Atlas City (Max, Raven, Elsa, Professor)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Atlas City (Max, Raven, Elsa, Professor)

#81 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Professor: "Steady, chap! I did not mean to alarm you, and, to the best of my knowledge, there has been no calamitous encroachment. I meant 'urgent' in the sense that an increasing number of parties seem interested in the Ichnorite. It is terribly hard to put genies back in bottles, and I find the uncontrolled spread of the stuff worrisome.

"You say that your people learned to contain the material. What do you know of this process? I assume at least part of your work here is to replicate this process?"
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Rukellian »

Pulpatoon wrote:The Professor: "Steady, chap! I did not mean to alarm you, and, to the best of my knowledge, there has been no calamitous encroachment. I meant 'urgent' in the sense that an increasing number of parties seem interested in the Ichnorite. It is terribly hard to put genies back in bottles, and I find the uncontrolled spread of the stuff worrisome.

"You say that your people learned to contain the material. What do you know of this process? I assume at least part of your work here is to replicate this process?"
Maurice Feldon calms down somewhat, but his expression stays worrisome. "The process is not lost, but I do not have the tools to make the machinery. This lab was not built for the use of handling Vibranium, it was made to build robots like Scamp and suits of armor like Flicker's. It was only but just a day ago that I realized that Ichnorite has become a part of existence in this realm, something I never thought to expect or prepare for. Like I said, thousands of years to early, and now it would appear as if I am playing a desperate game of catch up."

He scratches his head and looks over the data again at his computer. "Once my colleagues secure a sample of Ichnorite and teleport it here, I can start doing the necessary diagnostic readings, determining how far in the evolutionary process it is in, whether it is contained in certain areas of the world still or has started to terraform and expand its territories. The chemical composition of the material may also differ slightly, considering that this is a different dimension with different variables in place. Knowing the composition will be key when adjusting samples of Vibranium ore to proper frequencies.

"You mentioned other parties that are showing interest... I have a few suspects of my own: Arikas Shipping as you already know, and the company it is contracted to, Rook Industries. I have a feeling that there are shadows working their strings in the background, using these corporations as tools. I wouldn't even be surprised if Poseidon Electronics was in on this too! Trust me when I say that our troubles are just beginning."
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Pulpatoon »

Professor: "I am well convinced of that last point."

The Professor has his notebook out, and is making notes: Scamp/robot. Flicker/armor. Arikas/Rook/Poseidon. Stages of Ichnorite development observable?

"Now, you mention research over a span of many, many years, and, if I may say so, you, yourself, appear to be of many fewer years that I was led to expect. Is there... Do your researches include something... unusual with the flow of time?

"How do you observe the development of the Ichnorite? Is it visible to the naked eye, or is equipment required? What changes do you look for?

"Vibranium has been mentioned several times in connection to the pseudo-mineral. It is a sort of counter-agent? Please tell me more about its properties. Where are you procuring this sample from, and what, precisely, do you intend to do with it?"

The Professor is , unless interrupted by outside forces, going to continue to ask questions, which be of an increasingly specific and detailed nature, and we may not want to roleplay them all. At a certain point, shall I just say "The Professor studies everything he possibly can from Feldon," and roll against Intellect or something?
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Rukellian »

"Considering that Ichnorite may have heralded from a different dimension, I would not be surprised at the prospect of it be only visible under certain conditions. Still.... if the material is already being circulated through dark channels, why haven't we as a planet learned about this sooner? Was there some sort of cloaking effect taking effect, a spacial anomaly that rendered sight from a distance obsolete, or-"

Professor Feldon is interrupted as the machine in the center of the room comes to life, a hundred or so floating cubes appearing above, slowly starting to be contructed by mechanical arms. A crate finishes being constructed on the work station, fashioned by none other than Poseidon Electronics. "They pulled through!!"
work table.jpg
work table.jpg (9.21 KiB) Viewed 644 times
scifi crate.jpg
scifi crate.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Professor: "What have we here?"
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Rukellian »

"If my sources are correct, Ichnorite!" He points towards a locker toward the side of the labratory. "In there should be a suit, you're going to want to put it on in case of radioactive exposure, I will do the same shortly." Professor Feldon makes some last minute adjustments to the machine before he goes to the closet himself, visibly excited during the whole process.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Professor avails himself of a protective suit.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Rukellian »

