#161 Post by Marullus »

Yeah, this is exceptionally brutal. :o

Just waiting for Taka's move!
jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: [003] Into the War Camp

#162 Post by jmacatty »

OOC Any physical d20 that rolled like this would have already met the garbage disposal.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#163 Post by ffilz »

Taka will throw a shuriken at the ronin in front of her:

Assuming that's a hit, assuming I'm reading right, at 2 yards he's within Taka's STR so +1 damage step, so 1d6,L -> 1d10,L:

Well, that might help things a bit...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Marullus »

Blessings before sunset:Hit Points:
Ha: 1; 3 turns (Active Round 3/4/5)
Eiji: 1; 3 turns
Toshizo: 0; (Active Round 5/6)
Ha 15 / 32
Toshizo 11-10=1 / 24
Taka 9 / 9
Eiji 11 / 11
Kobi -33-4-16-8 = -61/ooc]

Worth noting: Toshi is prone (-5) but not passive. Kobi is passive (-5) but not prone.

Toshi, Taka, Eiji:
Eiji finishes his propitiations to the Buddha and rises to his feet. Jīva wags his tail and follows happily as they walk across the entry room to join Taka at the doorway.

Toshizo momentarily panics has he tumbles to the floor. "One downward stroke and I am no more!"
...and he is right. The kimono'd ronin standing above him takes full advantage of Toshizo's moment of weakness, placing his hand on the pommel of his katana and driving it in a powerful downward thrust through Toshizo's armor and through his chest. (-10, critical hit... 1hp remaining)

Toshizo's training engages and somewhat calms him, overcoming shock as one lung fails to reinflate, gurgling. "I must stand, and quickly!" Toshizo pulls off his opponent's blade tries to hop to his feet with a well-practiced battle maneuver, but his foe steps in on him and keeps him off-balance. Toshizo brings up both katana and wakizashi and smacks away his opponent's blades in a forceful parry as his foe tries to strike again, to end him. The heavily-armored bushi meets his opponent's gaze with confidence, ignoring the blood running out from under his metal chest plates, even as he remains prone.

Focused on the armored bushi, the officer momentarily turned his back on the frighteningly-calm noble woman. He cries out in pain as Taka flings a narrow blade and embeds it in the man's left kidney (-9).

OOC:
Phase 10: NPC officer #3 moves to optimal for katana, attacks Toshizo. He has a +5 due to Toshizo being prone.
Officer #3 [1d20]=1[1d6+2]=3+2=5 F***. Really?!?
Officer #3 Critical success [1d10]=3[1d20]=13
Double damage to 10.

Phase 6: Eiji finishes prayers and stands/walks.

Phase 5: Toshizo lost 4th round action - I am adjudicating that that is because he has to stand up (he's not passive), which requires a Speed ST because he's engaged under the "Alter Position" action.
Toshizo Speed ST (BCS 7) [1d20]=19 :roll: :(

NPC officer #3 attacks Toshi with katana (secondary)
Officer #3 [1d20]=19[1d6+2]=2+2=4

Phase 2: Taka hits Officer #3 with a shuriken for 9hp.

Ha, Kobi:
Ha has his hands full as he engages in the lethal dance with the ronin officer and a bandit. The three of them strike and parry, but the uncoordinated efforts of Ha's two foes seems to give him just enough edge that no blows are landed. None dares take their eyes off the blades of their oponents as they step over the corpses of the dead bandits, careful footwork on the grimy floor mats now soaking with blood.

Kobi shakes off his grievous wounds, wiping the blood from his eyes and flicking it off his fist onto the ground. (one action skipped, now not passive.) The seven bandits seek to keep their advantage, but Kobi's spear is a whirl amidst his foes, parrying each of their blades in turn, until one of the bandits stabs him in the back (-4)... a fatal move, for the bandit. Kobi's spear lashes out in a reverse strike maneuver and slices the bandit's throat (-10) before he can even withdraw his blade. With a combination of awe and fear, the six remaining bandits strike with renewed fervor, Kobi undeniably slowed by his wounds. One sinks a sword right through his chest (-16, critical hit), another slices the meat of his thigh like a roast (-8)... blood soaks almost every inch of his kimono to a wet, maroon mess, even the greatest fighters could not survive this onslaught of blows. "Unh..." grunts the warrior, centering himself and giving a "come at me" gesture with one hand.

