Smoking Out The Bandits

OGRE MAGE
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Smoking Out The Bandits

#181 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

It was a good thing for Dubricus that he looked down to the group, as Meinhardt's cold stare may have turned the man to stone if their eyes had met. He remains perched over the cave entrance on the next ridge tier above, waiting to see if anyone emerges looking for a metal arm ...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#182 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan wonders why the 'leader' is shouting like a moron. "Huh well I thought he was supposed to be smarter than that.... everything in five miles knows we are here now." he wonders what the strange troll is up to "I feel like this is a trick." he says looking towards the troll.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by shaidar »

Stobart looks really worried when Dubricus starts shouting

"I thinks it's time we left and took that idiot back to the keep."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by hedgeknight »

shaidar wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:11 am Stobart looks really worried when Dubricus starts shouting
"I thinks it's time we left and took that idiot back to the keep."
"Since he likes yelling and greeting and such, maybe he should go treat with the Troll. Whaddaya think?"

Dredd looks at Crabgrass. "Don't go sticking your hand, face, or any other body part in random holes. You never know what you will draw back."
The Half-Orc remembers well the advice given before he left the hills of Longspear.
Winter is coming...

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"Seeing that fighting the troll will not be required today, she suggests quietly that the group retreat to the bridge as planned."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#186 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

Looking wistfully back down at the others, Crobeus follows Crabgrass. "Maybe we should join the others and not explore on our own, huh?"
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Stirling »

"Maybe we should join the others and not explore on our own, huh?"
"Croebus, let them go if they want to picnic by the forest bridge. I came to bounty hunt goblinoids and brigands.

We cannot all run at the first sign of trouble. Not that I seek gold, glory or an early death. But these mysterious caves surely hold more than just tribal factions. Hidden knowledge, arcane power, divine favour.

Capturing any renegades will give us a good reputation in the Keep too. Come on. Carpe Diem."

Crabgrass continues inside the entrance that the trophy niches surround.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#188 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fools Rush In?
The Caves Of Chaos
Late Morning, Mostly Clear

Meinhardt watches the imminent chaos unfold from an elevated position above the others on the second tier of these rocky outcrops. He sees nothing exit this particular cave, but to his right, down the ledge a good distance away, he spots a huge hairy humanoid watching them from afar. (In the cave opening well east of C)
IMG_2065.jpeg
IMG_2065.jpeg (176.05 KiB) Viewed 127 times

Those watching the troll across the stream see him return to where he was in the water and motion again with its gangly green arm for someone foolish enough to follow it back to its cave.

Despite the wise advice of the Paladin, Crabgrass wants to see what they might find inside the severed head cave. He bravely marches inside the dark opening, with his loud mouthed follower right on his heels. “This is SO exciting!” The pair get ten feet inside the darkness before they reach an intersection leading to the left and right. The right path leading back in the direction of the arm trapping hole.

Actions?

IMG_2066.jpeg
IMG_2066.jpeg (63.21 KiB) Viewed 127 times
Magdal (R1) AC:7 12/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 8/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5 Sleep:2
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) H-E AC:7 7/7 SG / Sanct
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5 MM/MM
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 13/16

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

He begins scaling down the ridge to the cave entrance, remarking to Crobeus as he does so, "We have attracted another spectator deeper in the ravine!"

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#190 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal offers the troll a friendly wave, but nothing more considering the circumstances of her companions exploring the caves with the severed heads. She will retreat to Renna for now, pointing out the other creature suddenly watching them, "We acquired quite a bit of attention it seems."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

I would go right, hoping to catch any sleepers still asleep. Just in case they are still awake and expecting intruders.

Crabgrass: melee Quarterstaff: [1d20]=11 [1d6]=4

He remembers to lift a metal finger to his lips, gesturing Dubricus to "Hush".

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#192 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan nods his head slowly "Yup...but I really don't want to go in any of those caves, or the water for that matter."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308

#193 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

The Paladin is torn between accompanying the two into the cave to protect them and not getting drawn into a situation where they are overmatched. Again. Especially if the person leading is completely ignoring the danger. Again. Deciding the needs of the many outweigh the risks involved in defending those few who disregard the danger, Crobeus elects to stay outside the cave. "We've got creatures coming out of multiple caves watching us. We need to go, now!. If you continue in this cave, you are on your own." Crobeus will stand guard outside the entrance to the cave, sword at the ready.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc shakes his head at the chaos that has seemed to shadow him since he left the rolling hills of Longspear. "These fools don't know their asses from holes in the ground," he says to whoever is close enough to hear it, watching Magdal return to the others. "Hey Pim > what's going on back there? Is Dubricus still around? I figure he might want to wade out into the creek and see what the troll wants."
Dredd nods at the troll, but otherwise stands guard.
Winter is coming...

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#195 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal cannot suppress a giggle at the thought of Dubricus standing in the creek soaking wet trying to converse with the troll, as she makes her way back to Renna. She takes up a defensive position trying to wipe the laugh off her face.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#196 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fools Rush In?
The Caves Of Chaos
Late Morning, Mostly Clear

Meinhardt slides back down the rocky ridge of his elevated perch, telling Crobeus about the curious bugbear he saw from a distance. They can both hear commotion coming from the dark cave entrance where Crabgrass and Dubricus entered. Though there is no loud clanging of steel on armor, the scuffling noises sound a bit more akin to a bar fight, with crashing tables and face punching noises.

Those remaining on the ground have no idea what is happening inside the caves above. Magdal gets another reaction from her wave at the wading troll. This time it just stands there staring at her with its long arms resisting on its hips in frustration.

The normally quiet homely half-orc Skratch eventually speaks up. “Why the hells did we come out here? To stand around doing nothing? We could do that back at the Keep!”

Actions?

Everyone is free to move along if you don’t like the options presented so far. I feel like we have one player playing and 7 players watching them. :lol:

Magdal (R1) AC:7 12/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 8/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5 Sleep
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) H-E AC:7 7/7 SG / Sanct
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5 MM/MM
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 13/16

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by shaidar »

Stobart looks at the others

"Come on, we need to get them out of there."

He starts making his way towards the cave entrance.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"We came out here to ambush the brigands. To ambush you have to have lay in wait where the group will pass by. We have been trying to find that place since we did not know their base and path. Then the group decided to wander into the caves to randomly find the right one. We have their possibly been blessed with this good fortune, but it is not confirmation. (Given the single clue in common). We can attack this cave in full force or withdraw. What say you all?"

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#199 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

"Lets go into the caves and see what has come of our fearless leader," the young ranger says to Renna.

Scott308

#200 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

Seeing some of the others beginning to make their way toward the cave, the Paladin realizes he can no longer allow the two in the cave to fend for themselves. "Meinhardt, we'll need light! Please use my lantern," he says, reaching into a belt pouch for a flask of oil. The bullseye lantern attached to his backpack is easily accessible for the mage. If/ when the lantern is lit, he will lead the way, hoping to find Crabgrass and Dubricus. Ideally still alive.

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”