen. I only have so much coin on my person, so like the flier said, I can only hire up to two people. I don't want to come across as being a mean guy, but some of you will have to leave empty handed, that's just how it goes.

"I'm going to be hiring people that I will be trusting my life with, so naturally they will need to have some experience with combat and facing danger head on.

"When I want to show mercy to an enemy, give them a second chance, or anything along those lines, I would like to also see such mercy from my companions, at least with humans. I'm not in the habit of hurting people, nor do I approve of excessive violence.

"Oh and if there is anything that you think I need to know before hiring you to my group, please share. Once I have my two people selected, I will discuss payment and introduce them to my main adventuring group."

Folding his arms casually, Rukellian leans on the wall behind him and eagerly awaits a reply from the group.
NPC_Randy
Scout
Scout

#10 Post by NPC_Randy »

Watching the crowd that gathers around Rukellian, the red-bearded dwarf looks over the motley crew of would-be hirelings with disgust in his eyes. Snarling his lips and growling at the crowd, Gorek is perturbed at the inconvenience of dealing with a crowd.

His voice gruff and harsh, Gorek says to Rukellian, "I'm going to need someone to carry my gear and a torch. You can't hire them all, so let me have one of your throw-aways and I'll give the poor sod a couple of silver coins to be my pack mule. There's no way I'm throwing away my hard-earned gold like you, so don't get their hopes up."

With that Gorek heads back toward the bar for a drink. He doesn't do well in crowds, and all of the traffic in town lately has the dwarf much more grouchy than normal.
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Distorted Humor »

NPC_Randy wrote:Watching the crowd that gathers around Rukellian, the red-bearded dwarf looks over the motley crew of would-be hirelings with disgust in his eyes. Snarling his lips and growling at the crowd, Gorek is perturbed at the inconvenience of dealing with a crowd.

His voice gruff and harsh, Gorek says to Rukellian, "I'm going to need someone to carry my gear and a torch. You can't hire them all, so let me have one of your throw-aways and I'll give the poor sod a couple of silver coins to be my pack mule. There's no way I'm throwing away my hard-earned gold like you, so don't get their hopes up."

With that Gorek heads back toward the bar for a drink. He doesn't do well in crowds, and all of the traffic in town lately has the dwarf much more grouchy than normal.
Mogullen, realizing he not really Rukellian guy, comes over to Gorek "Six silver a day to carry your stuff and hold your torch"
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Distorted Humor »

Rukellian wrote:Seeing a whole bunch of people forming around this table, Rukellian starts to get excited, realizing that his fliers worked like a charm. Putting his bread down, he scans their faces and gives each person a warm smile. "Hello everyone! My name is Rukellian. Those who have responded to my fliers know the nature of my request, or at least I hope so!" Giving each of them another quick look, he smiles again, squinting his eyes with joy. "Its getting a bit crowded here. Why don't we all go to that side of the room over there, and I can start getting down to the picking process."

Getting up from his seat, Rukellian pockets his bread and then starts to guide the group of people to the wall he mentioned, away from the direct flow of people coming in.

"Now before I make any decisions here, I want to say a few things, if you would listen. I only have so much coin on my person, so like the flier said, I can only hire up to two people. I don't want to come across as being a mean guy, but some of you will have to leave empty handed, that's just how it goes.

"I'm going to be hiring people that I will be trusting my life with, so naturally they will need to have some experience with combat and facing danger head on.

"When I want to show mercy to an enemy, give them a second chance, or anything along those lines, I would like to also see such mercy from my companions, at least with humans. I'm not in the habit of hurting people, nor do I approve of excessive violence.

"Oh and if there is anything that you think I need to know before hiring you to my group, please share. Once I have my two people selected, I will discuss payment and introduce them to my main adventuring group."

Folding his arms casually, Rukellian leans on the wall behind him and eagerly awaits a reply from the group.
Bardoon is the best fighter easily among the group, he says "I understand the barrows are full of the dead risen again, I hope you don't mind that i give no mercy to those already dead"

Of the gaggle of the rest, it seems that Hemna, Talon, and Larwin are at least the hardiest of the mostly unskilled fighters. Though you get the sense from Larwin reaction that he might not see eye to eye on your viewpoints.

(Occ: this is not the only pool, more will show up as others advertize.
GronkTheBold
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by GronkTheBold »

(This is under the presumption that the rest of the party are gathered around Behrun at a table) Behrun takes a glance behind him at Rukellian giving a speech to the gathered would-be-followers, and looks to the rest of the group. Quietly, he speaks to them (The Major PCs):"I wonder how many of them have actually seen a friend being cut down in a battle, or have ever adventured outside their village? This will be a hard road for them, but it is the one they have chosen and I cannot sway them from it." After this, Behrun will take note of Gorek approaching the bar and stand up from his seat, "Would anyone like a drink? I'll pay for it, I've still got a few pieces of gold on me and we can call this a toast to the expedition." After receiving answers from the group Behrun will walk up to the counter, "Or a toast to our dooms." he thinks pessimistically for a second.

