OOC Lounge

Tamerlaine
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Lounge

#21 Post by Stirling »

Sorry, I made three posts to represent going to three separate locations. I wanted a fourth, to go find a ranger to guide us. How much would a ranger cost to hire? Is one available?
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by The_Wanderer »

Tamerlaine wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:14 am This is not starting out well and it’s my fault. It’s 2:08 am and I just got home from the ER. I was having trouble breathing and I put it off too long thinking it were just allergies. Nope, I’ve got fluid around my lungs and I’m scheduled to see my cardiologist on Monday.

I’m going to get some sleep and get back on track later in the day. Sorry for the inconvenience.
It's easier to have a slow start than to stop in the middle. Hope you're feeling better and let us know when things start to improve for you.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

This is not starting out well and it’s my fault. It’s 2:08 am and I just got home from the ER. I was having trouble breathing and I put it off too long thinking it were just allergies. Nope, I’ve got fluid around my lungs and I’m scheduled to see my cardiologist on Monday.
Hope all is well with the health concerns.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Tamerlaine »

Spearmint wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:57 pm
This is not starting out well and it’s my fault. It’s 2:08 am and I just got home from the ER. I was having trouble breathing and I put it off too long thinking it were just allergies. Nope, I’ve got fluid around my lungs and I’m scheduled to see my cardiologist on Monday.
Hope all is well with the health concerns.
Thanks. Had both the Echo and a nuclear stress test. Now the waiting for the results.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by The_Wanderer »

Hey Tamerlaine - How detailed do you want to be with handling rations for overland travel?
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Tamerlaine »

Guess I've got some 'splaining to do.

I had two blockages. One was hard/calcified and required a special diamond bit that had to be ordered. I had a little complication but nothing too serious. I'm home and i've got some catching up to do. I know its been slow going but I'm hoping to get things rolling. If anyone has left, well, I get it. Those that are still with this, thanks for your patience with this sickly old grognard.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Spearmint »

Glad to know. Hope you didn't mind me reaching out.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by Tamerlaine »

Spearmint wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:08 am Glad to know. Hope you didn't mind me reaching out.
No, not at all.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by Tamerlaine »

I’ll be on the Redeye flight home tonight and will be posting tomorrow.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

March and Watch Order

#30 Post by The_Wanderer »

March - Snowdrop would never be first in the march order...more likely second to last.

Watch Order - Snowdrop has infravision so can be one of the late night watches.
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by kwll »

Han would volunteer to be right in the middle for both the march and watch orders.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Stirling »

We are following Auge the ranger and Fochelle will be right behind him.

to be honest though, I don't really get the need for marching orders while exploring an open wilderness. Okay in a narrow 5ft wide dungeon corridor where the first person might trigger a trap or pit but in an exterior setting, surely an ambushing archer or predatory creature can randomise between the group who they might attack first.

As for night watches, just pair us up and do a two hour rota each. I don't mind going first, second, third or last. By preference I would choose first shift.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Spearmint »

Spiridon

I will march at the rear, usually bow in hand. I don't mind taking the early morning watch.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by Tamerlaine »

Have infection and fever. Give me a day or two.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by tarlyn »

Real life is a pain,, Bowing out of all games....
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by Tamerlaine »

tarlyn wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:59 am Real life is a pain,, Bowing out of all games....
That sucks. Hope things get better for you.

Turned out I had a coronary stent infection and it was serious. I should be released tomorrow. Tarlyn is out and no thanks to me and my shitty health this game got off to a rocky start. I’m still game to run this and so I want to get your honest opinions on this game.
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by kwll »

My opinion? The show must go on!

We are not among those who let these pesky health issues go in the way of good entertainment. 8-)
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Stirling »

Tarlyn has left a number of games so I wouldn't take this personally. As to health issues, I note your well documented fight with diabetes issues and I know Spearmint (Kris) has had several years of chemo, so players and GM's alike have peaks and troughs for investing time in online games.

The key is communicating if any absence will be temporary so players can adjust posting expectations. Personally I think a twice weekly update keeps everyone invested and roleplaying, especially if we are in an encounter or combat scene.

I note your post in the Looking for Players regarding G.G's Dwarrowdeep module. I would say that you need to look at what commitment you can give to games, if Highfell developes and another group of players get added to the campaign world then you will have to increase time behind the scenes to run this game. Can you commit to running both? Rather than running two similar themed games with one update a week, can you run one game with two updates? Three? I have been playing in Barrowmaze game for over one year with twenty other players and there have been more than a dozen wilderness expeditions and yet only 5 mounds and 20 subterranean passages have been uncovered in that time. I suspect Highfell is built on a similar scale, lots of explorations and retreating back to a safe haven to rest and research. So this game should be viewed as a few years worth of investment.

I don't think it goes down well to halt a game but then open a new one shortly after. I would recommend recruiting some new players for this game to fill out the class/skill combinations of the group or to have a second team adventure out.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Spearmint »

I am enjoying the chance to roleplay a character as normally I run games rather than participate. I would echo a lot of what has been said. Certainly in regards to everyone staying whole and healthy.

As far as Highfell is concerned, I would encourage folk to post frequently, keep suggesting ideas for the group, use their class skills, post specific actions; basically be proactive as a character so that we give Tamerlaine things to act upon, rather than wait for GM lead clues and directions. But other than 'marshalling the troops', I think we are all experienced enough to gel as a team.

Like Stirling said, the campaign is one needing a long commitment as it is an open world set up not a linear dungeon crawl so we should be prepared for a long haul and possibly creating multiple characters as attrition through death/misadventure takes its toll.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by Tamerlaine »

I really appreciate the feedback from you guys. Hopefully what I've got to say is coherent as I've been feeling a little loopy.

We lost a guy, that makes three in the party. I can put in a recruitment post and see if anyone nibbles.

Or...

Using the same three characters and the LL AEC ruleset, I put in a thread recruiting for Darrowdeep where there is interest by I think, three players. The setting for Dwarrowdeep is like the next valley over from the Brine. Perhaps the henge you were investigating somehow is activated and you're sent to another henge within the Dwarrowdeep setting where the new players will be. Then it's on to Dwarrowdeep!

I've made it clear before on another thread that I am super stoked about Darrowdeep. I backed it and after reading it, it is better than Highfell IMHO. I also want to run it because it's new and I'd be the first to run it on Unseen Servant. Now that being said, I made a committment to running Highfell with you and that still stands. I'm good with either and I'll not guilt you into Dwarrowdeep. I don't think I can do both settings/different parties though for a while I tricked myself into thinking that I could (I wanted to have my cake and eat it too).

This is a situation that in being fair to all (and communicatiing), I leave the decision to my three players to choose. I'll do Dwarrowdeep if the consent is unanimous. If not, then its back to Highfell and putting out a recruitment post.

I'm not proofreding this because I'm so f*ing sleepy. Get back at me soon as I want to get things rolling again.

Return to “Highfell: The Drifting Dungeon (LL)”