Chapter 3: The Path of the Righteous Man

Marullus
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 3: The Path of the Righteous Man

#21 Post by Enoch »

Shadrach follows the others into the bar after he finishes bandaging his arm. Even before the door closes behind him, his eyes are roving the room automatically. He steps out of the doorway and narrows his eyes as they adjust to the light.
I'd like to look for exits, obvious guards/bouncers, and any potential trouble spots.
Notice (Wis): [2d6]=6
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

Ambiance: After Dark

Nora turns off her bike and dismounts. "Oliver, you stay here," she calls backwards, then starts walking towards the front door.

Hansel hurries to catch up with Nora, making sure his pistols are accessible in their holsters. "What are we walking in on, what is our plan?" he asks as he pulls even.

"It's a bar, and I'm getting a drink," Nora replies. He doesn't need his keen intuition to know that her words are tense and she's not saying all she is thinking. Nor does she slow her stride.

Shadrach watches as Nora strides away, his eyes slightly wide and his mouth hanging open. He clamps it shut and his jaw tightens, and the neon light washes over his grizzled features as he looks from Nora to her son and back again. Finally, he shakes his head and strides over to the boy. As he does, he mutters quietly, "your mother's gonna kill me..."

As he reaches the boy, he lays a friendly hand on Oliver's shoulder. "C'mon, we're not leaving you out here. Ever shot pool before? If not, I'll teach you." Oliver's eyes light up with excitement as he affirms he has never shot pool before. He gently but firmly guides the boy toward to door. To the others he says "Keep your eyes open. She ain't takin' this particularly well, even considerin'. An' if she blames this bar or its patrons, this could get ugly fast."

"Wait. I'll stay with Oliver on the truck. I'll be no use in there now anyway." Báleygr shakes his head as Shadrach takes Oliver away.

Shadrach pauses and considers. "Gangleri, you sure? Might be safer inside."

"In my weakened state, and near blind, yeah, I'm sure. I'm better off on the truck, ready when we need to make haste. I've got the drones watching the doors."

Taavi kills the truck's engine, gets out, and hands the key fob to Baleygr. "Why not sit inside, Marshall Baleygr? That way you can lock the doors and have some protection, if something comes up. I'm taking my compad, let me know if you suspect something even might be up. Better yet, could you text me an update around every minute? X for "All clear," A for "Alert." He takes the safety off of the laser pistol under his jacket and follows the others into the bar.

"I can do that. I wish Shadrach would've let Oliver stay here. Its safer than out there." Báleygr takes the keys and climbs inside the truck cab.

Shadrach stops halfway across the cracked concrete under a Joshua tree that's forced its way through the slab. "Wait a moment, boy," he tells Oliver, and drops to his knees. He mutters under his breath, a harsh, discordant series of syllables that don't sound like a human tongue.

Under the spindly shade of the Joshua tree, Shadrach stops speaking and draws his combat knife. He draws it quickly across his left forearm. The knife is sharp and the cut is clean; it doesn't even begin bleeding for a few moments.

The faint shadows of the branches seem to thicken as the blood starts to drip off his arm, sizzling as the droplets hit the hot concrete. The shadows swirl, smoke-like, around him, and begin to coalesce around his arm, slowly taking the form of a large hound, lapping at the wound. The warrior starts to push the creature away but it resists; as he struggles with the amorphous form it seems to grow stronger as he weakens.

With a final effort he pushes the hellhound back. "Enough!" He glares at the servitor as he pulls out a bandage and rips it open with his teeth, applying it to the wound with practiced motions. "Go, hide in the shadows and small angles 'til I call for you."

Shadrach looks up to see Oliver, staring at him, wide-eyed and pale, as the shadow-dog slinks away...

The last of the sun drops away behind the horizon, the red bathing the clouds fading swiftly to gray as you watch Nora, following her after dark to this unwholesome hole. Nora and Hans reach the door of the bar.

Balygyr sends a drone to watch over the boy. He positions a second one to watch the front of the bar, and the third to circle between the other exits. There is a faint hum as the circular post-tech disks hover, taking up their posts.
Which drones are you positioning where? They have different capabilities.
Emile scans the parking area one more time before following Taavi to the establishment, passing Shadrach and Oliver as the old soldier slices his own wrist and begins to bleed under the small tree. Emile counts four motorcycles, two beaten four-wheel trucks, and one dusty black sports car parked outside the establishment. A mechanic stands silhouetted in the white square of light of the garage bay at the far end of the strip mall about 100 meters away, wiping something with a rag as he watches your group curiously.

