01: Not Another Medical Drama (FantasyChic, MonkeyWrench)

Fulci
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

01: Not Another Medical Drama (FantasyChic, MonkeyWrench)

#1 Post by Fulci »

======================================================
3/6/2117 - 19:45, almost the end of the Day-Shift
Characters: Victoria James (FantasyChic), Quincy Barnes (MonkeyWrench)

The day drags on, long, boring, and kind of event-less.

The Vault Medical Ward consists of three adjacent rooms. The central room is the actual Ward, with twelve beds and big cupboards & lockers for storing various equipment and meds. The room on the left is the surgery. The room on the right, divided from the central room, is where the Head Physician's (Doc Barnes') resides. This office is divided from the Ward by a wide glasses window in the wall, so that the honcho could supervise everything that goes on. The window can be closed with curtains.

There is currently only one inpatient to care about - Goldie Mochnaz, the PE-teacher, who strained and pulled several muscles in her leg while demonstrating an exercise to the 7-12 year olds. Goldie's a recent addition to the teaching crew: she wasn't around when the young medical assistants frequented "School District 14". She requires frequent changes of ice-packs and a few vitamins and calcium-tablets with every meal.

So, generally, it would be a good time for Victoria and Quincy to slack off, chat, bond, do anything they wish. But to keep the working spirit up, Doc Barnes gave menial tasks to his minions. Thus, Victoria spent most of the day cleaning and sanitizing surgery equipment, while Quincy was to review 10-years of medical records to check for the frequency of certain illnesses.

At least there are some nice tunes playing on the Vault-Radio...

Around 19:45 Victoria and Quincy both finally finish their tasks. They are still on the clock though! They know this, because from his office, Doc Barnes raises his wrist and gestures at his Pip-Boy's time digits, and even without reading his lips Victoria and Quincy can tell that he's saying "15 more minutes before you can leave, youngsters!"

Victoria has a headache - maybe it's from the fumes of the sterilizing fluids, or maybe that weird sound coming from the ward's neon lights. Quincy is simply tired and annoyed. But he is now certain that in the years come, judging from the results of his analysis, the Vault will die out from too much nose bleeds, one of the most common maladies (only second to bumping one's forehead against that low lintel on the Level 2 main corridor). Who knows, maybe these two problems are related?

Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 01: Not Another Medical Drama (FantasyChic, MonkeyWrench

#2 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Quincy gives a quick thumbs up to his father before grabbing the clipboard detailing Goldie Mochnaz's injury. He leans against a nearby table and looks it all over, making sure the information listed is accurate and that she received the correct amount of medication and vitamins, too much and they'd have to do another stock count and projected time before it all runs out, any less and she doesn't recover fast enough.

As he reads over the notes he looks over to Victoria, giving a slight chuckle as he speaks in a casual tone, "So now to meet quota's we act like we are doing something for 15 minutes." noticing her grimace Quincy gives her a more worried look, "Headache?" he sets the clipboard back down and walks over to her, leaning against the counter containing the surgical equipment she had just finished sterilizing, "Want me to look at it?" he leans in closer to her, lowering his voice to a more conspiratory tone, "I have a stash of med-x that I took back from Zach last week, I'm sure a couple could go missing before I put it back on the shelves..." He gives her a wink and grin.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Fulci »

MonkeyWrench wrote:Quincy gives a quick thumbs up to his father before grabbing the clipboard detailing Goldie Mochnaz's injury. He leans against a nearby table and looks it all over, making sure the information listed is accurate and that she received the correct amount of medication and vitamins, too much and they'd have to do another stock count and projected time before it all runs out, any less and she doesn't recover fast enough.
Quincy skims through the basic information recorded on the sheet: Goldie Mochnaz, age 38, height and weight. Quincy glances at the woman (currently asleep): she has an athletic body, no wonder they put her on the Physical Education team. Blood pressure, pulse readings listed further on, then what the aspiring doctor was looking for: the various abbreviations in Doc Barnes' handwriting, denoting the various dosages of "meds and vits".

Please make a Doctor roll to analyse your father's medication choices!
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by FantasyChic »

Victoria sterilized that equipment like there was no tomorrow! At least, that's how she played it in her head. It was probably the most boring task the Doctor could have given her. When she was told she qualified to be a nurse, she was kind of excited. Being able to help treat patients, cure diseases, and all of that seemed like a good use of her time. Not to mention she got to spend time with Quincy, but that was just a bonus.

However, in the time she's been here they haven't had many issues arise. A few bumps and bruises, the occasional surgery, but for the most part, it seemed like nosebleeds and headaches were the worst to come through their doors.

