Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Return to the Barrow Mounds:

#1 Post by Spearmint »

May 3rd 1066.

Helix Village, Duchy of Aerik.

7.00am.
Cloudy, light breeze. Forecast light rain.
Effects: none.

After a hearty breakfast of grilled sausage, fried green tomatoes and scrambled duck eggs alongside freshly buttered thick toasty breads, a better meal than the usual oat porridge, several adventurers gather in the village square.

Newcomers to the village leaning on the expertise of seasoned adventurers and the mercenary clerics looking for redemption or the honour of restoring monuments. An eclectic group.

Sven has spent the last few days either side of the Mayday festival to research his spell craft and negotiate the distribution of the trove recovered from his previous expedition. The young mage sports a refurbished set of chainmail and wears a silver torc around his neck, the two carved primate hands open in an expression of hope of reward. His blessed vials of holy water, fresh from the font of St Ygg's are tucked away in a cushioned pouch.

By his side Orgoth carries a weapons loadout enhanced by a spear sheathed in a new leather blade cover, engraved with his own motifs. On his back he carries a heavy amphora, recently re-plastered with a new overcoat of clay. The contents are several doses of a thick pungent healing mud which promises to restore healing and regeneration to wounds, poisons and disease. Trading off the valuable resource being taken in exchange for a full share of treasure coming back to be split between the five squires.

Halfling Isvand and Steban, two adventuring warriors rather than swords-for-hire beef out the martial potential of the group.

Brother Fabian and Amos, clerics from the guild arrive as promised. Completing the group is an unlikely tomb raider, a middle aged peasant dressed woman whose waist belt is adorned with a number of pouches and several meat cleavers, bone saws and long bladed carving knives. Her pack mule has saddle bags burgeoning with camp equipment, cushioned not to rattle with straw or blanket fillings. A pannier of chests rather than a saddle rests across the beast of burdens back. They contain the group's expedition kit of sledgehammer, heavy pick, shovel, a score of torches, silk rope and hook grapnel, rations for two days, iron wedging spikes and half a dozen empty hessian sacks. You hope they become swag bags not body bags.

They set off excitedly. The plan is to trek in their previous footsteps and go east from the village, following the trail to Ironguard the once past the village fringe, cut southwest across the Barrowmoor. Finding the Standing Stone Camp would at least put them on the right course.

the southern line on the hex with the village demarcates the moor from Helix and the line is a two and half mile long series of deep pools, used by the villages for fishing. It provides a natural barrier from most of the creatures of the moor.

The decision to trek southeast not the usual way (southwest 5 miles then south 5 miles) is expected to add another five miles and at least a couple of hours on to their journey. But the hope is that the team will breakthrough the moor into the meadow of mounds, close to their target intended excavation point.

post any actions or questions and then I will update your trek progress.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Return to the Barrow Mounds:

#2 Post by Leitz »

Steban

An early riser by nature, Steban enjoyed the food heartily. He knew the moor would drain them of energy long before the day was done.

"I do not have a missle weapon,"
he said as the group headed out. It did not take him long to return to the military gait; slow enough to allow everyone to keep up, fast enough to cover ground well. "Probably best then if I be in front, just tell me which direction to be going. If anyone does have missiles, keep them handy. If we come on something, I'll try to stay between you and it while you shoot."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"I have a heavy crossbow and 6 javelins. As loaded as I am the crossbow will most likely stay on the mule anyways if you want to borrow it. Maybe Isvand should be in the lead? We could see over him just fine and if he isn't in the front he may have issues seeing over us."

Orgoth will take his place.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

Steban

"Outside, our biggest risk will be numbers. If there are more of them than of us, they will be able to circle around and get to the lady and the mule," Steban said. "If we present a wide front then we may be able to stop that. If there is just one creature to fight then we can circle around it. Inside, however, I think you're right. If it is a narrow passage then you can use the spear over Isand's shoulders. That would be a great way to fight!"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Though Sven has been wearing his ill fitting chain mail around town for the last few days, he returns it to the room before the party leaves town, not interested in the extra encumbrance out on the moors.

