001 The Road to the Ruins

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

001 The Road to the Ruins

#1 Post by Eris »

OOC: We'll start on the road to old city called Fastomel, now in ruins. If you want to organize more or need to do shopping put those posts in the 000 Meeting at The Duck Pond thread. This thread is where the Adventure begins...

After a night's sleep and a bit of organizing the group of adventurers leave Lakeside and head toward the ruins. It will take most of the day to get from Lakeside to the site of the old city north and west of the town. Passing through the city gates you go over a stone bridge that spans the river running south of Dragon Lake which is to your north. The bridge is in bad shape, clearly not used much, but is still sturdy and solid as you tramp across.

The road leading north from the bridge is old and increasingly bad shape. When the road passes through meadows it is encroached upon by weeds and brush, but worse when it passes through the many copses of trees it is rendering to nothing more than a path in many places as trees crowd in forming a tunnel of green.

Generally, it seems a quite pleasant early spring day. There are a few fluffy clouds in the sky that portend the chance of afternoon showers, perhaps. You hear the sounds of birds and small creatures in the trees and out in the grasses going about their business.

After an hour's walk you reach a very large oak tree. It must be 100 feet tall with a 20 foot circumference at its base and a canopy 100 feet or more wide. This is "The Old Tree" where a few of you had a parley with Kobolds just a few days ago. Looking around there is no sign of the Kobold's now. From here on, it is going to be increasingly dangerous. The Orcs that gave chase stopped chasing not far north of this spot. There could be patrols or sentries anywhere along the road from here on.

OOC: I'd like you to give me your order of march at this point. You can walk 2 abreast on the road and you might want to consider scouts ahead and perhaps behind as you move forward.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 001 The Road to the Ruins

#2 Post by Rex »

Zennys

Zennys is willing to be a scout, forward or rear.

Not sure how we decided on Skill bonuses but she has expertise with Perception so should be at least decent (+3 I think) and she is proficient with Stealth (+2 or +5 depending if we are using ability modifiers too).
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Arram

Arram will happily take which position is required, but I would note he has the perception skill (+5), so might be best placed at the front or rear.
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by joertexas »

Carsta stays in the middle of the group.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore trots along cheerfully as the group enjoys the beautiful spring morning. Her tall (for her) walking stick has a wide enough top for the tiny owl to perch upon, which it is presently doing, trying to sleep as they go... morning is not his favorite.

She walks in the middle next to Carsta, but ready to scatter into the meadowgrass

(She has Stealth +5 plus halfling abilities, but is not proficient in Perception, which I think means she rolls unskilled (+0) under hardmore instead of +2
)
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Darithe »

Vesper

Vesper points out this is where they met with the kobolds. She will keep a position towards the rear of the group.
terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by terrymixon »

Linder

Linder will stick to the middle to use his bow for support if needed.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 900 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Eris »

Rex wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:49 am Zennys

Not sure how we decided on Skill bonuses but she has expertise with Perception so should be at least decent (+3 I think) and she is proficient with Stealth (+2 or +5 depending if we are using ability modifiers too).
About Skill bonuses
...if you are trained you get 1d20 + the Ability Mod + proficiency bonus, if you also have expertise you get another +2.
...if you are not trained in a skill you get 1d20.

You only need record trained (and expertise) skills on your sheets, because everything else is flat d20.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Eris wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:44 am
Rex wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:49 am Zennys

About Skill bonuses
...if you are trained you get 1d20 + the Ability Mod + proficiency bonus, if you also have expertise you get another +2.
...if you are not trained in a skill you get 1d20.

You only need record trained (and expertise) skills on your sheets, because everything else is flat d20.

Thanks. I will update my sheet. I assume we get/count penalties no mater what (I have a -1 for Wisdom for example).
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

Our Party consists of: Zennys, Hellebore, Aaram, Carsta, Daerrin, Don Franciso, Linder, Vesper, Eudoxos and Frank the NPC. If I'm missing someone holler!

I'm not normally going to put the numbers in the posts, but as we get started I think it might help everyone have an idea of what they are good/bad at doing. And give me corrections when I get things wrong...

Zennys starts off ahead of the party scouting, keeping to the trees and higher grasses as she moves ahead. She is stealthy but quick and her perception is really very good if she says so herself. [Her Perception is -1+2+2 = 3, Passive 13, she's not going to miss much.]

Aaram decides to trail the party by a good number of yards, better to keep an eye out for anyone, or thing, trying to sneak up on the group. He isn't stealthy like Zennys, but he is just as observant. He keeps an eye on the surroundings as well as the folks he has teamed up with. [Perception of +3+2=5, 15 Passive, is top notch!]

Carsta moves to the middle of the party. She is unfamiliar with these new people, but is starting to get to know a couple of them. She's noticed that the two halflings look remarkably alike, but she doesn't know many of the small people, so she doesn't know if that means anything. They haven't been acting like they know each other, but she wonders.

Hellebore trots along cheerfully as the group enjoys the beautiful spring morning. Her tall (for her) walking stick has a wide enough top for the tiny owl to perch upon, which it is presently doing, trying to sleep as they go... morning is not his favorite.

Hellebore walks in the middle next to Carsta, but ready to scatter into the meadowgrass. Carsta chats with Hellebore as they walk along, she is intrigued by the little owl sitting atop Hellebore's staff and wants to know more about it. She is also intrigued by Hellebore herself, never having met a halfling before.

Vesper points out this is where they met with the kobolds when they reach the big tree. She keeps a position towards the rear of the group walking alongside Daerrin, a mountain dwarf. Daerrin has a shaved head, but a bushy red beard and walks with a limp. By the talisman around his neck Vesper can deduce that Daerrin is a cleric. Daerrin, in return, notes the half-elf walking beside him must be a bard by the lute she has hanging from her backpack. When Vesper points out where the group earlier had a parley with Kobolds, Daerrin is a bit surprised. In his experience, Kobolds don't parley...not seriously anyway. Maybe these are different from any he's encountered.

