hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Into the Hool

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

Greyhawk, 586 CY, Readying 15
Port Torvin, at the mouth of the Javan River; Cool, Windy, and Cloudy

After stocking up on supplies and weapons, and after a very early breakfast, you arrive at the docks just before dawn in search of your ride into the Hool Marshes. You're about to ask where you can find the Red Goose, when it becomes quite obvious. There is a small fishing boat a few yards away flying a tattered white flag upon which is painted a crude depiction of a red goose. There's a fellow standing starboard side, with his back to you, pissing into the river. Another fellow, stands atop a pile of crates on the dock practicing with a sword and dagger. When this fellow sees your group, he squats down and grins. "Here they be, Pete!"
The pissing man adjusts himself and turns around, wiping his hands on his pants. When he sees you, he just laughs.

And then his laughter turns into a scowl. "Yer late! And the tide be comin' in! Climb aboard and stow yer gear! Haul ass! Haul ass! Pip, quit yer grinnin' and help 'em, dammit!"
As he turns away, the "fellow" atop the crates just shrugs. "And that, my friends, is Pan-Fried Pete, at his finest! I'm Pippin. I guess yer ready to breech the Hool, eh?"

Turns out, Pippin is a girl...a tom boy of sorts, and she does jump down and help you aboard, all the while grinning like a cat in a hen house.
As you board, you notice the condition of the Red Goose doesn't match the disheveled appearance of its captain. It is spotless and looks freshly painted and varnished. The only things old and tattered is the flag and the wheel...and of course, Pete.
"Are we ready, Pip? Untie us and let us roll. The tide be right and the wind is comin' off the bay. A perfect mornin' ta be out on the river."

"Aye captain! We are off!" Pippin declares and the Red Goose lurches out into the rain-swollen river. The sail is unfurled and the wind catches it and propels the boat upstream. Pippin adjusts the rigging and looks back at your group. "Like I said, I'm Pippin. Who you folks be?"
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Into the Hool

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan wastes no time boarding and stowing his gear. "Yah can call me Roan, Roan Gravelbeard. So where'd yah get the name fer yer ship captain?" he greets the crew and captain then directs a question to the captain.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Fahima

Fahima boards and finds somewhere to stow her gear, Then she explores the boat, making sure to look for a spot she will have a great view from for their journey.

"I am Fahima, a cartographer. I will be making a map of our journey so if you don't mind telling me the name of any landmarks or villages as we pass it would be appreciated."

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

I am Fisherman Sai. I come from Dyvers to explore your little village. What is the biggest threat on the river we travel? Sandbars or Dragon turtles/ Whatever it is, I'll be ready. Careful with those weapons girl, you will injure yourself or someone.

He carries his pack tot he rear of the boat and finds a spot to sit. Pulls out a fishing arrow and his new bow and watches the water for anything that might fry up nicely.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by gurusql »

Zan

"My name is Zanvalor Wysaven, but please call me Zan"

Zan finds a place to stow his gear especially that extra equipment, but will keep his weapons with him.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Karaunios »

Vilana crosses her arms and watches the ship silently. "A fine ship. Very well taken care off... As much as an inlander like me can say.

I'm Vilana, by the way... Why please to make your acquintance you two... Why Pan-fried, by the way?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Spearmint »

Gordansk

Arrives. He has few personal effects so can probably dump everything on a cabin bunk. there are cabins and bunks?. Wary of going overboard, he will take off his chainmail.

For such an important journey, it seems the Count spares no expenses. He wonders about the lock-box with the lizardman gift in. How do Pan-fried and Pippin react. Are they used to being couriers?

Finding a quiet spot he whittles some wood as the journey gets underway. Caw the black bird perches atop the mast.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

"Nice ship you've got here, Captain." Cassius remarks as he boards. "I'm Cassius. Nice to meet you both. Sorry we caught you with your pants down."