Just before reaching the door, Taavi narrows his eyelids and unfocuses his eyes.
With Precognition-0 you can see 1 minute into your personal future. It addresses one specific question, which in this case I am assuming is, "what happens when we enter the bar?"

Taavi steps up to the door a moment behind Nora and Hansel. Nora argued a moment with the bouncer, finally surrendering her shotgun before she gets in, her weapon deposited in a metal box next to the door. Hans slid past during the argument, looking like a worn local biker. Shadrach and Oliver are still further behind you, Shadrach kneeling below a twisted tree... suckling a shadow monster with his bleeding wrist? You shake your head and turn back to business.

The bouncer, however, turns his full attention to Taavi, and Emile a step behind. He interposes - one meaty hand extending to block your shoulder, his almost seven foot tall body filling the doorway with his other hand gripping the thick wooden door. "You're not welcome here," the thick, broad, unshaven thug of a bouncer growls, his eyes fixed on the tin stars on their coats. "You don't belong."

Taavi blinks, still standing at the truck as Nora and Hansel approach the building.
OOC:
Hansel Dex+Stealth [2d6+1]=9+1=10
Hansel succeeds in slipping inconspicuously into the bar.

I will pause here to allow Taavi to react to his one minute of foresight before moving the scene inside.

If Taavi shares a warning, you have the opportunity to adjust and to hide weapons. Otherwise, all readied weapons are to be surrendered at the door (nobody thought to conceal them), so tell me if you do something about it other than surrendering your weapons and getting in normally. If you're trying to get away with something, remember to roll a check. :)
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by jemmus »

As Nora and Emile approach the bar's entrance, Taavi calls out, Nora! Marshalls! Come back! There's something you need to know! When they're closer, he says We're not going to be welcome in there. Marshalls, stow your badges and don't indicate to anyone that you're law enforcement. Nora, leave your shotgun in the truck and hide this on you. He takes off his jacket and his laser pistol shoulder holster and hands it to her. Then takes his semi-auto pistol and shoulder holster from the truck, straps the holster on and puts his jacket back on. Marshalls, they're taking weapons at the door. Best find a way to conceal yours too.

He's looking forward to one beer, and one beer only. He hopes the situation will allow that.
Last edited by jemmus on Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

Nice. :) With that warning, please tell me what you're leaving in the truck vs. what you're trying to conceal in (or allowing to be confiscated). My next post with introduce the interior.
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by redwarrior »

if Hansel can remain with his sneak roll, he’ll do that, pocketing his badge as he slips through the commotion. If not, he’ll… do something else. :D
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Enoch »

Is there a back door that's accessible without drawing too much attention? If so, Shadrach will look for a way to conceal his rifle there. Otherwise, he'll lock it in the truck.
Either way, he'll slide his combat knife inside his boot and pocket his star.
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by cybersavant »

Marullus wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:24 pm Balygyr sends a drone to watch over the boy. He positions a second one to watch the front of the bar, and the third to circle between the other exits. There is a faint hum as the circular post-tech disks hover, taking up their posts.
Which drones are you positioning where? They have different capabilities.
Báleygr Gangleri sends a stalker to the rear, a primitive to the front, a primitive over Oliver.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by greyarea »

Emile will not be parted from his weapon. He will remove his badge. If he is stopped at the door, he will explain his brotherhood and the requirement that he keep his weapon on his person at all times. Emile Cha+Talk [2d6r2+2]=8+2=10

If disallowed entrance, he will return to the truck and wait.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

Enoch wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:55 am Is there a back door that's accessible without drawing too much attention? If so, Shadrach will look for a way to conceal his rifle there.
Scout report already given due to drones - there's bay doors on the backside that lead into a lower level. There's also the mechanic's bays 100 meters down to the right, which may connect within the strip mall building. Or, the front door, disarmed.

There's no clear rear door to the club itself. Though, one of Balygyr's drones could be easily rigged to carry and drop a rifle if "get my gun when there's trouble" is the backup plan.

Also note: Anyone with the Gunslinger focus can draw a stowed weapon. So you can hide it, tuck it in a satchel or bag, etc. and draw it without penalty. The guard is taking large or readied weapons, not doing a metal detector and pat-down. (Now that I'm looking, this might only apply to Hansel?)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

Ambiance: Bad Things

Nora doesn't turn back at Taavi's call, Hansel stays a half-step behind. Nora argues a moment with the bouncer, finally surrendering her shotgun before she gets in, her weapon deposited in a metal box next to the door. Hans slides past during the argument, looking like a worn local biker, his laser pistol tucked away and hidden. Taavi, prescient of the challenge at the door, tucked away his badge in his pocket, his semi-auto pistol concealed at the ready under his jacket. He tips his hat in friendly greeting as the bouncer eyes him dubiously. "What... you think I'm stupid?" the thug says, reaching under the jacket to take the pistol and add it to the metal lockbox by the door.

