Before the moor...(Pre-First exploration.)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Before the moor...(Pre-First exploration.)

#41 Post by Distorted Humor »

SocraticLawyer wrote:
ApathyJesus wrote:The dark haired elf leaning in the corner snickers quietly, stepping out into the light, surveying the people before him. He speaks, his voice rather soft and melodic, but carrying to each of them.

"It would seem the dwarf and I can agree on something. The title of 'brother', or 'friend' for that matter, are something to be earned - not simply given away for the price of a few drinks. I assume the rest of you are here to do something about the plague of undead that seem to stem from the tombs?"

His green eyes narrow as he surveys the group before him, quietly considering them.

"Or, perhaps, you're simply after the treasure rumored to be stashed away there. Either way, it would seem we're all heading to the same place, and our chances would probably be better if we all worked together, hmm?"
Agreed, Master Elf. I propose that we journey together. Does that not seem wisest, Master Dwarf?
Hopefully deflating any tensions between the elf and dwarf, Agathon will then approach Hurtag. It seems that you were not chosen to accompany the cleric. If you're still interested, however, I need someone to protect me, and carry some of my stuff. I can pay you 5 GP up front, plus 1 GP per day. If we both live long enough, I'll also upgrade your gear. What say you?
He readily agrees to these terms.
NPC_Randy
Scout
Scout

#42 Post by NPC_Randy »

Distorted Humor wrote:He takes his gold and walks away. A few of the patrons look at the party, but soon the hubbub of the tavern returns.
Suddenly from the bar erupts a raucous guffaw. "The Gods look after fools, children, and drunkards... humans usually count for two out of three."
Mogullen wrote:"Five and I will carry your stuff the ends of the earth."
Gorek wrote:"You've got guts. I'll give you that much. Fine. Five pieces of silver per day. Here's your first day's wages. I'll fetch you my pack as soon as I'm done here."
Gorek chugs the last of his ale, pays the barkeep. Making his way back to his room, the dwarf returns with his packed backpack.

"Here's the pack you'll be carrying. There's two bedrolls in there, one of which is yours. There's enough rations for the both of us as well. Let's get ready to travel."
EQUIPMENT CARRIED BY HIRELING
Backpack 2 gp 2 lbs
Bedroll 1 sp 5 lbs
Bedroll 1 sp 5 lbs
Flint and steel 2 gp -
Grappling hook 1 gp 4 lbs
Lantern 9 gp 3 lbs
3 Oil (1-pint flask) 3 sp 3 lbs
Rations, trail 6 days 3 gp 6 lbs
Rope, hemp (50 ft.) 1 gp 10 lbs
2 Sack, large 4 sp 1 lbs
Wineskin 1 gp 4 lbs
Wine (2 pints) 1 gp .5 lbs
Waterskin 1 gp 4 lbs

Weight carried by hireling: 47.5 lbs
OOC: Had to adjust my equipment list to get it under the 50 lbs limit for the hireling to carry.
ST4TICStriker
Strider
Strider

#43 Post by ST4TICStriker »

Distorted Humor wrote:He takes his gold and walks away. A few of the patrons look at the party, but soon the hubbub of the tavern returns.

(OOC: If no one else wants to hire hirelings, then its best we get off to the barrows? yes? )
If he trys to steal the gold without answering I'm gonna start a fist fight.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rukellian »

Concerned by Lorde's Drunken behaviour, Rukellian makes his way over to elf that was speaking earlier. He gets a sort of feeling that the elf has a good head on his shoulders. "Your name was Zilnias right? Well, introductions first I guess. My name would be Rukellian. I am concerned about Lorde's drunken behaviour, he seems most likey to lose his wit and temper and will probably cause a scene. I don't have much experience with dealing with drunk people and I want to help calm things down. Would you know what to do? I'm afraid that if I take any rash actions, it might just escalate the situation even further, and then our adventuring party's good name could become blemished right off from the start."

Taking into consideration those around him, Rukellian tries to carry his conversation calmly and with a smile on his face, being careful not to look behind himself.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
GronkTheBold
Scout
Scout

#45 Post by GronkTheBold »

ApathyJesus wrote:"My name is Zilnias. I didn't catch everyone else's name either? Perhaps a round of introductions are in order?"
Behrun looks at Lorde, wary of the imminent explosion of drunken rowdiness, and looks to Zilnias to introduce himself: "I am Behrun Groggan, Dwarf of the Shalebond Mine land, and I intend to help cleanse the darkness of the barrow mounds after we depart." He will return to his drink and order a meal, suddenly feeling a pang of hunger.
That low level hireling who carries the ten foot poles...
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by Distorted Humor »

a burly man named "Oak" is watching the party to make sure there is no fistfight.

