Character creation

Fulci
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Character creation

#1 Post by Fulci »

Premises: You are lucky. You live in a Vault, the only place fit for human habitation on the nuclear wasteland called Earth. You are a second generation Vault Dwellers, born & raised underground, sheltered from radiation, mutants, and who knows what else. Without the Overseer's protection and the thick concrete walls, death is inevitable. Of course, you are confined to a small space, food is bland and rationed, but at least it's nutritious and not contaminated by the poisons of the post-Atomic age. For you, the Vault is the world.

Until one day...

Characters: Level 1 Humans. Traits & Skills should reflect your Vault-upbringing and specialization. Young Vault Dwellers, 16-24 years of age. You know each other well - we will outline these relationships collectively during character generation. Your relationships with prominent NPCs will also play an important part in the first phase of the game.

Character creation is by the book, except that you are not allowed to tag Big Guns, Pilot and Outdoorsman (due to the Vault upbringing).

You can find a self-filling excel sheet here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/215vbb7u8 ... er_1.0.xls. Using this is not obligatory, but it's quite helpful when calculating your skills.

For forum usage, here's a character template (thanks, Rukellian!):

Name:
Race:
Hair:
Eyes:
Height:
Weight:

Level:
Experience:

ST:
PE:
EN:
CH:
IN:
AG:
LK:

Hit Points:
Carry Weight:
Action Points:
Sequence:
Melee Damage:
Critical Chance:
Healing Rate:
Poison Resist:
Radiation Resist:
Gas Resist:
Electricity Resist:
Armor Class:

Code: Select all

Damage Resistances:
		     DT	   DR
Normal:
Laser:
Fire:
Plasma:
Explode:
-SKILLS-
Small Guns:
Big Guns:
Energy Weapons:
Unarmed:
Melee Weapons:
Throwing:
First Aid:
Doctor:
Sneak:
Lockpick:
Steal:
Traps:
Science:
Repair:
Pilot:
Speech:
Barter:
Gambling:
Outdoorsman:

Traits:
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Character creation

#2 Post by Fulci »

We will be using the Unseen Servant dice roller. Please, create a character (just put her/his name in the character sheet) and link it to the Vaults & Wastelands campaign.

Campaign ID is 393!
G A M E S :

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rukellian »

Here is my character sheet for Fulci's approval. :)
Name: Lawrence (Nightshift general mechanic)
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Hair: Chestnut Brown
Eyes: Brown
Height: 1.83 m
Weight: 178 lbs

Level: 1
Experience: 0

ST: 5
PE: 6 (7 at night, 5 during the day)
EN: 4
CH: 4
IN: 9 (10 at night, 8 during the day)
AG: 6
LK: 5

Hit Points: 28
Carry Weight: 150 lbs
Action Points: 8
Sequence: 14 at night, 10 during the day
Melee Damage: 1
Critical Chance: 5%
Healing Rate: 1
Poison Resist: 20%
Radiation Resist: 8%
Gas Resist: 0/0
Electricity Resist: 30%
Armor Class: 6

Code:

DT DR
Normal:
Laser:
Fire:
Plasma:
Explode:

Small Guns: 29%
Big Guns: 12%
Energy Weapons: 12%
Unarmed: 52%
Melee Weapons: 62%
Throwing: 24%
First Aid: 26% at night, 22% during the day
Doctor: 22% at night, 18% during the day
Sneak: 23%
Lockpick: 38% at night, 36% during the day
Steal: 18%
Traps: 23% at night, 21% during the day
Science: 75% at night, 67% during the day
Repair: 65% at night, 59% during the day
Pilot: 26% at night, 22% during the day
Speech: 20%
Barter: 16%
Gambling: 25%
Outdoorsman: 28% at night, 24% during the day

Traits:
Night Person (-1 IN and PE during the day, 0601-1800, and +1 IN and PE during the night, 1801-0600)
Tech Wizard (+15% to Science, Repair and Lockpicking, -1 to PE, hunched back when sitting)

Lawrence's childhood pinned him as the typical nerd. He was always hunched over, his nose in a book, and he would always get high grades in class but found himself lacking in the social and physical skills. His teacher was his only friend as far as he knew. When he came of age and was old enough to work for a living and be on his own, he readily took up the dreaded night shift. He knew a lot about machines and overall vault maintenance due to all of the books he read. He was most awake during the long nights too, thanks to his studying habits. Suffice to say, he got the job of night shift mechanic without much hassle. In fact, they practically threw it at him.