He stashes his gear and looks over the rail at the water. "How deep is the river? And what kind of dangers lurk about? Besides Pip over there." He winks at the first mate in jest.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by hedgeknight »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:39 pm Roan wastes no time boarding and stowing his gear. "Yah can call me Roan, Roan Gravelbeard. So where'd yah get the name fer yer ship captain?" he greets the crew and captain then directs a question to the captain.
"Ha! Well now, Roan Gravelbeard, that's a story, ain't it Pippin? We was running errands fer the Count a few winters back and found ourselves out in the middle of nowhere off a side creek deep in the Hold. We tied her off for the night and went to bed. Woke the next morning and we was froze in with ice! A wind was howling out of the Hellfurnaces that would freeze a feller's balls off if he went to take a shit! Well, not so fer Pip, but me old wrinkled balls hang mighty low, and I twernt taking a chance! Ha! So, we hunkered down, burned every damn thing we had to burn except for the boat, and even considered that when the rum ran out. Then we ran short on food and didn't know where to get any. The ice on the creek was so thick we couldn't fish, and nothing was moving in the wintery gale. Damn, we were in a tight spot! Then...one morning, as I had just got up and was thinking of firing the boat and at least starving to death warm, a red goose was sitting on the rail...just looking at me! Most beautiful thing I ever seen! Figured I was seeing things, ya know, death visions and shit. Well, I walked over to the goose and it just watched me come. The closer I got, the more real it looked. And before ya knowed it, I grabbed the goose and wrung its neck! Pippin scrounged up some sticks and we cooked the goose right there, saved the fat drippings, and ate it for three days...and in three days, the weather broke and a rescue party came for us, walking right up the damn creek! A couple of weeks later, we had chopped the boat loose and sailed her back to the port. She's been the Red Goose ever since. Ha! How's that fer a tale, eh?"
Rex wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:23 pm Fahima
"I am Fahima, a cartographer. I will be making a map of our journey so if you don't mind telling me the name of any landmarks or villages as we pass it would be appreciated."
Pan-Fried Pete gives the Halfling a once-over and says, "Nice ta have ya aboard, short stuff! You don't eat much do ya? Ha!"
Darklin2 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:34 pm Sai
I am Fisherman Sai. I come from Dyvers to explore your little village. What is the biggest threat on the river we travel? Sandbars or Dragon turtles/ Whatever it is, I'll be ready. Careful with those weapons girl, you will injure yourself or someone.
He carries his pack tot he rear of the boat and finds a spot to sit. Pulls out a fishing arrow and his new bow and watches the water for anything that might fry up nicely.
"Ah, Dyvers. Nice port. Once had me a woman up there. She had a nice port too. Ha! Docked there many a night. Ah, yer gonna fish us up some dinner, eh? Well, there are sturgeon in this river longer than the Goose, so best not spear one of them monsters, eh? Ye'll wind up in the river and in sommat's belly!"
gurusql wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:16 pm Zan
"My name is Zanvalor Wysaven, but please call me Zan"
"That I will, cause I sure as hell can't pronounce whatever ye just said. Zanfeller Whatchasaving, eh? Zan will work."
Karaunios wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:20 pm Vilana crosses her arms and watches the ship silently. "A fine ship. Very well taken care off... As much as an inlander like me can say. I'm Vilana, by the way... Why please to make your acquintance you two... Why Pan-fried, by the way?"
The captain gives Vilana a longer once-over and then looks at Sai. "No offense mind ya, but I ain't seen this many Elfs in ages. What brings all of ya down this way?"
But it is Pippin who speaks to Vilana directly. "I'll answer your question, lady Elf. Pete don't eat much what ain't fried in a pan. He likes his food floating in lard and keeps a jar or two of it on hand, along with several cast iron skillets."
"Pip's right! I like me food to go down greasy and come out easy. Ha!!"
Monsieur Rose wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:32 pm Cassius

"Nice ship you've got here, Captain." Cassius remarks as he boards. "I'm Cassius. Nice to meet you both. Sorry we caught you with your pants down."
He stashes his gear and looks over the rail at the water. "How deep is the river? And what kind of dangers lurk about? Besides Pip over there." He winks at the first mate in jest.
"Heh, ain't the first time I've been caught with me britches down! Likely won't be the last either. Near the port, the river is a good 15 to 20 feet deep, seeing has how it's been dredged to allow some bigger boats to dock a ways in. Normally, I'd say it runs 8 to 12 feet or so; perfect fer fishing and swimming. Dangers in the river? Well me lad, yer headed into the Hool. Yer about ta find out. But nothing to worry about today. The only bunk is me own and the hold is off limits. Pip has a pallet on the boat and the rest of ye should be able to find a spot to suit ye."

The Red Goose sails for the day, wind and rain coming and going throughout. Sai manages to shoot two nice sturgeons and when the boat stops for the night, Pippin helps him fillet them and Pete fries them up. He throws in a few taters and onions and to be honest, they don't taste half bad. Of course, you can choose to eat from your rations if you like.
The morning breaks a little chilly with the wind, but somewhat clear. Almost as soon as you launch back into the river, Pete's demeanor takes on a more alert, somewhat nervous turn. "We need to keep our eyes peeled and weapons near, lads and lasses. We ain't too far from the creek entrance to Waycombe, where ye'll want to head first in search of ol' Sakatha's lair."
Attachments
Waycombe Screenshot.png
Waycombe Screenshot.png (669.25 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Fahima

Chuckling, "I eat more then you would think, but less than a bigun like you."

She will work on her map as they travel and keep her armor on and weapons near just in case.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan chuckles at the tale "Well captain. That be quite a tale. A goose is a crazy sign but it worked in yer favor. Damn lucky yah didna have ta each someone ta survive. Heard me some strange tales, sarvin and bein cold does some strange stuff ta folk." having heard how pan-fried got the nickname the dwarf chuckles 'I kinda figured the origin be somethin ta do with pan fryin food." then chuckling about Fahima being asked how much she eats the dwarf boasts "I bet yah can eat like a dwarf but I'll admit I be drinkin more n I eat most days."