Once the two are in their protective body suits, Professor Feldon activates a barrier system, wrapping around the workstation and the two inside. "A containment field in case of a rapid radiation leak," he explains as the electronic bubble wraps around the professors. After checking to make sure the container was safe to open, he inputs a few commands on a control console found embedded on the crate's side. A release can be heard, plumes of steam shooting out. He slowly opens the container and finds the dreaded ichnorite, glowing, pulsating inside a white chamber. The radiation is readily visible, a green mist, just light enough for the human eye to pick up.
ichnorite.jpg
ichnorite.jpg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 632 times
"There is no mistaking it... this is Ichnorite." The trembling in the Professor's voice shows the incredible fear that he is trying to suppress. You also look upon this pseudo-crystal and feel a simliar fear building inside. The visions of the future that can be, the cityscapes ruined and covered in this alien crystal, this organism. It's existence, the sight before you, it is real, and you are certain of it now, of its dangers and that you must stop it, stop others from collecting and abusing it, using it!

"This here, Mr. Perryton, this is what almost single-handedly destroyed an entire planet. This is the seed of destruction as we know it!"
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Pulpatoon »

Professor: "Where did your associates procure this sample? And what do you plan to do with it?"
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Rukellian »

Pulpatoon wrote:Professor: "Where did your associates procure this sample? And what do you plan to do with it?"
"Since you've come this far and know so much already, I suppose there is little harm in telling you that much. This sample was procurred from an underground black market situated underneath an old chemical plant. The black market is unofficially owned by Arikas Shipping and my associates and I have reason to believe that the company is doing more than just sponsoring some new energy project. The fact that this crate arrived only reinforces the point."

Professor Feldon then pulls out some sort of scanning apparatus and performs a sweeping motion over the crystal. After checking the device for a moment or so he then shakes his head and looks towards Perryton as he says the following, "the radiation levels are resemble that of the ichnorite that we had to deal with in our own dimension, in other words it is the same threat; however, in a different, the ichnorite could have different results. I will need to use the current sample here to help trace its origins, see if I can detect any more on a global scale now that I have its signatures. From there we will know just how bad the contamination levels are and how far it has spread. Ultimately, I will see this Ichnorite destroyed, all of it."
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Pulpatoon »

Professor: "I put myself at your disposal. Is there any way I might assist your research? And destroy it how? Do you have a specific method?"
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Rukellian »

"We will need to secure some samples of Vibranium to help develop the sonic technologies needed to beat back and destroy the Ichnorite. Currently the technology does not exist, but I have it here, in this database. It is one of the few things that I brought with me from my dying world, and I'm glad I did."

Professor Feldon walks over to another computer terminal after securing the glowing green substance back in its case. He is now busy at work bringing up known maps of the world and other maps as well, of another world, similiar to our own, but different in certain areas, how curious.

"When my associates return from their mission, we can begin this search soon. Professor Perryton, can you draw upon any resources that may be of use to us when helping secure this Vibranium? I have a feeling that our objectives ahead will be difficult and may require the help of certain supers."
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Pulpatoon »

Professor: "My resources are limited, but I will see what I can do. I gather there is a bottleneck on Vibranium. The main source is... some tiny speck of a country in the northern wastes. Arendel? I'll make a few calls.

"As for these plans you have recorded: They are of immense value, of course. They could very well be all that stands between our world and ruin. I feel nervous about keeping them sequestered in a single place. Would it be safe to disseminate them? It strikes me that the more hands and eyes we had on them, the better.

"If we simply uploaded the plans to the... computer thing... web? Every lab and amateur tinkerer on the planet would want to take a crack at playing with an unprecedented technology. Even if they don't have access to vibranium, now, they might at some point. And I don't see a downside to there being too many people with the means to destroy Ichnorite."
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Rukellian »

Pulpatoon wrote:Professor: "My resources are limited, but I will see what I can do. I gather there is a bottleneck on Vibranium. The main source is... some tiny speck of a country in the northern wastes. Arendel? I'll make a few calls.

"As for these plans you have recorded: They are of immense value, of course. They could very well be all that stands between our world and ruin. I feel nervous about keeping them sequestered in a single place. Would it be safe to disseminate them? It strikes me that the more hands and eyes we had on them, the better.

