Session 2: Return to the Citadel

DM: Dave
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Session 2: Return to the Citadel

#261 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben "Being that Erky was a prisoner potentially very little could be known of this chief however since we just killed a bunch of his kin I imagine a negotiating chat is less likely in the cards for us Sky." the gnome does not follow Sky into the smelly room wondering how the tabaxi can stand the smell when it is strong enough to insult his gnome senses enough to avoid going into the room.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#262 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Hmm. We can press on, likely running into more goblins now that they have been alerted, or we could go back and explore that hallway with the open doors. You never know, we might be able to find a room we can hole up in to rest.

I didn't realize this was the direction to the chief. I thought it was through the long hallway.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#263 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

He was dead set on getting this business done. He had little regard for the goblins' quarters, but he recognized the lock on the far end of the hall. Based on what we've seen before, we should check this hall for traps, he said in his most confident voice. He then started looking as he walked. His eyes were giving him a bit of trouble, though...being old and all.
Perception: [1d20+5] = 4+5 = 9

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#264 Post by dmw71 »

Hallway, Bandit Living Quarters
Recognizing the scent of the goblin sleeping quarters, Sky enters the room and looks around, jostling the tattered hides that make up the hammocks, and the fire pit, and the battered cooking equipment. The tabaxi's efforts turn up some putrid jerky, vinegary wine in poorly preserved water skins, and a few worthless bits of clutter. Clearly these bandits were not much in the way of useful possessions. There are no other apparent exits visible from this living quarter are.

The bard steps back into the archery area and shares her findings. "So, what do you know of Chief Durnn?" she asks the freed gnome who's joined their ranks. Erky simply shrugs his shoulders at mention of the name. "Is that the goblin chief?" he asks, unsure.

"But, having been imprisoned here for -- hmmm, I can't say, for sure. A long time. Anyway, I can say, while the goblins speak mostly in terrified whispers, I have heard them talk about something called the Twilight Grove, which is further underground, I guess," he volunteers. "A wicked old human called Belak -- a spellcaster, I suspect -- tends an enchanted garden and harvests fruit from something the goblins call the Gulthias Tree," he adds.

"Is this information helpful to you?"

Having collected the information they could from the gnome, Hargrem begins eyeing the locked door at the end of the hallway. "Based on what we've seen before, we should check this hall for traps," Hargrem says confidently, moving slowly in that direction as he inspects the floor, and walls, not spying any issues.

Until he apparently steps onto an undetected pit cover. The rest of the group watches as the floor seems to split open, with the sides of the hallway flipping open, and their cleric disappears!
Hallway Trap.jpg
Hallway Trap.jpg (58.7 KiB) Viewed 1986 times

Hargrem feels the floor disappear from beneath his feet and finds himself lying prone on his back after being dumped into a 10-foot deep pit (-5).

Looking up, the cleric curses for failing to notice the 2-foot wide catwalk across the pit's center which is still intact.

---

Actions?

---

Date: 13 Flamerule 1489
Time: 16:11 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Temp: 62°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 13 Flamerule @ 17:04)
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
  • Klilxuac: 'Mage Armor' spell (1st-level) (Ends: 13 Flamerule @ 21:33)
Character Status
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue ( 2) | NG | HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 17-4 = 13 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (2) | CN | HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 15 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (2) | CG | HD (1d6): 2, 1 | HP: 14-5 = 9-4 = 5-4 = 1+6 = 7+4 = 11 | AC: (15) 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish, Abyssal
      Spell Slots: 0: 4, 1st: 3, 2, 1, 0
      Breath Weapon: 1, 0 (DC: 11 | Damage 2d6; save for half) (Rest: Short or Long)
      Features:
    ---
  • Shaede | Hargrem | Human (Variant) | Cleric (2) | NG | HD (1d8): 2, 1 | HP: 17-8 = 9+4 = 13-5 = 8 | AC: 17 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Perception: 15 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Meepo
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Meepo
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308

#265 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Shaking his head, the sorcerer moves to the edge of the pit, where he begins unspooling some of his rope to help Hargrem climb out. We do not seem to have the greatest luck when it comes to this type of trap, do we? he asks of noone in particular.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT

#266 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben shakes his head "Should've left the trap checking to the experts. Here let me see if we can get you some rope and get you out Hargrem." the gnome says fishing through his stuff in his pack to pull out some rope and feeding it down to the cleric "I might need some help holding this end of the rope so he can climb out." the gnome says to the others standing about.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#267 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

What the...?!!? yelled the cleric as he fell and landed hard at the bottom of the pit. Yes, yes the others were right that they've had little luck on these goblin traps. But, Hargrem wanted to help out in some way, and this was definitely not helpful. Before he grabbed the rope, he called to Tymora to heal him from this bad luck and more importantly, his hurting body.

