[001.5] Rescue One

joertexas
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[001.5] Rescue One

#1 Post by Leitz »

Rock and Zhenya

SA McConnell had run through the plan as the launch accelerated. Everyone pulled their kits open and geared up. One female pulled a half meter square panel from the rear wall of the shuttle and began operating a touch screen. One hundred and fifteen seconds later, she called out "Ma'am, rear grappels on-line".

"Roger that." McConnell nodded, and pressed a space on her hand comp. "Flight?"

"Ma'am, two and a half hours, ninety percent. Nav is still getting the coordinates, and we're going to have to plot the angles and deceleration. We have fuel for three days."

"Roger that; two point five at ninety. Three days. Nav?" McConnell said, as she tapped another box. "Time? Confidence?"

"Ma'am, twenty minutes, and ninety percent. The data we got from the BMM is still linking up. In forty-five minutes we will be at ninety-seven percent confidence."

"Roger that, twenty at ninety, forty-five at ninety-seven. Ideal is that we link up in time to shut down the pod's scanning systems. Chief?"

"Ma'am, supplies for three days, aboard. Link up with the pod increases that to two weeks," the CPO said.

"Roger that, three days, two weeks. Flight, you have the ball. Nav, notify us when estimates change from twenty at ninety."

"Aye, ma'am," The navigator replied.

McConnell picked up a bag and then knelt in front of Zhenya. Her eyes wandered over the armor. "Nice. Any data connections?"

Within ten minutes, Zhenya had a good understanding of the command module and the connection process. She would remain inside until the port grapple was in place, and then the pilot would angle the craft to port while the craft and the pod drifted forward, in unison. Once the pod was within range, Zhenya would exit out the port airlock, shoot a second line from the lock to the pod, and move to connect the command module to the pod's maintenance interface. They could then make a decision on what to do, based on the pod's occupants and their status.

The CPO gave Rock a comforting nod. "We're on our way, sir. We have the right people doing the right things. Once we have the command module in place we can do whatever we need with the pod. If someone is in there, besides your kids, we'll handle them. We'll be cutting it close on the pods scanners, but if needs be we can dock with the pod, bring the kids aboard, and run to the Birach Navy."

A little later, Nav spoke up. "Ma'am, we are at ninety-seven. Flight estimates eighty-five at ninety."

McConnell grinned. "Good work, guys. Acknowledge Ninety-seven percent confidence of locating the pod. Eighty-five minutes travel, with a ninety percent confidence."

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [001.5] Rescue One

#2 Post by The Bindoner »

McConnell picked up a bag and then knelt in front of Zhenya. Her eyes wandered over the armor. "Nice. Any data connections?"
Of course. I will give you a one-time limited access authorisation.

Zhenya reviews the plan and practices her part mentally, studying the details and thinking through what she will need to do.

Waiting for the rendezvous she turns to Rock:

Baron Doktor, I have not had the privilege of meeting your family. What are the names of your children?

You worry there is an abductor with them, tell me, do have a suspect? If this is a crime they must have planned beyond the ejection of the pod. We should assume there will be a ship coming to collect them if this a kidnapping. Knowing who is responsible would be useful in our preparations.

Which reminds me. Zhenya raises her voice and addresses the senior crewman: CPO, may I speak with you?

When she has the chance to talk quietly with him: Tell me, is this boat armed? And your crew, do they have weapons, armour? There may be occasion to fight, if criminals arrive to capture the pod. Can your sensor op look for converging craft without disturbing our own approach?

EDITED with extra dialogue.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rock

The children are Frey and Freya. In the best case, Freya is the instigator of this little expedition. In the worst - sorry I have no idea who may be involved. Fortunately, the most obvious suspects are still aboard ship - I hate to suspect my staff.

CPO - These pinnaces, surely, should have 4 weeks of fuel? I suppose the fresher's water supply can be used in an emergency. I've heard of a trick where the tanks were topped off with filtered urine...feed the wee into the survival kit water purifier and then feed the output into the tanks...I hope it won't come to that.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

While Zhenya and the CPO can't really "be alone", they can lower their voices enough that the others give them a little extra ignoring.

"If it comes to that, we'll have to run for it. But I don't think it will come to that. My bet is that the Birach Navy is close enough to make anyone worry." The CPO nodded, and then added. "Good point though. Once we go to active sensors I'll make sure we're scanning and communicating well."

