OOC Chatter

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

Re: OOC Chatter

#21 Post by Spectreman17 »

So where does everyone stand on completion?

I know Fantasychic and I are done, and I feel like a few others are 100% and just not posted to the finalized sheets page, where is everyone on completion? Anything you guys need help with?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

Here's the current, updated list as I have it:

Marullus wrote:Currently under discussion:
Fulci - Farvick, the Half-a-dwarf. A dwarf of noble lineage who turned from his destined role in society to adventure in the world and returned to make amends too late.
Born Noble --> Ardent --> [Outcast] Adventurer --> Runecaster
72 Years Old

Rusty Tincanne - Carter/Trader with deep family ties seeking a new home.
Born Guilder --> Carter --> [Clansman] Husband --> [Guilder] Trader
157 Years Old

Enoch - Chronicler/Historian. Recording the truth of this cataclysm for the annals of dwarfdom.
Born Noble --> Abdecart --> Chronicler --> [Guilder] Wordbearer
107 Years Old

FantasyChic - Female Elf opposing the Necromancer
Born Wilder Elf --> ?
1000-2000 Years Old

Dogma - Skilled Warrior, fallen as oathbreaker, seeking redemption
Born Noble --> Ardent --> Axe Bearer --> [Outcast] Oathbreaker
87 Years Old

Spectreman17 - Durgar the Coward, seeking the return of his belongings from Smaug's hoard / redeem honor in death
Born Guilder --> Hauler --> [Host] Banner Bearer --> Banner Bearer
46 Years Old

PointyEaredRogue - Glaiz Goldenhook, outcast hand-that-rocks-the-cradle
Born Clansman, Herder, Wife, Lead to Dwarven Outcast, Oathbreaker
126 Years Old

Starbeard - Old and Weary Dwarven Blacksmith
Born Guilder --> Apprentice --> Journeyman --> Trader
107 Years Old, storywise, will be 200-250 years old
FantasyChic and Spectreman17 are done.

PointyEaredRogue is close.

Rusty Tincanne, Fulci, and Enoch have almost completed sheets but still need beliefs.

Dogma and Starbeard have a good start but need to finish sheets and beliefs.

I need everyone's beliefs before I open the first scene. If we're still fine-tuning a few sheets at that point, I'm okay with it.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

Because it isn't often we have cool Tolkien news....

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/a ... WJ9UZQ2zdg
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#24 Post by FantasyChic »

Before I post in the story, how would I roll a Power roll as suggested?
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#25 Post by Spectreman17 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you roll 1d6 per point in Power (e.g. Power of B3 is 3 dice rolling 4 or better for success) plus any advantage or disadvantage dice granted situationally by the GM or via help and FoRKs (field of related knowledge) like if you have grappling skill for our exact situation. your goal with FoRKs is to justify those dice within the RP.

I don't know correct that is, so anyone care to confirm or correct it?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

You request a test.
I tell you the obstacle (I.e. number of successes required) and the consequence of failure.
You then decide your FoRKs, add in offered help by other PCs, write a narrative that takes it all into account, and roll dice, posting the results with the narrative.
You should make a blank character record in the dice roller attached to this game's ID so the rolls are all captured. Roll a number of [1d6] needed because the number on each die often matters. I think you can only roll five dice at a time, so do (and thus log) multiple rollls to account for the right dice.
If you beat the Obstacle, you narrate your success. If you lost, then I narrate your failure.

In this example, is is a proposed Power test to restrain Durgar so he cannot run out of the infirmary. I would propose this just be a "Say Yes" moment - roleplay Durgar as weakened and Ilreth simply wins and moves on with the RP. In order for a test to be used, Drumrin should state OOC what he is attempting to gain by leaping up and there must be a clear consequence to it should Ilreth win. There is then no obstacle as a VS test, but there will be conditions assigned before dice are rolled.

Make sense?
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by FantasyChic »

I get the bottom half, still a little iffy on the top.

What are FoRKs? How do they work?

Also we get to roll multiple dice? How come?
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Marullus »

FantasyChic wrote:What are FoRKs? How do they work?
FoRKs are Fields of Related Knowledge.

They don't apply in this case because Power is a Stat (and skills don't add help to stats). I'll use a different example.
Bow is a skill for you. You have G4 Bow Skill.
For each other skill you work into your narrative, you can get +1D for it on the roll. As long as it is plausibly worked into your narrative in your post, I'll allow it because this encourages you to write more, write creatively, and be well-rounded in your character.
So, in our example, you write about how she uses her superior knowledge of bows to adjust her shot in a specific way (+1D from Bow-Wise as a FoRK) and her innate understanding of the forest around her also helps her in a specific way (+1D from Forest-wise as a FoRK). She is now rolling six dice instead of four. Better chance of success! That's how FoRKs work.

As a different example, take Gilkas son of Gimkas, and put him in a situation where he's going to use his B5 Oratory to convince someone of something. Depending how he spins his tale, he could work in any number of his other knowledges - Obscure Text-wise, Ancient History, Oath-wise, Rumor-wise, Clan History, Chronology of Kings, Hold-wise, or Erebor-wise. In that case, being a long-winded smart-guy has its advantages. He has a lot of facts to draw on in making his argumentation.

It is not always wise to do this, however. Leaning on your other areas of expertise makes you more likely to succeed, but with such crutches, less likely to advance the skill in question. Advancing requires Difficult and Challenging tests (i.e. tests where passing the obstacle is a real challenge with the number of dice rolled). That's a whole other topic, though.
FantasyChic wrote:Also we get to roll multiple dice? How come?
Yes. First, go to the die roller in the upper right corner of this page.
Then, go to the Roll the Dice link and you can roll dice, picking Ilreth from the drop-down, and they'll attach to the campaign.