The hum of machinery, the creaks and groans of various pipes, the flickering of light fixtures, and the clicking of keyboard buttons became his life. It was all he heard, and all he needed. Friends were hard to come by given the hours he worked, and those who did go out of their way to meet him, only piled on broken stuff for him to fix. 'Favors'. And his reward each time? 'Thanks'. His life was like this for a good few years until...
I am leaving my character backstory open to changes. As the other players shape their own character's they may want to have some sort of connection with Lawrence. Could be that they are on good terms with him, bad terms, strictly on business, or have just heard rumors of his existence :lol: I will edit his backstory accordingly if I like where certain stories are heading. Who knows? He might just have a friend yet and didn't even know it! :)
Last edited by Rukellian on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Fulci »

Rukellian:

The only minor issue I see is your PE rating:
PE: 7 (7 at night, 5 during the day)
The base rating should be 6.

Also, please, recalculate the related skills. Your First Aid is 2 x (PE+AG) = 2 x (7+6) = 26% by night and 2 x (5+6) = 22% during the day.
G A M E S :

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rukellian »

Hmmm, is my math off? I start off with 5 in each stat. I am given the option to add and subtract so long as it equals out, right? We are given an additional 5 points to work with on top of the base 5 for each stat. So...

5 +2
5 -1
5 -1
5 +4
5 +1

My perception would be at 7 normally, but with night person and tech wizard active at the same time, the night time value would go down one but balance out by going back up one. During the day, it would drop by two. So in other words, it will be normal at night, but have a -2 penalty during the day. Does this all add up or am I overlooking something :?

Ah, overlooked the first aid one, thanks!
Last edited by Rukellian on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Fulci »

Rukellian wrote:Hmmm, is my math off? I start off with 5 in each stat. I am given the option to add and subtract so long as it equals out, right? We are given an additional 5 points to work with on top of the base 5 for each stat. So...

5 +2
5 -1
5 -1
5 +4
5 +1

My perception would be at 7 normally, but with night person and tech wizard active at the same time, the night time value would go down one but balance out by going back up one. During the day, it would drop by two. So in other words, it will be normal at night, but have a -2 penalty during the day. Does this all add up or am I overlooking something :?
Yeah, your Traits stack, which leads to some confusion.

My interpretation is that your Tech Wiz negative mod. applies to the BASE stat, so it comes before the Night Person trait. If you are shortsighted, you are shortsighted both day and night.

You start with PE 5
-you spend two points
PE 7
-you take Tech Wiz
PE 6
-apply Night Person: 7 by night, 6 during the day
G A M E S :

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rukellian »

Fulci wrote:
Rukellian wrote:Hmmm, is my math off? I start off with 5 in each stat. I am given the option to add and subtract so long as it equals out, right? We are given an additional 5 points to work with on top of the base 5 for each stat. So...

5 +2
5 -1
5 -1
5 +4
5 +1

Yeah, your Traits stack, which leads to some confusion.

My interpretation is that your Tech Wiz negative mod. applies to the BASE stat, so it comes before the Night Person trait. If you are shortsighted, you are shortsighted both day and night.

You start with PE 5
-you spend two points
PE 7
-you take Tech Wiz
PE 6
Hmmm, I can understand the base of six before applying night person, I will switch that out shortly, but then I want to make sure I read night person correctly. If my PE base is at 6 now, it would still go down by one point during the day due to being a night person, as well as my IN, 7 PE by night, and 5 PE during the day.

