Paladin - Have Gun, Will Travel

jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Paladin - Have Gun, Will Travel

#181 Post by jemmus »

It will take around 2 minutes for the train to reach 0 mph. In the past 12 seconds it has slowed to 16 mph. It's moving just a couple of mph slower than the good horses. Range to the target is now 76 yards.
Paladin sees his bullet clip the galloping, evading man's left shoulder. The robber rides on, the braking train moving almost as fast. The perhaps wiser boy to the left, riding west and perpendicular to the rails, opens the range by a few yards.
Initiative[1d6]=4
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin fired again at the galloping man, hoping to make his last bullet count.

Initiative [1d6+1]=5+1=6
Rifle 16 [1d20]=2 Hit
Coor 19, Rifle Skill +2, Rifle +1 = 22. Moving train -4, robber Galloping -4, sniping +2 = -6. Careful Shot Total 16
Location [1d20]=8
Right arm 8, modified to abdomen 11
Severity [1d6]=1
1 - Light Wound (1 Wound point, total 2 Wound points)

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by jemmus »

Paladin sees his shot nick the fleeing rider's lower back. The turns his horse from the northeast to the east, perhaps not happy with being shot at from his complete blindside. Or he may be riding for a group of live oaks around 200 yards away. Or both. The boy continues galloping to the west, adding another five yard to the distance. The two fallen riders' horses gallop southwest towards the horse and rider, apparently trying to regroup the herd. The train continues braking toward a stop, it's wheels throwing sparks.
Since Paladin is out of ammo, we'll go to 6-second Combat Turns. He can reload the LAR with 2 shells per Combat Turn.
Initiative [1d6]=4
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Grognardsw »

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by jemmus »

Another tie. [1d6]=6
Reroll.[1d6]=5
Another, for just in case it's needed. [1d6]=6
(Maybe we should roll a few each time to have backups for ties).
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Grognardsw »

Initiative [1d6+1]=3+1=4

Declared Action: So according to Reloading rules, its 2 bullets per Combat Turn, or one bullet every three seconds. Paladin will load one bullet and fire it at the retreating robber he just hit. This will enable one shot before the target goes medium range (assuming continued movement) which will incur more negative modifiers for Paladin. I’ll hold on rolls to keep the sequence, though movement comes at end of Turn.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by jemmus »

Paladin feeds one shell past the rifle's spring-loaded loading plate into the receiver, cocks the lever, and takes aim at the galloping rider.

The range is the same, because as you said, movement happens after shooting. GM error during previous turns: Per p. 25 of the rules, in this situation the sniping bonus only applies for the first shot. I had it in my mind that a braced and steadied against an object shot would get the bonus. But it seems to be about the surprise factor, rather than the bracing factor. The previous results will stand, but not apply going forward. (We've been playing it that way since the shootout at the rustlers' house). Sorry about that.

Next turn's initiative: [1d6]=6
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Grognardsw »

On the Sniping, I had read that. I interpreted the key phrase as “If that shot sets off a general gunfight, the sniper loses his sniping benefit on any subsequent shots.” In Paladin’s case, a general gunfight hasn’t happened, as the targets are doing movement.

For example, in Main St. Anytown a few gunslingers have their guns braced on barrels waiting for the sheriff and deputy. They get sniping shots, and then the sheriff and deputy return fire. At that point it’s a “general gunfight” and the gunslingers, due to logical circumstance, aren’t in a sniping scenario anymore.

In a different example, a sniper who is firing from a distant hill down on pistol-armed targets that can’t return fire could continue his sniping as it’s a one-sided fight. If they had rifles instead of pistols, and could return fire thus, it would change to a general gunfight.

What do you think?

Paladin fired the rifle at the retreating man.

Rifle 16 [1d20]=10 Hit.
Location [1d20]=5
Left arm 5, no mod, -1 to Severity
Severity [1d6-1]=2-1=1
1 - Light Wound (3 Wound Points total)

The man was 76 yards on May 10 post, plus subsequent one shoot out turn movement (5 yards) and one combat round movement (32 yards) puts him at the moment at 113 yards away from Paladin as we start the next Turn.