OOC:
OOC the rabble attacking should be getting a -1 for each rabble attacking he same target as hindrances.

It took some searching, but I found what I think you're referencing:

Code: Select all

Distractions
These are things which impinge on the senses of the attacker in
such a way as to impair his ability to engage in combat. Distractions
may be ignored or limited by successful application of willpower. A
character may ignore a number of Distractions equal to his Effect
Number on a Will Saving Throw. Such a Saving Throw need only be
made once per Detailed Turn.
Distractions include each friendly character within range of the
attacker's weapon, something impeding free use of a limb, other
things described as placing the character in Engaged status, other
things described as Distractions by the rules, and, of course,
anything so declared by the Gamesmaster.
It's a good thought, as I had missed that! It is 'friendly within range of attacker' so with Kobi being surrounded, all seven are not within range of each other. I will say that one person to each side of each attacker is in range, so -2 to each attack. I also don't want to roll 7 Will Saves and then 7 attack rolls... with their save having a BCS of 3, I'm going to assume failure and just apply a -2 to all BCS there. For those attacking Ha (one officer, one rabble) I will apply a -1 for each other as they coordinate, too.

Phase 12: Kobi loses his next action phase, clearing his head (no longer Passive).

Phase 10: NPC officer #1 primary attack phase on Ha.
Officer #1 on Ha [1d20]=9 [1d6+2]=4+2=6 (Miss)
One bandit goes against Ha:
Bandit on Ha [1d20]=13 [1d6+2]=5+2=7 (Miss)
Seven bandits go against the unarmored Kobi: [front flank flank flank flank rear rear]
Bandits on Kobi [1d20]=18[1d20]=15[1d20]=11[1d20]=16[1d20]=16[1d20]=7[1d20]=19
Bandits on Kobi [1d6+2]=2+2=4

Phase 6: Kobi strikes a bandit
Kobi sojutsu on a bandit [1d20]=4 [1d10+3]=7+3=10 (1 bandit slain)

Phase 5: Ha strikes with Katana at Officer #1 and misses.
Officer #1 and one remaining bandit strikes at Ha (secondary action)
Officer #1 and Bandit on Ha (secondary) [1d20]=11[1d6+2]=3+2=5[1d20]=4[1d6+2]=5+2=7 ...only a miss because of that Hinderance!

Six remaining bandits on Kobi (secondary): [front flank flank flank flank rear rear]
Bandits on Kobi (secondary) [1d20]=18[1d20]=17[1d20]=15[1d20]=1[1d20]=2[1d20]=14
Bandits on Kobi (secondary) [1d6+2]=6+2=8[1d10]=2[1d20]=9 [1d6+2]=6+2=8 Ouch. 8x2=-16, and -8...
Kobi spends 1 Ki point to continue to act next around (1061.3).
Okay, Toshizo is back on his feet, has a +2 from Eiji's blessing (which I assume you use now) and has 1hp remaining.
jemmus wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:55 pmJust so I understand about moving in combat to side or rear facings. When Toshizo's combat with Officer #3 started, they were Engaged and in each other's Front facing. Could either move to the other's side facing during their phase and still attack?

Basic Action:
Close To Engage
This Option allows Unengaged characters to move up to one-half
their Base Movement Allowance in yards and execute an attack on
the same Action Phase.

Primary Action:
Combat Action
This Option allows a character to make an attack using the combat
rules in section 1117.0. The character is allowed to move up to 1 yard
during the execution of the Option. This movement may occur
before or after the attack is to occur, but must be specified before
making the actual die roll to resolve the attack.