He introduces his hirelings to the others, reminding everyone they aren’t working for free. “Okay, gang. I have a couple of things to point out before we leave. The cost for these guys will be coming out of the total spoils we find, and they will get a full share of that, just like the rest of us. Any coin that needs to be spent on identifying magic or anything else will also be coming out of the total we find. This trip has nearly drained my funds completely and I can’t continue financing everything myself.”

“The mule is concern for me. Are we sure we need to have a pack animal along?”
The mage fills the others in about the half eaten jackass they found stuck in the mud last time. He voices his concern about their limited ability to flee a dangerous encounter with an animal in tow, but if nobody else seems as worried about it, he doesn’t press his argument for long.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"I don't think we need a mule. I am fine with the money and also for reimbursing you first for what you spent on group supplies."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

Steban

"I don't know the area nor the terrain," Steban said. He looked at Gerdal. "I would take the advice of those who have been there before, perhaps we don't take the mule this time, and see what the terrain is like? It means we carry less, but it might be safer. At least for the mule."

On the money, he nodded. "If this is a group effort then the group should pay. I don't have much at the moment, but hopefully that will change."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven nods at the affirmations.

"If it isn't completely necessary to have the mule with us, I think we should leave it behind for this trip. Once we are able to find our way through the marshes better, we can decide if we need it on our next trip or not. We can leave the excavation tools behind as well, since we shouldn't need them on this trip either. The torches and provisions we will need though."

If everyone agrees with the temporary downsizing of the group. Sven searches the road for the sign the squires saw last time, indicating where they should cut south and enter the moors.

"We should definitely bring the empty sacks. Hopefully each of us will be carrying one back filled with gold and magic."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"There were places where the ground was very soft, if the mule ends up in one it is going to be near impossible to get it out."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal arrives somewhat late to the scene.

"Good morning everyone. I hope the breakfast was satisfactory?"

Listening to the ongoing conversation

"As for the mule I think we can stable it. Let me just check back with the boy, I'm sure the booth is still available."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Excellent!

Lets all do the DM a favor and check our sheets before we leave to make sure everything is in order. Remember, if an item isn't on your sheet, you don't have it out there.

Looking forward to a fun and successful adventure filled with treasure and only minor amounts of death and dismemberment. :D

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by redwarrior »

Isvand polishes off his third plate of sausage and eggs, and downs it with the last of his ale. Hoping down from the chair, he claps his hands together. He nods as the group discusses the mule, though he's a bit sad, as the mule could haul food and cooking utensils. Shrugging, he turns serious I agree, it would be rather hard for me to use my bow were I behind you ... larger folk. If I might make a suggestion... I'm a bit smaller than most of you I lost track, but think there was another halfling in the inn? and I tend to be a bit quieter. I'd suggest I move a bit in front of the party and off to the left a hair. That way, maybe I will spot things before they spot us. He grabs up his pack and his bow, ready to move out.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Leitz »

Steban

Steban grinned at Isvand. "You are a lot quiter than I."

Steban was in chain mail, with his helm and shield strapped off. His sword was sheathed and he had a mostly empty backpack. "I'm strong, for a soldier, and can carry some weight in my pack. I don't expect to be able to walk fast, though, especially over the long haul. I have few supplies, just a couple of water skins and a tinderbox."
OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:55 pm Lets all do the DM a favor and check our sheets before we leave to make sure everything is in order. Remember, if an item isn't on your sheet, you don't have it out there.

Looking forward to a fun and successful adventure filled with treasure and only minor amounts of death and dismemberment. :D
Also looking forward to the adventure! Steban is a soldier, not yet an adventurer. He's wise in some things and totally not experienced in others. He has a few gold left, though we need to pitch in for food for the trip.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

I think he is set, just the basics, 10 torches, rope, water and food. He will be carrying the Healing mud as well, I wrote it down on his sheet but need the # of doses..

