Quest #28 "Kegenstien's Expedition Over the River"

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #28 "Kegenstien's Expedition Over the River"

#961 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

The elf approaches the natives engaged in skinning the beaver and watches them work for a brief moment. He holds one hand in front of him, palms forward, and slowly retrieves one of his daggers with the other hand, turning it to hold it by the blade. He motions with his free hand toward the skinning job and offers the dagger to the natives with a nod.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#962 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel lets the natives do their work while she keeps an eye on the jungle. She smiles at Keyon's gesture. "Be careful. You might lose it for good!" She walks casually around while watching the wilderness that surrounds them.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#963 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Native Lands
Waterday, 24th of Goodmonth
Midday, Sunny, Hot, Buggy

Keg's new friend starts to laugh out loud when the fighter points to his bleeding neck hole and then shows him the colorful dart, though he still clearly doesn't understand any of his words. The native eventually snatches the dart from the mans hand and shouts in his face in between chuckles. "Keg!"

Elnaerel allows these hunters to go about their business, since her group is basically intruding in their territory as they speak. While she looks around the place, she notices that at least two of their numbers also visually search the surrounding area, especially the tree line and the treetops. Her comment to Keyon couldn't be any more foretelling.

When the elven sailor inspects the natives skinning of the animal with nothing more than sharpened stone tools, he hands the men his rather sharp dagger instead. After some excitable clicking and more shared words between them, they nod their heads vehemently and get back to work with the blade. They cut out the guts, one of them separates the heart, handing it over to Keyon with reverence. He takes the rest of the bloody mess over to the river before pulling up a hidden woven reed fish trap that was concealed under the surface of the water at the banks edge. He takes one of the two strange looking fish from the trap, stowing one in a sack on his belt before sticking the remainder of the guts deep inside the thing and dropping it back into the water. He hands the second fish over to Keyon with a smile while his friends make quick work of the animal with their much better knife blade. Once the meat is cut and washed, they slice off a good sized chunk, also handing it over to Keyon, speaking a familiar word as they rub their taught bellies, attempting to communicate. "Nyamm!" They don't offer the blade back to the elf once they have finished their task.

Actions?

overall map:
viewtopic.php?p=366477#p366477
Keg Woodwright 12/13
Elnaerel 10/10 0/3
Keyon 6/6
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#964 Post by Bluehorse »

Keg grumbles a little but does crack a smile. Right... Keg. He then watches as the natives go about their business with the beaver and watches as they bait the trap with sudden realization. Say now... there is something we could learn. Did you get a look at that?I don't know how much one of those things could get us, but if we had a few of them scattered about here and there, we might be able to get some more food in for the village. What do you think?

Seeing that Keyon has likely lost his blade, Keg chuckles a little. Take it as less losing your blade for some scraps of meat and more you just saw how the natives keep their bellies full. That's gotta be worth something especially in the long run for the town.

Then still paying attention. Nyamm.... Hey! That must mean food! He opens his pack and takes out some of his rations handing them to the Laughing Man. Nyamm?
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#965 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

The elf regards these new offerings with raised eyebrows, then cracks a smile. "Nyamm indeed, my lads. I think we shall." He chuckles and moves toward the firewood stack, gesturing for someone to help.

"Could someone possibly assist me with building a fire to prepare this feast? I'd do it, but my hands are rather full."

Keyon shrugs at the loss of his dagger. "I'm sure that delicious, well-put-together woman in Beachtown will delight in charging me a king's ransom for a new dagger or axe," he muses. "And frankly, I'll be happy to pay it. Any excuse to admire her shapely figure is a welcome one."

He pauses for a moment to appreciate the mental image, then blinks and sends the others a sheepish grin. "Pardon me. It's been awhile," he mutters. "At any rate," Keyon continues, deftly segueing into another topic, "I imagine that having friends in this place is worth far more than a blade or two."
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#966 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

Turns her head when Keyon asks for help. "Yes, I'll help you with that. I was just taking a look out there lest anything nasty surprises us. You seem to be better at socializing with the natives. Although their way of life fascinates me indeed, more in tune with nature... A way more hostile nature than what I'm used to back home, must I add. These are very tough people." She starts gathering some twigs and branches, and then some bigger logs in order to start a fire. While she does so she decides to answer to Keg's idea. "That's a good thought. We could spend some of the remainder of the day hunting for some of these animals and bring them tomorrow to town. Although I would call myself lucky if we get to bring just one down."

