Barrowmaze: Of Where-Rats and Mongrelmen.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Barrowmaze: Of Where-Rats and Mongrelmen.

#381 Post by Craigers07 »

Rum

Rum wakes and tries to make sense of what happened. "I feel like I've had too much to drink, but I don't remember drinking anything."

"I think I'll be ok."

He will assist in getting Sundance out of the room if time permits this round.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Mongrelmen Crypts.

Veryn grabs a torch, striking the chemical granules that line the soaked tar with a flinty match and then tossing the burning firebrand at the encroaching moss. The sudden burst of heat causes the edge of the roiling plant to burn and shrivel, retreating away from the naked flame. But the cloaking mass still covers the drugged and comatose priest and its acidic stems continue to leak numbing enzymes which anaesthetise Balaam even as he bleeds and sloughs more exposed skin from off his bones. -4hp

Purple Moss: suffocating damage upon Balaam [2d4]=4

Where his blood leaks, the strange Purple Moss extends to carpet and absorb the life giving blood. Rum Lightbender and Sigrid can each grab the ankles of Sundance & Callan, dragging the two comrades out of the spore contaminated atmosphere and into the clearer but still fetid air of the passage. After a round or two each may be brought back around to full consciousness.

Veryn can see the that cult priest is beyond saving. He gathers any dropped weapons and retreats, shutting the door behind.

next exploration decisions please
Kenjosephus
Guide
Guide

#383 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn
Kenjosephus wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:34 pm Veryn will take all the gems from the chest along with the books, scrapbook and the vial of ink.
To clarify, i did take all the gems, books, scrapbook and the vial of ink. Not only the book. Also, taking one of the dead acolyte robe for potential disguise.

Veryn sighs a deep regret for overlooking the anomaly, the purple stain in the robe and such. He then decided to methodically check for trap and open the rest of the door across and besides the crypt room that becomes the resting place of Balaam, one by one.
Spearmint wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:08 pm He gathers any dropped weapons and retreats, shutting the door behind.
What kind of weapon did i gathers from this? Also, should i roll again for trap checking or not, since i've rolled for this particular action?
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#384 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid is relieved as both Callan and Sundance regain consciousness, waiting apprehensively for Veryn's return. "That could have easily been our end," she says uncomfortably. She furrows her brow at that thought, and looks about for the mongrelmen.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#385 Post by Spearmint »

What kind of weapon did i gathers from this? Also, should i roll again for trap checking or not, since i've rolled for this particular action?
The weapons were those dropped by Rum, Sundance & Callan. No need for more trap rolls just yet. I will edit an update here later.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Mongrelmen Crypts

After the death of Balaam, the group escape the room, leaving the carnivorous plant growth to spread over the priest's corpse and digest his remains. Though the air in the corridor is fetid and stale, it is free of the soporific spores and you can breath normally and with a sugh of relief.

Sent to retrieve some valued books, Veryn can share his findings with the group and preferring not to leave these side crypts unexplored, each are investigated in turn. Unlike the purple moss crypt, the other three rooms have signs of continual habitation though no one is present in any of them. All these crypts follow a pattern, twenty feet squared with basic flagstone tiling and plasterwork walls covered in faded murals and more often than not, various scribblings of graffiti in a selection of commonly spoken languages. The top left and right crypts are old bunk rooms and feasibly, ones that could still be put to reasonable use though the yellow stained and lice ridden mattresses have an undesirable appeal. The furnishing in the room are spartan and rickety, many slats missing from the bunks, tables with only three legs, rusty buckets with holes in, cracked and broken flasks scattered into corners along with torn garb and chipped or rusted implements.

The bottom left crypt, unlike the other three has a locked door. In the rusty keyhole is a broken key, the shaft sheared in place. The thick door is panelled in typical reinforced pattern and though barging stuck doors open is par for the course, the locked one has an extra security restraint.

Actions, to open this I need a modified Open Locks attempt, firstly a 'remove traps' (there is no trap but you need remove the broken key successfully) and then a successful Open Locks to pick it open.

So far, the Undead in the large crypt are still ignorant of your intrusion and only rats scurry in and out of the two passages with curtained alcoves. So far, so good in terms of more creatures or cultists being aware of your explorations.

Sigrid, you can use the telephonic ear to touch base with Sir Dewey's team and catch up to date on their own exploration endeavours. They have breached into a section of secluded crypts, fought an angry Crypt Thing, found some treasures and more alarmingly, Gerdal seemed to wander off, following a vocational call to follow Kali.

