OOC - Next to the Campfire

sailingNeutrino
sailingNeutrino
Runner
Runner

Re: OOC - Next to the Campfire

#21 Post by sailingNeutrino »

I mean it does not want him to destroy the family at all. It wants the corrupt leader removed, and put back the rightful family heirs, while keeping the noble family intact. If a noble family goes down, the power vacuum may result in guilds getting stronger, which the artifact wants to avoid.

sailingNeutrino
Runner
Runner

#23 Post by sailingNeutrino »

Some questions about Hiram.

Where do you think he resides?
Does he live where his family lives?
Does he make a living from a craft?
Is he part of a group?
Is he a lone mercenary?

What's the artifact like physically?
What kind of object is it? (ring / amulet / weapon / something weird)

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Hiram is a brewer from Jalandhar, following in the footsteps of his family before him. He comes from a comparably small family who mostly remain in the small hamlet.

Hiram participates in a larger collective of brewers from the larger cities of Everlund and Sundabar and competes with them in providing quality drink, primarily to the Crowing Cockatrice, but also to taverns and inns farther afield.

It was on a trip, with the wagon loaded with casks for sale, that Hiram experienced a stroke of (mis)fortune. The wheel of the wagon hit a rut in the road and broke. Waylaid, but not deterred, Hiram set to fixing the wagon. He needed to find a sturdy branch to replace a broken spoke. While searching he saw the gleam of something shiny nestled in the hollow of a tree. There was a small acorn shaped wooden whistle, with a shiny metal cap, tied with a thin leather shoestring. A thieving squirrel must have stolen it from some other traveler and hidden it here.

The wagon was fixed and Hiram did well in his sales that trip. It was a bountiful fall.

sailingNeutrino
Runner
Runner

#25 Post by sailingNeutrino »

Ok, that looks good.

I'm going to open the IC thread and we can still settle on more details here, or in IC thread on the fly. For example, you can introduce family members / friends simply by stating existence or interacting with them.

My idea for the corrupt leader:
Nevarr Whitesteam, the current middle-aged lord of a small castle between Everlund and Jalanthar, at the foothills of the Nether Mountains, about 50 miles NW of Jalanthar. Castle Fairstone. Living off of mostly mediocre silver and iron mines controlled by the family.

sailingNeutrino
Runner
Runner

#26 Post by sailingNeutrino »

Oh, and also the spells it provides. Tell me those you feel fit its theme, and will supplement the rest.

3 spells / level, from 0-3.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Samwell Turleton »

This is my first draft of the spells.

I themed the spells a little from the description of the object and a little from the the motivations we discussed. I wasn't sure if there is a good spell that ties to the wanderlust idea so that is partly what I was thinking guidance and clairvoyance are connected to (perhaps Longstrider?). The cantrips, entangle, reduce, command, barkskin, and the spirit guardians spells all felt connected to the conflict avoidance theme. Zone of truth felt like it would be hard to leave out.

Artifact:
Wants to avoid all conflict
Wants only the truth to be told around it
Encourages wanderlust

Level 0
Prestidigitation
Thaumauturgy
Guidance

Level 1
Goodberry
Command
Entangle