Train Arrives

Hiro asks for help

Crew arrives at relaxation room

Marco arrives

Dev and Monte drink scotch

Devs Lawyer talks strategy with crew.

Octavia talks to Gunnar

Hiro finishes transfer

Gunnar is given the rest of the day and the next day off and told to disappear till then.
I forgot to post that as the last entry of 'Train to the Stars'

Octavia talks to Marco

Hiro is clothed

Marco released to a suite

Hiro meets crew

Octavia talks to Lawyer and thinks

Octavia changes

Dinner is called.
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Laws are Like Sausages

#2 Post by ateno »

The crew of the Train hears a knock on the door and a young man and a guard is there.

"I am to lead you to dinner, please come along."

The man leads and the guard takes the rear and you are brought to the same hall, only with a bigger table with setting for 9, with placecards.

Octavia at head of the table, a T. Reftray to the right, Mr. Rutta to the Left, Mr. Algos to Reftray's right and a M. Hulsebosch. to Ruttas left.

Hiro and Dev are across from each other, Dev next to Algos, Hiro next to M. Hulsbosch with Scott and Garrett at the end.

Algos the Lawyer: "I recognize Tyner Redtray, longtime lawyer for Octavia, I don't recognize the other two seats,

There is cheese and handbread on the table.

Everyone takes their seats. Just then A short stubby man and a tall athletic man arrive in the business suits. The short man (in the better suit) looks at the table and goes to Algos and shakes his hand, You look like a lawyer, Brip Rutta, lawyer for Mr. Hulsebosch. And you must be the crew of the 'Train to the Stars.'

Introductions all around, you have some time before Octavia shows in case you want to chat.
Last edited by ateno on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Stirling »

Marco Hulsebosch

Is not a man of formalities. It is not that he is impolite or lacking in social graces. He is just quite straightforward; saying what he thinks, meaning what he says and to his best abilities, doing what he says he will do.

"Gentlemen, ladies." he greets people with a nod of his head as they take their places.

"Is that the Train to the Stars on the berth outside? She looks a fine ship. I had different visions on what a 'circus train' might look like. My grandfather trained with the performers and flew during the troupe engagements though I have never seen it myself."

He takes a wedge of cheese on some biscuit bread, idly wiping crumbs away with his napkin.
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by bsongy »

Dev said:
When Hiro does appear, wearing his dapper green shirt, she appraises him. He's not peacocking, she decides. But he does like good clothing.

Hiro makes eye contact with Dev, catching her looking at him, and smiles.

The man leads and the guard takes the rear and you are brought to the same hall, only with a bigger table with setting for 9, with placecards.

Hiro offers Dev his arm, on the short walk to the dinning room.

Octavia at head of the table, a T. Reftray to the right, Mr. Rutta to the Left, Mr. Algos to Reftray's right and a M. Hulsebosch. to Ruttas left.Hiro and Dev are across from each other, Dev next to Algos, Hiro next to M. Hulsbosch with Scott and Garrett at the end.

Still standing, Hiro turns towards his other guests. With a short bow, he explains "Hiro Watanabe. Current owner of the yacht." refusing to use the ridiculous name his uncle christened the craft with. He passes name cards, plain black text on thick cream cardstock, to each of persons.

After introductions, Hiro then makes a point to walk all the way around the table, pulls out Dev's chair. Once she is seated, Hiro walks back around the table to his own chair.

He pulls his chair out askance and sits, making sure his chair is far enough from the table for his sword to clear the table if drawn, and he is facing Octavia, with M. Hulsbosch a bit forward, so he is not blocking any gunfire directed towards Octavia.

When the new gentlemen enter, Hiro again introduces himself and hands out name cards, then retakes his seat.

"Gentlemen, ladies." he greets people with a nod of his head as they take their places."Is that the Train to the Stars on the berth outside? She looks a fine ship. I had different visions on what a 'circus train' might look like. My grandfather trained with the performers and flew during the troupe engagements though I have never seen it myself."

Hiro is surprised by Marco, surprised to encounter someone who actually knows something about the Train to the Stars. Hiro catches Dev's eyes and gives her a look. He thinks "How does this guy impact Dev & mine claims on the Train to the Stars?"

Hiro looks around, searching for Gunnar, surprised that he is not here yet.