To return to a previous question, does getting hit now by three bullets call for a Riding or Str. roll to stay on saddle?

Paladin initiative: Initiative [1d6+1]=2+1=3

Declared Action:

Paladin, measuring the distances against rifle range, and considering his poor hits, took a few moments breath deep, reset his mind and reloaded two bullets.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by jemmus »

I considered that it hasn't turned into a "general gunfight" here yet too. Here are some thoughts about what the rule may intend.
a) The first shot is sniping because it's unexpected and coming from an unseen shooter. If that's the case, then the other shots wouldn't be sniping, because the targets are no longer surprised, they're taking cover and/or and looking for the gunman.
b) In the example of the targets only having pistols, it seems to me that the first shot would still only be the sniping shot. The targets would take cover, run, try to close the range,etc. in reaction. The pistol guys would be at a disadvantage if shooting, but they would still be aware of the shooter and no longer surprised.
-In the situation with the fleeing robbers, I think b) applies. They haven't shot back, so it isn't a "general gunfight" per se. But they can shoot back, they're no longer surprised, and they know where Paladin is. Several shots have been fired and two men are down, so that may count as a "general gunfight."
Let's stick with the results we have so far, but not count the sniping bonus going forward.

The range you stated looks about right. The train moved forward too, but the robber changed course from northeast to east, and with the angle, it seems to come out to around the same distance. So let's say 113 yds.
The boy with the shotgun to the west keeps on riding, hell bent for leather. The robber to the northeast turned in the saddle and took a look at Paladin and his position, but rode on.

[1d6]=6
Robber moves 32 yards, to 145 yds. But with the forward movement of the train, let's say he moves 27 yards per Combat Turn. So 140 yds range.
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Paladin - Have Gun, Will Travel/current

#190 Post by Grognardsw »

The Turns are beginning to blend too much in my mind, so to avoid confusion, I tallied the initiative rolls and the latest Turn is 11. The robbers are at 113 yards at end of Turn 10 (Look at May 11 post when it switched to Combat Turn, add movement of 32, to bring to 113.) By end of Turn 11, its 32 more to 145 yards. Shooting in Turn 11 happens before the movement reaches 145.

Turn 10 - Initiative Robbers

Paladin, measuring the distances against rifle range, and considering his poor hits, took a few moments breath deep, reset his mind and reloaded two bullets.

The boy with the shotgun to the west keeps on riding, hell bent for leather. The robber to the northeast turned in the saddle and took a look at Paladin and his position, but rode on. (Reaching 113 yards.)

Turn 11 - Initiative Robbers

Paladin declared action: shoot twice for this Combat Turn. Assuming continued robber movement, posting rolls now.

Paladin set his gun again, took aim, and fired his rifle at the galloping robber.

Initiative [1d6+1]=4+1=5 Turn 11 lost.
Rifle 14 [1d20]=3 Hit
Coor 19, Rifle Skill +2, Rifle +1 = 22. Moving train -4, robber Galloping -4, Long Range -2 = 12. Careful Shot Total 12
Location [1d20]=8
8 right arm modified to 11 abdomen

Severity [1d6]=4
4 - Serious wound (7 total Wound Points, or 6 if retroactively applying -2 Long Range modifier to May 10 shot.

A little better that time, thought Paladin, but if his old buddies in the 2nd Massachusetts Sharpshooters were watching, they wouldn’t be impressed. Then again, the jostling and screeching train and galloping target didn’t help. Paladin considered shooting the horse out from under the robber, but he wasn’t that desperate quite yet.

Paladin took aim again and fired, just as the train lurched. The aim was upset.

Turn 11 second rifle shot 14 [1d20]=18 Miss

Damnation!”

