Campaign Discussion

Antman9
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Campaign Discussion

#161 Post by Zhym »

Antman9 wrote:
Jack wrote:Can we only include 1 skill die per pool, even if we have several skills that apply? Also only 1 specialty, and only 1 distinction die? But several dice lent from other PCs?
That is correct. Each dice pool consists of:
TAKING AN ACTION (PG 235)
When you decide to take an action, you roll the appropriate Attribute dice (plus) the appropriate Skill dice (plus any optional dice) and keep the highest two. The total is compared to that of the opponent, if your total is higher you win.

The Dice Pool will always have:
  • Attribute die
  • Skill die
The Dice Pool may also have:
  • Specialty die
  • Distinction die
  • Signature Asset
  • Assets in favor of your Crewmember
  • Complications in favor of your Crewmember
  • Scale die (if you have the advantage)
  • Skill dice lent to you by other Crewmembers
  • Big Damn Hero Die
Hm. That has me wondering about the value of Perform as a skill (especially with a specialty added). I think it comes down to whether there will be any situations in which Gideon is Performing but not trying to Influence. If not, it'd probably be better to put those points somewhere else. What do you think?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Marullus »

I imagined it coming into play for maintaining a Cover; that could just as easily be a form of Trick.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Zhym »

I'd been thinking of skills as complementary: e.g., in a run-in with the alliance or corporate types, Gideon would use his Knowledge of law and skill at Influential negotiating, with perhaps a bit of Trickery and/or Performance thrown in for good measure. But that's not how it works. The skills are alternatives for different situations. So sometimes he's useful by Knowing the law. In other situations, his training helps him Negotiate non-legal matters. If the law doesn't help and negotiation goes nowhere, maybe he can help through Trickery ("If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...").

I'm not sure yet how that influences the character build, but right now I'm thinking of allocating points for specializations and signature assets as follows:

Specializations
Know: d12 (Law) (Free)
Notice: d10 (Deception)

Signature Assets
Cortex Tablet (d8): In addition to its other uses, this grants access to LexLaw, the most comprehensive legal database in the 'Verse.
Well-Networked (d6): Gideon has extensive connections in the upper echelons of the corporations of the core as a result of his time as a white-shoe lawyer.
Alliance Ident Card (d6)

Question: Would "Alliance Ident Card" largely duplicate the effects of having business connections?
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#164 Post by Antman9 »

Zhym wrote:Question: Would "Alliance Ident Card" largely duplicate the effects of having business connections?
I don't think so. I kind of see them as separate things. The Ident Card would give him status and eliminate a bunch of questions from the Alliance (officials, the law, etc.) Whereas the Business connections would give him assets in the business community to pull strings, get detailed information, etc.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Zhym »

Okay. I've updated Gideon's sheet accordingly.

As for background, I'm thinking he worked for a fancy law firm and was a JAG officer (possibly reserve) for the Alliance during the Unification War (hence the ident card). What he's doing with this bunch...well, I'm not so sure about that part.

Or here's a wild thought. Do you expect the Blue Sun Corporation to figure in this game at all? If so, it might be interesting if Gideon had some connection there. Or maybe that complicates things too much?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Marullus »

Assets appears to be the only thing that is "use all that apply." One reason I prefer them over Specialties.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#167 Post by Antman9 »

Marullus wrote:Assets appears to be the only thing that is "use all that apply." One reason I prefer them over Specialties.
Yups

Zhym wrote:As for background, I'm thinking he worked for a fancy law firm and was a JAG officer (possibly reserve) for the Alliance during the Unification War (hence the ident card). What he's doing with this bunch...well, I'm not so sure about that part.

Or here's a wild thought. Do you expect the Blue Sun Corporation to figure in this game at all? If so, it might be interesting if Gideon had some connection there. Or maybe that complicates things too much?
The Ident Card could possibly be a Veteran's card too (possibly), definitely an active card of some kind. ???

I'm good on you adding in A Blue Sun thing. I like/enjoy more complex plots. Simple is good too, but I'm groovy with complicated. If we get too complicated though, some players will start to forget/miss what's going on.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Zhym »

I was thinking that a Blue Sun Ident Card might be even more useful than an Alliance Ident Card, depending on what we'll be doing.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hi all. I was away for the weekend and now playing catch-up again.

With Torchbearer, you describe and action and then the GM tells you what skill is being used/rolled against, deciding that based on your description. Is this similar, with Antman deciding on the skill, or is it up for discussion? I don't mind either way really - the former can be brutal if you are thinking you have a chance, but then realize you are likely to fail, but that can be fun, too.

Thanks.

And it is great to see you jumping in Zhym! I've loved seeing /reading your many characters in different games.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#170 Post by Antman9 »

Rusty
Thanks for the update, hope you had a nice relaxing, or at least enjoyable, weekend.

Zhym
How are you coming along on your crewmember? Any questions or concerns?

All
I've asked Jack to make the first post for EP1, Act I. FantasyChic will be acting as Co-Pilot, leaving Edmund to Lend an Operate Skill Die. Please read through latest Next Step post for details. If you have questions about making your first post, make a post in the Episode OOC
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Zhym »

I think I'm ready to go except for a more detailed description and backstory. His skills and all that should be set.

I'm going to skip the Blue Sun thing for simplicity.

Background highlights: Born into a respected family. Impeccable legal credentials: graduated third in his class at the University of Osiris School of Law (the most prestigious law school in the 'Verse), clerked at the High Court, joined a tony white shoe firm, solidly on partner track—all according to script for the son of a judge.

Then the Unification War came. A civic-minded fellow, Gideon signed up for the JAG corps. What he saw made it hard to return to his previous life. Since then he's been wandering. Freelancing. Taking up cases where it seems like his help is needed. Or just traveling.

That's the sketch, anyway. Nothing terribly original, I know, but it should be serviceable. :)
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#172 Post by Antman9 »

Looking pretty good Zhym. You've got the basics down, which is more than enough. You want to leave room for your crewmember to grow and change, and you've done that. Let me know if you have questions about making your first post.
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#173 Post by FantasyChic »

So am I not the newest addition to the ship anymore? With Zhym's character now there and based on his recent post, seems he's new.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Zhym »

I can back that out if it doesn't work with the planned joint backstory.
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#175 Post by FantasyChic »

Zhym wrote:I can back that out if it doesn't work with the planned joint backstory.
Oh no, I was merely wondering if that was established and i missed it. They could both be new on the ship, but i figured the ship would have gotten a lawyer involved on the ship before a private investigator.

i dunno what joint backstory you mean though, but i don't want to ruin anyone's story.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Zhym »

I thought there had been some discussion before I joined about the crew having known each other already.

I figured Gideon would be new if only because I can't think of a good reason why he'd have been traveling with the crew a long time. It's not like "ship's attorney" is a regular crew role. :)
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#177 Post by FantasyChic »

There was discussion, but it was mentioned that in order to have an excuse for others to share backstories without having everyone know each other, there would be someone new on the ship, and I agreed to take on that role.

I'd really like to keep it too as i had a good story planned for it, but if that's not the case anymore I can see about working out something else.

-Dr. Seuss
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Zhym »

I don't see any reason why your PC couldn't still be new. We could have two PCs be new, right?
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#179 Post by Antman9 »

I don't see any reason why not.
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#180 Post by FantasyChic »

Would it sound selfish if I it was already said I wanted to be the only one? Yeah, it does. i don't mind having two of them, I was just under the impression that it was already set up. Doesn't matter really.

-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)”