20. Recovering at the Sleeping Dragon

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 20. Recovering at the Sleeping Dragon

#21 Post by wolfpack »

Epsilon will join shennaigans while he transcribes spells sitting in the baxck and quietly observing what he does.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Zhym »

Kendrick awakens early and begins his daily meditations on the Virtues. This morning's subject: the tension between valor, compassion, honesty, and humility. Does one seek healing for one's injuries? Valor would dictate not: the brave should persevere through such things. Compassion suggests that others' wounds should be treated before one's own. Humility means admitting when one is not at his full abilities. Honesty requires admitting that he is injured—and that he is not injured badly. He resolves that he should make his condition known but not seek healing unless the party is soon to venture into danger.

He rejoins the others in the common area. "Who is this Darrin? Might I try to assist with his injuries?" If he is allowed, he will lay on hands to do what little he can to help him.

"By the way," he adds, "I'm also bruised a bit, and I should either rest a while or receive some healing of my own if we are to head into battle. Speaking of which, what are these 'lizzies' I hear you tangled with?"

Finally, he approaches Ferrell. "Thank you for your hospitality. An inn's soft bed is most welcome after long travels. Tell me, is there a church of a lawful good faith in town, or an orphanage, or poor house, or some other worthy charity? I don't have much to donate, but I must give what I can."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Next Morning

#23 Post by dmw71 »

Waking early Epsilon puts on clean clothes and takes time to brush his hair and braid his long goatee. He washes off his armor and then heads downstairs and wearily takes a seat and orders eggs and toasted bread. Grim wakes next; his natural healing ability granting him a small bit of extra strength (+1). Looking to stick to himself, he climbs to the roof of the inn and looks toward the far off trog cave in case they rally while performing maintenance on his weapons. Slowly, the rest of the group members file downstairs and begin to assemble.

The clerics get right to healing:
Epsilon exhausts the limits of his daily healing, revitalizing Gwillt twice (+6, +5), himself (+8) and Ewell (+4) once each.

Kaltar heals himself twice (+5, +4) and examines the condition of the other party members as he still has two spells remaining.

O'rek casts a 'Cure Light Wounds' on himself (+7) and joins Kaltar in assessing who else needs the most assistance with his three remaining spells. The cleric, looking to replace his mace, is informed by
Gwillt that his best chance will probably be to pay a visit to the Reap & Seed.

Kendrick (+6, from Strom) and Strom (+2, from Kendrick) will use their 'lay on hands' abilities on each other [/ooc](a bit of DM-enforced meta-gaming)[/ooc] bring them to full, and almost full, health and allowing the clerics to focus their efforts elsewhere.

While the group relaxes during breakfast and undergoes the various healings, Shannigans and Epsilon slink off into a corner and Epsilon produces Garth's old spellbook for the halfling to examine and transcribe from.

---

Garth had the following spells: Armor, Hold Portal, Identify, Magic Missile and Sleep (only 'Magic Missile' is a duplicate)

For each spell above that Shannigans attempts to copy into his own spellbook, he will need to check against his 'Chance to learn spell' percentage, which is 65%. Stonjuz, please use the following macros to determine whether or not Shannigans is able to learn each spell, where 01-65 equals success and 66-00 means you're unable to learn that spell at this time:

Learn Armor?: [1d100]
Learn Hold Portal?: [1d100]
Learn Identify?: [1d100]
Learn Sleep?: [1d100]

I don't want to bog down the game or hold Shannigans back so, at least for right now, I will rule that to copy a spell from another spellbook or from a scroll will take one hour per level of the spell being copied (e.g. 1st level spell = 1 hour; 2nd level spell = 2 hours; etc...), so Shannigans is looking at a four hour task. That time will be spent for each spell attempted, regardless of whether or not the spell can be learned or not.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by dmw71 »

saalaria wrote:Dave can you let me know once hp thread fully updated?
The updates to the Hit Points and Signature threads are complete. Here is a quick snapshot of the health of the group:

Strom
Full health

Gwillt
12 hit points (17 damage)

Shannigans
6 hit points (2 damage)

Ewell
15 hit points (21 damage)

Kaltar
18 hit points (6 damage)

Epsilon
15 hit points (7 damage)

Grimnail
12 hit points (8 damage)

O'rek
14 hit points (3 damage)

Fimmion
Full health

Kendrick
11 hit points (1 damage)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by Alethan »

It looks like Epsilon and O'rek could be brought to full on the next day with Strom's and Ken's LOH abilities, respectively, after another night's rest.