You COULD roll them all at once. (Black shade succeed on a 4 or better. Grey shade succeed on a 3 or better.)
Burning Wheel Dice Test [4d6s4] = 3
On that roll, using [4d6s4] or 4 Dice, 6 Sides, 4 or better for success, I got 3 successes.

BUT, after you roll, you have the option to spend a Fate point. If you rolled 6 on any one die, you can keep that success and re-roll the die to try for an additional success. If you do not roll the dice individually, you do not know if any were 6's.
Burning Wheel Dice Test [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3
So, on this roll, I rolled 4 dice. I for one success, but it was a 6. So, I could spend a Fate point if I wanted to reroll that one die and try for more successes.
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by Fulci »

Sorry, had some weird login problems (seems to be working now?), will post today!
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

Welcome back!
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by Fulci »

They kept on going, weird stuff, probably the Cookie Monster screwed up my cookie setting :lol:
G A M E S :

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#32 Post by Fulci »

Okay, my first IC post is up.

Unfortunately, the PCs I was planning to connect aren't ready yet, so I'll start with my NPC relation, then slowly get to know the other PCs!
G A M E S :

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by Fulci »

I'm awfully busy these days! I'll post on Wednesday. Sorry for the delay!
G A M E S :

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#34 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Hey all :)

I'm starting finals this week and next at school, so my posts will be few and far between during that time. Sorry. :( I've also been slow because of the holiday this past weekend but I will post tonight after class and try to keep up with it as much as I can.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
-Carl Sagan

Glaiz Goldenhook, The Rise of Smaug [BW]
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for letting us know. Good luck with finals! :D

The "three posts a week" isn't holding up well for anyone, it seems. We'll keep moving forward as fast as you guys wish. I'm a daily poster, so you are setting your own pace. ;)
Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#36 Post by Spectreman17 »

I'm in the same boat as pointyearedrogue. though I'm also procrastinating in hopes of a few more helping dice (my b3 isn't going far against Ob6.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Starbeard »

Marullus wrote:
Starbeard wrote:The haggard dwarf listens with some distant interest, but eventually turns back to the fire and the elf to mutter something gruff about the impertinence of Dalefolk. In surprise, his muttering is cut short when Whit hops up and bounds over to the commotion, offering up the roast as a peace bribe. Niping bolts upright with a burst of energy and shakes a broad finger at Whit.

'Now hear, woodsman! That is not a token to be given off so hastily! Though everyone here is going hungry, yet there were already folk here at the fire, with little enough left for you to be tossing rabbit about as though they swam up from the lake into pots and pans. Those Dalefolk have given themselves their own problems if they have tried cheating the Ironpulls in a trade, for the Ironpulls are more than capable of handling their own affairs.'
Starbeard wrote:'Ah! Such petulance in men,' gasps Niping to himself, shocked at how quickly the confrontation has escalated into violence. With a reactionary step back his heel kicks at a stone around the fire, reminding him of the fire and its warm food, a luxury he has not experienced since the attack. Using the chaos of the brawl as a distraction, the aging dwarf stoops greedily to the fire, picking bits of rabbit and vegetable and shovel them into his mouth as quickly as possible, heedless of burnt tongue and fingers. After only a few small bites, however, he witnesses the fight spilling into the Ironpull camp—not too distant from his own wagon. With a leap and a cry Niping is up and bounding through the brawl. 'Not one of you touches my camp! Away! Away with you all!'
Instincts:
  • Never works on an empty stomach
Kudos! This is some fantastic Embodiment. :) I am loving watching this.
Thanks! I'm enjoying seeing all the interpersonal conflict right out of the gate, such a gripping game. :)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Marullus »

Glad you're enjoying it!

I was going to make a "Feedback to the GM" thread at the end of Chapter One, but we can just discuss here.

What I'd like to know:
  • Are you having fun?
  • Are the rules making sense?
  • Do you need more/less rules guidance moving forward? (I'm providing a lot of mechanics to help the learning curve and want to know if it is helpful and/or needed)
  • What do you like?
  • What are you not liking?
Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#39 Post by Spectreman17 »

Marullus wrote:Glad you're enjoying it!

I was going to make a "Feedback to the GM" thread at the end of Chapter One, but we can just discuss here.

What I'd like to know:
  • Are you having fun?
  • Are the rules making sense?
  • Do you need more/less rules guidance moving forward? (I'm providing a lot of mechanics to help the learning curve and want to know if it is helpful and/or needed)
  • What do you like?
  • What are you not liking?
Yes, I'm having fun.
The rules are just fine
The mechanic help is wonderful, I imagine even more so for the players that are 100% new to the game, seeing as they even help me at my experience level.
I like the challenge level of the tests so far and the general story telling from the group.
I dislike the tempo. I haven't heard from Glaiz or Ilreth in a significant period of time (I might be wrong and there might be others, but those two stand out). Perhaps we should do a roll call to see if people are just busy with the holiday season, or if they have lost interest.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Starbeard »

Merry Christmas everyone!

I'll second most of Spectre's observations: I'm happy with the game, and appreciate the level of rules guidance. Marullus is great at walking through the rules while pushing the game forward at the same time.

I'll be away for the weekend, obviously, and then I'll make a more in-depth response.

Return to “2015 Archive”