Waiting for Octavia, Hiro sits quietly, refraining from eating, listening and conversing with anyone interested in chatting.
KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#5 Post by KoboldStew »

This is the sort of encounter Dev lives for. It's a social, wityh a bunch of people who don't know her but have likely made judgments beforehand.

"Gentlemen, how are you all?" she asks as she throws her arms in the air, performing introductions elaborately and ensuring every one receives a compliment in the process -- hair style, shoes, career choice; whatever she feels they will be most vain about, where they've made a choice that deserves someone's recognition. She is laughing and bubbly, and full of questions for everyone.

She makes eye contact with Hiro, whom she sees working the room in his own way. They nod at each other.

Within ten minutes or so, she has got a drink for "Tyler" (as she is already calling Octavia's lawyer) and is asking him about his work. She wants to get a sense of who he is, his attachment to Octavia, and persuade him to let slip any details that might prove useful. She is perfectly discreet in doing so: asking him about his big legal successes with other clients, to get a sense of his tactics and what he values in a negotiation; also whether he is paid enough. Basically, get him talking and hopefully catch him off guard.
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ateno »

As Monte approached, he took in the decor of the place appreciatively. He looked down at his Khaki's and Rust colored button down shirt,
and thought *I hope I'm not underdressed.* He thought back to when he'd handed Dev her drink, and met her eyes. He'd blushed slightly.
*My, but that lady was a looker for sure. Surely out of my league though.*

Continuing in, he spied the others and moved to join them. Good Evening All. I'm Monte Scott.

Moved post for silverknight who posted from a mobile.
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by ateno »

So it seems that Marco has a ancient claim on the Train of some sort, and he brought a Lawyer from Tilgang.
Hiro and Dev are doing some sort of horse trading with Octavia for the ship, and they have a crew with them.

Tyner arrive a short few minutes after the 6 of you talk among yourselves a bit.

He introduces himself: "I am Mr. Redtray, Lawyer for Mr. Blue, who should be here soon, he has a matter to clear up first.

Then he is set on savagely by Dev and works him over like a boxer having fun.

As GM I would like you to, when you use a skill like that, to go ahead and roll. If you have a question, pm me before, In the meantime I will roll for Dev.

[2d6+5]=8+5=13 4 for skill, 1 for Int

A result of 2 (in this case): Tyner mentions that Octavia is looking at tying this deal up tonight no matter how long it takes and that he is willing to take my (Tyners) recommendation on the matter to make it happen.

He than breaks away and asks the other two lawyers to meet him at the end of the hall for a short conference.

After it breaks up the two lawyers meet with their clients.

To Marco: "With that earlier gaff, it should give us the deciding vote on how fast, are you more interested in cash or keeping you share and using that as a prybar to help your child?

To the Crew: "How much of your previous monies you have spent are you interested in recovering? If you push it, Octavia could push for a share of the monies you made as traders against that. What's your interest in the one share guy, assuming he can prove it? Do you want Octavia to have to deal with him and buy him out, which then the trade might be off for now, as that's alot of money. Tyner showed us paperwork that the ship is worth >94 Mcredits given its age, so if Marco wants a payout, that just short of a third of a megacredit.

You have a short time to converse and ask questions before Octavia arrives.

Gunnar is no where to be seen.
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by bsongy »

To the Crew: "How much of your previous monies you have spent are you interested in recovering? If you push it, Octavia could push for a share of the monies you made as traders against that. What's your interest in the one share guy, assuming he can prove it? Do you want Octavia to have to deal with him and buy him out, which then the trade might be off for now, as that's a lot of money. Tyner showed us paperwork that the ship is worth >94 Mcredits given its age, so if Marco wants a payout, that just short of a third of a megacredit.

HIro makes a point to yawn, thinking "Much ado about nothing."

To Dev, "How much did we profit on our trade?" Hiro listens carefully to the answer, and ponders.

Hiro looks over Marco carefully. His mode of dress. How he carries himself. Whether he eats and drinks with his left or right hand.

Since everyone else seems to be ignoring decorum and having secret conversations, Hiro excuses himself with a curt bow, and heads out to the hallway to have his own secret conversation. Since Hiro made a point to not retrieve the communicator when Gunnar departed, he transmits "Gunnar. Hiro. You okay? If you can't talk but need assistance, say 'pineapple' " Hiro waits for a response.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Stirling »

Marco Hulsebosch
To Marco: "With that earlier gaff, it should give us the deciding vote on how fast, are you more interested in cash or keeping you share and using that as a prybar to help your child?
"Well my child is quite an independent teenager well capable of helping herself. Currently putting herself through the first two years of Naval college. Not sure yet if she has a thing for space craft or uniforms. Perhaps she will do well to get a commission. Wouldn't that be fine thing.