Also, if Grim continues to administer aid to the others throughout the day (not sure how often that needs to be done or whatever), then everyone should receive an additional +1 recovered hit point, is that correct? That would put Shanny at full in the morrow, as well. Ken would get to full naturally.

That just leaves Kaltar (-6), Ewell (-21), and Gwillt (-17). They would be -4, -19, and -15 (respectively) the following morning.

So... O'rek has three CLW left for the current day? Maybe use one on Kaltar to try and give him at least 4 pts of healing (which means he would be full up the next day) and then use the rest on Gwillt.

Gwillt will, of course, suggest using one spell on him and one on Ewell, but Ewell, being the tough and stoic glorious cavalier that he is, will flat out refuse it and implore, nay, DEMAND Gwillt takes it. So he will.

;)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rukellian »

After having finished his meal and double checking to make sure everything is peaceful thus far in O'Hare, Fimmion will also pull out his book and start flipping through its pages. While doing so, he scans its contents, half reciting some to himself silently, and half checking to his notes page for further inspiration. If someone passes by while he does this in the middle of the room, all the person would see is a bunch of fanciful recipes, handwritten with a bunch of side notes here and there. Though as he goes throgh this cookbook of sorts, only Fimmion truly knows the significance of what is written inside, a code if you will. This is his research time, though no results are actually expected. He is doing it for fun.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:So... O'rek has three CLW left for the current day? Maybe use one on Kaltar to try and give him at least 4 pts of healing (which means he would be full up the next day) and then use the rest on Gwillt.

Gwillt will, of course, suggest using one spell on him and one on Ewell, but Ewell, being the tough and stoic glorious cavalier that he is, will flat out refuse it and implore, nay, DEMAND Gwillt takes it. So he will.

;)
Ewell looks around and see that most folks are looking somewhat presentable if they asked to fight. He asks that any cleric who can still heal, to heal the feeble ranger cowering in the corner.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by Alethan »

Gwillt gladly takes the heals... Then continues to whittle the stick in his hand, a gift to Ewell to replace his lost lance...

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by saalaria »

Kaltar attempts to heal Gwilt:

Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 5

And Ewell by stating "You are no good to us unless you are at full health, Ewell":

Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 7

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by dmw71 »

Kaltar uses his last two healing spells of the day on Gwiltt (+5) and Ewell (+7).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by Stonjuz »

Shannigans takes a short break, for another frosted sweetbread and looks in on Gwilt. He sees that the human is up, whittling and smiling. Happily, the halfling goes back to his book.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by Computer +1 »

Strom spent most of the evening and the following morning deep in prayer. The battle and his part in it left him seeking guidance and giving thanks to his god.

After, as indicated by Dave, Strom uses his healing ability to lend a hand.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by wolfpack »

Epsilon will use his cure moderate wounds on gwilt ewell and himself.

gwilt - [2d8] = 11

ewell - [2d8] = 14

himself - [2d8] = 9

spells exhausetd epsilon will spend time witn senanigans discussing some of te finer points of spell componanets.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by Stonjuz »

Shannigans lets the mispronunciation of his name twice go by. It lingers into time again, twice now Epsilon has called him by one of his brother's names. Heeheehee. He giggles a peep as he considers letting the mistake possibly grow into rumor. He looks about to the others to see if any nearby could also be in misunderstanding of the mistaken identity. He realizes this is the group that destiny has laid out for him and corrects Epsilon, not wanting to loose out on his own reputation to one of his siblings.
"I'm SHANNIGANS. Shenannigans and Senanigans couldnt cast a spell to save their arse. Hahaha."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by tooleychris »

