Stonehell Dungeon - Who wants to play?

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

Stonehell Dungeon - Who wants to play?

#1 Post by Tamerlaine »

Okay, I've done it. After weeks of fidgeting and procrastinating, I've decided to make my move and announce my desire to run a game using Stonehell Dungeon. Default system will be LL with S&W as runner up if there is enough interest from the players who want to use the latter ( I like both so it doesn't matter, I just think LL is more popular here on US). There will be a few house rules at the start and possible some more thrown in during the course of the game. Of those who are interested in playing, please do me the favor of passing on this if you have participated in Stonehell before. I'm committing myself to this for the long haul and I expect those interested to be able to stick with it as well. I know real life happens and things can happen during the course of the game (I suffered a heart attack running my first PbP game), but let's have the effort. I want roleplaying, not rule lawyering, min-maxing players who post once every two or three weeks. I want the long delve, the roleplaying, the heroics we'll all remember. It's going to be fun and I want to share in that with you.

So, looking a balanced party of 5-6 foolish, ahem...foolhardy and brave 1st level heroes to sign up for a grand adventure of indeterminate duration. After much, much thought and pondering, if you are still interested in glory and treasure, then throw it out there with a preference of either Labyrinth Lord or Swords & Wizardry rules.

** Edited 8/25/16 ** Rules system will be Swords & Wizardry Complete
Last edited by Tamerlaine on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Stonehell Dungeon - Who wants to play?

#2 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Sign me up! This should be good.
Failure is always an option.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Tamerlaine »

Glad to see your interest Gelatinous!

Decided to go with S&W Core rules. I have a lot of dead tree resources for this system on hand and I'm more comfortable with it. For most of you used to LL, there's very little difference between the two except for the single saving throw in S&W. If anyone doesn't know this, the rules set is available for free at http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/?page_id=4

Working on the House Rules list.
Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Other than the expanded classes, are there any substantive differences between S&W Complete and Core? (I'm only asking because I have a hard copy of the former that I've recently read, and a pdf of the latter that I haven't.)
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Tamerlaine »

HOLY CRAP, BATMAN! S&W Complete in PDF is now FREE on Frog God Games! That changes everything. Hmmm, going to swap out the Core rules for the Complete system with Stonehell Dungeon. I always used the Core rules because it was free for everyone to download, but now I can run S&W Complete. Now we can have expanded classes!

(claps hands with glee)
sexyhamster
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by sexyhamster »

Hella yeah, I'm down for this. Count me in Tamster!
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Keehnelf »

I don't have time to play, but I can heartily recommend Stonehell Dungeon to those who might be on the fence. It's a pretty solid megadungeon without TOO many bells and whistles but lots of really solid fun, and really straightforward to DM.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Eris »

I'm new here, and so this post is still moderated. I don't know if you'll get it in time, but I'm interested in playing. I've seen something of Stonehell Dungeon, but that was many months ago and I couldn't tell you anything about it other than it looked like a fun mega dungeon.

I am playing in a couple of other PBP games on different forums. I also GM a couple of PBEM games, both of which are over a decade old. So I have some experience with the form.

Style wise, I prefer rules lite game where the players trust the DM to do most (if not all) of the crunchy stuff behind the scenes while we concentrate on role playing. I've never played S&W, but I bought a copy when it first came out and it looked pretty interesting...I liked the ascending AC option, but the "Old School" flavor to everything else.

Just to let you know, I'm so old, I bought my first D&D books in 1975 and kept buying up to AD&D, where crunch started killing fun. I didn't like descending AC and actively disliked THACO. :) So, I played other systems and homebrewed until d20 arrived. I liked the bones of d20, but only the bones.That's what I still run; d20 without Feats, Skills, and virtually everything that goes beyond "roll a d20, add your Att and beat this number."

Anyway, enough about me, if you get this post, can I play? :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by tpj »

Hello. I just recently joined this forum, but I've been active for the last several months on the Paizo PbP forums.

I got into Basic D&D in 1983 and moved into AD&D 1E shortly after. I fell off after high school and some detours into the TSR Marvel Heroes game, but I recently got interested in TTRPGs again. Over on Paizo under this same ID, I'm currently playing in a couple 5E and Pathfinder games, as well as GMing a Labyrinth Lord intro adventure and preparing to run Maze of the Blue Medusa in 5E. Everything is moving slowly enough that I've got room for one more. I'm seriously interested in trying out S&W (I've looked over the core and complete rules), and particularly Stonehell Dungeon, which I'm considering running at a later date. S&W feels a lot like D&D Basic with some AD&D 1E concepts thrown in, so I should be comfortable, if you'll allow me.

Thanks!
Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by Fidget76 »

Hey,

I know that it has been a while since anyone has posted here. Wondering if it's not too late to join this game?
In the Marches (Traveller)
Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts, --, 4 terms,
35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Mechanics-1,
Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1. Benefit: Auto
Pistol

Lab Lord - The North Marches
Dorath, Magic User
Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by Gelatinous Q »

I'm still in if Tamerlaine's still interested in running the game.

Return to “Looking for players or games”