Secondary Action: 
Attack
This Option allows a character to make an attack using a Bugei or
his Brawling Capability.

Any of the Options that allow the character to move only 1 yard are
assumed to allow this movement in any direction, forwards,
backwards, or sideways, without penalty.
A good question, so I had to look it up. I was assuming that characters continuously circling each other to gain advantage was part of melee (and would have allowed that in a 10' wide hallway). It looks like you can move 1 yard on your primary action which allows you to step into his side facing, or change orientation to face him, but not both. On a secondary action (which he has but you don't) you have to live with the facing you're stuck with. Moving into his side facing without turning gives you a +5 and -5, so evens out, but on the second round you could pivot, assuming your foe hasn't.
I guess that's not really exciting or viable. Or, does the final quote, about one action being permissable override and you can side-step into a flank and continue facing your opponent? (This allows a temporary advantage from your primary action to the opponent's primary action or vice versa.) I like the idea of opponents slowly circling to claim advantage, but don't know that this does it.

... what do you guys think?
Last edited by Marullus on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#165 Post by ffilz »

I really wish Taka's Mirrors of Deception had worked... Maybe all those Taka's would have scared the bandits... Though it might not have lasted long enough...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo managed to rise from the tatami mats floor. His armor was drenched in his own blood and he stood in a pool of the same. He knew that he was a little finger's breadth away from death. His mind drew on Eiji's blessing and he instantly felt the spirit of the Buddha around him, as if he were in a temple. It calmed his racing mind and focused it.

He tried a different ni-to-jutsu tactic. He swept his wakizashi up and held it horizontal before his forehead to defend against a downward stroke and slashed at the bandit's side with his katana. A startling scream of focusing what ki remained in him burst out. Kiaiiiiii!

Wow, the Officer #3 and Toshi fight is all about crits, of either kind.
Regular kenjutsu attack with the katana, Defense (+Char's level to AC) with the wakizashi secondary weapon. Not sure if Toshi has a blessing from Eiji. If so, please ignore the +2 to BCS. BCS 12 + 2 Blessing = 14.
[1d20]=3[1d6+2]=1+2=3
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Marullus »

(Toshizo failed his Speed ST and didn't get to stand last round. However, your attack roll was so good, it looks like he succeeds on a hit while still prone, so he didn't get all the way up and still hit.)

Looking for actions from Ha and Taka.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#168 Post by ffilz »

Taka will throw another shuriken if she isn't being engaged. Is there a penalty for drawing? And I assume still within 5 yards?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Marullus »

Hurl Weapon
The attack allows a character to exercise Shurikenjutsu, Yarinage-
jutsu, or basic Deftness in throwing an object already held in
the hand.

Draw Weapon
This Option allows a character to ready one weapon for combat. If
the character attempting to do this is Engaged, he must make a
Deftness Saving Throw to succeed in getting the weapon ready. If he
fails, any successive attempts will have a positive modifier to the
Saving Throw equal to the number of failed attempts. Thus, his
chances increase as he continues to get his weapon ready. A Critical
Failure will indicate that he dropped the weapon while trying to
ready it.

If using Shuriken, the small throwing knives of Nippon, the
character may throw up to one Shuriken per Level. All of the
Shuriken must be thrown at the same target, each one is rolled for
separately, to see if it hits, and each such BCS roll is at a penalty
equal to the number of Shuriken thrown. Thus, a3rd Level character
may throw up to 3 Shuriken. He would roll on his Surikenjutsu BCS
for each of the missiles to see if it hits and each roll is at -3.
You eventually can throw multiple times in a single action. Remember to keep count - you only began with 1d6 shuriken (p.40), but could have bought more [when you changed skills on the character]. You should specify total now.

From what's above, it looks like you need an action (secondary or primary, but you only have one so it doesn't help) to draw shuriken into your hand. I think you can hold multiple shuriken and throw then with your other hand... otherwise multiple throws per action doesn't make sense. So... decide how many Shuriken you have, then (if >1) how many of those you have in your off-hand, and if you need to switch to dagger, you will need to draw it because you can't hold it and Shuriken.

