Discussion (out of character thread)

scarik
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Discussion (out of character thread)

#181 Post by scarik »

For the record Bofur's equipment is assumed to be among the goods recovered. I'm not going to penalize the party for that.

This means Gilmer's gear can be repurposed, I believe you are down 2 spears and a shield lost in the fighting.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#182 Post by GreyWolfVT »

That does make sense to me. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#183 Post by scarik »

A note on magic items.

Arrows and bolts are not common but also not super rare. You can expect to find them and most places have a few on hand in case enemies immune to normal missiles show up (dragons especially). They are worth a shilling each for light quarrels and short arrows, double for the heavier types.

Weapons and armor have a Base Cost of around £20 which is the minimum amount of resources to make them for those who can. Their 'typical' sale value is twice that, though it can be hard to find a buyer who can actually pay it. Selling one can easily take years.

Gurav's offer is £25 (it's weight) plus some RP related bonuses. You could refuse and sell it for more. Eventually. Most human lords however won't be interested since its a footman's shield. You can't use it while mounted without incredible strength.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Leitz »

So, IC we have a significant reason to return to civilization; to refit the party, and perhaps recruit a little. OOC we have a significant reason to return to civilization, we can probably level up almost everyone!

I know it will take time for the very wounded to be able to safely move. If we had carts, and now that we have the maps, we could move everyone, and the treasure. Of course, that means any encounter would put is severely at risk, since many of our front line fighters are not able to participate.

Ji-ho will talk about the treasure, and splitting things up. It's easy to see that he's trying to be fair to everyone who has a share, but to also help the hill dwarves get back on their feet. Like Si-woo, he has no idea how to deal with the potions.

Is there a pipe to be had? Ji-ho needs to sample some of that pipeweed. :)
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#185 Post by scarik »

Since we have a new PC I want to put this to a vote:

Does he start at 0xp or does he start where the party is?

He will have starting gear regardless in this case.
Leitz wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:13 am Is there a pipe to be had? Ji-ho needs to sample some of that pipeweed. :)
Clearly the halfling has one at least, plus the dwarves who were transporting it probably as well. One of said dwarves is a woodworker so he can fashion you up something as well.
GreyWolfVT

#186 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I vote whatever works for the GM :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#187 Post by tibbius »

I've always played that new PCs just appen to be even level with the party ...
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Leitz »

It stinks to be a beginning character when everyone else is several levels above. Point of note, this is just for the sheild:

Code: Select all

One share is 1200.0 cash and 0.0 xp.
  ji-ho gets 1200.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  siwoo gets 600.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  rolton gets 600.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  drotik gets 600.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  hemia gets 600.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  morphin gets 300.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  barnaby gets 1200.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  sengrim gets 600.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  dramm gets 300.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  gurav gets 0.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  borav gets 0.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  hodlar gets 0.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
  korev gets 0.0 in coin and 0.0 in XP.
Began with 6000 in coin and 0 xp, gave out 6000.0 coin and 0.0 xp.
I think a Hill Dwarf that signs on will have a hard time justifying a lot of cash, but I don't see the party as being so tight fisted that said dwarf will have to worry about cash. Everyone who can level up will, from the treasure, the battle, and the shield income. No idea on the potions, but if the hill dwarves are as deterimined as the rest of their kin, we can help them reestablish and they can help with future plans.
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#189 Post by scarik »

The vote is in.

Bofur just happens to be at the same level as the other PCs, approximately 1500xp.

The rules on training are up in the doc, if you wish to do so you can spend 5 weeks and 500p to level. Once everyone is healed up that is. And you will have to pay your henchmen for all this time so that will nickel and dime you a bit. In general they will match your expenditures on their behalf and no more, but they gain half XP so it washes out.

Gurav will invite Bofur and his henchmen to train with him, ie he will cover the costs for awhile to make the lack of cash on hand a non-issue for the new PC. He will also pay upkeep on henchmen.

0 level NPCs don't level up or earn XP like PCs do. That's basically all just gone until they get to Level 1. When this happens is entirely DM fiat. However, in this case once the PCs hit Level 2 I will advance them thusly:

For Jing Ji-ho
Si-woo automatically becomes Fighter 1 due to the Leader feat. Also because of this, as your primary henchman you have control over his finances.
Rolton, Drotik and Hemia all require Ji-ho to spend 500p each (they match with their own funds but henchmen get half xp, etc) and they will advance to level 1. Rolton and Drotik Fighter 1, Hemia Cleric (or Paladin) 1
Morphin upgrades to Heavy Infantry. If you absolutely want him to become a Fighter 1 it will cost 1000p.

For Barnaby
Dramm knocked it out of the park and would be like Morphin but for that. 500p makes him Fighter1.
Sengrim will cost you 500p to train with the others. He becomes Explorer or Burglar 1, your choice.