Actions as you explore please
Kenjosephus
Guide
Guide

#387 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Before checking the other three doors, Veryn will laid out his findings to the party: Balaam's book and scrapbook and a pouch of marbled colored gems, ornamental quartz stones, agates and solid black pieces of jet.

"Someone check the books and make a sense of how much these gems worth. You all will get your share."

+1 acolyte robe, +1 vial of ink (for bookkeeping)

In his findings on the top left and top right room, Veryn will read and take a closer look at the written graffiti and mural of what does it meant, further than that, he'll take nothing of interest. Afterwards, noticing the locked door of the bottom left, Veryn will take a flask of oil and pour it onto the lock, hoping to relieve the key out from its stuck condition and start lockpicking.

-1 flask of oil

remove trap/stucked key vs 25% [1d100]=35 and pick lock vs 25% [1d100]=45

Hard praying for a bonus on my roll right now based on what i've just spend
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by Spearmint »

Hard praying for a bonus on my roll right now based on what i've just spend
Unfortunately, as has been the case in trying to open other doors, this one has foiled someone else's previous intrusion and the broken key inside the lock makes it more difficult for Veryn's own lockpick attempt.

Delay is not denial, you can always simple bash it down to force it open if you really wish to gain entry here.
Kenjosephus
Guide
Guide

#389 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Unless there is a way of making the noise of the bash, through spell or trick, Veryn probably not going to risk bashing the lock nearby a horde of undead. Do the giant centipedes still lurks in the lower eastern corridor?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by Spearmint »

Do the giant centipedes still lurks in the lower eastern corridor?
yes, they are an ever present threat.
Kenjosephus
Guide
Guide

#391 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Forgot to ask, does the lower west corridor ends with Balaam's room or is there anything beyond that?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by Spearmint »

There is an unexplored room next to Balaam's quarters and the four curtained alcoves. You could try searching for concealed/secret doors if you wish.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by Spearmint »

House Keeping note:

July 12th 1066:

Mid-morning.

So your present location is in the long vertical corridor by the purple moss crypt.

Attachments
Current map
Current map
Screenshot_2024-05-27-21-23-45-395~2.jpg (185.1 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Kenjosephus
Guide
Guide

#394 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Veryn will consult the party of where they should go next. Seems like there is another objective in mind, figuring out where the excavation is, there seems to be two safe option right now, to the upper eastern corridor where "The Shrouded One" is which we can pass these giant rats with the cost of our rations or if we don't mind to be nasty, bodies from the two acolyte we've just slain, or to the lower western corridor, where there is one door left, probably another of the acolyte mess or a secret door.
Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#395 Post by Craigers07 »

Rum

Rum opts out of searching the nearby crypts any further.

"I don't know if we should try to fight through those centipedes. We may have more luck getting by the rats with our fresh corpses."

Rum is for heading back up to the eastern corridor and trying to get by the rats as a preference unless the others would like to fight the centipedes again.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by Spearmint »

At this point ...

Sigrid you get a buzz on the Elf-ear phonic and listen in to Isvand saying his group have completed an area of searching and are moving through the archway with the permanent Darkness in it and hope to meet up with you guys.

That area is in the very NW of the posted map so in a round or two that group will arrive in the Gargoyle Statue hallway.

Your group can consolidate as a whole and continue forward together. What I will do here is a brief summary of your current expedition in terms of xp and trove, which I will allocate to each person now and update my public XP Record thread.

Actions I will edit the summary here and then continue in a thread for the combined team.

edited

So in summary, your morning consisted of a brief exploration and some encounters. Swerving the zombie horde and gaining information on the cultists who dwell nearby. You slew two acolytes and captured Balaam though he succumbed to the Purple Moss spore affliction.

For ease of play, it is simpler to round up the summary with +250 xp each full character (I give half shares to npc's) and take the Player participation award of +100xp.

So +350xp each character. Please acknowledge and update your sheets.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#397 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Relays through the ear what has occurred to the group and coordinates the regrouping, after explaining to the others that the group's arrival is imminent.

Experience updated on character sheet.
Kenjosephus
Guide
Guide

#398 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Veryn agrees on regrouping, he knows where at least the leader of this crypt is and will retell what he found towards the others when they met.

Experience score updated
Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#399 Post by Craigers07 »

Rum

Rum gets caught up with Sigrid on regrouping and will proceed when everyone is ready.

XP updated
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by Spearmint »

Please continue here and update your sheets with any changes for spells, hp, trinkets and goods.

viewtopic.php?p=706138#p706138

Return to “Completed Expeditions”