OOC I

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#121 Post by dmw71 »

Rukellian wrote:I can have Thalian volunteer to push one of the doors open. What sort of strength check would this be? Straight 14 in my case or 14 with the modifier? I wasn't sure if the modifier was only applied to skills and attacks.
Okay, once your character is created, it's almost best to ignore the actual number (e.g. 14) assigned to your ability scores. The only thing, mechanically, that matters is the modifier (e.g. +2).

So, this is an ability check (as opposed to a skill check).

From the rules:
Ability Checks wrote:"To make an ability check, roll a d20 and add the relevant ability modifier. As with other d20 rolls, apply bonuses and penalties, and compare the total to the DC. If the total equals or exceeds the DC, the ability check is a success--the creature overcomes the challenge at hand. Otherwise, it's a failure, which means the character or monster makes no progress toward the objective or makes progress combined with a setback determined by the DM."

So, because I've tasked this challenge as being moderately difficult (or medium), it will have a DC of 15.

The character making the check will need to roll a d20 and add their Strength modifier (a 14 is +2, which is pretty good). Because that character can be assisted in their efforts, they gain advantage on that roll, which essentially means you, the player, can roll two d20's and use the higher of the two results.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Rex »

Sorry, posted before seeing this. Luawn is the best fit for the strength check (+5) and I would have Thalian help. I would prefer 1 door at a time.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#123 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:Sorry, posted before seeing this. Luawn is the best fit for the strength check (+5) and I would have Thalian help. I would prefer 1 door at a time.
It was just a plain strength check, not Athletics, so it would only be +3 (no proficiency bonus), but you were still successful.
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#124 Post by BearSiren817 »

Thinking only +3? Not sure we can stealth so maybe different order?
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Rex »

My strength says +5, I think it is because I am a fighter. That is why I went with it anyways.
Attachments
Luawn Strength.PNG
Luawn Strength.PNG (110.74 KiB) Viewed 1297 times

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#126 Post by dmw71 »

I think what you're looking at are your saving throws:
Luawn Strength.PNG
Luawn Strength.PNG (109.08 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Your pure Strength modifier is the +3, shown right above the 16 score. That whole box beneath it is for saving throws (which are now tied to ability scores, not circumstances (e.g. rods/staff/wand, spells, breath weapon, etc...). Every class will be proficient in two of them. A fighter is proficient in Strength and Constitution saving throws, which is why those two are higher -- they're a combination of the actual ability score modifier (str: +3, con: +2), plus your proficiency bonus (+2).

Make sense?[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Rex »

I get it now. Learning 5E bit by bit.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Rukellian »

Thalian will maintain the march formation set up earlier and bring up the rear of the group. Following this logic, he should be the last to see the grisly sight inside. I'm going off the assumption that some scouting will be done before the whole group enters? I will most likely have Thalian act on that knowledge.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#129 Post by dmw71 »

D&D Beyond just announced a new 'Campaign Character Limit Updates' update, and I'm still trying to figure out how I can best take advantage of these changes.
Essentially, it used to be where each game could only have 12 characters in it. Now they've changed the limit from characters to players.

The "problem" that I currently have has to do with the fact that you can only enable content sharing in three campaigns, and I have my four games organized into four individual campaigns:
Active Campaigns.jpg
Active Campaigns.jpg (100.5 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
After taking a quick inventory, it turns out that I only have 13 unique players (19 total characters) across all four games:
Characters.jpg
Characters.jpg (34.01 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
This is just one over the limit, otherwise I could have thrown everyone into a single group. I'm not even sure how/if that would make things easier? But, it would definitely remove the content sharing issue, and also allow for a lot of room for expansion (e.g. new players).

Interesting.

Even though I do have characters built (or in development) on D&D Beyond, I've only ever used the tool as a DM, not as a player. So, to see how things worked from a player's perspective, I added a couple of my characters into different campaigns I have created. As a player, things are actually organized fairly well:
Players.jpg
Players.jpg (85.76 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
I was worried that I would complicate things for you guys if I shuffled things around, but the only real change is on my end.

Okay, this is helpful.

