IC III

thirdkingdom
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC III

#421 Post by Rex »

Shmara

Shmara watches the negotiations with interest.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#422 Post by The_Wanderer »

Mardan Cy

Mardan Cy cautiously approaches the faun and peruses his supplies. "I do appreciate a good story, but a rich man I am not. Also we are travelers so my ability to take large items is unfortunately limited. Do you have any smaller items that carry with them a story of a previous owner?"
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#423 Post by VonAlric »

Notai

Notai steps over to the wares spread on the ground and casts an eye across them, seeing if anything looks like it could be more valuable in the normal realm.

Wulfka

A quick glance tells her all she wants to know, there's nothing there an adventurer like her wants. She continues to keep a lookout for anything else that might be coming in the group's direction.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#424 Post by thirdkingdom »

Atlictoatl wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:51 pm Whifflespice Tangleblossom

Whifflespice arises, and watches the interaction with some interest.

<<Well met and pleasant crossings, baryga,>> he says in Faery. <<What news of the road to Mereldan, and the Verdant Field itself?>>
Finreal

The faun starts, literally hopping with surprise. <<"Your grace!">> he says, taking in Whifflespice's appearance with a swift once over, and bowing low, answering if the same language, <<"forgive me, I did not realize these mortals traveled with one from this land. I just came from Mereldan, plying my wares. The Duke is in a rage, to be frank. Ogres from the Wild Fae appear to have kidnapped one of his daughters! The whole village is humming, like a tree just before lightning strikes!">>
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#425 Post by thirdkingdom »

kalstone wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:41 pm
thirdkingdom wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:45 am Finreal

The faun waves his hand dismissively in the direction of the scabbard. "Oh, that old thing? I don't know, actually. Won it in a game of cards a few days back." His eyes narrow. "Why, are you interested in it?"
Svenn

"Oh, it just reminds me of one I had when I was a child. What would you want in exchange for it?"
Finreal

The faun looks Svenn up and down with a practiced eye. "Hmm," he says, then perks up, "is that a lantern I see! I have always wanted one of those! I will trade you this scabbard for that lantern!"
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#426 Post by thirdkingdom »

The_Wanderer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:28 pm Mardan Cy

Mardan Cy cautiously approaches the faun and peruses his supplies. "I do appreciate a good story, but a rich man I am not. Also we are travelers so my ability to take large items is unfortunately limited. Do you have any smaller items that carry with them a story of a previous owner?"
Finreal

"Oh, all of these items arrayed before you are of notable provenance, my good sir! I would not deign sully my blanket with anything mundane, pedestrian, or insignificant! Why this," he holds up a tarnished silver fork that is missing a tine, "I have it on good authority that this was the favorite dining utensil of the mortal archmage Marsa Dal, he who is well know for discovering six of the esoterica, himself! And this right here," he indicates a small, rusted hammer, the kind that a cobbler might use while working on shoes, "this hammer has seen all manner of wickedness! It once hung in the shop of the notorious murderer, Cwen Candla the Killer Cordwainer, on the very wall overlooking the depredations of such a dastardly degenerate! If it could talk, imagine the stories it could tell!"

Mardan Cy might believe every word the young faung is spinning, but those adventurers who are more worldwise are pretty sure he is, as they say, full of shit.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#427 Post by kalstone »

Svenn

Svenn looks at his lantern, looks dubiously at the scabbard and shrugs. "Worth a roll of the dice I suppose, you have yourself a deal Master Finreal!"
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#428 Post by thirdkingdom »

kalstone wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:39 pm Svenn

Svenn looks at his lantern, looks dubiously at the scabbard and shrugs. "Worth a roll of the dice I suppose, you have yourself a deal Master Finreal!"
The faun rubs his hands together gleefully. "Excellent," he says, "excellent indeed!" He quickly hands over the scabbard, and, seeing no more interest, stows his wares and the blanket upon which they were arrayed within the span of an eyeblink. "I thank you for your business," he says, "good luck in Meraldan!"
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#429 Post by kalstone »

Svenn

"Well at least I have a souvenir of our trip to Faery if nothing else."
Not sure if he will get another shot at Magical Engineering or if someone has a Detect Magic they willing to waste.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#430 Post by The_Wanderer »

Mardan Cy
"I would like to purchase the hammer please. I'm quite certain I've heard a tail of Cwen Candla the Killer Cordwainer."
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#431 Post by thirdkingdom »

The_Wanderer wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:26 pm Mardan Cy
"I would like to purchase the hammer please. I'm quite certain I've heard a tail of Cwen Candla the Killer Cordwainer."
Finreal

The faun looks Marden Cy up and down critically. "Very well!" he exclaims, "What have you to offer in exchange?"
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#432 Post by Atlictoatl »

thirdkingdom wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:07 pm The faun rubs his hands together gleefully. "Excellent," he says, "excellent indeed!" He quickly hands over the scabbard, and, seeing no more interest, stows his wares and the blanket upon which they were arrayed within the span of an eyeblink. "I thank you for your business," he says, "good luck in Meraldan!"
Whifflespice Tangleblossom

Before the faun leaves, Tangleblossom thanks him. <<Many thanks. You should be similarly forewarned that Prince Nacknosh is in a froth.>>
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#433 Post by The_Wanderer »

thirdkingdom wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:31 pm
Finreal

The faun looks Marden Cy up and down critically. "Very well!" he exclaims, "What have you to offer in exchange?"
Clearly on uncertain ground, the young man (really still a boy) looks uncertainly at the small hammer. "There are two things - one is gold. I would offer you 50 gold for such a story. The other is more valuable still..."

