Greyhawk Q&A

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Greyhawk Q&A

#1 Post by Stonjuz »

The story begins in an Inn somewhere within The City of Greyhawk.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Greyhawk Q&A

#2 Post by Stonjuz »

The Free City of Greyhawk, also known as Greyhawk City and the "Gem of the Flanaess,"
External politics are intertwined in the city’s internal affairs. Rival guilds compete for power and influence, and dark conspiracies fester beneath the streets, while less-weighty adventures may arise from the lighter aspects of civilized personal and commercial rivalries.

The Free City of Greyhawk actually had less direct involvement in the so-called Greyhawk Wars than many political entities across the Flanaess, but because the final truce was brokered in Greyhawk in CY 584, the war has come to be named for the city.

The current timeline of the Greyhawk campaign has been fixed as 591 CY, six years after the end of the Greyhawk Wars. The Wars had several important effects on the city, particularly that the unrest drove Hardby and the Wild Coast cities of Safeton and Narwell to re-submit to the rule of the Directing Oligarchs. However, since it was largely fear of Turrosh Mak's humanoid raiders from the Pomarj that prompted this move, a situation that has been resolved to some extent, the Despotrix and the Wild Coast cities are once again agitating for increased independence.

Also as a result of the Wars, the city has seen an influx of new citizens. Some of these are wealthy diplomats, and some are "nobles" who have contributed significantly to Greyhawk's coffers with the purchase of various counterfeit titles and documents. But many newcomers to Greyhawk are destitute refugees, or are merely using the city as a base for hatching political plots and intrigues across the Flanaess. In particular, there are persistent rumors of covert Scarlet Brotherhood operations in the city.

The post-war outlook for the Free City is therefore mixed. Greyhawk's finances are in the best shape they have been since Zagig's departure, but the city faces significant challenges arising from political instability and increasing criminal activity.

Greyhawk's Directing Oligarchy elects one of its own as Lord Mayor, who serves as the head of state in addition to his directorial duties. The current Lord Mayor, Nerof Gasgal, has held office since 571 CY. The Lord Mayor heads both the Directing Oligarchy and the Council of Mayors and Manorial Lords. The chief of state also officially heads the military, though actual command is most often left to the Captain General of the Watch.

The above is from wiki.
grodog has a wonderful Greyhawk website. Check out greyhawkonline.com. I'm sure you will find everything you/we will need.
But Ill try to answer any questions.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Stonjuz »

Players will also roll d100 for starting Homeland.
Vargr will need to help me out there because .....he has the chart.
(Ive seen it once before, I'll keep looking)
I will have you roll any sub-provinces and such after that, depending on your origin.

So far Jobatett needs origin [1d100]

and I heard from Ironmagic.
oh, thanks and welcome vargr, I have also invited Shonuff. He should be along

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by JobaTett »

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Vargr1105 »

Your half-elf comes from the Duchy of Ulek.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Stonjuz »

Shonuff needs a homeland roll, so keep an eye out vargr. I may change the result however.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Stonjuz »

Greyhawk 591.jpg
Greyhawk 591.jpg (162.42 KiB) Viewed 3127 times

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Vargr1105 »

Er...what is Quivalen's race?

Edit:
ah wait, he is human.

Quivalen comes from the Prelacy of Almor.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Stonjuz »

Prelacy of Almor has been lost,replaced over the years,wars, etc... what are its neighbors vargr?

Found it.....At the end of the Greyhawk Wars, Nyrond looked upon its former ally with empathy and concern, but with a regard for its own self-interest as well. The newly installed king, Lynwerd I, immediately sent troops into the region and claimed that the western half of the former Prelacy was under his protection. Lynwerd created it the Almorian Protectorate and installed a governor to oversee its administration.

Almorian Protectorate - Nyrond
Governor Younard - Human Male Fighter

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Vargr1105 »

Ah...those darn, pesky Greyhawk Wars. Geography It used to be so simple... :)

The Kingdom of Nyrond, Almor's western neighbor has turned the western part of the province into a protectorate. The king of Nyron has sent a governor to oversee the region. So that area is now de facto part of the Kingdom of Nyrond. The region is in a sorry state, with poverty and destroyed cities, etc. It is referred to as the "Almorian Protectorate" now.