Then, he grabbed the rope offered by the others and hoisted himself up. That was dumb on my part, all. I am sorry. Worst off though, I need some rest if we are to get into another scrap, else I won't be able to help you with your wounds. He waited to see if the others agreed or not. He wanted to push on despite the lack of help, but that could be potentially dangerous, especially if there is a goblin chief around.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#268 Post by dmw71 »

Pit Trap
Hargrem calls upon his last favor from Tymora for the day, but finds himself at full heath once he emerges from the pit trap.
Pit Trap.jpg
Pit Trap.jpg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
The group finds themselves standing in the hallway opposite the wooden locked door that lured Hargrem into the pit trap that remains propped open. A 2-foot wide plank, like a catwalk, securely connects the side of the hallway the group is on to the door.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 16:12 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 13 Flamerule @ 17:04)
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
Character Status
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue ( 2) | NG | HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 17-4 = 13 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (2) | CN | HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 15 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (2) | CG | HD (1d6): 2, 1 | HP: 14-5 = 9-4 = 5-4 = 1+6 = 7+4 = 11 | AC: (15) 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
      Features:
    ---
  • Shaede | Hargrem | Human (Variant) | Cleric (2) | NG | HD (1d8): 2, 1 | HP: 17 | AC: 17 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Perception: 15 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Meepo
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Meepo
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky watches as Hargrem falls below sight, and chuckles at the thud. "At least you're lucky. The last pit was filled with spikes. Maybe the next will have pillows."

She turns to Kelben. She looks from the door to Kelben then back again. She walks over to the door, across the catwalk and sits calmly at the door. Waiting.

GreyWolfVT

#270 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben will attempt to cross the pit on the board across the center of it then will work on the door once or if he makes it over.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#271 Post by dmw71 »

Door... Unlocked
After commenting about how the next pit trap will be filled with pillows, Sky turns to Kelben. She looks from the door to Kelben then back again. She walks over to the door, across the catwalk and sits calmly at the door. Waiting.

The rogue, taking the not-so-subtle hint, crosses the catwalk behind the tabaxi and, after his initial effort is thwarted by a lack of space created by the curious feline behind him, the gnome hears the desired 'click' as his lock picks successfully rearrange the tumblers to disable the lock.

With the rest of the group behind them, the pair stand on the catwalk in front of the unlocked but still closed wooden door immediately in front of them, with a 10-foot drop looming off to either side.
Unlocked Door.jpg
Unlocked Door.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
A brief shuffling sound is heard coming from the other side of this door looming on the far side of this catwalk.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 16:14 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status
      Features:
    ---
  • Shaede | Hargrem | Human (Variant) | Cleric (2) | NG | HD (1d8): 2, 1 | HP: 17 | AC: 17 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Perception: 15 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Meepo
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Meepo
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#272 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Well, whatever is behind that door knows we're here and is likely ready for us.

The sorcerer will walk over to the northern door, trying to hear any noises from the other side.

GreyWolfVT

#273 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben nods at the dragonborn's statement "Yes I heard something on the other side of the door be ready." the gnome warns as he puts a hand on the sword hilt and the other ready to open the door once everyone has signaled or indicated they are ready.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#274 Post by dmw71 »

Door
"Well, whatever is behind that door knows we're here and is likely ready for us," Klilxuac says, moving up to the door and listening intently for any noises coming from the other side, while Kelben and the rest reach for their weapons.
Sounds.jpg
Sounds.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
The sorcerer hears a brief shuffling sound, and what sounds like a chain rattle.

The sounds are only heard for a moment, then the room falls silent.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 16:15 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status
      Features:
    ---
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Meepo
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Meepo
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Excited at the possibility of new prey, Sky nods and crouches in anticipation. "Anytime you want Kelben." She then pauses and rises up. "I'm not the best with construction, but isn't there another door to this room? One off of the large pillared one?"

"How about some flanking? Hargrem and I can sweep around the other way and we enter at about the same time?"

GreyWolfVT

#276 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben opens the door and holds his breath for a heartbeat as the door is being opened then he breathes normally partially drawing his sword in the process.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

As Kelben opens the door, Sky gets a puzzled look on her face. "Did I say that last part out loud, or are the voices only in my head again?" She shakes her head. "No, no. If what was in my head was spoken aloud, everyone would be laughing."

She turns and races off to find the other door to the room.
Uses Feline Agility

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#278 Post by dmw71 »

Trophy Room
"Anytime you want Kelben," Sky says, then and rises up. "I'm not the best with construction, but isn't there another door to this room? One off of the large pillared one?" the tabaxi wonders aloud.

"How about some flanking? Hargrem and I can sweep around the other way and we enter at about the same time?"

Kelben, apparently only hearing the "anytime you want" part, draws a breath then slowly opens the door.

Sky, wondering if her additional thoughts were expressed verbally, or just something she said to herself in her head, turns and, using her cat-like reflexes, quickly darts off in the opposite direction... opening another door leading into the room, from the southern wall, moments later.
Trophy Room.jpg
Trophy Room.jpg (75.61 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
Sloppily mounted and stuffed animal heads adorn the walls of this new room; the assortment of heads includes cattle, rats, and other not particularly impressive specimens. A few grisly trophies share the wall with the animals, including a couple of kobold heads.

Smashed and broken cabinets and small tables litter the periphery of the room, mute victims of some sort of rampage.

A rusted iron spike stands in the center of the room, trailing a broken chain.

The temperature drops slightly once the door is opened, and thin patches of frost coat sections of the walls, floor, and debris.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 16:16 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status
      Features:
    ---
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Meepo
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Meepo
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#279 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben moves further into the room to allow those behind him to enter the grisly trophy room "Meepo I warn that you won't like what you see in here."

Scott308

#280 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

The sorcerer walks into the room, examining the frost. This...looks out of place here.

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”