So the way I see it in layman's terms: My guy has poor eyesight (probably wears glasses), Stat Debuff in effect, Tech Wizard. During the night, he is more awake Stat Buff in effect, Night Person. During the day, he is sleepy and his eyes have a harder time staying open, alert, Stat Debuff in effect, Night Person.

.... honest, I don't usually like arguing with people, especially when they say my stats should be higher! :lol: But I am a stickler on these sort of things, unfortunately. If you still do not think that that's how night person works, I will back down and bump my 5 PE during the day up to 6 :roll: The DM/GM has the final say after all ;)
Last edited by Rukellian on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Fulci »

Okay, I confused myself as well a bit and made a typo in my previous post...
This:
should be read as "7 by night, 5 during the day".

So we are in agreement!
G A M E S :

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I submit my character for tribute! And acceptance...
Name: Quincy Barnes
Race: Vault Human
Hair: Light Brown - Short and well kept
Eyes: Hazel
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 155

Level:
Experience:

ST: 4
PE: 7
EN: 5
CH: 5
IN: 8
AG: 6
LK: 6

Hit Points: 29
Carry Weight: 60
Sequence: 14
Melee Damage: 1
Critical Chance: 6
Healing Rate: 1
Poison Resist: 25
Radiation Resist: 10
Electricity Resist: 30
Armor Class: 6

Damage Resistances:
		     DT	   DR
Normal:
Laser:
Fire:
Plasma:
Explode:
-SKILLS-
Small Guns: 19
Big Guns: 2
Energy Weapons: 2
Unarmed: 40
Melee Weapons: 30
Throwing: 24
First Aid (TAG): 64
Doctor (TAG): 60
Sneak: 23
Lockpick: 23
Steal: 18
Traps: 23
Science: 32
Repair: 24
Pilot: 23
Speech (TAG): 65
Barter: 40
Gambling: 30
Outdoorsman: 23

Traits:
Good Natured: 20% bonus to First Aid, Doctor, Speech, and Barter and 10% penalty to small guns, big guns, energy weapons, unarmed, melee weapons,
Small Frame: 1 bonus point to AGI but carry weight is only 15lbs X Strength

Backstory:
Quincy was the son of the vault head physician, and was trained by his father to take over his duties when the time came. Growing up he valued the teachings of his father and strived to be a good person, resorting to persuasion and kindness rather than violence or trickery, his skills helped him get out of trouble when off playing with his friends as kids and being thinner and more lithe than the others really meant he could be places he was not supposed to be. He lived inside the vault all his life and he cared for everyone as close friends and family, but he knew the stories of the outside world and the different things that could have happened to those not lucky enough to get into the vaults, and he never stopped wondering if he could ever help those people one day.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

My Character for reviewing :)
Name: Maxim "Max" Rokossovsky
Race: Human (Vault Dweller)
Hair: Dark Brown - Short, and slightly spiked up
Eyes: Green
Height: 6' 5"
Weight: 210 lbs

Level:
Experience:

ST: 7
PE: 5
EN: 6
CH: 5
IN: 5
AG: 7
LK: 5

Hit Points: 34
Carry Weight: 200 lbs
Sequence: 10
Melee Damage: 2
Critical Chance: 5%
Healing Rate: 2
Poison Resist: 40%
Radiation Resist: 12%
Electricity Resist: 0%
Armor Class: 7

Damage Resistances: 0%
		     DT	   DR
Normal:
Laser:
Fire:
Plasma:
Explode:
-SKILLS-
Small Guns (Tag): 53%
Big Guns: 14%
Energy Weapons: 14%
Unarmed: 58%
Melee Weapons: 48%
Throwing: 28%
First Aid : 22%
Doctor: 15%
Sneak: 26%
Lockpick: 22%
Steal: 21%
Traps: 22%
Science: 20%
Repair (Tag): 35%
Pilot: 24%
Speech: 25%
Barter (Tag): 40%
Gambling: 25%
Outdoorsman: 22%

Traits:
Chem Resistant
Chems only effect you half as long as
normal, but your chance to be addicted
is only 50% the normal amount.
Backstory:
No real backstory to be had here Born in the vault raised in the vault likely will die in the vault. Father is the repairman of the vault and I decided to take up security as my part in the vault however dad did manage to teach me a lot about repairing things as well as his skills in bartering for deals and better prices. Everyone knows me as Max in the vault I'm hoping eventually to one day leave the vault but we shall see how that works out. My friends have a similar urge for adventure outside of the vault.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Fulci »

@MonkeyWrench:
Accepted! You can post it in the finished section.
You father, the Vault physician, will be an NPC.