For Bofur
His henchmen are Dwarves so they are generally already level 1, more or less. They will stay there.
tibbius wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:39 pm I've always played that new PCs just appen to be even level with the party ...
Make sure you check the your private forum. I made a new thread for you that is relevant to the current topics.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#190 Post by tibbius »

Leitz wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:05 am If my math is correct, here are the cash and XP gotten. The cash only counts the coin and gems! It does not cover magic items or the supplies and tools that were found. scarik, correct me if I'm wrong, but the XP is just for monsters, right? So a share of XP would be 1164 (cash) plus 355 for kills?

Code: Select all

One share is 1164.0 cash and 355.0 xp.P.
  barnaby gets 1164.0 in coin and 355.0 in XP.
  dramm gets 291.0 in coin and 88.75 in XP.
Not sure what Sengrim will do with his cut, but Barnaby and Dramm together plan to spend 500 p to make Dramm a 1st level Fighter.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#191 Post by tibbius »

scarik wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:09 pm Treasure under the spoiler. Only what you recover and return to town counts for XP @ 1 silver penny = 1XP
Coins: 5503p (210lbs total, 120lbs copper, 80lbs bronze, 10lbs silver, scattered gold)

Gems: 317 <1lb a dozen semi-precious worth 99p total, 2 48p, 1 120

Recovered outside from where the leader threw it away is a dwarven warrior's shield of remarkable craftsmanship.

In one of the chests: 5 Potions in led crystal phials.
11 arrows for a short (self, hunting etc) bow. 10 for a longbow. There are all impossibly free of muck or corrosion. Even the fletchings are bright.

Food
2 x Amphora of Vinegar (2p, 80 lb)
2 x Sack of Animal Feed (1f, 50 lb)
4 x Sack of Wheat (2f, 50 lb)
Bottle of Vinegar (1f, 8 lb)
Salted Ham (2p, 4 lb)
2 x Small Cask of Ale (1f, 8 lb)
2 x Small Cask of Dried Figs (3p, 8 lb)
6 x Small Cask of Oil (1f, 5 lb)
Small Cask of Pickled Fish (2p, 5 lb)
Small Cask of Tobacco (2p, 8 lb)
Wedge of Cheese (1 hf, 4 lb)
Bottle of Brandywine (5p, 4 lb)
Bottle of Common Wine (1f, 4 lb)
2 x Bottle of Honey (2f, 4 lb)
2 x Bottle of Spiced Wine (2p, 4 lb)
Bag of Chestnuts (1p, 1 lb)
Bag of Common Spice (1p, 1 lb)
2 x Bag of Dried Mushrooms (1p, 1 lb)
2 x Bag of Wheat (1 qcf, 1 lb)
17 x Bag of Salt (4p, 2 lb)
34 x Pouch of Tobacco (2f, 1 lb)

Tools (810lbs total)
Anvil (6p, 200 lb)
2 x Rope Net (10' x 10') (4p, 40 lb)
9 x Ladder (10') (2f, 20 lb)
3 x Miner's Pick (3p, 10 lb)
3 x Pair of Oars (4p, 20 lb)
Rope Ladder (50') (3p, 25 lb)
Hemp Rope (50') (1p, 10 lb)
Bow Saw (5p, 5 lb)
Crowbar (2p, 5 lb)
4 x Grappling Hook (1p, 4 lb)
25 x Iron Bar (1f, 5 lb)
Pole (10') (5 cf, 8 lb)
2 x Sledge (1p, 10 lb)
11 x Chisel (2f, 2 lb)
2 x Hammer (2f, 2 lb)
Lamp (1f, 1 lb)
15 x Sewing Needle (1 hf)
Shears (4p, 2 lb)
2 x Sickle (1p, 2 lb)
Small Hunting Trap (4p, 5 lb)
4 x Tongs (3p, 2 lb)

Containers
2 x Large Iron Box (2p, 100 lb)
Large Wooden Chest (2p, 50 lb)
Barrel (2p, 30 lb)
2 x Small Wooden Chest (1p, 10 lb)
2 x Basket (2f, 1 lb)
31 x Bucket (2f, 2 lb)
3 x Clay Pitcher (2 cf, 5 lb)
2 x Clay Tankard (2 cf, 2 lb)
3 x Sack (1f, 1/2 lb)
Tiny Lead Box (1p, 5 lb)
Tiny Wooden Box (2f, 1 lb)
Wooden Drum (2f, 3 lb)

7 x Rack of Firewood (1 f, 200 lb)
19 x Box of Firewood (1 cf, 20 lb)

Misc Supplies
3 x Bag of 10 Pitons (1p, 5 lb)
2 x Bag of 20 Marbles (1f, 1 lb)
14 x Bag of Iron Nails (1f, 1 lb)
3 x Box of 20 Candles (1f, 1 lb)
Box of Charcoal (1hf, 20 lb)
2 x Bag of Chalk (1hf, 1/2 lb)
26 x Piton (1f, 1/2 lb)
15 x Small Cask of Wax (1f, 5 lb)
34 x Small Glass Rod (1f)
2 x Wooden Holy Symbol (1p)
Flask of Oil (1f, 1 lb)
Flint and Steel (1p)