Emile, his large-bore handguns conspicuous on each hip, reasons with the massive thug. "It is a religious requirement, you see I am bound to serve the purpose of justice, as I am a Knight of Chun Kuk..." Emile explains, hoping to reason.
"I don't care what type of cuck you are," interrupts the bouncer. "You're not welcome here. You don't belong." The firm set of his protruding brow makes it clear that Emile isn't getting in through reason and his claim to the Knights seemed to make it worse. Emile returns to the truck with Balygyr.

Shadrach deposits his rifle at the truck and pockets his tin star as well, only keeping the combat knife in his boot. He approaches the bar with Oliver sticking close to his side. The bouncer looks over the old man and the little boy appraisingly, then simply grunts non-committally and they enter. The drone, however, does not - the bouncer swats at it and shuts the door, leaving it to return to Balygyr. The first and second drones take up stations watching the front and lower-rear doors less conspicuously.

Sleaze.jpg
Sleaze.jpg (5.41 KiB) Viewed 693 times
The bar is hot, smoky, and smells of body odor and spilled spirits. The harsh glow of neon signs provides much of the dim lighting inside, large signs saying "SLEAZE" and "TIP WELL" covering the wall behind the bar, which covers the whole left wall, adjacent to the door you're entering through. The room opens up to your right, about 40 meters square. The far end is a wooden stage, a row of spotlights hanging from the ceiling and currently illuminating a pair of exotic dancers performing in front of thick velvet curtains, their bodies lit with colored light from the red gel filters in front and pyrotechnic flames behind. Along the front wall to your right are a series of four pool tables, two being used. Two dozen round tables, most of them empty, sit with simple wooden chairs throughout the room. The middle of the far right side of the room is curtained off and segregated, a blue neon sign reading "VIP."

It's barely after dusk and there's only a dozen patrons in the large room. The bartender is plain ugly with a bulbous nose and thick, long mustache, the left side of his face drooping slightly. He is bare-chested under his leather biker vest and glowers appraisingly at each of you as you enter, polishing glasses with a rag though they appear no cleaner for the effort.
Bartender.JPG
Bartender.JPG (16.81 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Six scantily clad women walk the floor, bending over seductively to talk to patrons, each and every one of them eying up each of you as you enter the door, ready to come over at a sign of interest. A thickly-muscled man in pumpjack coveralls sits by himself at a round table, grinning broadly up at the almost naked woman dancing on his tabletop, her feet stepping around the half-dozen empty pint glasses within the man's reach. He flips coins onto the table every few moments, keeping her attention. A middle-aged man with weathered skin, a black fedora, and a long black leather duster sits at the bar nursing a rocks glass of whiskey, studying its bottom. A woman cackles loudly by the pool table, her greasy blond hair pulled back and two front teeth missing as she grins, scooping coins from the edge of the pool table after an apparent win. She's the only fully-dressed woman in the place, wearing trousers, shirt, vest, and a fringed jacket.

Nora goes straight to the bar, standing next to a stool, ordering a whole bottle of rye whiskey. She pushes the glass of ice back at the bartender and takes a swig straight from the bottle neck as she turns to appraise the room.

Actions?

OOC:
Taavi Dex+Sneak [2d6+1]=8+1=9
So close! Difficulty was 10 to conceal past him.

Mysterious Save: [1d20]=2
Somebody failed something. :cool:
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by Enoch »

Shadrach turns to Oliver and mutters "Keep in sight. Stay near Taavi and Hans." He sidles up next to Nora and deposits himself heavily on the stool next to her just as she pushes the glass back across the bar. Reaching out toward the glass, he tells the bartender "I'll...take that glass, if you don't mind."

He smiles grimly at the young woman and pushes the glass toward the bottle, silently asking her to fill it. "What're we drinking to, Nora?"
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by greyarea »

Emile heads back to the truck. He grabs a container of drink and sets himself on the roof, eyes keen for danger.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by jemmus »

Taavi takes the other stool beside Nora. He wants to keep a close eye on her. He can understand her being emotional after what just happened to her and Oliver. But it seems that she might be looking for trouble that they don't need. He nods a greeting to the bartender. Cold beer, please. This is the kind of place where his educated, middle class family man self might get harassed, or even beat up. But a few days out here in the badlands, a couple of gunfights, and surviving serious bodily injury have given him a tougher, more confident demeanor. He doesn't look all that out of place here.
PCs

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel nods in a disinterested way at the entertainment, making it clear that he's not here for that. For now, anyway. He will quickly scan the the bottles behind the bar, looking to see if it's all rot-gut, or if there are any middling or better whiskeys. If it appears to be all bottom shelf, he'll order a beer. If there's any selection, he'll order a bottle of something mid-tier. As he glances over the girls and the bar, he also makes sure to look for anything that looks out of place in an establishment like this.