The eastern portion of what was the Prelacy of Almor is, as far as I could determine, a wasteland. There is no political entity there but the region appears on a Paizo map with the name "Old Almor"

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Stonjuz »

Vargr1105 wrote:Ah...those darn, pesky Greyhawk Wars. Geography It used to be so simple... :)

The Kingdom of Nyrond, Almor's western neighbor has turned the western part of the province into a protectorate. The king of Nyron has sent a governor to oversee the region. So that area is now de facto part of the Kingdom of Nyrond. The region is in a sorry state, with poverty and destroyed cities, etc. It is referred to as the "Almorian Protectorate" now.

The eastern portion of what was the Prelacy of Almor is, as far as I could determine, a wasteland. There is no political entity there but the region appears on a Paizo map with the name "Old Almor"
Sounds like adventuring area to me.

Have you found anything on what appears to be, by default, your home town of The City of Hendrenn Halgood, north-central Nyrond besides (pop. 14,800)?
Ha, ha....found this .... 'a summons waiting for you from Duke Arnon Orberend.' 8-)

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Computer +1 »

My homeland
[1d100] = 100

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Vargr1105 »

With that roll you get to choose whatever homeland you wish, even outside the Flanaess if you want to.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Stonjuz »

Ulek, Nyrond, Urnst, Sterich, Ket and Iuz.
Wow, not all of them have the same Common languages.
For all to communicate, perhaps the language of the church, the old common.
Will think about this today also.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Stonjuz »

Common for Greater Kingdoms including Greyhawk - mix of Old Oeridiean & Ancient Baklunish
Flan - oldest of languages for most kingdoms, many have their own dialects, especially elves.
Nyrondese - Traders common - mix of Flan and Gryehawk common
Ancient Suloise - used mostly in tomes of arcane writings -rarely spoken by few except the Scarlet Brotherhood and the most learned among the Sule people.
Amedi - tribal variation of the Suloise , rarely used even amongst the Sule themselves
Cold Tongue - tribal variation of the Suloise, used mostly by the Frost Barbarians
Druidic - variation on Flan
Ferral - used mostly for military command amongst the Iron League, an arcane variation develops near the Onwall and Irongate regions
Keolandish - Widespread variation on the Old Oeridian
Lendorian - very Obscure viariation on the Suloise
Lendorian Elvish - Common for elves of the Lendore Isles
Olman-Obscure Suloise slang
Ordai - tribal variation of Baklunish
Pomarj - blended tongue for orcs and some other humanoids
Rhopan -mostly known as the thieves cant language
Suloise - common for the Sule people
Ulagha - debased form of Baklunish, used by people of the Ulek
Velondi - tribal variation of the Old Oeridian - no written form

Will post more as I learn of them, or describe further any of the above as it comes up

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by NJWilliam »

What would be the "common" for Ket?
Baklunish
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Stonjuz »

city of greyhawk current.gif
city of greyhawk current.gif (202.01 KiB) Viewed 3009 times

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Stonjuz »

NJWilliam wrote:What would be the "common" for Ket?
Baklunish
Also found this....
The real reason you wanted to leave Ket.

CY 591 Beygraf Nadaid, the ruler mentioned is still on the throne. The harsh laws enforced by the Threshers, Jurats (judges) and priests are at their most extreme, and the people of Ket suffer for every minor infraction of the law. Many are shipped off to the copper mines as slaves

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Vargr1105 »

Man... :shock:

It's like the entire Flanaess starts getting medieval on everyone's arse after the Greyhawk Wars.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Stonjuz »

I got into Rob Kuntz's Greyhawk game for Garycon 5. I have the OD&D books.
I need some refresher on pre-war Greyhawk.
Vargr is my DM in the only 'real' Greyhawk game Ive ever played, and in THAT game, my character is stuck on a damn mountain. He doesnt even know where he is. So that doesnt help. Anybody know of some sites that may help me?

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”