Definitely still within 5 yards here in the hallway for Officer #3. Can't answer about being Engaged because you're last in the round. Everyone gets to change the situation before you act.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#170 Post by ffilz »

Oh, with STR 5 I have -1 damage, so my damage was only 8...

I purchased 8 shuriken (didn't realize I got 1d6 for free...), they are on my person. I had superior tanto in left hand, shuriken in right (stated above), so I will need to draw another shuriken unless the situation warrants a switch to melee, or is so desperate I want to throw the tanto (it can be thrown with shurikenjutsu). I wasn't sure if small thrown weapons and arrows needed to be drawn, different game systems handle that differently and not crystal clear in the Bushido rules. I'm OK with having to draw. I was choosing to be ready to throw a shuriken or strike with the tanto.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Marullus »

You were only at 2-3 yards - you can easily just strike with the Tanto. Either way, I need you to post a roll. :)
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#172 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:49 pm You were only at 2-3 yards - you can easily just strike with the Tanto. Either way, I need you to post a roll. :)
Tanto is short range so only within 1 yard... Actually, is Taka engaged currently? I guess if not engaged close to engage and strike with tanto. I engaged close to within 1 yard and strike.

Taka misses.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by jemmus »

Regarding moving a yd to get to a target's side or rear before an attack-- it seems it could be really effective if there were more than one attacker. (Edit:
Now that I've posted, I see that the forum won't let me format the arrows the way I want. The red arrow should be centered between the two attackers.

Turn 1

↗ ↖

Turn 2

Turn 3

Red can't change facing to counter the flanking move without turning his side side facing to the other attacker. But if it were just one attacker, it seems he could always change facing to avoid the flanking.
Turn 1

Turn 2

Even if Black's Phase is first, it seems he can never get into position for a side attack. (The rules don't take comparative Speed into account; every char just gets 1 yd of position change. No movement at all is allowed after the Primary Action Phase, so speedier characters with more than one AP can't move during their Secondary/Tertiary AP. I don't think so, at least.

Does this sound about right?

(GM note to self: Multiple flanking rabble or extras could be deadly to PCs. Well, we're already seeing that in this fight. As a DM in a roll20 West Marches D&D 5E said, "You guys want to use the optional flanking rules? That's fine. But they'll also apply if you run into a horde of goblins."
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#174 Post by jmacatty »

Ha strikes the officer with whom he is engaged:

BCS=12=1(level)+1(blade)=14-AC
[1d20]=5 Hard to imagine this doesn't hit
Damage=1d6+2+1(blade)+3(str)=1d6+6
[1d6+6]=3+6=9
jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#175 Post by jmacatty »

OOC: When fighting multiple opponents, the trick is to stand against a wall or tree, so that the flank move is not available.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Marullus »

jmacatty wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:42 am BCS=12=1(level)+1(blade)=14-AC
It looks like all the other tabs of your sheet are removed, so the math isn't visible anymore. Just doublechecking it (because level was built into the equations before).

For Ha:
Kenjutsu is Strength (31) + Deftness (11) + Will (8) = 50 +5 from Buke = 55 / 5 = BCS 11
Bonus Skill adds level, BCS 12
Good blade is a +1, BCS 13
You're still Blessed by Eiji (this is the last round) for +2, BCS 15

So it is BCS 15 this round, BCS 13 starting next round.
jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#177 Post by jmacatty »

Okay. I can't find my character sheet, so I was going from memory.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Marullus »

Oh, they're over here under Character Sheets.