Notice [3d6c1+1]=7+1=8 should be 9, forgot to update the macro after boosting my wis.
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by cybersavant »

The drone, however, does not - the bouncer swats at it and shuts the door, leaving it to return to Bálygyr. The first and second drones take up stations watching the front and lower-rear doors less conspicuously.

Báleygr Gangleri re-routes the drone along the strip mall portion.

gaming since 1980

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

In the Bar
Shadrach turns to Oliver and mutters "Keep in sight. Stay near Taavi and Hans." Shadrach sidles up next to Nora and deposits himself heavily on the stool next to her just as she pushes the glass back across the bar. Reaching out toward the glass, he tells the bartender "I'll...take that glass, if you don't mind."

Taavi takes the other stool beside Nora. He nods a greeting to the bartender. "Cold beer, please."

The middle-aged man with weathered skin sits three stools down from Taavi. He tips his fedora slightly in a silent greeting to the three newcomers at the bar, his eyes piercing and sober as watches them, his empty rocks glass still held gingerly in his left hand. Alert to the man's gaze, Shadrach looks over and notes the stiff white of a clerical collar, grimy with road dirt.

Oliver looks at Taavi and Shadrach flanking his mom and decides to take the option as far from her reach as he can get, winding between the tables to get over to Hansel. He pauses by the thickly-muscled man in pumpjack coveralls and gawks up at the nearly-naked woman standing on the table above him.

Shadrach smiles grimly at the young woman and pushes the glass toward the bottle, silently asking her to fill it. "What're we drinking to, Nora?"

Nora considers, then fills the glass for Shadrach. She then takes another long draw from the bottle herself before answering, glancing between him and Taavi. She knows the difference between babysitters and allies and her slight frown implies she is deciding which you two are. "Petyr was a regular here. Had a special thing with the headlining act." She takes another swig, ruminating on it a moment before swallowing. "I'm going to find out from her where he is."

The door bouncer signals the bartender after swatting away the drone and closing the front door. Both of them watch the trio at the bar with single-minded intensity. The bouncer leans back against the door, arms crossed. The bartender hovers nearby, still wiping the dirty glasses absently.

"Hmmmm? What the fu' are you doin' here, kid?" grumbles the thickly-muscled man in pumpjack coveralls, furrowing his brow and frowning down at the pre-adolescent disapprovingly as his reverie at what's on his table is interrupted. Oliver scoots away as quick as he can. The pumpjack shakes his head, continuing to frown until another froth-headed pint glass is delivered to improve his mood.

Hansel nods in a disinterested way at the entertainment, making it clear that he's not here for that. For now, anyway. The shelves behind the bar have a surprising selection of decent booze with labels from distilleries even beyond Kumekhna. He orders a glass of something decent, the girl subtly shaking the dangling fringe of her leather bra before she sachets off to get it for him. He leans against the wall near the pool tables as Oliver appears at his elbow, eyes bright and excited, but not saying a word for fear he'll be told to leave again.

The greasy-haired blond woman drops into a squat next to the pool table, a broad grin exposing the holes where her two missing teeth should be in an unsettling way, putting her on eye-contact level with Oliver. "Well hello there, little boy!" she says, her pitch in a sing-song falsetto. "Would you like me to show you how to play pool? Why don't you just come on over here with me."

"Hell with this," says Nora, apparently coming to some abrupt decision. She pushes off the bar from between Taavi and Shadrach to start walking toward the VIP curtain.

Hansel:
Hansel is no stranger to strip clubs and dive bars. While most have a feeling if sad desperation that clings to them like sweat, this place reeks of it, like clinging to the bottom rung of an Earth-9 that died years ago. What strikes him as odd is the demeanor of the working girls, specifically. While their body movements are pleasing, there is a glint of cruelty he catches in their expressions that makes him uneasy. Hansel doesn't see that any other men appear bothered by this - they're not focusing on their faces.
Out by the Truck
Emile heads back to the truck. He pulls himself up onto the roof of the truck, opening the cap on a bottle of water and drinking it thoughtfully as he watches for danger. Emile is disconcerted by the utter silence of the newly-fallen darkness. The hum of the drones is the only think that breaks the stillness. There are no signs of life in the trackless desert wastes around as far as he can see, no lights except the garish neon of this bar.