Let me know which barrow the party wants to investigate first ;)
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rukellian »

Taking in Zilnias' calm silence, Rukellian takes the hint that there will be no need for action. Surveying the room once again, Rukellian then notices the burly man keeping a strong eye on the party, the tavern's bouncer no less. Ah, so the elf noticed this long before I, Rukellian thought to himself, good eyes indeed.

With everything then settled here, Rukellian starts to make his leave. "To those who are going to the northern barrows, I will be waiting with my hirelings at the northern entrance of town!" Giving one last weary look at Lorde, still probably in drunken stupor, Rukellian shakes his head and mutters to himself, "ah the evils of alcohol, what it can make a perfectly fine man do..."
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
ST4TICStriker
Strider
Strider

#48 Post by ST4TICStriker »

Lorde blinks twice...The man he was talking to just seconds before has disappeared without a trace.

Right after the the map dealer took the coins he simply dropped out of existence, the noblemen's fist flew though the space the shady fellow occupied just few heartbeats ago but he was now nowere to be seen. Lorde simply stands there in disbelief, his mouth agape.

Looking down to the table Lorde is suddenly realizing the seriousness of the situation, a wizard had given him this map. Was this man the lord of the barrow in disguise or simply a wizard who had a stake in this?
Whatever the answer it unnerved the noble to think a higher figure was guiding them to the Barrowmaze.

He leaves his drinks unfinished and rests his hands on his sword's hilt, it's presence reasuring.
"We should not enter the centre burrow..." lorde says absently, quietly going though the possibilities in his head. "Whatever lies there will be waiting for us. We should go though one of the smaller mounds and take a less direct route instead."

He heads towards the door with a grim look on his face, magic like this is never a good sign.
Last edited by ST4TICStriker on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Agathon and Hurtag leave with Rukellian, heading for the north barrow.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
GronkTheBold
Scout
Scout

#50 Post by GronkTheBold »

ST4TICStriker wrote: He leaves his drinks unfinished and rests his hands on his sword's hilt, it's presence reasuring.
"We should not enter the centre burrow..." lorde says absently, quietly going though the possibilities in his head. "Whatever lies there will be waiting for us. We should go though one of the smaller mounds and take a less direct route instead."
"I agree, let's follow our companions to the northern barrow instead." Behrun will travel with Rukellian to the northern barrow.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rukellian »

While waiting at the northern entrance of town, Rukellian notices Behrun, Agathon and Lorde approaching. Taking note of Lorde's now sober state he asks him, "why such a grim look? You too Behrun. Did something happen at the tavern in the short time I was gone?"
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#52 Post by Distorted Humor »

When the party is ready, the first expedition thread is located at

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=1457
GronkTheBold
Scout
Scout

#53 Post by GronkTheBold »

Rukellian wrote:While waiting at the northern entrance of town, Rukellian notices Behrun, Agathon and Lorde approaching. Taking note of Lorde's now sober state he asks him, "why such a grim look? You too Behrun. Did something happen at the tavern in the short time I was gone?"
(Referring to himself and Lorde) "We both decided that the larger mound would be the most dangerous, probably created for nobility long ago, and that joining you on the journey to the northern and smaller mound would be the best option." Behrun explains this to the Cleric when he reaches the northern entrance.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rukellian »

"I see... It's probably for the best then. I had a feeling that most of the people flocking here to Newtown would also be all heading towards the main barrow. More unsavory types would gather in the same place, some trying to lay traps for others no doubt. I was going to suggest to everyone that we search the smaller barrows first, but you guys beat me to it!"

Looking around, Rukellian noticed that Zilnias and Gorek have yet to arrive.

"When everyone else arrives, I think it be best to tell them of our plans and see what they think of all of this." Thinking for a moment, Rukellian then adds humorously, "though Gorek probably wouldn't have much to say; It would appear as if he's had the grumps for quite awhile now... hehe don't tell him I said that!"

Return to “Adventures in the Barrowmaze”