Chapter 3: The Path of the Righteous Man

Marullus
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 3: The Path of the Righteous Man

#121 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel rushes to the stage-curtain, and throws it back, as he drops to one knee as he shouts SURRENDER and prepares to fire if the shotgunner swings the shotgun his way.
If the man's still there and surrenders: Hansel will have him drop the shotgun and move into the bigger room (for questioning)
If the man aims at Han, held action below
If the man is gone... There's another exit and we got a runner!

Assuming we've dropped out of combat (that's the feeling I've got), Hansel will start searching the bodies, making sure they're dead, collecting weapons, and call out Stairs down in the kitchen!

Once the immediate issues are taken care of, he will head over to the greasy haired woman and say We haven't been properly introduced. My name is Hansel, and that was some fine shooting you did!

Held action, shoot the shotgunner... Trigger, shotgun pointing my way.
Laser Pistol [1d20+3]=1+3=4 Damage [1d6+2]=5+2=7

OK, that's way too much moving around. Let me know if we're still tactical and I need to cut it back.
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygr Gangleri "Emile closed the bay door downstairs. Come on, get in everyone. Nora, bring Oliver here."

Marullus wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:19 pm Balygyr - remember, even if you don't see a direct action for yourself, your drone presence allows you to add a Help roll to another character.

so, just a 2d6 ?
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by greyarea »

Emile races to the front, yelling, Keep a drone on that back door, Balygyr. Alert us if it opens. I'm going to the front, see if I can help the others from there since approaching from the rear didn't seem to work.

Narrator: Well, it could have worked if Emile's shooting wasn't so poor.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by Enoch »

Shadrach slings the bolt-thrower over his shoulder and bounds over to Nora. "Let me see the wounds, Nora," he says, his voice urgent. His eyes dart across Oliver's torso, then nods, looking up over the weathered bar at Balegyr. He puts his hand under Nora's elbow. "Come on, let's get him over to Balegyr."

As they cross the floor, he calls out, "Balegyr, you've been holding out on us. Can you heal him?"
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by jemmus »

Taavi slings his rifle. He enters the bar, takes the bouncer's keys, and unlocks the box holding his laser pistol. He takes it and any other weapons in the box. He goes over to wear Petr was last seen, pistol ready. He dearly hopes to find the body blown to pieces.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by cybersavant »

Enoch wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:54 pm As they cross the floor, he calls out, "Balegyr, you've been holding out on us. Can you heal him?"
Báleygr Gangleri "Not holding out, i can do it one more time. Get out of there before we lose someone permanently."

Maneuver the drone not to highlight them, but so they can see to get out while lighting any foes nearby.
gaming since 1980

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Marullus »

Ambiance: Bitter End

At the rear of the building, the bay door now closed, Emile races to the front, yelling to the drone hovering above him, "Keep a drone on that back door, Balygyr. Alert us if it opens. I'm going to the front, see if I can help the others from there since approaching from the rear didn't seem to work."

Báleygr keeps one drone on the back door as Emile runs out of view and tells the others, "Emile closed the bay door downstairs. Come on, get in everyone. Nora, bring Oliver here." He maneuvers the pair of drones in the barroom not to highlight his companions, but to illuminate a clear path through the broken chairs, tables, and corpses between the bar and the truck so they can see to get out while lighting any foes nearby.

Hansel rushes to the stage-curtain at the far end of the room and throws it back, shouting "SURRENDER!" With his low-light eyewear, he confirms there is no one in the pitch blackness beyond amidst the clothing racks and chests of accessories, but that there is a metal spiral staircase leading down. "There's another exit and we got a runner! Staircase here and also in the kitchen!"

Shadrach slings the bolt-thrower over his shoulder and bounds over to Nora. "Let me see the wounds, Nora," he says, his voice urgent. His eyes dart across Oliver's torso, then nods, looking up over the weathered bar at Balegyr. He puts his hand under Nora's elbow. "Come on, let's get him over to Balegyr."

Taavi slings his rifle. He enters the bar, crossing the room in the pathway of spotlighting, passing the opposite direction of Shadrach and Nora. He passes the end of the bar and bumps shoulders with the groaning middle-aged man in the black duster when he bends down to take the keys off the dead bouncer at the man's feet.