The surly dwarf veteran to hostile terran keeps a weapon in hand as they move along to Waycombe.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by gurusql »

Zan

Zan will keep his sling out as the boat travels down the river and take part in the sturgeon party.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

Gordansk

Spends most of the journey in quiet contemplation, watching the group and sailors bond.

He is surprised at the restraint shown by the group that none have unlocked the gift box to see what we are taking to the lizardman chieftain. He takes a moment to sprinkle some holy water and wipes the lock with a chicken's foot. He babbles in some unknown glossolalia and studies the box a few moments before returning to his chosen perch in the Red Goose.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Karaunios »

Vilana chuckles at their comments. "Well, if that's any comfort for you, I haven't seen so many elves together in a while either!" She listens to the story of Pete's nickname. "Well, good to get something nutritious when you're constantly working and moving from one place to another." She says matter-of-factly.

She will remain most of the rest of the voyage silent and enjoying the landscape.

When the captain warns them to be careful, she grips her bow ready, and just stays alert.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

The Archer looks at the sturgeons and decides to dip into his land rations. "No offense, Sai, just never really developed a taste for fish."
He chuckles at the elf fest and Vilana. "We do pop up in the strangest places, don't we?"

Cassius pulls his bow and scans the shore. "Any hint on what we're looking for? Or do I just shoot anything that moves?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by hedgeknight »

Captain Pete nods at Roan as his trained eyes scan the river and the riverbanks. "Well, we gots plenty o' rum and at least one keg o' beer. I likes a stout with me breakfast now and again."
He smacks his lips and Roan wonders if the captain may not be wishing for a pint right now.
Spearmint wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:54 am Gordansk is surprised at the restraint shown by the group that none have unlocked the gift box to see what we are taking to the lizardman chieftain. He takes a moment to sprinkle some holy water and wipes the lock with a chicken's foot. He babbles in some unknown glossolalia and studies the box a few moments before returning to his chosen perch in the Red Goose.
"Whatcha doin'?" asks Pippin, who seems to appear out of nowhere...which is hard to do on a boat! "Tell me sommat, can ye remove curses or bad luck? Just askin'...fer a friend, ya know."

While Zan keeps his sling ready, Vilana silently enjoys the landscape with bow in hand, and alert. Cassius also pulls his bow and scans the shore. "Any hint on what we're looking for? Or do I just shoot anything that moves?"
"Careful now, lad. They may just shoot back!" Pete says with a sideways glance at the archer. "The fanatics of the Hopping Prophet be near. They mostly stick to the starboard bank and west of the creek we be coming upon directly. But...ye never know. They be bat-shit crazy and unpredictable ta boot!"

The Red Goose sails on and as the evening approaches, it arrives at the mouth of a wide creek that branches off north into the swamp. Pete drops sail and glides near the riverbank where two stout poles are placed. Pippin expertly lassos one and pulls the boat alongside, looping thick rope over the other post to hold the boat in place. Pete stands for several moments looking up the mouth of the creek and to the bank on the west side. He continues to scan the west bank as he speaks. "Past the hitching posts there be a trail what leads to Waycombe. Me advice would be ta wait until morning afore taking off. It's a good 10 miles through the swamp. I'd take ye up the creek but me boat would bottom out long afore we got there. No need ta worry about lights tonight, eh? Those who be watchin' already know we're here. Anybody hungry? I could eat a frozen dog."
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Fahima

"Are you spending the night Captain or turning back as soon as we are unloaded?"

Fahima gathers her stuff up and gets ready to depart.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by gurusql »

Gordansk just wondering how you stole the box from my backpack that I am still wearing.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Karaunios »

Vilana rubs her chin. "That's a good question, Fahima..." She turns to the captain. "You see, we appreciate that you're taking us so deep into the swamp, I'm sure the count appreciates it too, and will do so even more if you wait for us. We have to do another errant for him after being here and I'm sure he wants us to be out of here."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Spearmint »

Gordansk just wondering how you stole the box from my backpack that I am still wearing.
"He turns and picks up a large wooden box from a table behind his chair. The box is bound with thick metal edges and has a heavy lock. The box is easily two feet high and two feet wide.
That thing is greater in volume and encumbrance than a typical bass kick drum. That is not fitting in your day sack alongside sandwiches and prayer book.

"Tell me sommat, can ye remove curses or bad luck? Just askin'...fer a friend, ya know."

Gordansk listens. "Your friend perhaps needs to repent or offer ablutions to cover his sins. Curses do not alight without a cause, especially for those whose hands wander to take what isn't theirs. Divine favour can be earned though the Gods will not be held as debtors to no man.

We are nearing the sphere influenced by 'the Hopping Prophet'. Are there offerings you can make to appease him or do we ignore his fundamentalist ravings and risk his wrath?"

Return to “Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2e)”