He pulls out a small silver mirror with a scratch across the face. The edges are slightly tarnished.

"Have you heard of the medusa Sen Vo?..Likely not as this is a thing of the mortal plane...This mirror is the last known artifact -and dare I say the most important - from the Party of the Wandering Eye. Of the 6 brave men and women who entered the lair of Sen Vo, only the wizard Zombucha survived. The remainder stand as statues in the cave, waiting to be released from a state of eternal petrification. Of course they stand next to the petrified form of Sen Vo whose did not appreciate the image of her own gaze in this very mirror...

Of course a wise tinker like yourself would be prudent to ask, why this young man would want to give me this valuable artifact. As my friends here will confirm though, I am a spreader of stories. What better way is there to do that here than to plant this seed in Faery, hoping that an individual like yourself cultivate that story."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#434 Post by Rex »

Shmara

"An interesting tale Marden."
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#435 Post by thirdkingdom »

The_Wanderer wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:55 am
thirdkingdom wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:31 pm
Finreal

Clearly on uncertain ground, the young man (really still a boy) looks uncertainly at the small hammer. "There are two things - one is gold. I would offer you 50 gold for such a story. The other is more valuable still..."

He pulls out a small silver mirror with a scratch across the face. The edges are slightly tarnished.

"Have you heard of the medusa Sen Vo?..Likely not as this is a thing of the mortal plane...This mirror is the last known artifact -and dare I say the most important - from the Party of the Wandering Eye. Of the 6 brave men and women who entered the lair of Sen Vo, only the wizard Zombucha survived. The remainder stand as statues in the cave, waiting to be released from a state of eternal petrification. Of course they stand next to the petrified form of Sen Vo whose did not appreciate the image of her own gaze in this very mirror...

Of course a wise tinker like yourself would be prudent to ask, why this young man would want to give me this valuable artifact. As my friends here will confirm though, I am a spreader of stories. What better way is there to do that here than to plant this seed in Faery, hoping that an individual like yourself cultivate that story."
The adventurers watch as the faun's eyes grow wide as Marden Cy tells his tale, and by the end the wandering fey's mouth is agape. "Done!" he exclaims, "Gold means nothing to me, but that tale . . ." he whistles, "that's worth a month of lodging in the court of any noble, it is! Take it, the hammer is yours!" He eagerly grabs the scratched silver mirror.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#436 Post by The_Wanderer »

Mardan Cy

"You have a deal!" He exchanges items with the faun, grabs the hammer and closes his eyes.

He smiles and says, "Safe travels to you!"

Behind him, Feargus watches quietly, nods, and walks away.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#437 Post by Rex »

Shmara

Not wanting to go back to sleep with the faun around, she packs up her stuff and readies for another day of travel.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#438 Post by thirdkingdom »

Sixthmonth, Twentythirdday?
Third (barely) Day in Faery

Continuing back with his tuneless whistle, the faun shoulders his pack and sets off south, clicking his heels every so often. Roused so early, the adventurers pack up and hit the road. They encounter no other travelers -- Whifflespice knows that they are still in the remote reaches of Faery, and if there were any of the fey folk around they would likely avoid such a large party of travelers, even one made up of mostly mortals.

The woods thin somewhat, not in size, but in spacing. By the time everyone is hot and tired from the day's travel the terrain has transitioned to wide, verdant fields of tall green flower-speckled flowers, dotted here and there with copses of trees. Whifflespice informs the travelers that they are nearing on the boundaries of the Verdant Fields, and should reach Meraldan around midday the following day.
: 1d6 4
Sixthmonth, Twentyfourthday?
Fourth (barely) Day in Faery

It is during the fourth watch, as the seemingly everpresent sun rises in what normally be mid-morning, when Wulfka and Svenn are surprised to see a gang of ogres appear from behind a copse of trees, some fifty yards away. These ogres are not dressed as finely as the Nacknosh's guards, but are instead clad in rough brown pantaloons and black and white checkered vests, wielding axes, and swords, and long pointed spears. There are nine of them, and they seem to be just as surprised as the two adventurers!
: 1d6 1
Last roll for which watch the encounter occurs during:: 1d8 3 1d6 1 1d6 1 4d20 52 2d6 6 1d6 4

Svenn and Wulfka are on watch duty again.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#439 Post by Atlictoatl »

thirdkingdom wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:16 pm Sixthmonth, Twentythirdday?
Third (barely) Day in Faery

Roused so early, the adventurers pack up and hit the road. They encounter no other travelers -- Whifflespice knows that they are still in the remote reaches of Faery, and if there were any of the fey folk around they would likely avoid such a large party of travelers, even one made up of mostly mortals.
During the day's travel, Tangleblossom walks next to Mardan Cy for a time.

"How did you meet the wizard Zombucha?" he asks the bard, apparently as gullible as the rest of Faery to a tale spun by mortals.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#440 Post by Rex »

Shmara

"I don't like this."

She readies her spear.

Return to “A Brave New World (OSE)”