I am referencing them there, but relying on you guys to update them when needed. :)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Marullus »

Blessings before sunset:Hit Points:
Ha: 1; 3 turns (Active Round 3/4/5)
Eiji: 1; 3 turns
Toshizo: 0; (Active Round 5/6)
Ha 15 / 32
Toshizo 1 / 24
Taka 9 / 9
Eiji 11 / 11
Kobi -61 -7-8-8-8 = -92

Toshi, Taka, Eiji:
The officer slashes outward, catching Toshizo across his throat. A welt of blood burbles, Toshizo collapsing backwards onto the floor before he can rise or even retaliate. Eiji steps forward and clunks the officer on the head with his staff from behind (-3s) to draw attention from Toshizo, just a moment too late. "You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger," the monk states calmly. The ronin lashes out with his blade behind him in Eiji's direction ineffectually, then Taka steps to his rear and slashes the man's arm (-3).

OOC:
Phase 10: NPC officer #3 moves to optimal for katana, attacks Toshizo. He has a +5 due to Toshizo being prone.
Officer #3 [1d20]=2[1d6+2]=5+2=7

Phase 6: Eiji engages the officer to protect the fallen Toshizo.
Eiji Bojutsu (BCS 9) [1d20]=6[1d6]=4 Second Strike [1d20]=10[1d6]=2 (hit -4s, miss)

Phase 5: Toshizo collapses, dead with -6hp. (Propose modification of Ki rule.)

NPC officer #3 attacks Eiji with katana (secondary, rear facing, only succeeds on a 1
Officer #3 [1d20]=10[1d6+2]=4+2=6)

Phase 2: Taka hits Officer #3 with a Tanto for 1hp.
Taka damage [1d5-1]=2-1=1
(Edit: Superior Tanto, make it 3hp.)

Ha, Kobi:
Ha fights ferociously, his blade smacking away the attempted strikes of both his foes, neither of them making headway against the armored bushi. Then with a powerful lunge Ha punctures through the ronin officer (-9), blood soaking the man's kimono even as he fights on.

A few yards away, six bandits still circle Kobi with their swords, your wilderness guide armed with his good-quality spear, his kimono perforated and utterly soaked with blood, his face pale and covered with moisture like a corpse, but his expression hard, unyielding. He spins his spear above his head, lashing out at the other bandit in his rear facing with another powerful reverse strike (-12). The man drops dead, only five remain to face him. He smacks away their blades, but he has slowed - two of the blades strike home, stabbing clean through his torso in with powerful thrusts (-7, -8). Kobi lashes out again, slaying a bandit to his side (-11). Now four remain. Two more blades stab through him viciously (-8, -8). Kobi powered by his will alone, centers himself and still stands against his foes.

OOC:
(Kobi spent 1 Ki to be active for a detailed turn.)
Phase 12: Kobi takes down the other bandit in his rear facing.
Kobi sojutsu [1d20]=11[1d10+3]=9+3=12 (five left)

Phase 10: NPC officer #1 primary attack phase on Ha.
Officer #1 on Ha [1d20]=15[1d6+1]=6+1=7 (miss)
One bandit goes against Ha:
Bandit on Ha [1d20]=19[1d6+1]=2+1=3
Seven bandits go against the unarmored Kobi: [front flank flank flank flank rear rear]
Bandits on Kobi [1d20]=16[1d20]=9[1d20]=6[1d20]=12[1d20]=11
Bandits on Kobi [1d6+2]=6+2=8[1d6+2]=5+2=7

Phase 6: Kobi strikes a bandit
Kobi sojutsu [1d20]=14[1d10+3]=8+3=11 (four left)

Phase 5: Ha strikes with Katana at Officer #1 and misses.
Officer #1 and one remaining bandit strikes at Ha (secondary action)
Officer #1 on Ha (secondary) [1d20]=11[1d6+1]=5+1=6
Bandit on Ha (secondary) [1d20]=13[1d6+1]=3+1=4
Six remaining bandits on Kobi (secondary): [front flank flank flank flank rear rear]
Bandits on Kobi [1d20]=12[1d20]=6[1d20]=5[1d20]=10
Bandits on Kobi [1d6+2]=6+2=8[1d6+2]=6+2=8

Kobi spends a second Ki point to continue to act next around (1061.3).
Last edited by Marullus on Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#180 Post by ffilz »

That's a superior tanto, so +2 damage for a total of 3.

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”