Báleygr sits inside the truck cab, the keys ready in case he needs to get it started in a hurry. As long as he sits there still, he can split his focus between the truck and the control device resting against his temples like a headband. He monitors the feeds of the drones hovering over the rear bay doors and the front bar door at the same time that he re-routes the third drone along the strip mall portion.

They see the mechanic down at the other end of the mall lose interest in them, heading back into the automotive shop. Nothing stirs at any of the doors. The AI cube glows with a dim blue light, pulsing on the seat next to Báleygr as he feels it in his mind, watching the drone feeds with him. "That sports car there," the cube states placidly to Báleygr, feeding him an annotated video still showing side by side tire tread patterns, "it appears to match the tracks that departed Whighte Farm."
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel admires the fringe on the waitress' bikini and then laughs good-naturedly and says Ma'am, don't let the young mister fool ya none! I'll have you know that he is a shark in young 'ens clothing'. I'm servin' as his durned bodyguard until we get to a town where I can make good on what I ow 'em! It wouldn't be right letting him take advantage of a trusting' soul like yerself! Master Twist, if you please, he indicates for Oliver to mount a barstool. He'll signal to the fringed bikini and order something non-alcoholic and ask if they have anything more substantial than bar snacks. Assuming Oliver joins him, as soon as he's ordered for him, he'll ask him So, what do you think of the entertainment here? pitching his voice a little lower, as he broadcastsI'd pay attention to their eyes. They're harder than one normally sees. That's the kind of thing you should notice.

Pausing for the delivery of food, he sees Nora get up and head for the Champaign room, Hansel sighs and looks for any stairs or interior doors he may have missed the first time. He stays where he is and continues to talk while broadcasting You should always be aware of your surroundings. For instance, that big man by the front door, you can be sure that he's trained for fighting and likely armed. And you can trust that this gentleman with the rag has something unpleasant within arm's reach. You should make a point of not getting on their bad side. pausing, and stopping transmission Just not worth it. anyway, I never did let you answer, what DO you think of the entertainment? As he prompts Oliver for a reply, he measures distances and hopes the others understood what his targets will be.

Talk roll to convince the blonde to leave Oliver be.
Talk [2d6+3]=4+3=7
Not his best patter ever, but maybe good enough for the purpose.

What he's pretty sure is a pre-fight assessment of the facility.
Notice [3d6c1+2]=11+2=13

Assuming it's legit to go this far...
Held action: Quick-draw and shoot at the bartender with laser pistol.
Trigger: Bartender drawing a weapon.
Laser Pistol [1d20+3]=6+3=9 Damage [1d6+1]=5+1=6
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygr Gangleri speaks out loud to transmit to everyone. "I think i found Petyr's car in the parking lot. Does everyone copy?" Redirect the strip mall drone over to the car in question.
gaming since 1980

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by greyarea »

Emile nods and finishes the last sip of water, closing the bottle. He kicks himself off of the roof, landing next to the truck. His sun-shooter in his hand, he heads to the car to investigate. He will watch it for a time in the shadow, his enhanced eyes looking for any movement or even the radio waves of a communication. If all is quiet, he will move closer, peering inside the car, using every bit of his Panspectral Optics to take it all in but not touching the car.

Notice [2d6+1]=5+1=6
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by jemmus »

Taavi on his barstool looks down at the counter and accesses his psychic state. He contacts the marshalls' minds: first Emile's, then Baleygr's, then Shadrach's, then Hansel's. Marshal [name], don't be alarmed, this is Taavi Perttu. Very soon we marshalls will all be able to communicate with each other via telepathic thought. Marshalls outside, Nora has gone to confront Petr's mistress in here. We all heard that Petr's vehicle may be parked outside. If we find him, it seems that we must somehow break his body parts to immobilize him. Perhaps with a chair, a table leg, or whatever we can find. I'm following Nora into the VIP room here.

He knocks back what's left of his beer and hurries after Nora.
Using the "party line" option. GM, please let me know if I'm not doing this right.
Spent Effort 4, 0 left for today.

Transmit Thought (Level-1). The telepath can send thoughts and images over a Telepathic Contact, allowing two-way communication with a willing target as an Instant action when desired. (The target must be visible or otherwise perceptible to the telepath’s unaided senses. Opening a contact requires the telepath to Commit Effort for the day as a Main Action, and the contact lasts for a scene.)
Last edited by jemmus on Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Return to “Dust to Dust (SWN)”