Speaking of which, Victoria has a headache, and it hurt. As she watched the Doctor clock them with 15 more minutes, she gave a hard sigh and grimaced, rubbing her forehead. Quincy came up to her, "Headache? Want me to look at it? He leaned in closer to the point where it made her blush...kind of...and continued "I have a stash of med-x that I took back from Zach last week, I'm sure a couple could go missing before I put it back on the shelves..." He gave her a grin and a wink. She couldn't tell if he was serious or not, but the pain was getting to her

"I should be fine once we get out of here. It's probably the chemicals from the sanitation. The offer is appreciated, she returned with a smile.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Fulci wrote:Please make a Doctor roll to analyse your father's medication choices!
Apparently Quincy doesn't know what he's doing! Which is pretty usually for me personally :lol:
Quincy Doctor Roll (60): [1d100] = 75
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Fulci »

The numbers look fine. There is some dirt in the lower right corner of the clipboard. Quincy wipes the plastic pad clean with his sleeve. This will surely make his father happy! Now back to chatting with Victoria.
G A M E S :

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by MonkeyWrench »

FantasyChic wrote:She couldn't tell if he was serious or not, but the pain was getting to her

"I should be fine once we get out of here. It's probably the chemicals from the sanitation. The offer is appreciated, she returned with a smile.
Quincy leaned back out with a shrug, "If you say so..." He chuckles a bit before looking back at the mounted wall clock, checking how much time they had left, "If it gets worse let me know, I do worry about you." with a smile he gives her a gentle and playful nudge with his hand before walking back over to the table he had his notes on. Picking them up to review any material with a sigh escaping his lips. as he reads he calls back out to Victoria, looking to make more casual conversation, "So, have any plans for when our times up?"

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Fulci wrote:
The numbers look fine. There is some dirt in the lower right corner of the clipboard. Quincy wipes the plastic pad clean with his sleeve. This will surely make his father happy! Now back to chatting with Victoria.
It's all about making the pops happy!

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by FantasyChic »

MonkeyWrench wrote: Quincy leaned back out with a shrug, "If you say so..." He chuckles a bit before looking back at the mounted wall clock, checking how much time they had left, "If it gets worse let me know, I do worry about you." with a smile he gives her a gentle and playful nudge with his hand before walking back over to the table he had his notes on. Picking them up to review any material with a sigh escaping his lips. as he reads he calls back out to Victoria, looking to make more casual conversation, "So, have any plans for when our times up?"
Victoria gave off a casual shrug, Nothing really? Not like there's much I can do, other than read the same books I've read over and over. Perhaps some radio? I don't know, what about you?" she asked in return.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by MonkeyWrench »

FantasyChic wrote:Victoria gave off a casual shrug, Nothing really? Not like there's much I can do, other than read the same books I've read over and over. Perhaps some radio? I don't know, what about you?" she asked in return.
Quincy took a moment to rub his eyes, the words along his notes starting to bleed together, "Normally I'd be studying or practicing with the equipment but after the last couple of weeks with nothing but that my mind is starting to melt. Want to do something together? Take a walk down through hydroponics and grab some dinner or something? Maybe the rec room has something playing that we haven't seen a billion times." he ends the last part with a laugh, knowing that most likely they have seen it a billion times while growing up.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by FantasyChic »

Victoria grinned as she pretended to get some work done in the short amount of time they had left. "That sounds enjoyable. Better than staring at the gray walls for another day."

-Dr. Seuss

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Fulci »

3/6/2117 - 19:50, almost the end of the Day-Shift

The dialog of the two lovebirds (are there lovebirds in an underground Vault? loverats? loveworms? wouldn't being a lovebird in a Vault make you a couple of canaries in a coal mine?) is interrupted by the sudden appearance of Dr. Sybil Munro, Vault Overseer! She is wearing a lab coat over her coveralls, and is clutching a metallic briefcase. This strict lady has a way of walking around the corridors in the most silent way possible, always popping up behind people. Let's hope she didn't overhear much...
dr munro.png
dr munro.png (206.54 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
Strangely enough, Dr. Munro seems a bit startled herself.

"Greetings, young Dwellers," she says then quickly glances around the ward. "I, err, I came to see PE Teacher Mochnaz. Check in on her." Seeing that Goldie Mochnaz is asleep, she just asks: "How is her condition?"
G A M E S :

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Quincy was about to say something when the doors slid open, his eyes widening on who it was that came to visit. Listening to the overseer Quincy nodded before walking over to the now asleep P.E. teacher and grabbing the clipboard, turning back to the overseer, "She's doing well, still in recovery. She can leave when she wakes up but will need to keep her leg elevated and frequently change out ice packs. As well as needing crutches for any movement for at least a week while the ankle heals." he then grabs two bottles from a nearby cabinet, "She'll also need to take one of each of these for that week to further expedite recovery and make sure her ankle comes back stronger... Other than that she is perfectly fine." He puts the clipboard down and motions to Victoria, "Nurse James will be able to answer any questions about further physical recovery procedures. I'll go ahead and let the Doctor know you are here, in case you two need to talk, one moment." He turns around and starts to walk towards the back office, making sure to shoot Victoria a wink while he back is turned to the overseer. As he leaves her to speak to the overseer alone, leaving her to wolves so to speak, he mouths silently, "I'll make it up to you."