As Shadrach crosses the floor leading Nora and Oliver towards the Kumekhna truck, he calls out, "Balegyr, you've been holding out on us. Can you heal him?"

Báleygr replies "Not holding out, I can do it one more time. Get out of there before we lose someone permanently." The greasy blonde woman reaches down from the truck bed to help Nora and Oliver up onto it.

As Taavi stands up and unlocks the large metal box, a tall gun locker really, the middle-aged man in the black duster stumbles forward and grabs him on the shoulder with a steel-handed grip. The man turns from a stumble to a lunge, just missing as Taavi twists out of the way just in time. The man lifts his face, his eyes are bloodshot red, and lets out a primal screech as he bares his sharp fangs.
Fangs.gif
Fangs.gif (1.01 MiB) Viewed 397 times
OOC:

"middle-aged man in the black duster" Bite [1d20+3]=10+3=13 [1d6]=1

Hansel is alone on the stage on the far side of the room (rifle range). Taavi is alone between the barred front door and the bar, facing the former preacher (melee range). Shadrach, Nora, Oliver, Balygyr, and the greasy blonde woman are all at the truck, whose rear bed is jutting through the wall near the pool tables, lateral from Taavi (pistol range).

Emile will arrive at the truck at the end of this turn (so he can act, but will act last).
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by jemmus »

Taavi grabs his laser pistol from the gun cabinet and fires at the fanged man point blank.

Gunslinger - 0 [1d20]=14 Laser Pistol [1d6]=5
PCs

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygr Gangleri keeps one drone near enough s they can see anything approach the truck, moves one to watch if Petyr or anyone comes from the back, and keeps the third on the lower door.

helping rolls

gaming since 1980

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by Enoch »

Shadrach drops his hand from Nora's elbow and brings the spike thrower to his shoulder as he pivots toward the creature. His feet glide over the floor as he moves for a clear shot on the creature. He whistles, and the leonine shadow-creature hurtles across the floor and flings itself at the man in the black duster.

Grim's Attack: [1d20+1]=18+1=19, damage [1d10]=9

Is there a penalty for firing into melee? I'm not seeing one in the book. I'd like to see if I know anything about how vampires are killed in this world, if I can do so without taking a Main Action:
Know Magic: [2d6+1]=8+1=9
If I can shoot at the vampire without endangering Taavi, I do so, but only in single-fire mode (burst fire is too dangerous, even if the rules don't make it any more likely to hit Taavi):
Spike-thrower: [1d20+1]=14+1=15, [1d20+1]=1+1=2, damage [3d8+1]=9+1=10
EDIT: that should be a 17 to-hit, thanks to True Hand.
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel drops his laser pistol and draws the "Moonshine" revolver as he runs forward just enough to get in range. Dropping to one knee, he talks to himself. All the time in the world. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. as he takes careful aim, controlling his breathing, checking the locations of his teammates as he sights on the vampire's head Not a called shot, just flavor. and slowly squeezes the trigger.

If he can't get in range, he'll not shoot! :D

Moonshine revolver [1d20+2]=20+2=22 Damage [1d8+4]=7+4=11
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by greyarea »

Rounding the building, Emile climbs over the truck and into the building, his SunShooter ready for action. His eyes scan the room as he enters.

Emile Initiative [1d8+2]=2+2=4

Notice [2d6+1]=10+1=11

Just in case: SunShooter [1d20+4]=1+4=5 Damage: [2d6+3]=9+3=12 Range: 50m Magazine: Unlimited
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Marullus »

Now you guys finally got some good rolls! That'll do. :)

Taavi's shot hits the now-undead preacher in the gut, then Hansel's revolver blows the top off his head and Shadrach's metal spike embeds in his chest. The fanged opponent slumps against the bar and slides to the floor, where Grim begins feasting on his entrails.

Shadrach knows that beheading is the surest way to keep something dead, and that a wooden spike to the chest (versus the metal one just fired) is also specifically supposed to be effective on vampires.

Taavi is able to raid the gun locker attached to the wall by the door. In addition to the surrendered guns you already owned, you get three revolvers and one well-worn laser pistol.