Turn 12 - Turn 12 Initiative [1d6+1]=3+1=4

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by jemmus »

At Long range, the wound location can't be moved.
Regarding need a make a Strength check to stay on a horse after getting hit, we'll again stay with the RAW. I don't see a rule for that, so we'll go with when Strength reaches 0, the unconscious rider falls off the horse. After the latest hit

Turn 1 - Initiative Robbers
The galloping robber frantically rides toward the stand of live oaks, now around 50 yards away. Paladin's shot hits him in the arm, twisting him in the saddle at the waist. Paladin hears a rifle shot from the rear of the train and a wound appears on the rider's leg. He slumps in the saddle, then falls heavily to the earth. His fine horse gallops on.

The boy with the shotgun keeps riding hard to the west, opening the distance.

Turn 12 initiative
[1d6]=5
Turn 12 - Initiative Robbers
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Grognardsw »

Turn 12 - Initiative Robber

Paladin was glad to see another train guard got it together to help. Paladin reloaded two bullets, keeping an eye on the last robber riding west.

Turn 13 Initiative [1d6+1]=3+1=4

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by jemmus »

The boy gallops on, driving his horse as if his life depends on it.

He ends at 177 yds range.

Turn 13 initiative
[1d6]=4
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Paladin - Have Gun, Will Trave

#194 Post by Grognardsw »

Role-playing to Paladin’s beliefs and morals…

Paladin brought up his rifle to shoot but stopped. The kid was young, hopefully the shock of this would make him rethink his life choices. With Bass and the other two men dead, the gang was done.

With a deep breath Paladin shouldered his rifle and climbed down the front of the passenger car to the door. The passengers had seen quite a show, the gunslinger thought, and were probably still nervous.

Paladin opened the door. “It’s okay folks! The danger has passed. You probably heard me up there on the roof. Sam Bass and his robbers are dead. Please remain calm and in your seats. My name is Paladin.” He nodded, tipped his hat, and closed the door.

The gunslinger crossed the coal car catwalk to the engine car compartment. They were struggling with the final feet of the train’s stopping.

Chief Conductor, I’m Paladin , a train guard. I took down three of the robbers from the roof, the fourth escaped. Keep the train stopped until I gather the bodies. I’ll ride out on my horse. The other three train guards are scattered about. The one named Watson deserted his post, should be fired and reported to Mr. Cummins. You should send inspectors to make sure no passenger was injured in the lurching, and that freight didn’t topple. I’ll be back shortly.”

With the train stopped, Paladin retrieved Copper and another horse from the animal freight car. He tethered the second horse to Copper. He rode out nearby to Bass’ body. He checked for a pulse in case the five bullets and fall from the horse hadn’t killed him. Paladin collected Bass’ guns and belongings, put them in his saddlebag, and then flopped the body over the second horse. He then picked up the two other bodies, took their belongings, and rode back to the nearby train.

Paladin stored the bodies in the freight car. If he saw the other guards, he told them what happened. “Let’s meet in the caboose to debrief. I’ll tell the Chief Conductor we can get underway.” If Watson was there, Paladin purposely did not confront him about his desertion.

Paladin returned to the engine car to tell them it was okay to leave as soon as they were ready.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by jemmus »

Paladin entered the front coach to find Tiny rushing forward, apparently looking for him. Seeing Paladin, and that he's unwounded, he nods. The train at last slides to a sliding stop. Twelve yards before it, the bodies of the two prostrate men lie not far from the tracks. One is flat cold dead. The other-- the apparent leader, is terribly shot up, bloody and unconscious, but still shallowly breathing. Passengers-- man, woman and child, swiftly or cautiously-- come out of the coaches to take a look. They make various comments.
-I seen the whole thing from the window!
-Those robbers looked like there were stupid or just plain drunk to me.
-They sure did skedaddle when that fella in black went up on the roof and started shootin.
-Who was them fellas? Sam Bass's bunch, er somebody else? I couldn't see straight ahead, just to the side. All ah saw was a skinny boy whupping his good horse and ridin like crazy.