He then makes his way to his fathers office to let him know the reason for the overseer's visit and if he had anything to speak to her about.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Fulci »

"Such formalities and introductions are unnecessary among Vault Officials," Dr. Munro says, finally retaining her usual strict and intimidating composure. "Besides, Junior Medical Assistant Barnes, you are not a secretary."

The Overseer ignores Victoria and heads straight for Doc Barnes' office door.

She glances at the oversized Vault-Official-Tier Pip-Boy on her wrist.
"Your shift is over. I presume the scheduled Night Shift Nurse will take over soon. You are free to head over to Recreations."

Unless interrupted again, she enters the office. The door slides shut behind her. The two young Dwellers see through the window in the wall that Doc Barnes lifts his head from his papers. He seems surprised (and maybe also a bit frightened - or is that Victoria and Quincy reading their own emotion into the Head Physician's expression?). Dr. Munro steps up the the window and closes the curtains.
G A M E S :

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by FantasyChic »

Victoria was about to do...something (we'll leave that to your imagination) before the Overseer walked in. Surprised, she took a few steps back and grabbed the nearest thing, which happened to be a clipboard. As Quincy laid out the details to her, Victoria took a look at the Overseer. Normally, she didn't seem to..nervous? Was she nervous?

The facade didn't last long as the Overseer walked right past her, without so much as a cursory nod. Something was up.

"Your shift is over. I presume the scheduled Night Shift Nurse will take over soon. You are free to head over to Recreations."

The quick dismissal left Victoria feeling slightly flushed, but more angry than not.

As soon as the door closed and the curtain was drawn, Victoria turned to Quincy "The nerve! She acted like I wasn't even here for the most part and is now dismissing me? She rubbed her forehead again, her headache worsened, "Something isn't right here Quincy. Why would the Overseer come to check on a teacher in what would normally be considered an accident?"

-Dr. Seuss

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Quincy stares up at the curtain, "Hmm..." He looks back to the sleeping P.E. teacher, "I guess something is going on that we aren't aware of..." he walks over to Victoria, leaning next to her as she still grips the clipboard, "I'm sure we'll find out in time though, probably something between Mochnaz and the overseer..." he extends his elbow, motioning for Victoria to slip her arm through like in the old romance vids that play sometimes, "Either way it has nothing to do with us for the moment, ready to go? Who knows, we may find some trouble of our own." he gives her a grin and wink.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by FantasyChic »

She giggles like a schoolgirl, a habit she has yet to break, and linked her arm. "I can't say no to you, you know that. Lead on.

As they exit, Victoria takes a small look back at the curtain. She may be letting it go now, but she would be darned if she'd let it go for long.

-Dr. Seuss

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Giving her a smile and chuckle Quincy leads her out of the medical office, leading her to the cafeteria to grab some food, once done they would stroll about or check out what is going on in the entertainment area, whichever Victoria likes best.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Fulci »

3/6/2117 - 20:00, end of the Day-Shift!

Well, at least with Dr. Munro's unholy intermission, the youngsters were let of work a few minutes earlier! Victoria and Quincy slide down the promenade Vault corridors and head over to the cafeteria. A bunch of children run past by them - "I hope they have orange soylent! - Trade my green jelly for a Choco-Fake™! - Zack told me that the Insta-Snacks make you poo purple, wanna try?! - Stay away from the Docs, they will take your temperature!!" - daycare & kindergarten let out as well.

The Vault kitchen is more akin to a laboratory, with a row of machines squirting out various nutri-mixes. All kinds of chemicals, additives, synthetic materials... Some real fruits and vegetables are grown in the Hydroponics, but they aren't used in day-to-day cuisine. No wonder that the younger generations of Vault Dwellers, who at this point have no concept of "real food", developed a taste or preference for certain colors and artificial flavors, and are ready to bribe the cafeteria assistants and operators to "cook" their favorite recipe!

Today there are three types of soylents and two types of jelly, and also an assortment of "energy bar" type snacks. A kitchen assistant is piling them out on multi-compartment trays. The cafeteria operator, Roman, is standing behind the counter, accepting food tickets... and maybe taking some "special orders" as well.

G A M E S :

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Before I post, what is Roman? Robot, human, or that wall food thing? I'll assume he's a human.

Quincy looks out over the cafeteria before looking back to Victoria, "Hey Vic, can you grab a nice table? I'll bring the food over." He gives her a mischievous look before winking.

When she leaves Quincy will walk up to Roman, giving the man a smile, "Hey Roman, how's the day been so far? Me and Victoria just got out of active office duty." Quincy leans a bit closer, "These last few weeks have been pretty awful on the mind for everyone, and I was hoping to do something nice for Victoria, help her have a fun night and relax a bit... So..." He looks over the current selection of processed goo and soylent, "Happen to have anything that is maybe a bit... better? Maybe something in the back that we've been saving for a rainy day?" He lowers his voice a bit more, "It would mean a lot to me, and I might be able to help you out, it certainly can't hurt to have an aspiring doctor owe you a favor, right?"

Quincy Speech Roll (65): [1d100] = 12 Boom
Last edited by MonkeyWrench on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vaults & Wastelands - Fallout PnP”