@GreyWolfVT:
Looks good, approved!

The Chem Resistant trait is useful in the computer games because of the abundance of various drugs (including combat drugs etc. that some players use). These are less common in our version. Also, keep in mind that the trait shortens the duration of all chems, including, for example Rad-X (which is not addictive).
I'm giving you a 10% bonus to Poison Resistance against non-natural poisons to balance this.
G A M E S :

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rukellian »

Hey, I was thinking... perhaps Lawrence works along side Max's father? Oh wait, maybe they work different shifts? Would make sense either way.

It's good we got a doc on the team too!

Anything else that needs to be fixed on my sheet Fulci, or is it ready for the finished character thread as well?

Can't wait to see what the others cook up :)

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Fulci »

Rukellian wrote:Hey, I was thinking... perhaps Lawrence works along side Max's father? Oh wait, maybe they work different shifts? Would make sense either way.
Makes sense, Max's father is probably the head of all mechanics! I will add him as an NPC as well.

If you are done with the skills, you can post it!
G A M E S :

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Fulci wrote: @GreyWolfVT:
Looks good, approved!

The Chem Resistant trait is useful in the computer games because of the abundance of various drugs (including combat drugs etc. that some players use). These are less common in our version. Also, keep in mind that the trait shortens the duration of all chems, including, for example Rad-X (which is not addictive).
I'm giving you a 10% bonus to Poison Resistance against non-natural poisons to balance this.
Noted. Edited and updated the posted sheet above. I am used to not using Rad-X and just using the radaway instead.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Fulci wrote:@MonkeyWrench:
Will do! I'm glad I got the approval, took me way too long to figure out what the PDF meant with those skill formulas :lol: :?
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by FantasyChic »

Didn't see this until just now. So, I will work on this tomorrow (today...Sunday..whatever don't judge me!) and have it all set for your approval.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Lol, some of us are still up. Don't feel too bad.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Fulci »

MonkeyWrench wrote:
Will do! I'm glad I got the approval, took me way too long to figure out what the PDF meant with those skill formulas :lol: :?
That's why the Excel character sheet I posted is very useful!
FantasyChic wrote:Didn't see this until just now. So, I will work on this tomorrow (today...Sunday..whatever don't judge me!) and have it all set for your approval.

Take your time to familiarize yourself with the system if needed!
G A M E S :

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by FantasyChic »

Before I finish, can someone explain something to me. I am working on skills and I am wondering something. When it says that a skill is a % plus whatever, does that mean you add .1 to the skill? As in if my ST and AG equal 9 and you add 10% to it, it would be 9.1%? Just kind of confused on that.

And I would do it on Excel, but I don't have Excel at the moment.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Fulci wrote:
MonkeyWrench wrote:
That's why the Excel character sheet I posted is very useful!
FantasyChic wrote:Didn't see this until just now. So, I will work on this tomorrow (today...Sunday..whatever don't judge me!) and have it all set for your approval.

Take your time to familiarize yourself with the system if needed!
Not everyone has MS Office to use excel btw ;)
FantasyChic wrote:Before I finish, can someone explain something to me. I am working on skills and I am wondering something. When it says that a skill is a % plus whatever, does that mean you add .1 to the skill? As in if my ST and AG equal 9 and you add 10% to it, it would be 9.1%? Just kind of confused on that.

And I would do it on Excel, but I don't have Excel at the moment.
No, you make it all a % number so it is 9 + 10 = 19% :) hope that clears that part up.

Return to “Vaults & Wastelands - Fallout PnP”