Re: [003] Into the War Camp

#21 Post by jmacatty »

Ha's die roll: [1d20]=17
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Enoch »

Eiji bows as to a superior and holds it for a long moment. "My name is Eiji, Gunso-san. Jīva and I-" he places an affectionate hand on the head of the matted fur of the dog that sits beside him, panting slightly- "are merely wanderers, seeking enlightenment. I am no warrior, but I can offer your soldiers healing, if you like.

"'In times of war
Give rise in yourself to the mind of compassion,
Helping living beings
Abandon the will to fight.'

"I am a gravedigger by trade. Perhaps that may be of use to you, also; even successful armies such as I am sure yours shall need to dig many graves."
He bows again.

I'd like to use Butsu-do (Buddhist theology) as a Spontaneous Art. Butsu-do (BCS 8): [1d20]=2
The Effect Number is 8. Status: [1d20+8]=6+8=14
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

Status calculations:
The Gunsō is representing his clan, in which he is a Manager; he has 40 group status and a factor of .7, for a Social Status of 28.

Toshizo - Posted OOC explanation here.
Toshizo is High (30) Ronin at Level 1 (+5) with On less than 50 (+0) for 35 Personal Status. His factor as a wandering Bushi is .6. His Social Status is 21. He has a BCS 4 for the status roll.

His request:
I am trained in bugei and I am free of any obligation to any lord. I own these weapons, this armor, and a a young warhorse.

The Gunsō has higher social status, but not by more than 10 points, so that's only -1 BCS (BCS 3).
Toshizo's request to serve as a warrior who brings his own horse/weapons/armor is to their mutual benefit for +5 BCS (BCS 8)
Toshizo offers no gifts, social arts, and provides no offense with his manners (null).

Toshizo's roll was a 7. This is a success vs BCS 8 with an Effect score of 1.
Granted, but the character granting it may place conditions on the favor and will not give any part of it until they are carried out.

Taka
Taka is Medium (20) Samurai at Level 1 (+5) with On less than 50 (+0) for 25 Personal Status since she is also not invoking her clan. Her factor as a Shugenja is .3. Her Social Status is 8. She has a BCS 1 for the status roll.

Her request:
ffilz wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:25 am Taka will introduce herself (in appropriate order of assumed rank taking her Shugenja rank) as Shugenja Taka and she is also free from immediate obligation.

The Gunsō has higher social status, by 20 points, so that's -3 BCS (BCS -2).
Her offer to provide magical aid (without an ask) is more to the benefit of the Gunso for +3 BCS (BCS 0)
Taka offers no gifts, social arts (she has Tea Ceremony and Rhetoric), and provides no offense with his manners (null).

Taka's roll was 3. That's failure vs BCS 3 with an Effect of -3.
Request refused and character influenced is suspicious of requestors motives. He may be placated by gifts or other evidence of respect.

Ha
Ha is Medium (20) Ronin at Level 1 (+5) with On less than 50 (+0) for 25 Personal Status since he is also not invoking his clan. His factor as a Bushi is .6. His social standing is 15. He has a BCS 3 for the status roll.

jmacatty wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:49 pmHa will introduce himself I am called Ha. I am on a personal search. I wish to learn more of bladework.

The Gunsō has higher social status, by 13 points, so that's -2 BCS (BCS 1).
His request is to study and learn, which appears more beneficial to Ha than Gunso for -3 BCS (BCS -2)
He offers no gifts, social arts, and provides no offense with his manners (null).

Ha's die roll is 17 (It was accidentally rolled on the wrong character but I found it.) That's a failure with -19 effect.
Request refused and character influenced is hostile.

Eiji
Eiji is a High (30) Eta at Level 1 (+5) with On less than 50 (+0) for 35 Personal Status, not invoking a Temple. His factor as a Gakusho is .4. His social standing is 14. He has a BCS 2 for the status roll.
https://us4.admin.mailchimp.com/login/verify/
Enoch wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:52 pmI am no warrior, but I can offer your soldiers healing, if you like. I am a gravedigger by trade. Perhaps that may be of use to you, also; even successful armies such as I am sure yours shall need to dig many graves."