Linder stays near the middle of the pack, but the quick human can't help but be bored and keeps looking from side to side and eventually, decides to trot up ahead to join Zennys at the front. He stays there a bit, then slows down and lets the group pass him as he falls back to where Aaram is bringing up the rear.

Don Franciso strolls along next to Frank Sample up near the front of the party. Frank has his bow out and ready and tunelessly whistles between his teeth as he walks. Any conversation from Franciso to Frank is met with a grunt, a shrug, or occasionally with a change in the tone of the whistle.

Eudoxos is behind the dandy called Don Franciso and the taciturn bowman Frank. He can't help but be amused as the affable Franciso tries and fails to draw a response from the taciturn Frank.

As the sun reaches its zenith, Zennys spies a pond on a small stream that bisects the road. There was a bridge here at one time, but it has fallen into the water and beavers have dammed the stream here forming a pond. The way ahead is over the stones and sticks that make up the dam, a bit tricky, but shouldn't be a problem for anyone. Looking around she doesn't see any dangers. This might be a good place to break the march for a mid day meal...
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ateno »

"With this large a party, stealth is mostly out. Remember to look for signs of our other members, perhaps they could be alive. I hope. Lets do a quick look around before we relax, yes?"

de Francisco
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:12 pm "With this large a party, stealth is mostly out. Remember to look for signs of our other members, perhaps they could be alive. I hope. Lets do a quick look around before we relax, yes?"
Carsta nods and busies herself with setting up a place for them to eat while the others search the immediate area.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by shaidar »

Arram helps to check the area out before they settle down for lunch.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Zennys

Zennys searches the area in a circle pattern, just within sight of the others. Checking for anything that would make this a bad spot to take a break.
terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:40 am Linder stays near the middle of the pack, but the quick human can't help but be bored and keeps looking from side to side and eventually, decides to trot up ahead to join Zennys at the front. He stays there a bit, then slows down and lets the group pass him as he falls back to where Aaram is bringing up the rear.
That's Linder all over. ;)
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 900 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

While the others circle, Hellebore is happy to set up lunch. She props her staff and lets the owl sleep, gesturing and murmuring over each food item in turn. Trail bread softens and warms, wafting the smell of melted butter as its flavor is enhanced. Cups of water begin to steam and perk, even without a fire. She uses some dried herbs from her pouch added to it and make herbal teas for everyone, commenting that the real herbs are to convey "certain health benefits."
Use of the Prestidigitation cantrip. Not sure if you're wanting a roll - on a 1 she re-rolls, on a 2 she fails, above that she passes. She can't roll a 0 so isn't at risk of losing the cantrip, and I'm unsure if there's a possible effect or not on a Critical Success with a 20. It's a basic utility cantrip with no attack roll, save, or exceptional expectations.

The non-magical herbs might be beneficial? She is proficient in Medicine. Some 5e feats allow temp hit points to be added for the day.

"Stopping for lunch" would normally be a "Short Rest" mechanic in 5e, but we haven't expended anything that would otherwise need to be restored.
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by joertexas »

Marullus wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:20 pm While the others circle, Hellebore is happy to set up lunch. She props her staff and lets the owl sleep, gesturing and murmuring over each food item in turn. Trail bread softens and warms, wafting the smell of melted butter as its flavor is enhanced. Cups of water begin to steam and perk, even without a fire. She uses some dried herbs from her pouch added to it and make herbal teas for everyone, commenting that the real herbs are to convey "certain health benefits."
Use of the Prestidigitation cantrip. Not sure if you're wanting a roll - on a 1 she re-rolls, on a 2 she fails, above that she passes. She can't roll a 0 so isn't at risk of losing the cantrip, and I'm unsure if there's a possible effect or not on a Critical Success with a 20. It's a basic utility cantrip with no attack roll, save, or exceptional expectations.

The non-magical herbs might be beneficial? She is proficient in Medicine. Some 5e feats allow temp hit points to be added for the day.

"Stopping for lunch" would normally be a "Short Rest" mechanic in 5e, but we haven't expended anything that would otherwise need to be restored.

Carsta steps closer and watches Hellebore work. "That's a handy ability." She pulls out a linen-wrapped bundle, and sits down on a handy stump. Setting the package on her lap, she carefully unwraps it to reveal a small loaf of bread, a block of cheese, and sausage. She extracts a small knife from her pouch along with a wooden plate the size of her hand and cuts the items into thin slices, which she stacks together. "Pappa taught me this trick of having everything together so it's easier to eat," she explains.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

"What good is magic if it is not practical? A wizard who still does laundry is no wizard at all," Hellebore answers, shaking her cloak so the mud from travel disappears and it folds itself neatly beside her. "Do you prefer your meal as it is? Or warmed so the cheese is gooey? Or chilled so it is firm? Or perhaps flavored with a little hot pepper? There is no reason to skimp on the trail. "
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Zennys

Assuming her patrol didn't find anything she will return to the group and get her lunch.
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by joertexas »

Marullus wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:07 pm "What good is magic if it is not practical? A wizard who still does laundry is no wizard at all," Hellebore answers, shaking her cloak so the mud from travel disappears and it folds itself neatly beside her. "Do you prefer your meal as it is? Or warmed so the cheese is gooey? Or chilled so it is firm? Or perhaps flavored with a little hot pepper? There is no reason to skimp on the trail. "
Carsta shakes her head. "I don't like arcane magic. My prayers are granted to me, and I use them to heal and protect myself and others. The rest, though, I'd rather not deal with it."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “The Silver Vale (5e)”