I'm going to spend some time planning out how I want to reorganize everything, but do expect for me to be requesting that you use the 'Leave Campaign' option on your characters and join a new campaign I've created instead (using new invite links which I will create and send out).[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Rex »

Sounds good, whatever works best for you Dave.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#131 Post by dmw71 »

Apologies for the lack of update over the weekend. It was a busy one.

I also snagged a good deal on a used Chromebook which I started to familiarize myself with. I found one potential bug with it (I'm having issues scrolling on maps in Roll20; mostly horizontally), and I also need to find a new screen capture tool since SnagIt isn't supported. :(

I'll get it figured out (or just continue to use my old laptop) soonish, and update this game either later today or tomorrow.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#132 Post by dmw71 »

Also, after losing one player in one of my games, that brings my total down to twelve, which is the limit allowed in a campaign. I think, for now, I'm just going to try throwing everyone into a single campaign to see how that works.

If I could have everyone leave the current campaign you're in:
Remove.jpg
Remove.jpg (25.31 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Then, once you're a free agent again, join this one instead: Unseen Servant #1.

This will need to be done for all characters, so those of you in two games will need to do this twice.

Thanks![/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#133 Post by Faanku »

Now to decide which wizard I play.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#134 Post by dmw71 »

Faanku wrote:Now to decide which wizard I play.
You'll still play them both, in their respective games.

Hmmm... I can see how it could be confusing when you have two characters that are very close in build. Which belongs in which game?

I'll go ahead and create a second group so players with multiple characters can keep them separated. I'll send out an invite to this second campaign once it's created.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#135 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:
Faanku wrote:Now to decide which wizard I play.
You'll still play them both, in their respective games.

Hmmm... I can see how it could be confusing when you have two characters that are very close in build. Which belongs in which game?

I'll go ahead and create a second group so players with multiple characters can keep them separated. I'll send out an invite to this second campaign once it's created.
Okay, this is done.

I've gone ahead and created a second campaign, leaving me with two:
  • Dungeons (e.g. Yawning Portal, Hero's Light)
  • Dragons (e.g. Tyranny of Dragons)

If you're controlling multiple characters, please feel free to split them up to keep them separated (I figured, if you're one of my 'Tyranny of Dragons' games, that character would go in the "Dragons" campaign). If you've already moved both characters into the original new campaign (e.g. Ed), and you're content with keeping both of them there, feel free.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#136 Post by dmw71 »

Just an FYI...

I'm in a serious rut right now.

I've been able to bring myself to check into the site here regularly, and have checked into my games, but haven't been able to bring myself to even start working on actually updating them.

For whatever reason, my motivation for gaming seriously lacking right now. :(

So, I guess, just be aware that things are kind of slow right now for a reason, but hopefully it won't last much longer.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Rukellian »

I understand what those ruts feel like. I've been there. I won't complain if the game slows down.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#138 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I'm in a serious rut right now.
This, sadly, hasn't really changed.

That said, I just put in for some time off from work -- the rest of this week plus next Monday -- to give myself a nice little break, and a chance to recharge. I'm hopeful that I can get all my games up and running again over the next few days, or in time for the start of next week.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#139 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I'm hopeful that I can get all my games up and running again over the next few days, or in time for the start of next week.
I was able to get into enough of a groove to update my other three games... but ran out of time before being able to get to this one as well.

I'm hoping the motivation and creativity will allow me to be able to revisit this one tonight. If not, soon.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#140 Post by Bluetongue »

My apologises to you Dave and to you also my fellow players. It was an unintended absence through personal reasons which seriously limited my frame of mind more than my time and I took a period away from the game.

Thank you for the opportunity to play in the first place. I enjoyed the character creation and story but have not been able to follow up my commitment and that should not be taken as any slight on you or the game. I appreciate very much the time and effort to create a gaming forum and put together a great storyline and adventure.

With Scillachi retired (or dead? His shadow will lurk and watch over your moves). May I wish you all many happy days gaming and adventuring. Good luck to you and thank you again for the opportunity.

Return to “Tomb of the Hero's Light (5e)”