Are you a navy man Mr Watanabe. What do they call the junior NCO's?"

He dismisses the testing of the waters to see if he will relinquish his share, however small that might appear, for a cash settlement. He tries to engage those considered as crew and what particularly strategy for using the vessel may be preferred.
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by bsongy »

Hiro returns to the main dining room, rejoining the conversation, but continues to monitor for communications from Gunnar with his comms earpiece.

Marco said:
"Well my child is quite an independent teenager well capable of helping herself. Currently putting herself through the first two years of Naval college. Not sure yet if she has a thing for space craft or uniforms. Perhaps she will do well to get a commission. Wouldn't that be fine thing.[/occ]

Hiro nods in polite agreement. "Yes, it would be a fine thing."

Marco continued:
Are you a navy man Mr Watanabe. What do they call the junior NCO's?"

Hiro chuckles. "No, I have no naval experience; I always am confused by the ranks." Hiro pauses, then continues "While I was blessed with a not un-priviledge upbringing, necessity has lead me to spend most of my adult life Captaining my own star-ship. What line of work are you in?"

Marco said:
He tries to engage those considered as crew and what particularly strategy for using the vessel may be preferred.

"It is a large vessel, very capable, but the cargo hold is proportionally small in comparison to most Traders, Free or Subsidized. In order to generate a profit over expenses, the best use may be high value cargo or, perhaps, high risk ventures." Hiro offers.

While talking with Marcos, Hiro maneuvers the both of them towards Dev, so she can overhear the conversation, in case she would like to join in. And when there is a break in her current conversation with the lawyers, Hiro says to Dev "By the way, we had another job applicant. The stevedore made inquiries. It seems everyone is trying to escape Octavia.", raising an eyebrow.

Silently, Hiro is concerned that Gunnar has not responded by comms yet.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Stirling »

"necessity has lead me to spend most of my adult life Captaining my own star-ship. What line of work are you in?"
Marco Hulsebosch

"Necessity, the mother of inventions and creative ideas and the child of crisis. It takes a certain skill to navigate precipitous waters continually. My commendations Captain.

May I assume that would be your role on the Train to the Stars?
, he raises his glass in salute to the man.

"For myself I spent a whole career as an enlisted man. Earning a few stripes and not a few scars to go along with them. Spent some time down in Old Carthage, supposedly peace-keeping missions in the demilitarised zone. Building bridges between the partisans and the defacto government.

Protecting civilians they said. But artillery is never an exact art. Collateral damage comes with 'the fog of war'. Conflicts are always easy to resolve though if both parties think they are justifiably right. Still I wasn't there to change regimes or policies but to enforce the peace and protect trade, down the barrel of a plasma rifle turret if neccessary."

It is a large vessel, very capable, but the cargo hold is proportionally small in comparison to most Traders, Free or Subsidized. In order to generate a profit over expenses, the best use may be high value cargo or, perhaps, high risk ventures.
"'Boom and Bust'. Goes with the army and most trading enterprises these days. After being pensioned out I spent the last years engineering Jump drives on a derelict cargo. Traded well with speculative enterprises until government edicts and taxation statutes forced many independents to mortgage their crafts to big fleet corporations or go black market smuggling.

My grandfather wrestled with bears and wrangled leviathans. Entertaining the masses with a circus and trophy hunting the big game. It seems I have inherited his mantel."
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by bsongy »

Marco said:
..... My commendations Captain. May I assume that would be your role on the Train to the Stars?, he raises his glass in salute to the man.

"Thank you, but concerning the ship, I think it is too early to say. Roles are still being established." replies Hiro.
"For now, as soon as transfer of title is complete, I will be partner in ownership with Ms. Devereaux" he continues, gesturing towrads Dev.

Marco explains his military career as an enlisted artillerest, working with partisans, then as a jump drive engineer.

"Fascinating stuff, Marco." says Hiro sincerely.

When Marco mentions:
... or go black market smuggling

Hiro smiles knowingly, but says nothing.

Marco said:
My grandfather wrestled with bears and wrangled leviathans. Entertaining the masses with a circus and trophy hunting the big game. It seems I have inherited his mantel."