If she has the time, she'll gather some round pebbles, if she can any, and pocket them, as ammunition for her sling.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#967 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Native Lands

While Keyon and Elnaerel get a fire started to cook up their new meaty offerings for second lunch, the elven playboys mind drifts off for a moment, thinking about the pleasantly plump Nallissa back at the Hi-Lo. Once the fire is ready for cooking, the cleric searches the banks of the river, finding plenty of nice smooth round stones she can use in her sling.

Keg thinks he is on to something here. He excitedly pulls rations from his pack, handing some jerky and dried nuts over to his new friend. The native takes the meat, sniffing it with displeasure before touching it to the tip of his tongue. His reaction to the salty taste is almost comical, his face screwing up tightly in the process. He eventually takes a big bite, chewing like a cow chews its cud for quite a while before moving back to the river for a few mouthfuls of water to wash down the salty offering. He speaks with the others again, giving each of them a small piece to try for themselves, equally dividing up the nuts between them as well.

After finishing up with what they were doing, and eating everything Keg has given them with varying facial expressions, they smile and nod at the fighter. "Nyamm!"

Actions?

overall map:
viewtopic.php?p=366477#p366477
Keg Woodwright 12/13
Elnaerel 10/10 0/3
Keyon 6/6
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#968 Post by Karaunios »

Once she's gathered some stones from the riverside, Elnaerel wants to give it a try and socialize with the natives, offering them some more jerky with a nod. "Who knows, they had to share yours and maybe that kept them wanting more." She says to Keg, and shrugs.

She takes a look at the sky before continuing. "Maybe we should think about starting that hunt. I would say we keep it by the river. It's a good landmark, or rather, the only one, and its more probable that we're gonna come across one of these animals there, trying to quench its thirst."

She takes a look at the pavilion, everything ready for the night. "Should we put everything like it was before we leave even if that means we have to redo everything again once we're back? I don't want them to get angry at us for not being careful with their property." Although she's next to Keg, she asks the question in high enough a voice so that Keyon can hear it too.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#969 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Pssssttt!!!

It's been 3 days.

Elnaerel is getting a little lonely here, fellas!
:)
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#970 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

Keyon focuses on his cooking, flexing all the culinary skill he can muster to cook the meat just right. If any of the natives seem interested in helping, he will gladly encourage them.

"Leave it like we found it, I'd say," he says over his shoulder.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#971 Post by Bluehorse »

Keg

Thought I posted. Sorry!

The man goes about helping get a small cook fire going and then returns to the natives. He gestures as best he can as he speaks trying to get his ideas across. Those traps are impressive. How do you make them?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#972 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Native Lands

The natives watch everything the trio does, getting right up into their personal space and looking their gear over closely. They gladly take more of Elnaerel’s offered jerky, sharing it amongst themselves equally. A few of them nod at her and spew what sounds like the word “tenk” as they aggressively chew the dried meat.

Two of them watch Keyon’s cooking intently, commenting to each other about the elf’s techniques, but not offering to help.

One of the hunters gets real close to Keg, poking his finger into the dart wound in his neck before saying something to his buddies, who all laugh in return. He then pats the much larger man on his shoulder a few times, saying “Keg” before stepping back. He respectfully mock flexes and then points at Kegs toned physique, nodding in admiration and pointing out any evident battle scars.

Before they get the chance to discuss the fundamentals of crafting a fish trap, one of the men calls out loudly to the others and bangs his spear into the ground. All of them quickly assemble again, apparently ready to continue on their way. The man points to the hut, nods his head, waves his hand through the air to encompass both groups, points to the north, up the trail, in the direction they are about to leave, and grunts something inaudible.

The others all nod at you before their group begins to silently slip away to the north.