The Gunsō has higher social status, by 14 points, so that's -2 BCS (BCS 0).
His request is to offer healing and hard labor, which appears more beneficial to Gunso than Eiji +3 BCS (BCS 3)
Eiji offers Buddhist theology as a social art, rolling 2 against BCS 8 for an Effect score of 6. (BCS 9)

Eiji's die rolls is 6. That's success with an Effect score of 3.
Granted, but the character granting it may place conditions on the favor and will not give any part of it until they are carried out.

Ha steps forward, stating his personal quest to learn more of bladework. The Gunsō looks the poor, horseless ronin over then gives a sharp laugh. "Tell me, does this look like a dōjō? Men come to me ready to serve, to fight, maybe to die, but definitely to win glory. I have no time to train you. Your father should have taught you to use that sword." The stone-faced men that surround him in the tent look away as Ha is rebuffed. "This is what they bring me," he retorts to the men around him. "He will likely die on the mountain before he returns to Hida."

When Taka is introduced, a woman of high-born appearance offering magical service as a Shugenja and asking nothing in return, the Gunsō dips his head to respect her gender, but his eyes hold deep suspicion. "No, I cannot grant entrance to a sorceress, ojosan. Such a matter is above me and I fear you've come in vain." A more polite refusal, but a refusal nontheless, at least for the moment.
Ojosan --> "someone else's daughter." This is to intentionally imply her unspoken clan is likely of importance.
When introduced to Eiji and Toshizo, however, he warms. He first takes heart in the scripture, nodding to the Buddhist truism. "Your services are of clear value, Eiji-san. May you inter our enemies and not our men," the Kyoto manners and accent show through, even as an Eta, though that is overcome by his Buddhist vows. Likewise, Toshizo's crisp military presentation and acknowledgement that he comes fully trained, equipped, and prepared elicit an equally crisp and respectful nod from the Gunsō. "This is more like it. We always have place for those who come truly prepared." Osama appears at the corner of the tent, your guide standing expectantly at the Gunsō's peripheral view, saying nothing.

The Gunsō clears his throat. "Before I admit you to the encampment and tell you of matters you may otherwise wish to know in your service, there is a duty which can prove both your readiness and loyalty." He clears his throat again, looking to the corner of the tent. You follow his gaze and note that Osama has gone. "Outside my tent you will find a merchant. He has great need, as an important part of his shipment has been waylaid by bandits. He asks for immediate aid in recovery, and I do not have the men to otherwise spare. If you could satisfy him, that would show your good intentions in seeking to enter here." A lightly-armored bushi next to him leans over and whispers in his ear. The Gunsō looks up from Eiji and Toshizo, considering both Ha and Taka a second time. "Yes, I will reconsider your companion's requests as well, should you succeed in this leal service, and you report their assistance of value."

You can react/respond here in this scene, then move to the merchant who you saw on the other side of the trail, outside the tent.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo is relieved that Ha was accepted for this assignment. He has come to think of the older ronin bushi as kind of his senpai. Especially after he refused to surrender his katana to the samurai bushi. Toshizo had been about to face the shame of surrendering his katana. "I have only a few coppers, and Jiro needs grain. There is no choice." He had rehearsed in his mind how he'd hand the katana down from horseback with one hand, and the lower ranking ashigaru would have to accept it with two hands. Ha's recalcitrance saved him from that humiliation.

Yes, I have understood, he says crisply, and again bows from the waist to the gunsoh.
Senpai = older/more senior member of the same group. (Everybody probably knew that, it's a meme English word now). Toshizo said "Hai, wakarimashita (Yes, I have understood)." A junior who receives an order doesn't comment on it, he just confirms that he understands what he's been told to do.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by ffilz »

I think this actually suits Taka, it may present more opportunity to find out what's going on here before she commits to anything. And if they are being coy as to who they are, then it's only fair she be coy in return. On the other hand, with my general lack of familiarity with Samurai customs, I'm not sure I'm not missing something or messing up...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

You are fine. :) just read over here and then also make sure you post IC.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by Enoch »

Eiji bows deeply. Hai, Gunsō-san. It is my prayer that my services are not needed at all- beyond retrieving this merchant's goods!" He smiles and pats the dog's head again.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Marullus »

I have ooc concurrence from ffilz and jmcatty, so I'll roll ahead to the next beat.

