Re: 21. Revisiting the Troglodyte Lair

#301 Post by wolfpack »

epsilon hauls ass down the east passage

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#302 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:did S3 fall in a previous fight? I thought he did...
Actually, it turns out you're right. You clubbed him with this attack which killed it last round (round 7); I must have forgotten to remove it from the map (which is what I use when visualizing the situation and determining who does what). I would have eliminated the round 8 attack I made for it, saving Aric 2 points of damage, but still would leave the barbarian at -2 and bleeding out.

I'll remove it from the map going forward, which will obviously help, but it doesn't change anything other than the number of opponents you're still left facing.

Updated map:

Code: Select all

_________   / 
                           /     Ka*g5_/ Ep/
                          /     g4 l4     /     uu: t7 (unconscious)
                 ________/l6* l1      l3  \
                /   g3*Ew*    l2*          \
               /   _____ g2 g1*            |
                  /     \  Or* __          |
                         \____/  \___     /
                                     \___/   
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#303 Post by dmw71 »

Just waiting on Ewell at this point.

It's also worth noting that he does not have a light source. Fimmion did, and it remained lit on the floor from when he was first hit and dropped it, but it will not be able to provide light for a human down the western passage which is being targeted as an escape route.

This won't prevent you from continuing to proceed, but the darkness will certainly make things more difficult unless it can be remedied.
-- Project --
-- DM --

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by wolfpack »

epsilon will run full speed down the east tunnel for a minute then stop and quickly light hios lantern and procedd runnign again hoping for a branch that will lead him back around

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by onlyme »

Ewell will attempt to back into the southern wall of the western hallway, slashing the heck out of g3.
: longsword to hit (+3 str , +1class bonus): [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19 , damage1d8 (+4 str bonus): [1d8+4 ] = 7+4 = 11 (to hit 17, damge 9)

and hopefully setting up a single flanked position for next round, where Orek and dart behind him.
If that works, Orek can light something, and the two can gracefully attempt to restablish a battle front positon out of the cave, past the fields, and under the bed at the inn...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Round 9

#306 Post by dmw71 »

The creatures swarm.

Ewell takes a deliberate step south to position himself on the southern edge of the entrance to the western passage when he is targeted by three troglodytes -- one blocking the western passage and two that are able to reach him from within the chamber. His thoughts to the west, the cavalier is able to defect the javelin being thrust at him from that direction, but the two beasts on the chamber-side are able to sneak in successful pokes (-4)(-2), certainly catching his attention. Undetered, he hacks at the powerful creature blocking his exit and follows up his previous scratch with a solid slash, seriously wounding the beast.

O'rek also finds himself struggling against a trio of the vile creatures. After successfully fending off the first two attacks, the third strikes (-6). Hard. Which is how the cleric falls.

In a desperate attempt to "escape" the way it seems Epsilon did, Kaltar calls upon his divine powers and targets a 'Light' spell at the eyes of the troglodyte to his immediate left, but the creature shakes off the magical affects causing the spell to illuminate the wall behind it instead. Angered, the swamp creature jabs at Kaltar and sinks its javelin into the flesh (-8) of the cleric, leaving him feeling woozy, and no closer to his desired exit.

---

_________   / 
                           /  l1 Ka*g5_/   /
                 ________/                \
                /   g3* l6*                \
               /   ___Ew*l3  g1*           |
                  /     \g2    _l2*        |
                         \____/  \___     /
                                     \___/   
---

Rolls
R9 | Initiative (West): Troglodytes [1d10] = 3, Players [1d10] = 7
R9 | g3 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 4, [2d4] = 5
R9 | l6 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 18, [2d4] = 4
R9 | l3 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 17, [2d4] = 2
R9 | g1 vs O'rek (14+): [1d20] = 11, [2d4] = 5
R9 | g2 vs O'rek (14+): [1d20] = 8, [2d4] = 3
R9 | l2 vs O'rek (14+): [1d20] = 19, [2d4] = 6

R9 | Initiative (East): Troglodytes [1d10] = 10, Players [1d10] = 10
R9 | g5 Save vs 'Light' (16+): [1d20] = 19
R9 | l1 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 3, [2d4] = 5
R9 | g4 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 8, [2d4] = 5
R9 | l4 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 3, [2d4] = 7
R9 | g5 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 15, [2d4] = 8

---

End of round 9 for those in the chamber; Ewell and Kaltar live to fight on. Epsilon, I will move you to a new thread shortly.