Actions?

overall map:
http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewt ... 77#p366477
Keg Woodwright 12/13
Elnaerel 10/10 0/3
Keyon 6/6
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#973 Post by Bluehorse »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:26 pm ...A few of them nod at her and spew what sounds like the word “tenk” as they aggressively chew the dried meat....
Keg catches on and perks up. Thank... They are saying Thanks
OGRE MAGE wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:26 pm One of the hunters gets real close to Keg, poking his finger into the dart wound in his neck before saying something to his buddies, who all laugh in return. He then pats the much larger man on his shoulder a few times, saying “Keg” before stepping back. He respectfully mock flexes and then points at Kegs toned physique, nodding in admiration and pointing out any evident battle scars.
The Norse man smirks and nods. Yeah, thanks. You look pretty wiry yourself. the big man gives him a rough but amicable smack on the back and nods firmly.
OGRE MAGE wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:26 pm Before they get the chance to discuss the fundamentals of crafting a fish trap, one of the men calls out loudly to the others and bangs his spear into the ground. All of them quickly assemble again, apparently ready to continue on their way. The man points to the hut, nods his head, waves his hand through the air to encompass both groups, points to the north, up the trail, in the direction they are about to leave, and grunts something inaudible.

The others all nod at you before their group begins to silently slip away to the north.
Keg tilts his head and turns to the others. I get the feeling we are being asked to come with them. Didn't that gesture make anything think he meant all of us come?
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#974 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

Keyon sends them an amicable wave and a smiling nod. "Goodbye, my friends. Enjoy that dagger, won't you?" He pulls a wry grin and groans inwardly at the thought of how badly a new one will lighten his already-bleeding purse.

Next he regards the food with a raised eyebrow. "I thought we'd be eating together." Keyon shrugs. "Ah well. Plenty of excellent meat for us. Not so terrible a deal, I'd say." He cocks his head at Keg's assessment of the native's parting gesture.

"You may well be correct, Keg. But the swiftness and silence of their departure makes me think otherwise. Perhaps it's an invitation to visit...or letting us know where they're headed." He shrugs again.

"I do know I'll at least eat this before I go anywhere!" He winks.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#975 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel smiles when the natives take a second round of rations and then watches them leave the leave after all their actions and waves at them in a friendly way as the go.

"I'm a bit confused myself. I would say that they waved us goodbye but on the other hand... We don't have time to leave everything like it is tough. Not without putting everything back where it should be..." She points at the pavilion. "... and eating the food that Keyon just cooked.

I don't know, if they wanted us to find with them they would insist a bit more, wouldn't they? I think we should attempt to do the things we set up to do and hunt something that we can bring to the people in town tomorrow."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#976 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Native Lands

If the natives were requesting that the trio follow them, they dont seem concerned at all when they stay behind, not even looking back to thank the elf for his awesome trade.

Not willing to waste the fresh meat and fish, the splinter group enjoys a nice hot meal for a change. They don't see any more animals to hunt while they eat, pondering if the one they are currently chewing was being tracked by the hunters who bagged it.

Actions?

overall map:
http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewt ... 77#p366477
Keg Woodwright 12/13
Elnaerel 10/10 0/3
Keyon 6/6
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#977 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

After their meal, Keyon will carefully arrange the campsite back into the condition it was left in by the builders. He'll stack their firewood and remove the remains of their meal.

"Well. Shall we?"
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#978 Post by Bluehorse »

Keg

Lets the conversation drop for the moment and continues gathering kindling from the treelines until the meat is all ready. He happily chews his share of meat, not shying away from any kind of protein especially the fish. I want to get another look at that fish trap before we leave. That is clever.
Toss some scrap in there, put it in the water, and just come back later and harvest the goods. Other than that, did you notice how close they were watching the water? Seems they know something we don't. You don't suppose that tentacle monster can come up river do you? Or maybe they are looking for something like that big snake from last night?
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#979 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel eats her share of the food with gusto. Then she helps with the arrangements.

"Some part of me tells me that maybe we could try and go back to the town. If we're going hunting we're gonna risk being hurt anyway. This is a dangerous place.

It's still midday and I have the feeling that we're gonna waste our time of we remain the rest of the day here... We can check that fish trap and then follow the river to the beach. Maybe we can get any news from our friends or hunt something on the way."
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#980 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

"Works for me." He collects his things and heads toward the river, though Keyon maintains a cautious distance, mimicking the watchfulness of the natives.

Return to “Completed Missions”