[003] Into the War Camp

Marullus
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [003] Into the War Camp

#261 Post by ffilz »

Taka will help with the various tasks in any way that makes sense (I'm not quite clear on all the social and religious dynamics here).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo takes two of the arrows to replace the ones he shot into the tower guard. He's examines the high quality katana with keen interest. "Perhaps with my share of the reward I can buy this from the group," he thinks. He has no idea what the price for this kind of blade would be. Probably more than his share of the reward.

He says to the bound bandit, I'll be back before you can begin to try any mischief and hurries toward Eiji and Kobi's grave. Thank you for your hard work, Eiji-san, he says. He bows his head, closes his eyes, folds his hands, and says a prayer to the kami-sama for the warrior's peaceful repose and good rebirth. Then, Eiji-san, what do you want to do with the robber? I'm sorry, I will state an opinion. It seems only honorable to either free him or give him a quick death. Rather than leaving bound for more hours.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Marullus »

Souta backs away from the cavern, hand still on her blade. Gathering fuel, she resolves to keep a fire lit through the night. While there is small fuel for cookfires in the kitchen, the small bowl-valley doesn't sufficient wood for a large fire. It appears the bandits were loathe to do the hard work of collecting and stockpiling logs, just as they refused to sweep the floors or clean the pots. A few trips up the trail and past the watchtower to the forest could provide plenty and there are axes in the house that can be used, but as it is already getting dark, that could be hazardous.
Decision points: Do you use the fireplace in the kitchen or a campfire outside? Do you get wood for a larger fire?

The bound bandit scowls as Toshizo looks coveteously at his sword, but can say nothing about it. Toshizo leaves him there and goes out to the graves. The bandit is wiggling against his bonds when Ha comes in... the bandit stops and sits in sullen silence.

Outside, Eiji smiles serenely, pleased that Toshizo joins him in the prayers for Kobi.

"Eiji-san, what do you want to do with the robber?" asks Toshizo. "I'm sorry, I will state an opinion. It seems only honorable to either free him or give him a quick death. Rather than leaving bound for more hours."

"The Buddha says, 'an action, even if it brings benefit to oneself, cannot be considered a good action if it causes physical and mental pain to another being,'" replies Eiji. "I would let him go."
ffilz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:39 pm Taka will help with the various tasks in any way that makes sense (I'm not quite clear on all the social and religious dynamics here).
First: If you're not enjoying the character, you can take Eiji or make a new one. I'm totally okay with that, I want you to have fun.

Second: Social dynamics for Taka...
  • This is a very rigid caste society, and you've got the most clout. Your family is in the top three for this province, second only to the Daimyo and the guy who married the Daimyo's daughter. Next is Souta, who is a Low Samurai - her family name has no land, but at least they've been accepted in service (to the guy who married the Daimyo's daughter). Ha and Toshizo are both ronin, their families cling to the bottom of the social order - as warriors, they don't have much standing without a Lord to swear to but still stand above the commoners. Eiji was an Eta - an unmentionable who handles garbage and the dead and is unclean and beneath everyone in society - and rises above that only because his family status is erased when he swore his vows as a Buddhist monk. (The fact that he's HAPPILY handling and burying bodies now is socially necessary and awkward simultaneously, but acceptable in his buddhist role. A Shinto couldn't touch them.)
  • Your status is at risk as a Shugenja, depending on how you comport yourself. Sorcerers can find themselves shunned or worse if they do bad things. So far you've been circumspect, and all you've lost is half your starting On... which still leaves you with enough to throw your weight.
  • Because the caste system is central, status comes into play as the basis for all social interactions. If you want to convince someone to do something, it is a comparison of status then modified by social arts - which include your Rhetoric, Tea Ceremony, Dancing, etc. (Your character is far more formidable with social arts than she is with dagger, shuriken, or magic.)
  • How you establish yourself in scenes (including with the PCs) will matter a lot. I mean, you have the family clout to potentially offer any of them the respect and status they desire. You also could end up with them turning on you if you are an evil wizard. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that an obviously rich noble woman with a recognizable family crest walking into the battle alone and unafraid spooked the last two bandits... doing something like that again is possible but depends on your roleplay.
  • Things you could do: You can try to make demands of this prisoner before you release him (a social contest), you could use your magic to pry more out of him (Fetters of Truth), you can detect magic or establish deceptions going into the cave to give advantages, and as at least the Hag there is also a spellcaster you could end up angling for countermagic or sorcerer's duels. Long term: You can establish yourself as a high-class court wizard for either the War Camp or the Daimyo, you could amass temporal power by getting warriors to swear to you and your family, you could return in downtime to your mentor and learn more Tea Magic, you have a motivation to get into the camp and determine the truth about the man who killed your older brother, you can politically make alliances that shore up your family (which is otherwise shaky - your dad put his status in jeapordy by swearing to be a buddhist, your older brother was slain, and you're a female shugenja... you're ripe for toppling unless you personally do something about it.)