Grim will continue to look in on the rest of the party occasionally, tending any wounds he might be able to speed up the healing process for. He maintains a vigil on the roof during the rest of his free time, to keep an eye on the surroundings for trog (or goblin) activity.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by dmw71 »

Epsilon uses his newly earned, and more powerful healing spells on Gwiltt (+11), Ewell (+14) and himself (+9) before returning to discuss arcane magic with Shannigans.

Grimnail climbs down from the roof and checks in on the party. Seeing how a few still have minor wounds, the barbarian applies his first aid knowledge in order to speed up the healing process. After realizing the group is mostly healthy and more relaxed, he returns to his rooftop perch in order to keep an eye on the surroundings for any sign of unexpected activity.

With the exception of the distrusting barbarian, the remainder of the group, including the withdrawn Darrin, is completely healed between the spells from O'rek and Kaltar. Ferrell, after learning of your efforts, assures the group that they will have free room-and-board for as long as they need it. O'rek, seeking a replacement mace, pays a visit to the still very damaged Reap & Seed and discovers a suitable replacement in its inventory. While apologetic, Harold is not in the position to be as charitable as Ferrell and refuses to part with it for less than full price -- 8 gold pieces. "A lot of new expenses, you know?" he says. (ravenn4544, just let me know if you're willing/able to purchase the mace and update your character sheet accordingly).

---

With the free room-and-board available, and full out of healing spells, the group spends a second, uneventful night in the 'Sleeping Dragon'. Grim, the following morning, is able to perform his non-magic brand of first aid upon himself (+2).

---

Feel free to let me know if there are any other actions you'd like to take before turning in for the assumed extra night of rest. Otherwise, let me know what the group plans to do.

Also, and this is important, from this point forward, if multiple healing spells are being rolled at the same time, the recipients name must be included in the roll itself. For instance:

Cure Light Wounds on (name): [1d8]

If no name is specified, I will determine how the roll(s) will be applied.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#37 Post by Alethan »

Finished with his whittling project, Gwillt hands Ewell a small replica of a lance and says, "Here, kid, in case ya break another weapon..."

Then he stands and stretches, happy with his speedy recovery after the attention of the party clerics and the barbarian. "Alright," he continues, "time to get serious. We need to make sure those trogs have either moved on or are completely gone or..." He shrugs, "Or we go Round Three. We leave any of them alive now, and they'll surely come back for retribution. Not sure this town will survive another attack like that last one..."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by ravenn4544 »

I will take the mace. thanks. .

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Finished with his whittling project, Gwillt hands Ewell a small replica of a lance and says, "Here, kid, in case ya break another weapon..."
Is this meant to be like a gag/prop, or a functional weapon?

This action actually led me to look into lances a bit, with a few excerpts from my findings below:

Purple Worm > Arms and Equipment Guide > Chapter 3: Weapons > Lance

"Generally, the lance is a long shaft of tough wood, usually ash, with an iron head in the shape of a laurel or willow leaf, with cutting edges and a sharp point meant to penetrate armor."

"The difference between the light, medium, and heavy, lances stems from the length (10' for a light, 12' for a medium, and 14' for a heavy), and weight (five pounds, ten pounds, and fifteen pounds for light, medium, and heavy respectively)."

I'm fine if Gwillt wanted to spend some time tracking down the materials (mainly, a long and straight enough stick) and craft a usable lance, but would rule that the light lance created would lose it's +1 damage (while mounted) or suffer -1 damage (while on foot; which will counter the natural +1 the cavalier would normally receive, leaving it a normal 1d6 weapon).
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:I will take the mace.
Weapon updated in Signature. I will also add the lance back to Ewell's inventory as well.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”