On the cavern floor

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

On the cavern floor

#1 Post by drpete »

The elevator basket lowers slowly down to the surface of the cavern, giving you a good view of the aerial battle between the bay winged humanoids and the giant-sized insects. The insects have greater numbers, but the bat winged men seem to be stronger... they screech and charge at the bees, then rake them with their talons, connecting more than the insects can stab the winged men with their stingers.

The elevator finally reaches the bottom, where you see the drow, Sarith, ministering to Brana and Ornthalas, who are starting to revive. Off at a distance of about 30 feet, you see the young deep gnomes, Topsy and Turvy watching you from atop a flat rock.

The cavern here runs roughly northeast-southwest, opening up to about 60 feet wide. North of you, on the east side of the cavern there is a pool fed by the waterfall. The cavern appears to have three exits... one at the southwest end, one at the northeast end, and a third tunnel, heading northwest, opposite the pool.
Last edited by drpete on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: On the cavern floor

#2 Post by Rex »

Ront

Once the basket is down Ront will try to climb down the rope/cable.

You can roll since he is a NPC.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by kalstone »

Raknar

"Get yer butt down here!" Raknar hisses quietly. "We got to git movin'"
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

You wait at the bottom for Rex to make his way down the rope... you can't see all the way up to the top of the rope from here, but as you stare up into the blackness, you see a brief flash of red light, then a few moments later, the body of Ront tumbles out of the darkness, landing on the ground a few yards from you.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#5 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas

Slowly shaking the cobwebs out, he looks around at his fellow prisoners. Where...where are we? And where is everyone else? Seeing he is still manacled, he asks, Can anyone break these? It makes it hard for me to try to pick locks like this.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Brana

Starting to come to, "How did we get here, for that matter. Where is here?"
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by kalstone »

Raknar

Raknar runs over to Ront to see if he can revive him.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by drpete »

Sadly, Ront has been crushed by his fall, and is quite dead.

Brana and Ornthalas find themselves on the floor of a large cavern, surrounded by many of the prisoners. Eldeth rushes over to Brana when she sees her, and embraces her, then inspects the large welt left by the quaggoth's blow.

Sarith observes "We may not have much time... Should we wait for the others, or should we go now?"

Stool, the little mushroom child tenses, and releases a cloud of spoors to allow you all to communicate. He pleads "Please, help Stool! Stool needs to get home to Neverlight Grove! My family will be very grateful, and they will help you!"

Sarith responds "That sounds good, but it is very far from here, Stool... I don't think we can make it there directly. This base is pretty far from the rest of the world... deliberately."

Buppido chimes in "I can get us to Gracklstugh from here. But it is a long journey, maybe four weeks."

Sarith nods solemnly. "Menzoberranzan is a similar distance. We really need to find something closer, if we can... the Darklake is maybe a week away, but it is crawling with Kuo-Toa..."

Falling damage: [10d6] = 40
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Brana

"Thanks Eldeth." Listening to the others. "We need somewhere we can rest, eat and stay hidden for a bit."
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ybn1197 »

Birbal
Scott308 wrote:Ornthalas

Slowly shaking the cobwebs out, he looks around at his fellow prisoners. Where...where are we? And where is everyone else? Seeing he is still manacled, he asks, Can anyone break these? It makes it hard for me to try to pick locks like this.
I wish that I could dear friend but it seems I am as confined with these chains as you. It has taken all my skill to make it out of the temple the fiends placed me in and to this basket where good friend Ront sacrificed himself for our chance at freedom.

Sarith, you seem knowledged in this area. Do you know of any cave or bolt hole we can use to rest up?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by drpete »

Sarith thinks for a minute before answering...

"We were fortunate that Lady Ilvara was not present, or we would have been easily dealt with. I know no boltholes nearby that she could not find us. Our best hope of avoiding recapture is to steer clear of the corridors Drow usually travel, I think."
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by kalstone »

Raknar

"We ain't goin anywhere just yet. We still got people up there."
Scott308

#13 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

I agree. We should wait for the other prisoners. I'm not leaving them behind. We can't abandon them to face Drow retaliation for our escape. Does anyone have any idea where they are? What is it like up above? What's going on?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Brana

"No clue, just woke up. I agree though, we can't abandon them." Looking around for anything she can use as a weapon. "We best prepare ourselves as best we can for a fight, its coming sooner than latter."
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by kalstone »

Raknar

"I guess the first order of business is to get out of these cuffs."

Strength: [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ybn1197 »

I wholeheartedly agree with that, Birbal says lifting his manacled wrists.
Scott308

#17 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

Let me see those. The elf attempts to pick Birbal's manacles with his makeshift lockpick.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Brana

"Yes any help getting these off is appreciated."
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by drpete »

Sadly, the makeshift pick is not able to unlock the manacles.

As you stand about doing this, one of the aerial combatants falls out of the sky and lands on the ground about 20 feet from you. This large winged humanoid is clearly badly wounded, but not dead. Fixing you with its baleful gaze, it screeches loudly as it begins to rise to its feet.
creature.png
creature.png (119.71 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
The npc prisoners will follow your lead on this... someone should roll initiative for your group.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Brana

Initiative [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10

Brana will look for something to use as a weapon, rock maybe?

Return to “Out of the Abyss (5e)”