Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

#181 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Knatchbull scrambles to his feet and take cover behind a tree (if possible). He will quickly look around for the longest, heaviest piece of wood he can find. He'll wait behind the tree and when the hobgoblin gets close enough take a wild swing to try and dismount the pursuer/knock them out.

I'm not sure what to roll for that
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Spearmint »

Knatchbull, you can give me a normal [1d20+str] attack roll and I will adjust for 'non-lethal damage if you are not using your weapons.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#183 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

Encouraging his Worg on, Fapp attempts to back track and rush the Hobgoblin head on! Swinging his sling and gathering speed he lets loose a stone at the Hobgoblin

hoping for a direct shot. Unknown if the Worg understands him, he talks to it in a happy, friendly voice attempting to appear calm "We need to take care of

that Hobgoblin my furry friend. Think you can knock him off or even better yet make your Worg buddy help us, ignoring the Hobgoblin on it?"

Sling shot at Hobgoblin [1d20]=10

Oh well at least he tried lol....
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#184 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Spearmint wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:55 am Knatchbull, you can give me a normal [1d20+str] attack roll and I will adjust for 'non-lethal damage if you are not using your weapons.

My damage bonus is +3
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Spearmint »

Escaping Bresnan's Ranch

Hobgoblin Sgt' orcbow vs Fapp [1d20]=6 [1d6]=2

The warg archer charges towards the duo. He knows he has hit one and seen the man roll off his mount. He aims for Fapp, his arrow flying high and wide, much the same as the halfling's sling stone. However before he can nock a second shaft, he is struck by a branch across the torso.

Hobgoblin Sgt' [4d6]=18 vs 11

The blow topples him from his saddle and he hits the dirt. As he raises himself up he smiles at Knatchbull then says "Foolish boy, stealing the Chieftain's wargs. You will cause trouble no more and they will feed on your flesh.

Kozan, kill."
he commands his warg which snarls and circles the half-orc with predatory steps.

initiative [1d6] and attacks please.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#186 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

Initiative [1d6]=2

Distracting Attack to help Knatchbull [1d20]=2

This will not end well hahahahhahahahhaahhahah .... hoo boy here goes nothing

The little Halfling, inspired by his new found prowess with his steed, rushes the Hobgoblin and his Worg.

Unsure how to relay his intention to his Worg he tries anyways!

"ATTACK" he tells the Worg when they are close enough and tensing, he jumps off the beast directly at the Hobgoblin,

hoping to surprise him at the least or even knock him back, away from his pal Knatchbull.

"Keep away from my buddy you ugly son of a whore!"
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#187 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Not wanting to give the hobgoblin a chance to recover, Knatchbull will smash the tree limb one more time onto the head of the downed rider. Better to have just the worg to worry about

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Spearmint »

Escaping the Ranch

Attacking quicker, Knatchbull clouts the hobgoblin guard again, knocking him back. Fapp leaps from his mount to assault him further and they both end up grappling on the floor before the halfling is rolled aside and the hobgoblin releases an arrow at him. He misses and draws a dagger to taunt with.

The archer's warg snarls and pounces at Knatchbull, commanded to attack, trained to obey.

Wolf attack. [1d20]=6 [2d4]=7

It leaps but misses and begins to circle the tree you are backed up against in a predatory manner.

Hobgoblin Sgt' orcbow vs Fapp [1d20]=4 [1d6]=3

The pair duel against warg and rider. next attacks please.
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#189 Post by maceo_the_escher »

can Knatchbull pull his axe out as part of his next turn or does he miss his turn?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Spearmint »

no, you can attack.
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#191 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Spearmint »

Escaping the Ranch

The encounter comes to a dramatic climax. Fapp and the hobgoblin trade blows. Twice the taller humanoid fumbles against the nimble opponent.

Knatchbull and the warg both circle each other, the tree a good barrier between them as each pounces to strike only for the opponent to dodge and riposte with blade or claw.

The two animals though are ultimately trained killers. After dismounting with a leap at the hobgoblin, Fapp's warg snarls at the figure and snaps at his heels, bearing the big figure to the ground. hobgoblin -7hp The other warg pounces upon the half-orc, almost bearing him prone and tearing through his protective armours to claw and bite his upper torso. Knatchbull -4hp

Hobgoblin Sgt' attacks Fapp [1d20+1]=1+1=2 [1d4+1]=4+1=5

Hobgoblin Sgt' attacks Fapp [1d20+1]=1+1=2 [1d4+1]=4+1=5

Fapp Wolf attack. [1d20]=20 [2d4]=7

Warg vs Knatchbull attack. [1d20]=20 [2d4]=4

Hobgoblin Sgt' attacks warg [1d20+1]=15+1=16 [1d4+1]=2+1=3

Warg vs hobgoblin. [1d20+2]=11+2=13 [2d4]=8

Warg vs Knatchbull [1d20]=5 [2d4]=3

The archer is savaged, though he stabs back at the warg, it rips out his throat. Its kin cannot repeat the act upon Knatchbull and the two adventurers can hack and slash it.

attacks and actions please. Can Fapp give me two rolls as I updated in lieu of your attack for this round.

I usually roll advance attacks so I can script a draft to the next update but as you can see from the macro's, apart from this present round's attack on Knatchbull, the following ones would miss so it can be pertinent to post them and let you guys get in a couple of attacks each before I call for a new phase. If you can kill it drive off this worg you can pretty much escape back to Helix and I will wrap this expedition up with you guys reporting to the mercenary guild and tally up some XP rewards.