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#264 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Can Souta deconstruct the house, chopping apart the interior partitions of the hideout, specifically the sliding screens, to use as fuel for a fire throughout the night outside the hideout?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#265 Post by ffilz »

Does Taka think we killed the leader? I've lost track, is this bandit one of the officers or just a peon?

If not the leader, Taka will address the bandit and offer mercy that he may depart and never show his face in Hida province again in exchange for information. She wants to know more about the hag that directs the bandits and why the hag is so interested in the dowry box.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by jemmus »

Since I'm also online when ffilz asked his question, I'll jump in and answer. The captive is an officer, one of three, I think. The leader is the hag in the cave.
Souta and Eiji's dog have found the cave's entrance.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#267 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, officer we may not want to just let go. Another culture question, would we be expected to bring a captive back with the recovered dowry box or just his head?

With my lack of familiarity with the setting, I'm not sure I'm a good candidate to be a party leader... I might well be better off playing the Buddhist priest... (which would be interesting, playing the other side of Gakusho)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Marullus »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 pmCan Souta deconstruct the house, chopping apart the interior partitions of the hideout, specifically the sliding screens, to use as fuel for a fire throughout the night outside the hideout?
Wow, yeah. Controlled-burn of the house totally works. :lol:
ffilz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 pmHmm, officer we may not want to just let go. Another culture question, would we be expected to bring a captive back with the recovered dowry box or just his head?
His head is worth a bounty of 2sp from Shoshen Makoto.
His dishonored life would not be expected. (A individual bandit may or may not prefer honor more than life, of course.)

ffilz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 pmWith my lack of familiarity with the setting, I'm not sure I'm a good candidate to be a party leader... I might well be better off playing the Buddhist priest... (which would be interesting, playing the other side of Gakusho)
You have the highest status, that doesn't mean you have to be leader. That's up to your roleplay.
If you'd rather play Eiji, that's fine by me. This is all your choice. I'll NPC whomever you don't pick.

jemmus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:08 pm The captive is an officer, one of three, I think. The leader is the hag in the cave.
Souta and Eiji's dog have found the cave's entrance.
All those statements are true.
ffilz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 pm If not the leader, Taka will address the bandit and offer mercy that he may depart and never show his face in Hida province again in exchange for information. She wants to know more about the hag that directs the bandits and why the hag is so interested in the dowry box.
How are you doing this IC? Roleplay so I know how to react to it. If it's a social demand, then I need a d20 roll for each skill that is part of your scene (status, rhetoric, tea ceremony, etc.) If it is using your Fetters of Truth spell, include two d20 rolls for that, too.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#269 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Souta will begin collecting the fusuma in a pile outside the house. Once there are a decent number she will start breaking the frames apart. The pieces will get separated into three piles, larger framing pieces get separated from smaller pieces and the shoji paper gets folded coarsely in its own pile. Once there is enough material broken apart to keep the fire going for a short time, Souta will work on lighting it a safe distance outside the house in a position that will light the area of the approach to the house from the precipice she discovered with Jiva. She will continue to break apart and sort the frames as the fire burns and night comes to the valley.

Souta will speak to whoever she passes about her concerns of the danger of the cave and point out the location with a gesture.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Marullus »

From here forward, Ffilz is going to take over playing Eiji as a PC. Taka will NPC along behind you until you return to the war camp unless someone wants to take her as a second PC.

Reposting this to shift us back to IC... I'll wait for Toshizo and Ha to act before I continue.

