[LFP] Tomb of Horrors now recruiting!

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[LFP] Tomb of Horrors now recruiting!

#1 Post by Zhym »

Somewhere under a lost and lonely hill of grim and foreboding aspect lies a labyrinthine crypt. It is filled with terrible traps and not a few strange and ferocious monsters to slay the unwary. It is filled with rich treasures both precious and magical, but in addition to the aforementioned guardians, there is said to be a demi-lich who still wards his final haunt (Be warned that tales told have it that this being possesses powers which make him nearly undefeatable). Accounts relate that it is quite unlikely that any adventurers will ever find the chamber where the demi-lich Acererak lingers, for the passages and rooms of the Tomb are fraught with terrible traps, poison gases, and magical protections. Furthermore, the demi-lich has so well hidden his lair, that even those who avoid the pitfalls will not be likely to locale their true goal. So only large and well-prepared parties of the bravest and strongest should even consider the attempt, and if they do locate the Tomb, they must be prepared to fail. Any expedition must be composed of characters of high level and varied class. They must have magical protections and weapons, and equip themselves with every sort of device possible to insure their survival.
Entering Acereraks Tomb.png
Entering Acereraks Tomb.png (731.25 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Party 1:
Max_Vale
Distorted Humor
zebediah
gray mouser
NJWilliam
Vargr1105
Nuke66
MrHemlocks

Party 2:
Shonuff (?)
Stirling
SonOfSubmariner
sparkles
Jayph
Dumnbunny
Dogma
Alethan
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [LFP] Tomb of Horrors now recruiting!

#2 Post by rredmond »

Apparently Bill and I are just crazy enough to attempt this. We will be co-DMing the adventure and will ask ToniXX to set up two forums for us. So will be looking for 2 parties of 8 (first come first serve) and will be running wait lists. So when, er I mean if, you die, and if the party can make it back out of the tomb, they can pick up the next person on the list. Make no bones; this will be a deadly module. The likelihood is that your character will die, it’d be interesting to see how far we get in a play by post format, and Bill has some pretty creative ways of adapting this to PbP.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (150.47 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
We are going to try and do DM updates on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, so the posting rate will be three posts a week. We need to keep the pace fast once we start. We are looking to start pretty fast too.

You can roll up PCs using 4d6 cut the lowest, arrange as desired. We will be providing magic packages, but choose whatever mundane equipment you like. Remember encumbrance, keep it logical! We are giving each player 600,000 XPs to create their character with – see we are nice DMs.

We are divvying up some of the DM duties, but we are going to run this cooperatively. Whatever one DM sticks, though there’s going to be a lot of behind the scenes coordination with us as well.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

To further wet the whistle. :twisted:
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (1021.58 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (66.28 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by zebediah »

I'm in!

I probably shouldn't, but no way I'm missing this. ;)
gray mouser
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by gray mouser »

Hey, I'd love to join up. I've never actually played (or DM'ed) this module before.

Will PC's be rolled or pregens?

Sign me up!
zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by zebediah »

Ron, Bill, which books & optional rules will be allowed?

More to the point, I'm thinking of rolling a bard if that is permitted.

What about weapon specialization and weapon vs AC?
Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Bhart »

gray mouser wrote:Hey, I'd love to join up. I've never actually played (or DM'ed) this module before.

Sign me up!
You will roll your own as described above. :)
Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Bhart »

zebediah wrote:Ron, Bill, which books & optional rules will be allowed?

More to the point, I'm thinking of rolling a bard if that is permitted.

What about weapon specialization and weapon vs AC?
We will use the core and UA rules, so weapon specialization is allowed.

Weapon vs AC adjustment will not be used. Weapon length, speed, required space, etc. will all be used, so don't try bringing a pike into the dungeon :)

Bard eh? You can try but they are incredibly difficult to qualify for in 1E AD&D. I will ask to see ability score rolls on the Unseen Servant die roller for such a character.
zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by zebediah »

Indeed, I've got some great rolls but have not reached all the right numbers. I think I might go for a ranger instead.
Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Bhart »

Notice for new recruits: Ron and I would like to give players who have never experienced this Gygaxian classic first shot at the available spots. If you are are a veteran of the tomb we ask that you be a gentlemen or lady volunteer for the wait list. Thanks! :D

If it was not clear, when your character dies you will be asked to go to the end of the queue and the person at the top of the wait list will take your place. Unless of course the party can find a way to resurrect you.

Warning for new recruits: I know you are all honorable and good people, but his must be said...Please don't cheat and meta game. PCs that do tend to contract a fatal case of very bad luck. :twisted: Muhahahahaha!
Last edited by Bhart on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Bhart »

zebediah wrote:Indeed, I've got some great rolls but have not reached all the right numbers. I think I might go for a ranger instead.
My favorite class :) Can't go wrong with a ranger.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Bhart wrote:...
Warning for new recruits: I know you are all honorable and good people, but his must be said...Please don't cheat and meta game. PCs that do tend to contract a fatal case of very bad luck. :twisted: Muhahahahaha!
T'is a good point. We will be running two separate games. We figured that the two separate forums will reduce the temptation to take a peek (rather than one forum and two games) but since death is imminent, er likely, er quite possible in this game, it will definitely decrease your fun (more than our fun) if you cheat. ;)

Come and have fun! :twisted:
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by NJWilliam »

I'm in!

Is there still room?
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos
gray mouser
Strider
Strider

#14 Post by gray mouser »

Bhart wrote:
gray mouser wrote:Hey, I'd love to join up. I've never actually played (or DM'ed) this module before.

Sign me up!
You will roll your own as described above. :)
Oops, that's what I get for posting without reading the entire thread first. Sorry!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

NJWilliam wrote:I'm in!

Is there still room?
Considering your DMs are both from Jersey, how can we not let you in!
:)
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Vargr1105 »

Just to make a confirmation, this is the original, unchanged AD&D1e version of Tomb of Horrors, right? I ask because of all the different edition and system art I see posted on this thread.

If so, I'd like to hop in. It seems great to have a grinder module where new players may join as the ranks are dwindled. :twisted:

What rules will be used? Straight AD&D + UA or OSRIC? Are classes from OSRIC Unearthed available?
Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Dogma »

I so want to do this, but seeing as I'm having trouble finishing up my character for Mithrandir's C&C game, I'm not sure I should commit and have to make another one.

Anyone want to make a character for me? :D
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

Vargr1105 wrote:Just to make a confirmation, this is the original, unchanged AD&D1e version of Tomb of Horrors, right? I ask because of all the different edition and system art I see posted on this thread.

If so, I'd like to hop in. It seems great to have a grinder module where new players may join as the ranks are dwindled. :twisted:

What rules will be used? Straight AD&D + UA or OSRIC? Are classes from OSRIC Unearthed available?
Yup. The 1E Module. And hey those are some good arts! ;)

Rules will be AD&D + UA - plus the 600K XPs. As cited before the DMs are feeling crazy. :D

I shall count you in sir!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

Dogma wrote:I so want to do this, but seeing as I'm having trouble finishing up my character for Mithrandir's C&C game, I'm not sure I should commit and have to make another one.

Anyone want to make a character for me? :D
You could wait list one of the games. That'll give a little more time. Just a little. :twisted:

Let us know if you want in, or if you want to go on the wait list.
Last edited by rredmond on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Looking for players or games”