"You really should see the low berth onboard the Train to the Stars."
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by cybersavant »

bsongy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:52 pm
Since everyone else seems to be ignoring decorum and having secret conversations, Hiro excuses himself with a curt bow, and heads out to the hallway to have his own secret conversation. Since Hiro made a point to not retrieve the communicator when Gunnar departed, he transmits "Gunnar. Hiro. You okay? If you can't talk but need assistance, say 'pineapple' " Hiro waits for a response.
Gunnar Thunarssen I'm ok. I have some 'time off'. Just trying to figure out how to smuggle my stuff out, so i can join the crew."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#14 Post by KoboldStew »

Dev can hear Marco talking about his past, but she's not listening in detail. Her attention is elsewhere. She thinks back to her conversation with Hiro, earlier, where she had told him the figure of profits. ("12k or so," she says. "Good for a day, but not the way one would want to make a living, especially given th, um territoriality we experienced. If not with them, there is nevertheless bound to be more.") She has let her mind wander.

The lawyer had slipped, and she wanted to take advantage. She pulls her lawyer aside, with Hiro if convenient, and passes the information along: "Octavia wants this closed, and will trust his lawyer to see it done. There's out advantage, if we want it. I'm not concerned about a thee-hundredth share, but we could probably get Octavia to buy him out if we pressed. But we should be able to ensure there are no other interests. We want to be free of Octavia and any residual obligations."
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by bsongy »

Out in the hallway...

Gunnar said:
Gunnar Thunarssen I'm ok. I have some 'time off'. Just trying to figure out how to smuggle my stuff out, so i can join the crew."

Even over the comm, Hiro is audibly relieved. "You know the access code for the Train to the Stars.You may just be able to sneak on. If you can't get onboard it, let me know and get onboard my former Yacht. There is an empty 0.5 dT container in the Yacht's cargo hold; we can bring you to the Train to the Stars in it, under the disguise of the last of my personal effects. If using the cargo container is unworkable, let us know and we will work out a plan." Hiro transmits the Yacht's access code to Gunnar.

"Also, just for your information, one of the stevedores is looking for a ride off world. He may be willing to setup a distraction or help in other ways, in exchange for a ride for himself. " Hiro describes the stevedore to Gunnar.

Later in the dining room....

Dev said:
The lawyer had slipped, and she wanted to take advantage. She pulls her lawyer aside, with Hiro if convenient

As she is looking around for Hiro, he steps up from behind, and gives Dev a mischievous smile.

He listens carefully as Dev speaks:
"Octavia wants this closed, and will trust his lawyer to see it done. There's out advantage, if we want it. I'm not concerned about a thee-hundredth share, but we could probably get Octavia to buy him out if we pressed. But we should be able to ensure there are no other interests. We want to be free of Octavia and any residual obligations."

Hiro responds "I agree that being free of continuing obligations is primary here. And with Octavia's desire to close quickly, I think we are in a good position to insist upon it. I will add that I feel the matter of 12KCr and the 1/3% share are trivial in comparison to the issue about free title and no other obligations; even if we need to make a cash payment or take on another crew to clear the matters."

Then Hiro leans in, speaking into Dev's ear, whispering so only she can hear: "By the way, I have been in touch with Gunnar. All is well and we are making arrangements to meet at the ship."
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by cybersavant »

bsongy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:10 pm Even over the comm, Hiro is audibly relieved. "You know the access code for the Train to the Stars.You may just be able to sneak on. If you can't get onboard it, let me know and get onboard my former Yacht. There is an empty 0.5 dT container in the Yacht's cargo hold; we can bring you to the Train to the Stars in it, under the disguise of the last of my personal effects. If using the cargo container is unworkable, let us know and we will work out a plan." Hiro transmits the Yacht's access code to Gunnar.

"Also, just for your information, one of the stevedores is looking for a ride off world. He may be willing to setup a distraction or help in other ways, in exchange for a ride for himself. " Hiro describes the stevedore to Gunnar.
Gunnar Thunarssen "I'm not worried about getting out. It's getting out with my gun and belongings that's the hard part."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by ateno »

Mr. Algos responds. Got it, make the final cut, you will pay a bit, you will accept Marco if it comes to that."

Octavia strides in with three guards ( none of them Gunnar) stops and looks at everyone.