Cloth and Clothing
3 x Bolt of Canvas (1p, 10 lb)
2 x Bolt of Linen (5p, 10 lb)
3 x Common Wig (1p)
2 x Cheap Wig (1 hf)
2 x Bedroll (1 hf, 5 lb)
Wool Cloak (2f, 3 lb)

Weapons
Bag of 20 Sling Bullets (1f, 10 lb)
2 x Box of 20 Arrowheads (2f, 1 lb)

Other
2 x Pair of Dice (1 hf)
Signet Ring (brass, 6p)
Maybe could you add a "Loot" thread under the forum? Easier to keep track of stuff that way, plus we could update the thread as we sell / buy stuff.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#192 Post by scarik »

tibbius wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:58 pm

Maybe could you add a "Loot" thread under the forum? Easier to keep track of stuff that way, plus we could update the thread as we sell / buy stuff.
Good idea.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Leitz »

Besides being mildly ill now, I'll be read-only this weekend. If you need anything from me, please let me know soonest.
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#194 Post by scarik »

I just need to work out some details then I'll post about the healing timelines.

I am also in talks to add a mage PC.
Leitz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:41 pm Besides being mildly ill now, I'll be read-only this weekend. If you need anything from me, please let me know soonest.
Ok thanks for the heads up.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#195 Post by tibbius »

scarik wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:56 pm I am also in talks to add a mage PC.
What the heck is "Bardic Magic" ? Where can I find a spell list ?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
GreyWolfVT

#196 Post by GreyWolfVT »

magic through the power of music. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jofn_9rPbzo

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#197 Post by scarik »

tibbius wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:40 pm
scarik wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:56 pm I am also in talks to add a mage PC.
What the heck is "Bardic Magic" ? Where can I find a spell list ?
I'm adding spell lists to the rules document. They are mostly taken from various Basic D&D sources. Notable exception is Cantrip taken from AD&D2e. Formatting descriptions will take a bit.

Bardic magic is partway between Divine and Arcane magics. You begin play with 3 first level spells mastered and gain more when you gain a spell die or take a Bardic Lore ability to get more.

First Level Spells
Cantrip
Command Word
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Fellowship
Illusory Force
Light
Protection from Evil
Purify Food and Water
Resist Elements
Sleep
Ventriloquism
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#198 Post by scarik »

I am going to update the roster. Since everyone is still alive and wise enough to spend money on training I'll make those changes.

Leitz: Ji-ho and Si-woo have a feat choice to make. Let me know if you want to advance any of the others. I believe we were not sure. Rolton I will adjust based on what we discussed for his plans.

tibbius: Barnaby gains a feat as well. Bards can spend those on Lores. Dramm becomes fighter 1 (he is taking Toughness as his feat) and Sengrim will become an Explorer (aka a ranger)

GreyWolfVT: You will begin at level 2 and your henchdwarves are level 1. All of them have to take Dwarven Racial Abilities as their level 1 feat/secret/thing. Bofur gets to pick a new feat at level 2
GreyWolfVT

#199 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright. This is a different list than the whole profession bit correct?

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#200 Post by scarik »

Rolled an interesting encounter for you all.
GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:57 pm Alright. This is a different list than the whole profession bit correct?
Yes. I have added your henchmen to the Roster.

The feats are in the Rules Doc, but here's your options:

Mundane Feats
Puissance: Choose Melee or Ranged. You get +1 to Hit with that sort of weapon. You may choose this feat twice to gain the benefit to both categories.
Prowess: Choose Melee or Ranged. Enemies get -1 to Hit you with that sort of weapon. You may choose this feat twice to gain the benefit to both categories.
Toughness: You gain +1hp and +1 to Injury Saves.
Endurance: Increase the number of hours before you must rest for 1 Turn by +1. You also gain +1 to Saves when making a Forced March or to avoid Exposure.
Lucky: You gain +1 on all Saves.
Leader: You may have +1 more Henchman than normal. Increase the Loyalty and Morale of your Henchmen and Followers by +1.
Skill: You gain another skill. You may take this feat as often as you like for a different skill each time. Note it as Skilled(name of Skill).
Berserker: You may enter a battle rage that lasts 1 Turn and grants you +1 to all hit rolls and +1 temp hp. When the rage ends you are Fatigued.
Beast friend: You may have beasts as Henchmen. You get +1 to Reaction Rolls with beasts.
Strider: You gain +1 to your movement rate and overland rate.
Racial Abilities: Non-Humans have this ability at level 1 instead of a Feat or other ability. See below.
Mounted Warrior: You may have a single mount as a Henchman. You get +1 to Reaction Rolls and Skill Rolls to control mounts. Your mount gains +1 to all Saves.
Ability Score: Improve one of your ability scores by +1. You may choose this feat up to 6 times but only once per ability.

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”