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by onlyme »

Ewell, sensing the end is nigh, does the only thing such a well built fighting machine would do, keep swinging away, hoping to push westward to limit the number of concurrent attacks against him.

longsword to hit (+3 str , +1class bonus): [1d20+4] = 2+4 = 6 , damage1d8 (+4 str bonus): [1d8+4 ] = 8+4 = 12

Missing badly only allows his second swing to act more swiftly.

longsword to hit (+3 str , +1class bonus): [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18 , damage1d8 (+4 str bonus): [1d8+4 ] = 6+4 = 10 (so 16 and 8)

Meanwhile, he secretly hopes that Epsilon can remember all the heroic deeds he has done. Or else, his biography will almost seem mere myth than historical fact.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by wolfpack »

If Epsilon somehow survives which I do not think will happen he will write the next great epic of all of your heroism. Though I fully doubt there is an exit from the caves of the east tunnel branch and it will just take me deeper into the caverns.

Ever seen The Descent?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#309 Post by dmw71 »

wolfpack wrote:If Epsilon somehow survives which I do not think will happen he will write the next great epic of all of your heroism. Though I fully doubt there is an exit from the caves of the east tunnel branch and it will just take me deeper into the caverns.
Moving Epsilon only here: '25. Northeast Passage (Epsilon only!)'
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#310 Post by saalaria »

There needs to be an enquiry as to how so many rolls have gone against us in this gme. I will write to my MP/Senator etc

Kaltar attempts to cure himself:

Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 8

And if he can push past the trog in front of him...or more likely become the latest pin cushion!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Round 10

#311 Post by dmw71 »

Ewell continues to try and eliminate the westernmost troglodyte, hoping to clear his exit, but his first slash is made in haste and misses badly. The poor swing leaves the cavalier out of position to defend with his shield and the creature is able to stick the cavalier with its javelin (-4). The young knight knocks aside two more javelin strikes with his sword, but a third sneaks past his defenses (-8) and pierces the cavalier. Hope fleeting, Ewell lashes out again at the troglodyte blocking his path and connects with what proves to be a fatal blow... clearing the passageway which leads to darkness.

Across the chamber, Kaltar hurries to cast a 'Cure Light Wounds' on himself (+8) but a series of javelins, one after the other, skewers the cleric (-2)(-7)(-4) and ends the seemingly neverending nightmare.

---

_________   / 
                           /  l1 Ka*g5_/   /
                 ________/                \
                /       l6*                \
               /   ___Ew*l3  g1*           |
                  /     \g2    _l2*        |
                         \____/  \___     /
                                     \___/   
---

Rolls
R10 | Initiative (West): Troglodytes [1d10] = 6, Ewell [1d10] = 1
R10 | g3 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 16, [2d4] = 4
R10 | l6 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 5, [2d4] = 2
R10 | l3 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 20, [2d4] = 7
R10 | l3 vs Ewell (critical?): [1d20] = 10
R10 | g2 vs O'rek (15+): [1d20] = 4, [2d4] = 3

R10 | Initiative (East): Troglodytes [1d10] = 3, Kaltar [1d10] = 2
R10 | l1 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 18, [2d4] = 2
R10 | g4 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 16, [2d4] = 7
R10 | l4 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 18, [2d4] = 4
R10 | g5 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 8, [2d4] = 3

---

End of round 10 (and the end of the strength loss). And then there was one.

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#312 Post by saalaria »

"urgggghhhhh....."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#313 Post by dmw71 »

saalaria wrote:"urgggghhhhh....."
Sorry, man. :(
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by onlyme »

You know... I've been thinking... Maybe we should just call this thing a draw, huh? Do we really need more bloodshed today? How many more must he kill before they run away?