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

These items from the mule will be brought along and spread out to individuals accordingly:
a score of torches, silk rope and hook grapnel, rations for two days, iron wedging spikes, hammer, prybar, and half a dozen empty hessian sacks.

Sven feels much better about easing the load of the group, glad there were no objections.

“When we encounter something out there, and we undoubtedly will, let’s keep our heads together and remember each other’s place as well as our own. Stay together and don’t panic. We will only be able to see so far in the mists, so if we need to reorganize or flee from anything too dangerous, remember to stay close enough to the group so we don’t accidentally lose anyone.”

He looks to the pair of clerics to make sure they understand this as well.
What’s it gonna cost us to have Fabian dump his Remove Fear for a second CLW? :D

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Spearmint »

May 3rd 1066.

Helix Village, Duchy of Aerik.

7.00am.
Cloudy, light breeze. Forecast light rain.
Effects: none.

After some discussions, the party shed the mule and share out some equipment. Despite asking permission of Lord Krothos to go bash down some sealed burial mounds, Sven has another plan in mind. He charts a tough path to the Barrow Mounds with an 'x' marks the spot that hopefully the torch-bearing clerics will lead you to.

Gerdal lightens her pack, still taking some tools of her trade. Across her shoulders a large bug eyed, sleepy reptile rests. The chameleon, grips onto her cloak, blending into the tan colour like a scaly thick collar, it's long tail curled up in a whirl.

Your journey east is accompanied part way by sporadic groups of travellers and merchants heading back to Ironguard. There is whispered talk of bandit gangs active on the trail and the merchant caravans have been reinforced to cope with any threats.

After an hour walking the stony trail, you come to the edge of the militia patrol limits. (the hex of the village) The path leads into deeper denser forest going east towards the citadel. You take a SW direction, walking an hour off piste through the tangle of bracken and shrubs to arrive on the fringe of the moor. A veil of white mist floats over the moor, it never seems to dissipate but swirls in hazy clouds. The rays of sun shining through casting long shadows and refracting in a myriad of ethereal colours. A herd of grazing deer alert to your intrusion spring away, gamboling over the boggy pools and beyond your vision.

Brother Fabian spells as requested takes the lead, "The Standing Stone camp you described. I think it must be about two and a bit miles south."

You 'take ten', then press on into the mist.

I will take an action, comment or question from everyone

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal stays at the end of the procession, but not going last.

She keeps talking to her pet, sometimes in the common tounge, also petting it from time to time.

"....are you a little...*cough*...yes you are. Yes you are!"
Attachments
Istvan.jpg
Istvan.jpg (115.21 KiB) Viewed 697 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven watches the deer for a moment. “That is a good sign. There are pack hunters out here. Wolves, raptors, maybe worse. Those deer should indicate that at least this immediate area will be safe.”

He nods when Brother Fabian takes point, but makes sure he and Orgoth aid the navigation, especially if they recognize any landmarks or signs left behind from their last jaunt. Amos is instructed to speak up if he knows of any better paths as well. “Hopefully, we can make the standing stone camp by mid morning and the mounds by midday. That will leave us plenty of daylight to find the mound we seek.”

“Let’s keep any unnecessary chatter to a minimum as we travel through the mist. With the limited visibility, we will need to be quiet and listen for any dangers that might lurk beyond our sight as we hike.”

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Leitz »

I've looked and looked, but can't find the encumbrance of chain mail. Thoughts? IIUC it's not as encumbering when worn. Well, the armor I used to wear in the SCA was pretty heavy but more air flow restricting than encumbering.

Steban walked and watched; eyes scanning one side of the path and then the other. Isvand had the front, Orgoth behind Steban. The others behind them. Still, it was better to think of just the three in front, and to plan on stopping any threat before it could get to the others. "If we move to charge, Orgoth, I'll go right. If you go left of Isvand we should be able to handle most minor threats. Otherwise, if we need to retreat, it might be best if you headed straight back and led everyone away. What do you think? I'd be the rear guard then."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

30 lbs. (+)

Page 27 in the DMG.

:D

Return to “Completed Expeditions”