Emile arrives at the side of the truck, the threats taken care of for now.

Hansel heads over to the greasy haired woman, "We haven't been properly introduced. My name is Hansel, and that was some fine shooting you did!"

The woman introduces herself as Kimberly Brown. "That preacher there was Richard Price," she says, staring in disbelief at the now-downed vampire. "That's a damn shame... Dick was a good drinking buddy." She holsters her laser pistol, concealed at the small of her back. "Well... I sure as hell ain't loitering here! You mind giving me a ride to the next town?"

Are you going downstairs to find the source of dimensional energy with its own power supply, or are you loading on the truck and getting out of here?
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by greyarea »

Emile, arriving late, looks around and says, I say we get the heck out of here. Nothing good is coming from heading downstairs unless we have a way to destroy whatever that thing is without taking us along with it.
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#135 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel retrieves his laser pistol from where he dropped it. He'll also gather the shotgun, and any spare shells, from the dead shotgunner. As he returns, he asks Shouldn't we finish this now, before they have a chance to regroup or looks at Richard make more of themselves? How is Oliver doing? Is he going to recover? Pleased to meet you Kimberly. Hansel is bleeding freely from at least a dozen buckshot impacts on this upper left torso. As we discuss, he will replace the cartridge in his revolver as well as the battery in the laser pistol, marking the half-drained one for charging when we have a few minutes.
I know that Báleygr is tapped out. Does anyone have mundane first aid/heal skill? Hansel is down to 12/26.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Marullus »

Nora is consumed with fussing over Oliver, checking his pupils, his pulse, his temperature. Eventually, Oliver wrinkles his nose and brushes her off, "Geez, mom... I'm fine!" He flails his arms a moment, then once free escapes into the truck cab with Balygyr and the glowing cube, his main attentions on the latter.

"Come here, big fella, and let me take a look at ya," says Kimberly, pulling some rolls of gauze from her hip-pouch and grinning so wide it shows her three missing teeth. She uses a tweezers to get out the buckshot and wraps your shoulder.
If you take 10 minutes now, everyone gets [1d6+1] hit points back for being treated by Kimberly or Nora. You can roll and post.

Current hit points:
Báleygr Gangleri (AC 13) 6 / 6
Shadrach (AC 16, 17 Shadows) 4 / 15
Hansel Shatner (AC 15) 12 / 26
Emile (AC 15) 5 / 10
Taavi Perttu (AC 14) 3 / 14
Nora (AC 13) 9 / 16
Oliver (AC 10) 3 / 3 [Restored by Nora]
Kimberly Brown (AC 14) 3 / 3

After mundane healing, Balygyr still has 1 heal left for today if he needs it.
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by greyarea »

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by jemmus »

Taavi
My vote would be to stay and make sure Peytr is down for good. And to try to shut down whatever is giving this place its monstrous power. He uses his multi-tool to take photos of the carnage around the room. He'll need them for the 400-page report to the government he'll eventually have to write.

Healing [1d6+1]=5+1=6
PCs

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#139 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel grimaces a bit as the buckshot is withdrawn, taking a nip from his flask to cut the pain. Thank you kindly Miss Kimberly, I think I'll need to remember to duck going forward.

Heal [1d6+1]=1+1=2
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#140 Post by Enoch »

Healing: [1d6+1]=2+1=3

He smiles his thanks to Nora as she secures the final bandage and pushes himself to his feet with a grunt. "So...what do ye reckon is in the basement?" As he asks, he steps on the back of a chair overturned in the chaos and brings a big combat boot down on one of the legs. The wood squeals for a moment before breaking off with a sharp crack.

The soldier collects his prize and stoops to draw his blade from his boot and begins to whittle the broken end into a tapering point with long, smooth strokes.

"Balegyr, do ye have enough juice left to scout it out? You did right good job back at the farmstead, but I'm sure it takes it out of ye. If not, I could do it; or one of your drones might be just the thing."

He holds the leg up to catch the beam of one of the dim lights. He blows a few scraps of wood away, swipes at it a few more times, then wipes both sides of the blade on his pant leg and sheathes it at his belt before rising and walking determinedly toward the black-coated corpse.

Do you need a roll for this?

Return to “Dust to Dust (SWN)”