Seriously, is there any realistic way Ewell could attempt a retreat while lighting his lantern, and fighting off the trogs?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#315 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:Seriously, is there any realistic way Ewell could attempt a retreat while lighting his lantern, and fighting off the trogs?
What I can tell you is: You won't be able to do everything all at once. Lighting a lantern would be his action for the round; he couldn't also attack.

Regardless of what you ultimately attempt, this will be a very important initiative roll -- if you'd like to roll your own this round, feel free -- because both you and l6 will be fighting to control the passageway. This is what you'll need to beat:

R11 | Troglodyte: [1d10] = 8

If you win initiative, you can back away from the entrance before making your action for the round (whether it be attacking, lighting your lantern, etc...), and once inside will only draw attacks from one at a time.

Good luck!
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by onlyme »

ok, I've never faced a fleeing "re-establishing the front" at another location before, so

1)would Ewell not have moved into the corridor with the collapse of the trog last round? I thought that was the ruling from the first trog tunnel fight. Even if it was 4-5 feet, it would at least limit the attacks on him to 1 if he loses init.
2) Ewell would have some sense of the lighting available in the tunnel, ie when the natural light tapered off. It is a straight shot, once he gets around the corner from the light in the room. Would a PC be able to run in the dark in a straight line? I really dont know... Obviously, if something was coming, it is over anyway...
3) What are the fatigue guidelines? ie, is he going to collapse half way through a sprint anyway?
4) is there a defense penalty for stopping the fight to light the lantern, ie, greater to-hit or more damage?

I figure since standing and fighting is futile, and he wouldnt volunteer to fight 9 on 1, despite some youthful bravado... hasty retreat is ok... The outcome is vitally important as millions of platinum pieces ride on the authenticity of the book. Rumors are, his family has already spent much of it on a castle-based amusement park they have built in a swamp. Heads will roll if this fails :x

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#317 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:1)would Ewell not have moved into the corridor with the collapse of the trog last round? I thought that was the ruling from the first trog tunnel fight. Even if it was 4-5 feet, it would at least limit the attacks on him to 1 if he loses init.
Under normal circumstances, that would have happened. The reason I didn't move him was because last round was his two attack round. He attacked first. They attacked. Then Ewell's last action was a second attack. He wouldn't have been able to move before his second attack (obviously), and it didn't make sense that he'd be able to move afterward considering how busy a round he had.
onlyme wrote:2) Ewell would have some sense of the lighting available in the tunnel, ie when the natural light tapered off. It is a straight shot, once he gets around the corner from the light in the room. Would a PC be able to run in the dark in a straight line? I really dont know... Obviously, if something was coming, it is over anyway...
There is no natural light at all where you are now. That may change if you're able to get around the bend of this side passage, but Ewell may remember the corridor when you first entered the lair had a bit of a wave to it, so natural light filtering into the lair at all will be limited, and only as you get closer to the entrance.
onlyme wrote:3) What are the fatigue guidelines? ie, is he going to collapse half way through a sprint anyway?
I'll have to look into this, though I'd have to suspect the creatures, which share your movement rate in their native, swampy conditions will present a problem. If the decide to pursue.
onlyme wrote:4) is there a defense penalty for stopping the fight to light the lantern, ie, greater to-hit or more damage?
You would likely lose any 'Dexterity' benfits (if you have any), and might be limited with your shield.
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by onlyme »

Very well...

Ewell will attempt to back into the corridor as far as he can while still seeing what he is doing, and light his lantern. Once lit, he plans to, as put earlier, "Reestablish the front line" at the Sleeping Dragon Inn as expeditiously as possible...

and, there is no way in hades that I am rolling that init... his blood is on you... :D Besides, today is Friday the 13th, I dont trust my rolls...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#319 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:and, there is no way in hades that I am rolling that init... his blood is on you... :D Besides, today is Friday the 13th, I dont trust my rolls...
Oh, dude....
R11 | Ewell: [1d10] = 10

You had to make me do it, didn't you? :(
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by onlyme »

1) it's your blood... i washed my hands of it. dont guilt me into not guilting you.
2) shouldnt their weapon speed slow them down beyond the 2, as it is (begging)

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”