Marullus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:29 pm Souta backs away from the cavern, hand still on her blade. Gathering fuel, she resolves to keep a fire lit through the night. While there is small fuel for cookfires in the kitchen, the small bowl-valley doesn't sufficient wood for a large fire. It appears the bandits were loathe to do the hard work of collecting and stockpiling logs, just as they refused to sweep the floors or clean the pots. A few trips up the trail and past the watchtower to the forest could provide plenty and there are axes in the house that can be used, but as it is already getting dark, that could be hazardous.

The bound bandit scowls as Toshizo looks coveteously at his sword, but can say nothing about it. Toshizo leaves him there and goes out to the graves. The bandit is wiggling against his bonds when Ha comes in... the bandit stops and sits in sullen silence.

Outside, Eiji smiles serenely, pleased that Toshizo joins him in the prayers for Kobi.

"Eiji-san, what do you want to do with the robber?" asks Toshizo. "I'm sorry, I will state an opinion. It seems only honorable to either free him or give him a quick death. Rather than leaving bound for more hours."

"The Buddha says, 'an action, even if it brings benefit to oneself, cannot be considered a good action if it causes physical and mental pain to another being,'" replies Eiji. "I would let him go."
Souta will begin collecting the fusuma in a pile outside the house. Once there are a decent number she will start breaking the frames apart. The pieces will get separated into three piles, larger framing pieces get separated from smaller pieces and the shoji paper gets folded coarsely in its own pile. Once there is enough material broken apart to keep the fire going for a short time, Souta will work on lighting it a safe distance outside the house in a position that will light the area of the approach to the house from the precipice she discovered with Jiva. She will continue to break apart and sort the frames as the fire burns and night comes to the valley.

The bonfire burns outside the east side of the house, dispelling the darkness in the near area and providing a shadowy illumination to the edge of the small valley. The cleft in the mountainside is still concealed behind the buckle of stone, the flickering firelight making it seem perhaps more ominous in the distance. (It's 80 yards from the fire.) The main room of the building is less macabre with the bodies removed, but the congealed blood still marks the floor and clots on the straw mats. Eiji and Toshizo secure the southern doors as they come in from the burial there. Souta opens the eastern door panels as she drags the internal walls of the house outside one at a time.

Sitting and tending the bonfire, Souta prepares to speak to any strangers who pass by, but becomes more fully aware of the remoteness of their position. In the small bowl valley several hours hike up the uninhabited mountainside, this house was perhaps once a true peaceful home or secluded retreat for a jisamurai. Now, it is truly remote and a fine place for the bandits to have escaped all scrutiny. If Souta hadn't followed the bandits directly, she never would have found the place. With the tales of the mountain lord and his inhuman court, being this far into the mountains would dissuade all but the stoutest hearts. In the dark, moonless night with the flickering firelight making shadows on the cliffs to the east, it is easy to imagine the foul hag, her small, warty and misshapen bakemon-sho servitors, and worse...
Attachments
Brigand Building - Full Valley w fire.png
Brigand Building - Full Valley w fire.png (204.16 KiB) Viewed 336 times

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo said to Ha and Eiji, I have had second thoughts. I don't think we should release this robber just yet. He may return in the night with bakemono or something else. If we release him in the morning, we can watch him leave the valley. But when we depart for the cave, he could return here and arm and armor himself. Then we would have an enemy at our back and enemies to our front. If he were buke we could consider paroling him on his word to not fight us again. But he's not. He's robber and probably a murderer or worse, with no honesty or honor.

He looks at the bandit. Toshizo knows that he could hear every word. The 16-year-old pauses and tries to think what his formerly samurai, now ronin, father would do. I think allowing an enemy to live and possibly attack is not wise. Any general or any regular bushi would think it's foolish and unnecessarily dangerous. He looks at Eiji with sad and apologetic eyes.
PCs

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#272 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Souta kneels outside the edge of the fire and looks into the flames. She thinks about her job of transporting the dowry box and resolves to herself that she will recover the box and complete the task. She shifts some of the timber and adds a few additional pieces to the fire to keep it fueled. Souta steps away from the flames into the darkness at the southeast corner of the house, allowing her eyes to adjust. She remains in this position scanning the path to the cleft and its surrounds.