The four of you depart the tent of the Gunsō, who returns to his other meetings. Across the trail is the merchant referenced, on the trail stand several ashigaru who's job is clearly to to keep you from entering the camp without the permission of the Gunsō. Osama departs the merchant as soon as you emerge, passing the ashigaru and entering the camp before you reach the merchant. You again note that the merchant acts with considerable status, directing even low-ranked Samurai in tasks from where he stands among the crates and bushels.

The broad-shouldered merchant turns and looks you over as you approach, then smiles and greets you warmly, stroking a thin beard. "Ah! You are the ones come to my aid! Osama does well." He nods approvingly at the two warriors, then his gaze lingers on Taka. "He tells me of your display of power, commanding the elements to avoid conflict with the mountain swine," he tells her, appraising her like a bushel of rice. "such may serve well in addressing the current threat."

He straightens up, speaking authoritatively. "I am Shoshen Kogatoro," he says, clearly expecting recognition, "I represent my father, who's wealth ensures this encampment's success. But I cannot do so when his goods are stolen. Never before have brigands dared to rob Shoshen Makoto! They have not only stolen valuable supplies, but a treasure box which was coming at great expense, a dowry for my sister. This is why the matter is of grave importance. To allow such a dishonor..." he trails off. "the treasure box must be returned, for the honor of my sister and her betrothed." He nods poignantly at the encampment. "Likewise, the brigands must be taught a lesson about thieving from the Shoshen family. You can see why I must contract you, rather than using the soldiers here for the duty."

You have heard of Shoshen Makoto - in fact, the tavernkeeper you stayed with most recently in Takayama spoke of him several times as a benefactor. He is a wealthy merchant with a reputation for being scrupulously honest and a hard bargainer. The news at the inn was that last month Makoto joined the circle of councilors for the merchants association of Takayama - surely the Kami and Buddhas smile upon him.

"This is, of course, of personal importance to my father and it is his direct authorization that I extend to you," he continues. "His request is that you bring back the dowry box unopened. For this, you will be each paid one gold piece in advance with five to follow on completion of the task with the gratitude of Shoshen Makoto. I will buy back any supplies you can recover for the encampment after that, and my father has authorized a bounty of two silver pieces per head of the brigands and a two gold piece bounty for the head of their leader." He looks you over again, waiting for a reaction to his generous terms with a self-confidence that borders on being smug.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo can hardly believe his ears. Gold! He's never even seen gold, much less possessed a gold coin. He believes on is worth 12 silver, or 360 copper coins. But this merchant certainly does speak and behave like a merchant. Very crass and unmannerly. He doesn't bother with introducing himself, and certainly doesn't bow to the money man. I suppose that is acceptable, he says. It will feed my horse. But I'll take the advance payment in silver coins instead. I doubt many in this camp can make change for a gold coin.

Do you have any information about where to find the thieves and retrieve their heads?
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

"Yes, yes of course," replies Shoshen Kogatoro the merchant. He snaps his fingers and gestures; a weather-worn middle-aged man comes over. "Kobi will guide you." The man, Kobi, bows to you.

"The bandits have occupied a valley, about a day's hike into the mountains," the gravelly voice of Kobi tells you. "I will guide you to it. There are perhaps 20 of them there, but certainly not of the same caliber as Bushi such as yourselves."

"I wish to know who is brazen enough to have done this deed," interjects Kogatoro. "The survivor of their attack said they spoke of a higher-up who would be displeased if they were late and they knew to seek the dowry. I believe they struck my father's goods intentionally. This is why I offer such a bounty for the head of this leader of rabble."

Kobi clears his throat. "You may rest here outside of camp, and your horses will be safe until our return. If you wish to leave now, we can be upon them by dawn. If you wish to wait until dawn, we will be there for you to attack at nightfall." He looks to Toshizo and Ha for their answer.
jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#31 Post by jmacatty »

Ha looks balefully at the merchant.
I will accept your arrangement, with one proviso: we will keep all weapons recovered in the course of the job. We may, or may not sell them to you.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

Of course, of course," Kogatoro agrees readily. "The treasure box, unopened. Supplies for the camp such as you can transport, with fair remuneration. Any belongings of this bandit rabble are otherwise yours as spoils."