Tiglath is still writing up the craft, I think, and he knows if there are missiles/lasers attached.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

The CPO grinned at Rock. "Not quite standard, these girls. And most folk don't want to spend a month in one. I'm sure McConnell has something planned, though, if it comes to that."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rock
Sorry to interrupt, but didn't the Navy lady say that that big lump of a battlewagon was reacting to sensors emissions and shooting them?...I hope you can use your sensors carefully!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

The Bindoner wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:24 am
McConnell picked up a bag and then knelt in front of Zhenya. Her eyes wandered over the armor. "Nice. Any data connections?"
Of course. I will give you a one-time limited access authorisation.
There are multiple levels of access, and Zhenya would have no problem giving McConnell just enough access to do what she needs.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Leitz »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:42 pm Rock
Sorry to interrupt, but didn't the Navy lady say that that big lump of a battlewagon was reacting to sensors emissions and shooting them?...I hope you can use your sensors carefully!
McConnell responded. "Of course. We're going to be doing low frequency scans shortly, and the Lady will be on the lookout for any sign that the warship decides to come to us. The advantage of a low freq scan is that it's harder to pinpoint, so if the warship comes this way, we'll already have your children and be out of the way."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rock

Very Good.

Sorry - If I start explaining how to suck eggs please treat me gently. They are my children and, well...

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by joertexas »

The pinnacle continues on its path to intercept the life pod.

Updated Map
Birach Situation.jpg
Birach Situation.jpg (173.42 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by joertexas »

The CPO rises from his seat and steps up to Zhenya. "Ma'am, the ship is calling. His Nibs wants to speak with you."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by The Bindoner »

The CPO rises from his seat and steps up to Zhenya. "Ma'am, the ship is calling. His Nibs wants to speak with you."
Zhenya looks puzzled. How intriguing. It must be important, to interrupt his own concerns.

She unstraps from her seat and moves to the comm station to hear what the Comte has to say.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Tiglath »

Foix transmits "Zhenya, Foix - and bravo! I understand you are doing something entirely commendable with the rescue operation - but, alas, I need you for a boarding action". He gives his best self mocking smile "I'm sure you could explain it away as typical of my petulant demands to only ever be seen when surrounded by beautiful women?" Dropping back into a more serious tone he asks simply "How long will you be?"

(OOC: Zhenya will know by now that Foix doesn't stand on any ceremony with those of his entourage whom he expects to fight alongside (albeit he instinctively acts like a "senior officer"). Outside official duties/public view his sense of humour often extends to self mockery and tall tales of his own romantic misadventures).
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by The Bindoner »

Zhenya smiles at the Comte's humour. I admit, I have become the sort of person that would prefer to join you in a hazardous venture than perform a humanitarian mission, but I have made my promise and must complete the task.

Turning to the CPO: Apparently I am required for décor. What is our timescale? How quickly can we return to the Lady?

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by joertexas »

The Bindoner wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:12 am Zhenya smiles at the Comte's humour. I admit, I have become the sort of person that would prefer to join you in a hazardous venture than perform a humanitarian mission, but I have made my promise and must complete the task.

Turning to the CPO: Apparently I am required for décor. What is our timescale? How quickly can we return to the Lady?
The CPO turns to study the pilot's flight display for a moment. "Two hours, if we can capture that pod without any trouble."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Tiglath »

The Bindoner wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:12 am Zhenya smiles at the Comte's humour. I admit, I have become the sort of person that would prefer to join you in a hazardous venture than perform a humanitarian mission, but I have made my promise and must complete the task.
Foix replies "Zhenya, we are what we are, but if you have given your word - c'est ça. Update me when you can".
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by The Bindoner »

I have been many things, few of them good, but I keep my word and here there are nevinnyye deti, the Baron Doctor's heirs, in danger. The crew tell me two hours blagorodnogo graf. I wish it were less, but that is the situation. Perhaps, if I am truly needed, it would be more efficient for your vessel to pick me up en route, rather than wait for this one to return? I believe the time it will take you to reach us would allow us to complete the recovery.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rock
Zhenya, I overheard your conversation. If they intend to board then there will be injuries - I shall come with you to ensure that those are treated quickly. The warship is most erratic. The crew may also be in need of help. Allow me to accompany you to repay some of the debt incurred in your aiding my children

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by The Bindoner »

You owe me nothing for my assistance, I owe you for allowing me the opportunity do good in this universe. A small atonement, yes?

She adopts an arch, self mocking tone: I would be happy to repay my debt for that favour by taking you to board a rogue AI controlled warship with me, if that is all you ask of me.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by BackworldTraveller »

If you take me aboard, I will see that as many as can get back off. A mad AI doesn't sound too clever - you may have to move cautiously otherwise the ships own acceleration and artificial gravity becomes a terrible weapon.

Return to “An Honorable Foix (CE Traveller)”