"So we have a story and a interesting twist. Thank you for waiting, shall we start with soup. Lets all sit. Would one of you two like to start?
He looks at Hiro and Dev.
KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#18 Post by KoboldStew »

"We have retrieved your ship for you, Mr. Blue. It seems to have been through a lot, including its previous crew who left it unsafe for travel or for occupation. We have, nevertheless, brought it here for you. As I understand it, and if the preliminary conversations with Tyler here are correct" (she uses his first name, and says it warmly), "with what you own me (a yacht, very much like the one you will be left with once you have concluded business with Captain Watanabe here) and what you owe Mr. Watanabe, you happen to be short one ship. You are hoping to convince us to take joint ownership of the Train to the Stars in fulfillment of both of these obligations. Is that right?"

She pauses, and accepts whatever corrections to this account may be coming. She expects them to be huffy, if there are any, and will greet them with a smile. "It is as you say," she will accept. "Nonetheless, Captain Watanabe and I are willing to accept this exchange, accepting the state of the ship as a given." She tastes her soup, savouring it. "Mr. Algos has kindly pointed out a few remaining matters that need conclusion such as the size of the operating fund and confirmation of clear title, but we are sure that he and Tyler are clever enough to work it out between themselves on our behalf. This soup is delightful -- is it [[cumin]]? Fortunately we have plenty of time to conclude this matter, as we expect to be remaining on planet holidaying for the next several weeks, during which time any disagreements can be worked out. I am sure by the end of that time we can find a way to help you out with the Train to the Stars."
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by ateno »

Tyner: "In general you are correct, but there is a claim on the ship thru a historical deed. That needs to be proven."

Octavia breaks in: "Who has the tablet I gave you, that should have what I need?"

Garrett: "I do, hold on let me boot it."

Octavia to one of his guards: Tell IT to give us a one time to access the exterior and boot up the screen."

Octavia takes the tablet, hits a few buttons, accessing something your quick bits of that you see cant recognize.

A static hum is heard and Octavia puts in a ear piece and hits more buttons.

A screen appears at the end of the table.

Octavia to Marco: "What was the log entry son?"

Assuming Marco recites it, LOG# 128483023894

A log entry from the 'Train to the Stars' comes up on the screen.

A middle aged face appears, tired but otherwise alert. "Hello, this is to confirm that I, Captain and Owner of the 'Train to the Stars', He gives his name, bad GM does not have it on hand, do transformer 1/300 of transferable share of my ship to Estaban Hulsebosch At that point a younger version of Marco shows up maybe 30 some, MAaco you have never seen him this young. Owner continues as full payment for gambling debts and various other debits I have built up with Mr. Hulseboch. There is a bit of shiftiness in both faces at this. Also on the condition the share is fully transferable only after we both have passed.

Estaban Hulsebosch with a rich a accent of some sort, which again is new "I accept this payment and call our financial obligations between each other as zero."

Ship owner on log:
"Ok with the paper thats legal, lets have a drink.

The two move away from the camera and a final shot is of the bamboo box that MArco recognizes holding cards and ships.
Last edited by ateno on Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by bsongy »

Earlier, out in the hallway...

Gunnar said:
Gunnar Thunarssen "I'm not worried about getting out. It's getting out with my gun and belongings that's the hard part."

Hiro responds "I understand. Let us know if you need any help with that."

Later, in the dining room...

Octavia said:
"So we have a story and a interesting twist. Thank you for waiting, shall we start with soup. Lets all sit. Would one of you two like to start?" He looks at Hiro and Dev.

Hiro looks at Dev, and is relieved when she takes the lead in the discussion.

The owner said:
Owner: "Ok with the paper thats legal, lets have a drink.

Hiro does not move to start social drinking.

Hiro reacts negatively to Octavia's pronouncement, not quite sure what the "that" in "...that's legal..." refers to, it seems some kind of deal involving The Train to the Star's ownership, the 1/3% share owned by Marco, and a gambling debt owed to Octavia, but no reference to Hiro's Yacht, the deal agereed with Dev, Hiro & Dev's claim to The Train to the Stars, or the work done to reclaim the ship by us, including Garrett and Gunnar.

"Perhaps we should just put the Train to the Stars back where we found it and in the same hazardous condition as before" thinks Hiro.

Though angry and annoyed, Hiro tempers any outward display, and instead quietly inquires to the lawyer Dev retained about what he intends to do about the current situation.

Return to “Koninkrijk - Adventures in a Pocket Empire (Mongoose Traveller)”