He slowly and pointedly places three gold coins, individually, upon the crates that stand between you, plus twelve silver pieces closest to Toshizo. "...we are agreed?"
jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by jmacatty »

Picking up a coin, Ha says, I see no reason to delay. A dawn attack will be good.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by jemmus »

Yes, I agree also. Toshizo offhandedly takes the 12 silver coins, stows them in his furoshiki without looking. A dawn attack will be good, I think. Perhaps a chance to use bows on them in the morning light. Unless many of them have bows. Being targets for many bows at long range might not do. To Kogatoro, Did the survivor say how the criminals are armed and armored?

Toshizo is pretty callow, but he's from a formerly-samurai family, and he's been training in bugei his whole life. Considerations for tactics put him into his element and make him keen and dead serious. He suddenly doesn't seem like such a naive kid after all. Unless the shugenja-sama has abilities that are better for a night attack?
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Marullus »

"Dawn it is, then," concurs Kobi, "We will leave as soon as you are ready.". Kogatoro looks pleased.

"I can tell you it is a defensible valley," responds Kobi, "There is one good path in, the other cliffs being steep. A watchtower is at the top of the path and the guards where ashigaru armor and have bows. The survivor said those that attacked them also had ashigaru armor for their ambush, most with katanas, some with yari." He nods sagely to the now-serious Toshizo and his strategy. "But soldiers at rest, who believe they're in a defensible valley, are unlikely to be armored and perhaps unarmed if you can achieve surprise. Also, a single entrance means a single exit."

You can leave the horses and extra gear here with assurances of safety. (Taka has a strong lockbox, if you have misgivings.) Please state in this thread what gear you're carrying on your person, how many pounds, and what your current encumbrance level is with it. All other gear will be assumed stowed here for your return.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:50 am "Dawn it is, then," concurs Kobi, "We will leave as soon as you are ready.". Kogatoro looks pleased.

"I can tell you it is a defensible valley," responds Kobi, "There is one good path in, the other cliffs being steep. A watchtower is at the top of the path and the guards where ashigaru armor and have bows. The survivor said those that attacked them also had ashigaru armor for their ambush, most with katanas, some with yari." He nods sagely to the now-serious Toshizo and his strategy. "But soldiers at rest, who believe they're in a defensible valley, are unlikely to be armored and perhaps unarmed if you can achieve surprise. Also, a single entrance means a single exit."

You can leave the horses and extra gear here with assurances of safety. (Taka has a strong lockbox, if you have misgivings.) Please state in this thread what gear you're carrying on your person, how many pounds, and what your current encumbrance level is with it. All other gear will be assumed stowed here for your return.
Taka will take her coin and express acceptance of the terms. She will leave her horse, dai-sho, armor, strongbox, extra clothes, taking her tanto, scrolls, bandages, salves, pouch, flint and steel, water bottle and maybe a day's travel food.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:07 amtaking her tanto, scrolls, bandages, salves, pouch, flint and steel, water bottle and maybe a day's travel food.
+Good Winter Samurai Garb (worn).
That's 9lbs, she is Unencumbered until 10lbs.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo is carrying:
Armor
Katana
Wakizashi
Dai-kyu (2-man) + Quiver
11 armor piercer arrows
9 willow leaf arrows
1 humming bulb arrow
Traveler's Food (2 days)
Bandages
Furoshiki
Samurai garb (average)
Utility knife
Water flask
Flint and steel
Total weight: 45 lbs. (Partially Encumbered at 30-60 lbs). Speed and Deftness -25% penalty. Modified BAP (rounded down) = 9. Modified BMA (rounded down) = 4. Modified MNA = 1. -1 to all BCS. AC 7

Leaving behind:
5 bowel raker arrows
Winter garb
20 days traveler's food

If possible, Toshizo would like to buy 6 armor piercer arrows.
Last edited by jemmus on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Marullus »

He sells you arrows at a fair (no modifiers) rate.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Enoch »

Eiji doesn't carry much, and it all fits neatly in his furoshiki.

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”