Pregame Q&A

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Pregame Q&A

#1 Post by dmw71 »

This is the place for literally all conversation until the game officially starts.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Pregame Q&A

#2 Post by dmw71 »

A few quick notes from me to kick things off. I don't plan on having a formal session zero. The goings-on in Waterdeep and the potential portal mishap (where the well prevents new entrants from entering Undermountain via normal means) will attract adventurers.

If you (the players) want to have your characters know each other; that's totally fine. It's also perfectly acceptable that none of you have ever met before and were assembled into a group moments before entering the dungeon (either via the well (if I scrap the idea I had) or via the teleportation portal).

Also, a question:
  • In D&D Beyond, are you, the players, able to see the character sheets of the other players in the same campaign you're added to?

In other words, Rex and/or Scott, are you able to see all the character sheets in the Aberdeen/Manor Hills campaigns I've added you to, or are you limited to seeing just your own character sheet?
-- Project --

-- DM --
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

I can view everyone in the same campaign. So in my case 6 sheets total (including my own). I can't see any in Scott's campaign.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:I can view everyone in the same campaign. So in my case 6 sheets total (including my own). I can't see any in Scott's campaign.
Okay, cool. Thanks for confirming.
-- Project --

-- DM --
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by sulldawga »

My account in D&D Beyond should be under mlsgrad99.

EDIT: I'd prefer we start already knowing each other.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by sulldawga »

As regards my PC, I plan on playing a Fighter/Eldritch Knight. I just wanted to have access to the cantrips that come with SCAG, if possible.

A 4e Swordmage was a Defender that could teleport himself and enemies around the battlefield. I don't think it's possible to fully recreate one in 5e and I'm not going to try. My Fighter will lean more toward damage dealing.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote:As regards my PC, I plan on playing a Fighter/Eldritch Knight. I just wanted to have access to the cantrips that come with SCAG, if possible.
You can definitely use the SCAG, but it would be the "+1" for your character.
sulldawga wrote:A 4e Swordmage was a Defender that could teleport himself and enemies around the battlefield.
I don't know if this is part of your plans with moving opponents around the battlefield, but anyone/anything moved in this manner is not subject to opportunity attacks:
  • Opportunity Attacks
    "You also don't provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction."
-- Project --

-- DM --
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sulldawga »

I'm not going to try to recreate the Swordmage in 5e. It's too much work.

I just like the idea of using those cantrips with a PC who's a combo fighter/mage.

What's your plan for giving our PCs magic and treasure similar to what a character would have earned going from 1st to 5th?

To be honest, I tried this exercise before and found that most of the magic you get from levels 1-4 is Common and consumable. An entire party of PCs should have accumulated, on average, only 2 Major magic items by the time they reach level 5.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote:What's your plan for giving our PCs magic and treasure similar to what a character would have earned going from 1st to 5th?
I have a "house" rule on this: Starting Equipment.

I'm still undecided on magic items. If I do allow them, they will be common (or possibly uncommon) in rarity, and will more than likely be utility in nature. Don't expect magical weapons or armor.

Good questions. Keep them up.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

No idea what I am going to run, currently running 2 monks in 5e pbp so not a monk. I will wait and see what some of the others want to make. I am pretty flexible.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by sulldawga »

How strict are you going to be as regards equipment, and especially food and water?

By equipment I mean: are we counting every arrow we use or are we hand-waving consumables like that with a monthly fee?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote:How strict are you going to be as regards equipment, and especially food and water?

By equipment I mean: are we counting every arrow we use or are we hand-waving consumables like that with a monthly fee?
Fairly strict, if not very. It can be argued that tracking these details isn't fun, but I contend allowing unlimited resources isn't fun. Running low on essential items (e.g. food/water) can create tension, and tension is a great vehicle for storytelling.

Same with ranged attacks. In my most recent 2e game, the only weapons an illusionist character had on them was 5 daggers... and they threw them all during a lengthy combat. That player was forced to decide whether they wanted to come out from hiding and recover their thrown weapons or remain in place. All the daggers could easily be found, but it did involve the character moving to where the daggers would have landed based on the throwing range and the spot they were actually thrown from. It wasn't exactly "fun" in that a round was spent moving and searching (e.g. wasted turn), but it did have the right feel for me.

While it's more a restating or pointing out of the official rules, I did create an 'Ammunition' entry in my house rules section.

Expect for me to create similar rules for other consumables as well once I've had a chance to locate all the necessary details.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Paladin »

Leaning toward a barbarian at the moment. If someone else has their heart set on being the bruiser, I can make a rogue. Either is fun for me.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Thinking about this and wanting to try something new in 5e I am going to go with a Dwarf Ranger (Gloom Stalker, Underdark). Should be a fun build and useful.

This might make us a bit fighter heavy so if need be I can run a Cleric.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

I don't want to share details unnecessarily, but there is this:
  • "No spell other than wish can be used to enter Undermountain, leave it, or transport oneself from one level to another."

Which would explain why the teleportation portal in place (assuming I use it, versus just playing the module as-written -- I'm still debating) has been unreliable.

The only known entrance into Undermountain (e.g. yawning portal) ceasing to accept new entrants, and a powerful teleportation portal being implemented (even if unreliable) is half the draw now. Given how popular the dungeon is, word has spread fast! It has attracted the bravest (or most curious) of adventurers. Some of these adventurers arrive in groups. Many arrive by themselves.

No character background information is necessary if you arrive at the portal by yourself.

If you guys decide you do want to know each other beforehand, I will expect for at least some detail about how you met, how long you've known each other, etc... Especially if you're from an exotic location (e.g. Underdark) or are of an exotic race (e.g. anything from the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, Volo's Guide to Monsters, or Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes).

If your character will be arriving by themselves, I'm going to encourage you (the player) to create the character you're interested in playing without consideration for overall party makeup. I will make sure all five of the characters created do enter at the same time, as a group, but this (forced?) pairing may represent the first time any of you have ever met each other.

I don't know why this scene is the first to come to mind, but this is kind of what I'm imagining:

There's a substantial event taking place. People all gather at a particular location to witness this event. They're strangers, together.

I hope the above makes sense.
-- Project --

-- DM --
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ravenn4544 »

I was thinking sorcerer or something like that if no one had that in mind.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:I was thinking sorcerer or something like that if no one had that in mind.
Then please play a sorcerer.

Obviously keep the environment (e.g. dungeon) in mind, but I would strongly encourage players to build something they want to play. This dungeon is deep enough and involved enough that this game could run for -- well, years. I'd hate for a player to build a character to fill a need and regret not building something else they actually wanted to play. If, after repeated failed dives, the group is always failing because they're lacking something -- then NPC's can easily be made available. Or maybe there will be a new player that does actively want to fill that role.

Right now, though, when you don't know what you're going to be up against, everyone should worry less about what they think the group might need and more about what they can see thenselves being excited to play for a very long time.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:This dungeon is deep enough and involved enough that this game could run for -- well, years.
To this point, this game will almost certainly still be in its infancy when my other two games reach their eventual completion.

At that time, my plan (tentatively; things change) will be to either run this game exclusively, or possibly revive my Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e) game and continue it on through the remaining dungeons.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

It all sounds good to me. Have you decided on standard array or another method?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:Have you decided on standard array or another method?
Not yet, no.

I don't suppose now is the time for me to implement any new hardcore roles. ;) I'll think on this and make a decision relatively soon.
-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)”