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#273 Post by jmacatty »

Ha looks at Toshizo, We should kill this bandit.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo doesn't want to be the one to kill the bandit. He's higher rank than Ha and could compel him to do it. He has a thought. Maybe just strike off his stronger hand, so he can't wield and weapon and becomes harmless? But he has never heard of bushi doing that the prisoners. Either they're freed or killed. Not maimed. There must be a reason for the custom. His young, inexperienced self is not the one to decide to go against Nippon's traditions.

He drags the prisoner out to the graves area. He suspects that Ha might offer to behead the robber. Bushi are easily to test their blades and their skill against a human target. A rolled mat or even a stray dog is a poor simulation. But if Ha doesn't offer to, he'll draw his katana and do it himself, taking time to make sure it's a clean and sure stroke.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Marullus »

I am letting this play out between you as PCs because it is a poignant scene. Since Ffilz is now playing Eiji, I will wait for him to participate, too.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#276 Post by ffilz »

I know the Buddhists got pretty militant, so I don't see any reason Eiiji would expect protection for the bandit, if I'm misunderstanding something though, I'd be happy to be enlightened, but based on my understanding:

Eijii is resigned to the fate of the bandit and will prepare himself for burial of the body once deed is done.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Marullus »

Ha?

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#278 Post by jmacatty »

Ha looks at the young warrior who is obviously confused about what to do. If we are not going to kill this dog, I will offer a compromise. I will enter into a death duel with him. Toshizo, draw and nock your bow, if he tries to run, kill him. Untie him, give him water and when he is ready, I will kill him, with his sword in his hand.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by jemmus »

Hearing Ha's proposal, Toshizo smiles. This is an honorable solution. He knows that the seriously wounded robber doesn't stand much chance, but it is at least a chance. Better than being slaughtered like chicken. He unties the bandit officer and nocks a togari-ya armor piercing arrow. Robber, you can get your own katana and water. And food, if you want it. He assumes the criminal will take the fine katana he was fighting with earlier. The one with the blade that Toshizo's body and cheek know the feel of.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Marullus »

Being unbound and ungagged, the ronin straightens himself up, physically brushing the indignity off his arms and straightening his clothes. He ignores the bow that Toshizo holds upon him and crosses to pick up the fine sword - the same one that Toshizo coveted - and lays it across his lap as he sits at the table with a cup of water and unwraps a ration of simple food. The light of the bonfire outside the open doors illuminates the room, warming it against the chill. The crackling of the fire outside, Amano Souta standing a silent vigil there, is the only sound as he chews. He lets Ha stand and wait, not acknowledging him until the food is gone and the water has been drunk, one sip at a time.

He suppresses a wince, rising slowly as he feels and measures each of the bandaged wounds on his body. He reaches back and touches the gravest of them - the cowardly stab wounds in his lower back. Finally he lifts his eyes to meet Ha, who stands waiting for the response to his challenge. The ronin never looks at Toshizo nor his bow.

"Robbers call me robber... I am Hagiwara Kenshin, and in service to the Mountain Lords. I am not some haggard low bushi, attacking men in their sleep at some Oyabun's pitiful bidding. I call you cowards and low servants of thieves. I already bested your companion," clearly meaning Toshizo, but still not deigning acknowledge him, "and I will best you as well for you are without honor. Then you will depart in shame, while I still hold my grandfather's sword in my hand."

Accepting Ha's challenge, he steps out into the center of the bloodstained floor, raising his fine blade to a ready position and waiting for Ha to do the same.

Ha: 22 / 32
Officer #3: 2 / 35

Hagiwara Kenshin, Officer #3
MNA: 2
BAP: 10 (10, 5)
BMA: 5
AC: 3

BCS:
Kyujitsu: 11
Kenjutsu: 12 +2 for fine Katana (1d6+4 damage)

BMA: 3
AC: 3+1
HP: 32 / 32

BCS:
Kyujitsu: 12
Kenjutsu: 12
(phase 10)
Hagiwara Kenshin (BCS 14) [1d20]=5 Damage [1d6+4]=4+4=8

The heavily wounded ronin is nonetheless twice as fast as the hale Ha. He snaps into motion, his katana a blur as it slices across in a strong arc. The blade slides easily between the joints of Ha's armor and cuts deep into his flesh. (-8)

Ha: 22 14 / 32 (-8)
Officer #3: 2 / 35

(Phase 5)
Ha acts as a Primary action, then he strikes again as a secondary action.
Last edited by Marullus on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”