Luke Brawley appears. You shot Sam Bass! he says. I get a third of the reward, as a part of the guards crew defendin the train. I guarded it from the caboose, according to railroad policy. You took and chance and moved forward. That's not my responsibility, that's yours. Good thing that coward Watson ran off. No reward money for that slick greedy bastard. Tiny says, I ain't so sure that's Sam Bass. You ever see him in person, Luke? Luke replies, No, but the face looks just like the one on the reward posters. Tiny says, That face looks like the swoll-up face of a fellow who's all shot to pieces and is dead to the world. You recognize that one. Besides, Sam Bass's gang would fight back instead of runnin, wouldn't they? The big bouncer looks at Brawley appraisingly, with the look of a man who knows a thing or two about vain bravado vs. courage when things come down to it. Luke replies, You don't know if Sam Bass's gang would fight or run, do ya! Have ya ever met Sam Bass in person yerself? Tiny just smiles.

The chief conductor comes up to the train guards and says, Thank y'all for yer good work. The Waco & Northwest Railroad remains about the only train line in Texas that has never been robbed. Thank ya for the alert about Watson, Mr. Paladin. He'll never work for the W & NW again. We'll have to ask you men to collect the dead and wounded and carry them to the caboose. The wounded for doctorin, and the dead for identification and burial. That's the law. We might have extended stops in the towns between here and Fort Worth. He calls in his loud far-carrying conductor's voice, All train passengers, return to yer seats! All passengers, to your seats! The train will get underway again shortly! We have a lot of time to make up to Fort Worth. Any doctors among the passengers, we ask that you kindly come to the rearmost coach to render aid to the wounded. Even though they're damned to perdition train robbers.

A small man in a fawn-colored white-striped suit and a black bowler runs up to Luke, Paladin, and Tiny and tips his hat. Though he's small and has the look of a city man, it there's noticeable bulge on the left side of his suit jacket. As if a there might be a heavy pistol under it. The man says, William Tate, reporter for the Fort Worth Star, and takes out a notepad and pencil. Gentlemen, you shot Sam Bass-- and most of his gang! Only one escaped! Mr. Paladin, I already have your name, I was there when you reassured the passengers in the front coach. You other gentlemen, can I have your names and your stories about what happened today? Oh, I'd give anything to have a camera here and get photos of you three behind the three bodies!

To be continued in the next episode, in which the train guards respond, and retrieve live (or not) bodies and what they were carrying, and/or the erstwhile riders' fine horses. Or-- by a next player's post.
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Grognardsw »

To confirm, per my last post Paladin would get to the bodies first as he spoke with the Chief Conductor first while the train was still in the process of stopping. At which point he got off to go Bass and the other two. I thought the bodies were further away, forgetting the train was moving him closer, so I suppose a horse may not be needed.

Paladin responded to the Chief Conductor: “Thank you. If you wouldn’t mind, could you sign a statement as to my shooting of Bass.” Paladin knew that would be administratively helpful when he visited Union Pacific’s office in Fort Worth to claim the reward. Paladin recalled the Wanted Notice for Sam Bass.
WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE - $300 REWARD
Train Robber SAM BASS
Last seen on March 19, 1873 in Round Rock, Williamson County
UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD COMPANY
Congress Street, Austin, Texas
Speaking of reward, Paladin raised an eyebrow when Luke claimed one-third. He wasn't aware of any such policy, and certainly hadn't signed any documents or hiring agreement to that effect. Such rewards were given to individuals, not companies. Paladin felt he was on secure ground claiming it for himself. The funds would ensure he could afford to get himself and Copper to San Francisco and not be broke when he got there.

"Luke, there's no railroad policy about rewards," Paladin said, looking the man hard in the eyes.
William Tate, reporter for the Fort Worth Star, and takes out a notepad and pencil. "Gentlemen, you shot Sam Bass-- and most of his gang!"
Paladin nodded at Tate. He could see where this was going. While not a publicity hound, Paladin realized the value of exposure for his own stature and business. It rankled him some that the other guards would try to cash in when they didn’t do anything.

“Yes Mr. Tate, I brought Bass and the other two down. The passengers in that rail car will attest to my shooting from the roof above them. You were in that same car, so you know. Some may have even seen me through the skylight.”

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”