Trying to push this along to a conclusion as I have my chemo Monday so will probably away from keyboard a couple of days which will give you time to roleplay in the village or talk to other adventurers in the tavern threads.

Attachments
Warg archer chasing you
Warg archer chasing you
img417744f44bb03.jpg (26.53 KiB) Viewed 717 times
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#193 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

[1d20]=12 2 rolls one here
2nd roll [1d20]=7

Well I rolled [2d20] but that wouldn't be accurate.

P.S Fapp wouldn't kill the Hobgobbie but he is realistic and allows his Worg to kill their foe so they can better get out of here and back to Helix
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#194 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull is furious after receiving his wounds. He takes his anger out on his worg opponent.

+3 damage (from strength)
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Spearmint »

Escaping the Ranch:

The Aftermath: May 3rd 1066

super critical hit.

With a bonus for flanking the warg and getting in a rear attack, Fapp stabs the beast that is mauling Knatchbull. It howls, releasing it's grip on the half-orc who takes full advantage and cleaves it open, slicing throat to shoulder in a strike any abattoir would be proud out. A spray of hot steamy blood gushes forth.

remember to include any bonuses in your macros and include your weapon damage as well to save me looking things up.

A long way behind you, lantern lights and calls echo through the forest. It is time to move on. You leave the dead hobgoblin and warg where they fell, (you take take the archer's shortbow).

Riding a warg into Helix may not be the most prudent thing. Fapp stares down the creature once more, a feral intelligence and lupine cunning in both your eyes. Cutting it free of the saddle, the beast runs into the forest, it stops at the dense fringe, looks back and then disappears though you have a feeling you may see it again sometime. For now though is free of being restrained and burdened. Now you both need to do the same. Running quickly a couple of miles down the deer tracks and you arrive in Helix, bloodied and bruised with some tales to tell.

And so, your first expedition to infiltrate Bresnan's Ranch terminates here with you returning to 'civilization'. I will go through the expedition and make note of the XP rewards and list the treasure trove, scant though it is.

You next action should be to report to Osen at the guild. Give him an account of what you did, we can roleplay that out.

During the next week, from your return until May 10th, the guild will host you at their expense so you can recover to full health as well. It also means the 'heat' on searching for you lessens and certainly no ill will befalls you in the village. Once outside that, any 'agents of Bresnan' may consider you 'fair game'.

Post as well in the Brazen Strumpet Tavern thread, stick a post dated May 11th and go talk to other adventurers who are recruiting for another expedition.

any last actions and comments in relation to the expedition post here.

post in the mercenary guild thread you arrival and report

post in the Brazen Strumpet Tavern thread to interact with other characters.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Spearmint »

Here is a summary of your expedition and the relevant rewards. Please let me know if I have missed anything out:

Exploration

Roleplay in the Brazen Strumpet Tavern to get the task and journey to Bresnan's Ranch Stockade. two hexes. 100xp.

Join Red Stag hunt, learn of temple under mound from goblin. 25xp

Discover note of Xavier to Nadine. 25xp

Discover Far Barn tunnel. 25xp, encounter with drunk hobgoblins to avoid fight. 25xp.

Stealth & bribery to exit stockade. 25xp.

Escape stockade on wargs and get back to Helix. 50xp.

Encounters

Kill deer with critical on Stag hunt 25xp.

Cosh hobgoblin guard unconscious. 25xp

Burn centipede swarm. 25xp.

Fight off two hobgoblins and guards at Far Barn, slay Hobgoblin Sgt' archer. 130xp.

Ride away on wargs, kill one warg, empathetic barbarian link to another warg. 570xp.

nothing for being enchanted by scarecrow and each receiving a phobia, being scared of a dead cat and while you rescued Xavier, he was later abandoned to his fate.

Additional Rewards

Each player receives 100xp roleplay bonus.
My wife's reward of 101xp to each character in play on her birthday.

Experience Points Awarded

Fapp gains 726xp
Knatchbull with 10% prime requisite bonus gains 788xp

bonus XP of 25 each if you can remember the name of the goblin in your report to Osen and also name the sub-chief of the Hobgoblins.

Treasure & Trove

Osen agreed to give you both +30gp for taking on the task and will multiply that by the quality of intelligence provided in your report.

Shortbow. (Taken by Fapp'?)

Trinkets from skulls:
a) burnished gold ring resembling a coiled serpent.
b) 5 gemstones gaming dice, one with pictorials on.
c) Ettin double-headed gold coin.

Cloth rubbing of strange runes in tunnel.

decide who takes what trove.

please adjust sheets to show you XP totals. You both need 2001xp to increase in level.

any comments or discussions?
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#197 Post by maceo_the_escher »

My wife's reward of 101xp to each character in play on her birthday.

Happy Birthday!

Extra OOC: I literally used the wrong melee weapon the whole time-I have a Bastard Sword (so I can switch between 1H and 2H) not a Battle Axe...Deduct XP for me being an idiot.

PPS: I WASN'T afraid of the CAT!!!
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#198 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

Sorry for my absence my wife was operated on and had a pacemaker installed , she is only 42 but those are the dice we are thrown sometimes.

Adjusted my sheet for XP.

Fapp would hand over the fabric he copied the symbols on to Osen.

As for anything else he would have shared it with his pal Knatchbull even if his buddy was against him taking it.

Fapp took the bow.

Shall post in the thread tomorrow if that is okay.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Spearmint »

Ok. If there are no more comments and you accept the XP awards, I will move this to the completed expeditions thread.

Trinkets: how does this sound.

Fapp takes burnished ring in serpent design
Knatchbull takes gemstone gaming dice and double headed Ettin coin.

Make on your inventory please.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”