"If we simply uploaded the plans to the... computer thing... web? Every lab and amateur tinkerer on the planet would want to take a crack at playing with an unprecedented technology. Even if they don't have access to vibranium, now, they might at some point. And I don't see a downside to there being too many people with the means to destroy Ichnorite."
"Arendel, good. Those are one of the places that still overlaps with my world.... I would'nt expect less from an individual like yourself, Professor." Professor Feldon pauses and looks up from his work when Perryton suggests his idea of information dessemination.

"It is funny that you should mention that. The very same idea came up in my world, the spreading of free technology over the web. My people then were naive as well and only had good intentions. Man has a way of perverting those good intentions, corrupting them and abuse them to their own ends. What was first a project for an engine that could produce limitless energy, became instead an arms race between evil organizations. The elements of corruption is just as abundant in this world as it was in mine. I fear for what would happen if we just gave the plans for this technology, to.... anyone really.

"Tell me Professor, prove to me that this world has learned from its history, that I can safeguard this information to someone as reliable and trustworthy as my robotic dog Scamp. If you can do that, I will make the necessary arrangements."
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Pulpatoon »

Professor: "You're saying the technology to destroy the ichnorite would also allow researchers to exploit it? Hmm, that is sticky. I'd say that history bears out the wisdom of dispersing information—but in the long term. Things can get very ugly in the short term, and the threat we are facing is rather immediate, isn't it? Very well, we will not scatter our seeds upon the wind. But I would hope that we could secure this information in several secure locations, lest something unfortunate happen. I have access to several libraries that specialize in preserving and protecting dangerous secrets. The Vatican's Black Library being the most public of them. Would you allow me to salt a few copies away against a rainy day?"
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Rukellian »

Pulpatoon wrote:Professor: "You're saying the technology to destroy the ichnorite would also allow researchers to exploit it? Hmm, that is sticky. I'd say that history bears out the wisdom of dispersing information—but in the long term. Things can get very ugly in the short term, and the threat we are facing is rather immediate, isn't it? Very well, we will not scatter our seeds upon the wind. But I would hope that we could secure this information in several secure locations, lest something unfortunate happen. I have access to several libraries that specialize in preserving and protecting dangerous secrets. The Vatican's Black Library being the most public of them. Would you allow me to salt a few copies away against a rainy day?"
Professor Feldon, after giving the idea some thought, nods in understanding a prepares a physical copy of the information. "I suppose if I can't trust you Mr. Perryton, I'd be in a very bad position right now. Very well, you may send a copy to a place of your choice, but I cannot know about it. I'm sure you understand the reasons behind that. In fact, it would probably be best if I removed all of the information from here anyways, leave nothing behind in case someone decides to forcibly take it from me...." A grim look is spread across his face as the professor considers his own words. It is not quite out of place either considering the kind of world that he is currently living in.

As soon as the other supers finish their current misson, I will resume progress on this one. I think they are almost done, but then again, I thought the same thing a few months ago :lol: This time for sure though!
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Pulpatoon »

Alright.
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by MonkeyWrench »

raven has left the complex and is now entering the thread! He shall be quietly following Elsa towards the promised sword-land!

Thank you for being so patient Pulp! Let us get our super hero's on!
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Rukellian »

Miss Cortez rings the doorbell to Professor Feldon's apartment and a camera feed pops into view. Scamp is behind her as well as two new supers. Steve/Flicker is not there with Scamp, nor is Max/Aether.

"Oh, perfect timing! Do come in, come in. Through the usual door." Professor Feldon chimes in enthusiastically. "And thank goodness you are both alright!"

When the group of supers and Miss Cortez enters the labratory, Maurice gets up from his chair and greets them personally. "Right this way. I'd like to introduce you all to Professor Perryton. Professor Perryton, this is a trusted colleague of mine, Miss Cortez, my robotic assistant, SCAMP, and... wait a moment, who are you two? And where is Steve?" Fear seems to touch the mans voice as he looks around frantically. "Is he alright?"
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Professor stands and is about to extend a hand, but defers to Sheldon's obvious distress.

Return to “Rebirth of Power: a 4c system game”