Character Creation

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Creation

#1 Post by drpete »

We'll be creating characters on D&D Beyond.

For this campaign, please use the player's handbook only foot- your first character.

Infravision will be *very* helpful.

Being useful in a role in the 'wilderness' will be very helpful (guide, scout, hunter or look-out)

Though you will be mostly surface dwellers, you can have some connection to the under dark. I can provide you an underdark/ campaign specific bond, if you would like.

Some class features will be tweaked because of the house rules. Rangers, for example, will get +2 to rolls as hunter, and will reduce the difficulty of all the journey rolls by 2 if they are guide in their favored terrain.

Feel free to discuss things, here.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#2 Post by Rex »

I have mine started if any one cares to look. Nothing set in stone yet. I won't be able to work on it again until late tonight at the earliest but shooting for a dwarf cleric. Wahat are we doing for money?
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ybn1197 »

I've started mine as well. A dragonborn monk with the cartographer's kit. I am looking at making him the scout of the group.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

Rex wrote:I have mine started if any one cares to look. Nothing set in stone yet. I won't be able to work on it again until late tonight at the earliest but shooting for a dwarf cleric. Wahat are we doing for money?
Feel free to select starting equipment as "normal" for your class.
ybn1197 wrote:I've started mine as well. A dragonborn monk with the cartographer's kit. I am looking at making him the scout of the group.
This is fine, though I'll warn you up front that you will likely be travelling in the Underdark, where it's often quite dark, and horrible things are often attracted to light. :)
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ybn1197 »

drpete wrote:This is fine, though I'll warn you up front that you will likely be travelling in the Underdark, where it's often quite dark, and horrible things are often attracted to light. :)
I completely forgot that Dragonborn do not have special vision. Let me rethink this.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ravenn4544 »

I was thinking of a fighter-type if that works for folks.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by kalstone »

ravenn4544 wrote:I was thinking of a fighter-type if that works for folks.
A ranger or a different fighter class?
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ravenn4544 »

I can go any direction - would just prefer to do it with a sword :)
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by kalstone »

I was thinking of making a ranger, but I can go in a different direction too.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Rex wrote:I have mine started if any one cares to look. Nothing set in stone yet. I won't be able to work on it again until late tonight at the earliest but shooting for a dwarf cleric. Wahat are we doing for money?
For each class and background, you will get specific equipment and potentially money. If you don't want all of the default equipment, you can sell things for half value and purchase things from the book.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ravenn4544 »

Kalstone - go for the ranger! I’ll pick something else no problem.
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ybn1197 »

Definitely go with the ranger. I'm going to stick with the monk but change the race to dwarf to get the infravision.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Mine is complete (Dwarf Cleric). Look it over and if I screwed something up let me know.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Pulpatoon »

I have made a fiendish warlock, but it looks like Scott and I had the same idea. While it could be fun to have two warlocks who are either pledged to the same fiend or to two rivals, it could be bad strategy.

So, before I scrap Sabyllos, what do we need to cover in our party? We have a cleric, which seems like a very good idea, a monk for combat, a ranger for the wilderness exploration aspect drpete warned us of, and a warlock for spell-casting. Do we need a rogue for forward scouting?
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by kalstone »

I'm kind of designing my ranger to be stealth focused, so he could possibly fill that forward scouting role.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

A ranger *could* fill several different roles. Their expertise makes them good candidates for the guide roll because they can sort of shepherd everyone else through their roles by giving all the rolls a bonus. That said, a stealth based ranger, if that's the main stealth character, would work well in the scout role.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by kalstone »

Looking at the journey rules, I agree that my character would not be a good fit in the scout role as defined there. He would be a better fit in the guide role.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Pulpatoon »

Alright, what roles do people see their characters fulfilling?
drpete wrote:
  • Guide - In charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency.
  • Scout - In charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation.
  • Hunter - In charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks.
  • Look-out - In charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception.
I'm guessing Rex's cleric has the highest Wisdom. She also has Survival, so I nominate her as Guide.
kalstone's Ranger just needs Investigation to be a solid Scout.
Who has the highest Perception?
Who else has Survival?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by drpete »

Ok, though I mentioned it in the recruitment thread, it didn't make it into the journey thread here... ranger's natural explorer gives a +2 if they act as the hunter, and it gives a -2 to the DC to everybody's rolls if they act as guide. It's complicated trying to summarize these systems!
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by kalstone »

I can swap Dex out for Wis to be a better guide.

Return to “Out of the Abyss (5e)”