Through the Depths

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Through the Depths

#1 Post by drpete »

The group goes west, toward the Darklake, trusting in Shuushar's assurances that he can lead them safely to a Kuo-Toa village on the banks of the lake called Sloobludop, about a week away.

Travelling is difficult and slow. You find that you often have to help each other up to openings high up in ceilings, or squeeze into narrow cracks. Shuushar regularly sniffs the air, and assures you that you are going in the right direction, but other than that, it is hard to tell which way you are going at any given moment.

Fortunately, there is food for you, if you can stomach it... fungus and mushrooms grow in many places, and you are able to put some food in your bellies. So long as this keeps up, you won't starve, but it will take something more to really fill your bellies.

The caverns are mostly dark, but they are occasionally illuminated. Most often, this is from some type of phosphorescent fungus, but at one point on the second "day" you pass through an area that seems to glow dimly from some kind of magical light.

At this point, Sarith looks back behind you, and mutters something about pursuit. He doesn't sense anything, but he is sure that the drow are "after us", and suggests that we do *something* to discourage pursuit.

What would you like to do?

Notes

Brana's roll gives a result "The wearisome toil of many leagues"... the trip is beset by especially difficult terrain.

If you want to do anything about your pursuit, let me know your plans, and I'll let you know who should roll for what.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Through the Depths

#2 Post by kalstone »

Raknar

Raknar looks around at the trail they are leaving and tries to obscure it as much as possible.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

Raknar and Eldeth, acting as the hunters, can try to obscure the group's tracks.

With advantage, roll perception to see how well that works :)
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by kalstone »

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by drpete »

As Raknar works on hiding the group's tracks, Sabyllos notices an unusual mushroom near a small side passage from the cavern. The mushroom, a "Shrieker" will make a loud noise if anyone goes near it, possibly attracting the attention of nearby creatures...
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sabyllos: "Perhaps could we divert the path so that it leads one unsuspectingly uponthe shrieker? Those rocks, for instance. If we shift them over, it wouldn't be hard to climb over them, but one would be more likely to just skirt around them, and into the shrieker's path."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thoril grinds along with the group. Still recovering from his near-death experience. When he pauses to catch his breath, he takes note of the stones and tunnels around him (stonecunning racial trait).

He also lends his darkvision ability where needed through the particularly dark sections of the tunnels.

Perception [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

The elf helps keep a lookout as they travel, looking for anything either dangerous or potentially useful.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

You direct the trail so that the path directs toward the shrieker. As you move on, Jimjar explains that the light in that area was a magical... substance(?)... called Faerzress. It seems that this stuff infuses a lot of the Underdark... he thinks it's fallout from some ancient elven magic catastrophe.

You continue for the rest of the day, and as you begin thinking about settling down to sleep, the lookouts hear the sound of goblin voices up ahead. You realize that you've stumbled upon a small group of them, moving in your direction. Though they have not seen you, you have only a brief moment to decide how to react before they are upon you.

The goblins are moving through a cave dimly lit with the glowing moss you've seen periodically on the trail. They seem to be bickering with each other about something as they trudge along.
Last edited by drpete on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Brana

Brana looks for a good place to hide the group and hand signals she hears something.

If needed roll [1d20] = 9
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sabyllos also scampers to hide, but does a pretty lousy job of it.

Stealth [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ybn1197 »

Birbal tries to squeeze himself into a crack in the wall.

Stealth: [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by kalstone »

Raknar tries to blend into the background. He also tries to help anyone he sees exposed.

Stealth: [1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by drpete »

Are you guys hiding to try to avoid them, or to ambush them?
Scott308

#15 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

The elf finds a niche to hide in and...disappears. You swear you saw where he went, but even the rest of the party is unable to spot him. As the goblins get within 30 feet of his hiding spot, he fires, unless they notice the party. In that case, he waits until one is engaged in combat.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

The goblin voices come closer, and you scamper into hiding spots... behind rocks... in cracks in the walls... whatever is handy, hoping that the goblins will pass you by.

As he goes to hide, Sabyllos kicks a mushroom that releases a puff of spores. Fortunately, before he can sneeze in response, Raknar clamps a hand over his mouth, silencing him.

Round One

The goblins emerge into the cavern. There are six of them, and they are too busy bickering with each other to notice you.

*thwap*

Ornthalas' crossbow bolt strikes one of the goblins in the neck, dropping him!

The other goblins, caught flat-footed, look around quickly, trying to locate the threat, or a place to hide.

Actions?

Morale [1d20-1] = 18-1 = 17
Goblin init [1d20] = 11
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sabyllos shoots a look of apology to Raknar for sneezing in his hand.

Seeing the consternation of the goblins, Sabyllos turns his haed to one side, so that his voice will bounce off the rocks, hopefully obscuring his position, and yells in Undercommon, "We have you surrounded! Drop your weapons and prepare to be questioned! Once we have the answers we seek, we will let you go!"

Deception: [1d20+5] = 4+5 = 9
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Brana

Brana will wait and keep hiding to see what happens.
Scott308

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

Hearing his companions trying to avoid further combat, the elf holds off firing his next shot until he sees the results of their efforts. If they are able to talk their way out of a fight, Ornthalas will not fire at all. If melee breaks out, he will fire at the first goblin in close combat with an ally. If it appears ranged combat is the order of the day, he will fire at a goblin.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by kalstone »

Raknar

Raknar also holds action to see if the goblins surrender. However, if the goblins attack, he looses a crossbow bolt.

Hand Crossbow: [1d20+6] = 15+6 = 21, Damage: [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8

Return to “Out of the Abyss (5e)”