Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2.5 Rules Q&A

#1 Post by Stonjuz »

Rules Q&A

http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/
viewtopic.php?p=16531#p16531

The books you should check out are the .....
Players Option Skills and Powers
Spells and Magic (for caster types)
2nd Edition Players Handbook

To a lesser extent,
Combat and Tactics,
2nd Edition DMG,
Tome of Magic
the Complete Class Handbooks - kits are not used but some abilities may be.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: 2.5 Rules Q&A

#2 Post by Stonjuz »

2.5 is ....2nd Edition with the additon of Skills and Powers, Spells and Magic, and Combat and Tactics.
In my opinion, the biggest difference between 2.5 and the prior 2nd Edition is the Spell Point System.
It may take awhile to get used to drawing from an unprepared spell, or casting a spell that is above your ability.
Careful, your head could explode. 8-)

Non-weapon Profc. is also another big change from the way we are used to playing.
For example, in 1st edition, a player would state that they are casting their hook and line into the lake to find a meal. The dm would either state the result, or have the player make a roll and then the Dm's judgement would decide.
In second edition, any player can still attempt to fish but only in the simplest of manners, and will have a chance of success equal to the fishing initial rating (6) plus Wisdom/Intuition or Intelligence/Knowledge modifier, plus penalties due to difficult circumstance, or bonuses with a proficient ally nearby perhaps.
A player with fishing skill on his/her sheet, begins with the same modified inital rating. But even if he/she is after a Marlin in the choppiest of ocean waters, he/she can still attempt success. They will have a posted number on how well they are adapt at fishing. The number can be raised at creation and during advancement. Fishing (12) is not as good as Fishing (18).
No skill can be raised above the relevant Ability score, at creation, and cannot be raised above 18 without special permission.
Players gain 5 character points from advancing in level. Successful goals accomplished, good roleplaying, teamwork, etc....can earn discretionary cp awards

Is that example helpful to anyone?, lol

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by ragnboneshopper »

I'm more familiar with the class handbooks and kits. So if there's a skill from those we're interested in, we just ask if we can use it?

Will check out the options books...
"I must lie down where all the ladders start / In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart." —W. B. Yeats, "The Circus Animals' Desertion"

Geert Harfoot, Level 1 Halfling, Spartakos's Borderlands of Lamora Game
Brother Constantine, Level 3 Half-Elf Cleric/Magic-User, Spartakos's Play by Board Game
Former Unseen Servant DM, UK5 Eye of the Serpent

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Stonjuz »

If you are playing Skuzz, he already has a kit listed. He is Sharpshooter. (Its from Skills and Powers book)

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Stonjuz »

Bumping everyone to 2nd level real soon. (<2501 xp)
You should begin thinking about what changes you are going to make, option you are going to choose.
The players will also recieve 5 Character points to spend on level.

Darius and Branc (2500) will recieve enough xp, from tavern roleplay, the fights with the djinn, lizard and cleric.
Nayman (2000)will recieve some of that, but lost a little bit, he was asleep for close to half of the djinn encounter.
Garth and Agrim were chosen due to their past adventuring resume, and this fight gave both of them enough to level up.
Same goes for Bazil who also had prior adventuring tales.
Each of these three will gain exactly enough to rise one level, or one level in one class for multiclasses.

If you take something that would require formal training, aka a new skill or weapon proficiency, you will need to train first, but you can still take it.
Other options would be increasing known skills, or stats. (but they would need to be ones that were of benefit sometime during this tale) -You cant increase a non relevent skill such as Navigation.

Use this thread for leveling questions.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Stonjuz »

The rewards from the ant xp will push some of you in level
Lets start with...
Agrim, was shaman 2/fighter 1 at 1500/1500
+2500 +10% class prime bonuses gives him 2875/2875 which is now Shaman 2/Fighter 2 congrats

Benson - fighter 2 at 2000 xp
+2500 +10% strength = 4750 Fighter 3, congrats

Branc was mage 2 2500
plus 2500 +10% intel bonus gives him 5250 total xp, Wizard 3, congrats

Garth was druid 2/mage 1 (at 2000/2000)
2500 +10% prime bonus now 3375/3375 Druid 2/ Mage 2), congrats

Nayman was thief 2 at 1250
2500+10% dext gives him 4000xp, congrats Thief 3

Casters normally get xp for spell usage and fighters get xp for HD killed, but im gonna waive those for the ANT encounter.
(just this once, promise)

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by grey_starr »

Stonjuz wrote:The rewards from the ant xp will push some of you in level
Lets start with...
Agrim, was shaman 2/fighter 1 at 1500/1500
+2500 +10% class prime bonuses gives him 2875/2875 which is now Shaman 2/Fighter 2 congrats

Benson - fighter 2 at 2000 xp
+2500 +10% strength = 4750 Fighter 3, congrats

Branc was mage 2 2500
plus 2500 +10% intel bonus gives him 5250 total xp, Wizard 3, congrats

Garth was druid 2/mage 1 (at 2000/2000)
2500 +10% prime bonus now 3375/3375 Druid 2/ Mage 2), congrats

Nayman was thief 2 at 1250
2500+10% dext gives him 4000xp, congrats Thief 3

Casters normally get xp for spell usage and fighters get xp for HD killed, but im gonna waive those for the ANT encounter.
(just this once, promise)
plus you gave a 250 RP bonus earlier to me... so 5000 :D
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Stonjuz »

just bumping this thread out of my way for now
Favorites?
2.5 or 2e?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rukellian »

Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by wolfpack »

1e then 2e

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by ragnboneshopper »

I prefer 1e these days, though I had much more familiarity with 2e back in the day. 2.5e seems more fiddly than I would want to run as a DM, but it's been fun to play around with on the other side of the screen... :D

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Stonjuz »

Sorry bro, in a normal game, all of those rolls would have been failures. (except for the 16 tie)
Saving throws require rolling higher than your stat for success.
....S(17): [1d20] = 2....Unfortunately, this is the part I needed, and Benson failed it, by alot.
A fourth lvl fighter save vs. spells stat would be (16), still a failure though.

Rukellian wrote:[1d20] = 15
My roll for the spell save is above. I easily get confused between whether I need to roll high or low for those, so yeah, I'm in the dark for now.:
Save vs spell for a 3rd lvl mage is (12). You rolled 15. Fezuul made it.

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by grey_starr »

Stonjuz wrote:
Sorry bro, in a normal game, all of those rolls would have been failures. (except for the 16 tie)
Saving throws require rolling higher than your stat for success.
....S(17): [1d20] = 2....Unfortunately, this is the part I needed, and Benson failed it, by alot.
A fourth lvl fighter save vs. spells stat would be (16), still a failure though.
I know :( was trying to fool the DM :twisted: ....... right - I forgot to update the rolls for level change! I better re-roll! :mrgreen:
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”