"Hold on kin brother, I shall pay for your drink." Behrun will pay for the drinks of those who requested it and also Gorek.
That low level hireling who carries the ten foot poles...
ST4TICStriker
Strider
Strider

#14 Post by ST4TICStriker »

"I'll take that offer Mr Dwarf, my throat is rather parched after the march here."
Lorde says raising his hand and ignoring all the riff raff the childish Cleric has gathered.

After he downs his first drink Lorde will order more until he's completly wasted.
"So, will we be leaving today? I'm raring to go myself."

His dog,(Rusky) is resting under the table but doing nothing.
Last edited by ST4TICStriker on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Distorted Humor »

(OOC: It is a fair assumption that the party is around, and I will assume it breakfast, to give the party time to get to the barrows under daylight, I just giving this chance for henchmen hireing and getting intel before you head out. )
NPC_Randy
Scout
Scout

#16 Post by NPC_Randy »

GronkTheBold wrote:"Hold on kin brother, I shall pay for your drink."
"Just because you've got a beard doesn't make you my brother. I'll say this just once because you don't know me. I don't like anyone, and I trust even fewer, dwarf or otherwise. From where I sit, anyone who throws their money around has an ulterior motive, and I'll be damned if I let myself be swindled by some charlatan. So save your money, I can afford my own drinks."

OOC: Please don't take personal offense to anything my character does or says. (I'm fine if your PC takes offense, that's what role-playing is all about.) I am really a nice guy, I'm just paying a jerk. LOL
Distorted Humor wrote:Mogullen, realizing he not really Rukellian guy, comes over to Gorek "Six silver a day to carry your stuff and hold your torch"
"Well, well. What have we here? Someone's obviously sent the thief over to rob me! I'll have you know I am not so easily parted with my coin. If you're serious about finding work, you wouldn't ask for more than four pieces of silver a day for that job."
Last edited by NPC_Randy on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rukellian »

NPC_Randy wrote:Watching the crowd that gathers around Rukellian, the red-bearded dwarf looks over the motley crew of would-be hirelings with disgust in his eyes. Snarling his lips and growling at the crowd, Gorek is perturbed at the inconvenience of dealing with a crowd.

Taking in the dwarf's statement, he nods with understanding, still smiling away unphased.
Distorted Humor wrote:Bardoon is the best fighter easily among the group, he says "I understand the barrows are full of the dead risen again, I hope you don't mind that i give no mercy to those already dead"

Of the gaggle of the rest, it seems that Hemna, Talon, and Larwin are at least the hardiest of the mostly unskilled fighters. Though you get the sense from Larwin reaction that he might not see eye to eye on your viewpoints.
"Bardoon is it? I think you know about the dangers that we will be facing better than the others who arrived, and no the undead do not recieve such mercy from my diety. It is safe to assume that they are evil and will not hesitate to kill us. Consider yourself hired!"

Looking at the others after a moment of silence, Larwin seems to give off a sour face at the mention of 'mercy'. Rukellian makes up his mind then and turns to face Talon and Hemna. "Hemna, Talon, out of everyone else here who came in response to my flier, you two seem to be fine with my terms and look pretty fit. But what I would like to know are your guys' reasons for wanting to join our adventuring group. Is it honestly just for the gold, or is it for the sense of adventure and the excitement of leaving town? Like Bardoon pointed out, we are going to be heading towards a dangerous place, a place where the undead roam freely and people are out there to steal our hard-earned loot/valuables. The last thing I want to do is send someone to their death so carelessly."

After a moments thought, Rukellian also mentions to the two that if I end up picking one over the other, there is still a chance that the... 'grouchy' dwarf over there would be wiling to hire someone to hold his or the group's stuff. Rukellian also motions to the others that he has selected the people he is interested in hiring and asks them to leave and says "Better luck in the future to you all!"
Last edited by Rukellian on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApathyJesus
Squire
Squire

#18 Post by ApathyJesus »

The dark haired elf leaning in the corner snickers quietly, stepping out into the light, surveying the people before him. He speaks, his voice rather soft and melodic, but carrying to each of them.

"It would seem the dwarf and I can agree on something. The title of 'brother', or 'friend' for that matter, are something to be earned - not simply given away for the price of a few drinks. I assume the rest of you are here to do something about the plague of undead that seem to stem from the tombs?"

His green eyes narrow as he surveys the group before him, quietly considering them.

"Or, perhaps, you're simply after the treasure rumored to be stashed away there. Either way, it would seem we're all heading to the same place, and our chances would probably be better if we all worked together, hmm?"
NPC_Randy
Scout
Scout

#19 Post by NPC_Randy »

Gorek grumbles, "There is nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of an elf."
ApathyJesus
Squire
Squire

#20 Post by ApathyJesus »

Zilnias actually smirks for moment as he regards the dwarf.

"You forgot to mention the general dour humorlessness of the dwarves in your list of things that are completely certain in this world."

Return to “Adventures in the Barrowmaze”